2022 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: 2022 elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Wow, a touch of sanity breaks out to the south.

I'm a little shocked.

Lula Narrowly Wins Brazil's High-Stakes Election, Ending Bolsonaro’s Far-Right Presidency

This is not shocking however.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 pm

I'm a little shocked.

Lula Narrowly Wins Brazil's High-Stakes Election, Ending Bolsonaro’s Far-Right Presidency
Lula! Lula! Lula!
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Maybe when Bannon gets done serving his prison sentence in the US he can go to Brazil and serve one there too. 😁
Lmao Steve Bannon's greatest hits 😂
All the songs sound exactly the same. 🎶
Right? It’s like CW music.
He can’t resist undermining democracy at home and abroad
He wants world wide chaos
This is the dry run before the real thing next week.
are the Brazilians going to steal elections here?
Turns out fascism is repugnant to decent people. Who knew?!
They're such MASTERMINDS and GENIUSES and great "leaders," yet their agenda continuously allows their opponents to "STEAL" elections from them? They're obviously incompetent, since this happens EVERY time. Of all the LUCK!
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 pm

I'm a little shocked.

Also not shocking - Bolsonaro has yet to concede, though he MIGHT do so in a speech this evening. We'll see.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:24 pm
Also not shocking - Bolsonaro has yet to concede, though he MIGHT do so in a speech this evening. We'll see.
I guess his talk was delayed until this afternoon.
Brazil's Bolsonaro doesn't concede election, but authorizes transition
Bolsonaro’s address didn’t mention election results — he lost by a thin margin — but he said he will continue to follow the rules of the nation’s constitution.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday did not concede the election he lost to leftist Lula da Silva in a brief speech that marked his first comments since results were released two days ago.

But afterward, Chief-of-Staff Ciro Nogueira told reporters that Bolsonaro has authorized him to begin the transition process.

Bolsonaro’s address didn’t mention election results, but he said he will continue to follow the rules of the nation’s constitution.
Whatever that means.
... Bolsonaro lost Sunday’s race by a thin margin, garnering 49.1% of the vote to da Silva’s 50.9%, according to the nation’s electoral authority. It was the tightest presidential race since Brazil’s return to democracy in 1985 and marks the first time Bolsonaro has lost an election in his 34-year political career, including seven races for a seat in Congress’ Lower House.
Phew. How do we know that it wasn't pro-Bolsonaro fraud that made it that close?
Much like former U.S. President Donald Trump, whom Bolsonaro openly admires, the far-right incumbent has repeatedly questioned the reliability of the country’s electoral system, claiming electronic voting machines are prone to fraud. He never provided any proof, even when ordered to do so by the electoral court.
Coward. Is it over? Maybe not:
That has led many political analysts to warn that Bolsonaro appeared to be laying the groundwork to reject election results.

In recent days, and without a public statement from Bolsonaro, truck drivers and other supporters of his blocked hundreds of roads across the country. Many said the election had been fraudulent and some called for military intervention and for Congress and the Supreme Court to be disbanded.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Always helpful.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:35 pm
Always helpful.
She wants more coverage of violent RW crybabies that can't accept LOSING?

I'm watching a TV show about a sniper. Your mention of EmptyG gives me impure ideas. :twisted:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:20 pm

I'm watching a TV show about a sniper. Your mention of EmptyG gives me impure ideas. :twisted:
Don't go there. :shock:

Hard to get back.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Hard to get back.
Too much fun?

Personal experience?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:50 pm

Too much fun?

Personal experience?
Ask no questions and I'll tell you no lies. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:50 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... I'm watching a TV show about a sniper. Your mention of EmptyG gives me impure ideas. :twisted:

Hard to get back.
Too much fun?

Personal experience?
Ask no questions and I'll tell you no lies. :lol:
Speaking of secret murderous intent, it's :bs: that the GQP has seized the crime issue when in reality the soaring crime rate began with TRE45QN in office and is as bad or worse in rural areas and RepuQ-run cities and states.

