The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Food Thread - Fish Stories

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:38 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:49 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:01 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:52 am
https://www.getthecoast.com/massive-832 ... te-record/

832 lb bluefin
I remember reading something quite a while ago that said some tuna sell for $60,000 or more. Not a bad day's work.
"At the first bluefin tuna auction of 2019 in Japan, a 612-pound fish sold for a record $3 million."

In the US the same 612 lb tuna would bring about $6,000 for the whole undressed fish.

I can't explain why the radioactive Japanese tuna sell for so much more than Gulf and Atlantic tuna.
:shock: I can't see any way in hell one fish is worth 3 million. No way can enough edible tuna be gleaned from it. I estimate the loss on that fish to the buyer was in excess of 2.75 million.
Sadly too many fishers involved, there's nothing for the record books if there's more than one reeling it in.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/832 ... d-florida/

"In order for a fishing record to be certified it needs to have been caught by one fisherman. The vast majority of recreational and serious anglers on the planet know this. It’s just part of the game. The same is true for Big Game fishing tournaments where there are typically designated anglers.

The reason this 832-pound Bluefin Tuna caught in Destin isn’t a new state fishing record is because the listed angler is “whole team”, meaning that everyone on the boat took turns fighting the fish."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by O Really »

That's a beautiful fish. I'd almost feel guilty eating it.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:06 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:04 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:54 pm
To stay on topic, here's FOOD for thought......virtually all of us here that were teenagers in the late 60's and early 70's know the sound of rock and roll guitars. What most people don't realize is that a lot of those tones were actually distortion from the guitar amplifiers. The Beatles and most other English bands used Vox amplifiers equipped with Mullard tubes. Mullards break up nicely when overdriven but had those amplifiers been equipped with RCA or Amperex or Telefunken tubes, the sound would have been noticeably different and our own definition of what sounds "good" would also be different. An EL34 Mullard tube that sold for around $3 in 1965 will cost you about $200 or more now depending on how it tests for emissions and transconductance. I use Dutch made EL34's.
How about posting an audio clip of your guitar work? Along with a food recipe, of course.
And the best way to roll a spleef.
Back when I smoked, I used one of those little rolling gizmos. Then when I toured Guatemala in the late 70's I picked up a little clay pipe, which AFAIK I still have. No rolling, no paper required. It's pretty cool, hand-made with a little scary face on the bowl end.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:32 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:24 am
That's a beautiful fish. I'd almost feel guilty eating it.
"almost" maybe for the 1 minute it takes to blacken the top and bottom.

I love those tuna martinis or tutinis or what ever they are called.

Best of all is butchering one just pulled out of the water and picking the meat off the bones with your fingers.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I'm having green beans and white potatoes with a nice piece of pork seasoning, corn bread with butter and milk. It would cost a thousand dollars at a trump dump.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I had steamed French green beans and asparagus last night, with some rib eye steak.

Yum.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Just watched a great video from PBS/American Experience: The Poison Squad.

Anybody else seen it?

O Really
Admiral

The shortage of baby formula is getting a lot of coverage. Lady O said she had no idea so many women had no boobs. Anyway, the New York Times had an article about in in which it appeared they went out of their way to find a person to interview who would hold up the Southern California cultural stereotypes. Kinda like reporters after a tornado looking around until they find the one who'll say "Gollee, it sounded just like a freight train."

From the article
In Oceanside, California, north of San Diego, Darice Browning was recently despondent after failing to find formula for her 10-month-old daughter, Octavia, who cannot eat solid foods. “I was freaking out, crying on the floor and my husband, Lane, came home from work and he’s like, ‘What’s wrong?’” Browning said, “and I’m like, ‘Dude, I can’t feed our kids, I don’t know what to do.’”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:40 pm
The shortage of baby formula is getting a lot of coverage. Lady O said she had no idea so many women had no boobs. Anyway, the New York Times had an article about in in which it appeared they went out of their way to find a person to interview who would hold up the Southern California cultural stereotypes. Kinda like reporters after a tornado looking around until they find the one who'll say "Gollee, it sounded just like a freight train."

From the article
In Oceanside, California, north of San Diego, Darice Browning was recently despondent after failing to find formula for her 10-month-old daughter, Octavia, who cannot eat solid foods. “I was freaking out, crying on the floor and my husband, Lane, came home from work and he’s like, ‘What’s wrong?’” Browning said, “and I’m like, ‘Dude, I can’t feed our kids, I don’t know what to do.’”
More idiocy being talked about ....

➡️ viewtopic.php?p=167974#p167974
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
The shortage of baby formula is getting a lot of coverage....
The view from Fortune:

America is running out of baby formula because 3 companies control the market and babies aren’t that profitable

Near-monopoly "capitalism", ain't it grand?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:46 pm
O Really wrote:
The shortage of baby formula is getting a lot of coverage....
The view from Fortune:

America is running out of baby formula because 3 companies control the market and babies aren’t that profitable

Near-monopoly "capitalism", ain't it grand?
Not near, but full on monopolies. They all work together.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Food Thread - Can't afford the fish

Grouper at the local fish market is $37/lb.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm
That's outrageous robbery. We haven't seen anything close to that - I bought halibut this morning for the same $19 it's been for a long time. We did go into a high dollar store in high dollar Del Mar a month or so ago and found some prices in the upper 20's to low 30's, but $37 - damn.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm
That's outrageous robbery. We haven't seen anything close to that - I bought halibut this morning for the same $19 it's been for a long time. We did go into a high dollar store in high dollar Del Mar a month or so ago and found some prices in the upper 20's to low 30's, but $37 - damn.
Grouper has been in the low 20s due to quotas. Maybe this has to do with fuel.

O Really
Admiral

I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of wasted grouper until the price adjusts a bit. I wouldn't buy it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:21 pm
I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of wasted grouper until the price adjusts a bit. I wouldn't buy it.
I didn't. Mullet was $1.79

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:37 pm
O Really wrote:
How do you cook the mullet?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:43 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
Most people fry it, but I don't fry much of anything these days. Exceptions being fish fry parties.
Poached, baked, saute, grilled.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:42 am
O Really wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:43 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
Most people fry it, but I don't fry much of anything these days. Exceptions being fish fry parties.
Poached, baked, saute, grilled.
Smoked! 🐟
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.