EPIC! MSNBC Chris Hayes did a Fox News crime ad on Oklahoma crime like (racist) Fox does on the Blue States.

:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Judge orders armed group away from Arizona ballot drop boxes

A federal judge on Tuesday ordered armed members of a group monitoring ballot drop boxes in Arizona to stay at least 250 feet away from the locations following complaints that people wearing masks and carrying guns were intimidating voters.

U.S. District Court Judge Michael Liburdi said members of Clean Elections USA, its leader and anyone working with them are also barred from filming or following anyone within 75 feet (23 meters) of a ballot drop box or the entrance to a building that houses one. They also cannot speak to or yell at individuals within that perimeter unless spoken to first.

The temporary restraining order was requested by the League of Women Voters of Arizona after Clean Elections USA, encouraged people to watch 24-hour ballot boxes in Maricopa County, Arizona’s most populous county.

“It is paramount that we balance the rights of the defendant to engage in their constitutionally protected First Amendment activity with the interest in the plaintiffs and in voters casting a vote free of harassment and intimidation,” Liburdi said.

A second set of defendants in rural Yavapai County — groups known as the Lions of Liberty and the Yavapai County Preparedness team, who are associated with the far-right anti-government group Oath Keepers — were dismissed from the case on Monday after they pledged to stand down their operations....

Other stipulations include the groups post on their websites and social media that it is untrue that dropping off multiple ballots is illegal in all cases. Exceptions are allowed for family members, members of the same household and caregivers.
:---P This will fuck with the RW terrorists and their fanboys. The judge's name literally begins with "Lib", but:
... The judge is a Trump appointee and a member of the Federalist Society, a conservative legal organization....
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:49 pm
... Fetterman should have withdrawn so that the Dems could appoint a winning replacement. It wouldn't have taken much vs Oz the Quack, and Fetterman could have always run anew once sufficiently recovered. The literal fate of the nation may rest on one blown debate.
Knock on wood, maybe I was wrong.
It's unanimous: Pennsylvania voters still find Oz icky

Following last week's single debate in the Pennsylvania Senate race, election analysts and GOP operatives alike obsessed over whether voters would sour on Democratic nominee John Fetterman because the aftereffects of his stroke were plainly evident.

... "I'll be much better in January, but he will still be a fraud," Fetterman told Pennsylvania Democrats, echoing remarks he has made elsewhere....
:thumbup: Good line.
Voters seem to agree on that point. As I wrote last week, the real determinative factor in the Pennsylvania Senate race may actually be whether Oz can overcome his ick factor.

Two post-debate polls now suggest Oz's performance did nothing to improve his sky-high unfavorable rating with voters. In fact, Oz's favorables both before and after that debate are remarkably similar—and they are not good.

A pre-debate CNN/SSRS poll (Oct. 13 - 17) found that Oz was 17 points underwater among likely voters, 38% favorable - 55% unfavorable, and 21 points underwater among registered voters, 35% - 56%.

Fetterman fared far better in the survey, with a 48% favorable - 46% unfavorable rating among likely voters and a similar 46% - 45% favorable rating among registered voters.

Overall, the CNN/SSRS poll gave Fetterman a narrow 2-point edge over Oz, 51% - 49%.

Now, two post-debate polls show very similar findings.

Monmouth University
Oz: 40% - 53% favorable, -13
Fetterman: 47% - 46% favorable, +1

Muhlenberg College/Morning Call
Oz: 31% - 55% favorable, -24
Fetterman: 45% - 46%, -1

... Ultimately, Monmouth concluded, the "Senate debate shows little impact."

While Monmouth never asked a direct head-to-head question of voters, 48% said they would either definitely or probably vote for Fetterman, while 44% said the same of Oz (almost unchanged from the outfit’s 48% - 43% split favoring Fetterman last month)....

Make no mistake, the Pennsylvania Senate contest remains tight, while Democratic gubernatorial nominee Josh Shapiro is a double-digit favorite to win his race against forced birther and Christian nationalist Doug Mastriano.
:clap:
But the question driving the race still appears to be whether Oz can rise above the highly unfavorable view voters have of him rather than Fetterman's fitness for office.

In other words, a stroke recovery is temporary, assholery is forever.
:thumbup: :lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How Fetterman drew Oprah into the race against Oz

John Fetterman and his allies have been trying to nab Oprah Winfrey’s endorsement for months.

On Thursday, they landed their target, as the superstar announced at a virtual get-out-the-vote event that she is supporting the Democrat in Pennsylvania’s critical race for the Senate.

“I said it was up to the citizens of Pennsylvania and of course, but I will tell you all this, if I lived in Pennsylvania, I would have already cast my vote for John Fetterman for many reasons,” Winfrey said.

The comments are a big deal not only because of Winfrey’s unique status among women, Black people, and many other Americans — but also because she helped make Fetterman’s Republican opponent, Mehmet Oz, famous.

Oz, a celebrity doctor, regularly appeared on Winfrey’s talk show as a guest before he launched “The Dr. Oz Show.” ...
A little late, O, given that you created the Oz-monster.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:03 am

A little late, O, given that you created the Oz-monster.
Who knows, maybe a late endorsement gets some couch sitters to get up at the last minute.

This runup to this election is so effing bizarre, I don't know what to believe. A month ago polls were promising for dems, today it looks like a bloodbath.

Two polls released today, both by fairly reputable pollsters, each with a slight bias one left one right on the Pennsylvania Senate race.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/#!

An eight point difference outside the margin of error four days before the election?

I am not trusting polls at this point and am wondering if the silent MAGA voters of 2016 are no longer silent and more likely to talk to a pollster.

I've never been polled and probably never will as I don't answer my phone to unknown numbers and these days the question begs as to who does and doesn't answer those type of calls.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

As others have noted, no matter who wins, the fact that some of those races are even close is horrifying. And even if the Huns are beat back from the gate this election, it will likely only be a short reprieve. Its good to be old.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:26 am
... Two polls released today, both by fairly reputable pollsters, each with a slight bias one left one right on the Pennsylvania Senate race.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/#! ...
Not sure what you saw. The "Latest Polls" list constantly varies and here are the PA Sen polls:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7695.html
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:55 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:26 am
... Two polls released today, both by fairly reputable pollsters, each with a slight bias one left one right on the Pennsylvania Senate race.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/#! ...
Not sure what you saw. The "Latest Polls" list constantly varies and here are the PA Sen polls:
Under latest polls for Friday it was Marist and Trafalgar.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:57 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:55 am
Under latest polls for Friday it was Marist and Trafalgar.
Ah, I didn't know what you meant by "An eight point difference outside the margin of error four days before the election?"

I see it now.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:43 am
As others have noted, no matter who wins, the fact that some of those races are even close is horrifying. And even if the Huns are beat back from the gate this election, it will likely only be a short reprieve. Its good to be old.
My Congresswoman, Diana Harshbarger, as well as the governor, Bill Lee, are both running for re election. They are so confident of their victory that I have not seen one ad on tv for either of them. And TN Dems are so demoralized that I've not seen one ad by them. But I figure to still go vote against the incumbents next week. sick

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:27 am
My Congresswoman, Diana Harshbarger, as well as the governor, Bill Lee, are both running for re election. They are so confident of their victory that I have not seen one ad on tv for either of them. And TN Dems are so demoralized that I've not seen one ad by them. But I figure to still go vote against the incumbents next week. sick
Along with ads in competitive races, I've got the opposite problem - incessant ads for sure bet RepuQs, specifically wannabe NC11 Rep Chuck Edwards, US Sen Tim Scott and SC Gov Henry McMaster. They're not positive or unifying in triumph, they're as nasty as any competitive race ads.

Just as bad as MadCaw, not as stupid and rude, will be more effective. :roll:

Tim Scott: Union Bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euLVWr0QqIE
Peggy seems trans-obsessed, hmmm. Do I detect an Adam's apple?
1312. ETTD.