Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:02 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:56 pm
Not good.

Broken foot. Out for year.
Hah, you just beat me to it. Posted anyhow 'cause it's funny. Are you watching Football Night in America on NBC?
Broken foot, will "miss rest of the year". :(
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:04 pm

Broken foot, will "miss rest of the year". :(
Hah, you just beat me to it. Posted anyhow 'cause it's funny. Are you watching Football Night in America on NBC?
Yeah, heard it there first.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-garoppol ... p_catchall
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sounds like Garoppolo will miss playoff games, too, though that may be moot now.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:14 pm
You left out (perfectly understandable) Browns at Texans.

Go Texans?

Watson playing in his first game in almost two years.

Hope he's hit early and often and has a miserable return.
Deshaun Watson struggles in return from sexual-misconduct investigation, but Browns defense dominates

Browns won 27-14. Poor Houston.
Deshaun Watson struggles, is booed in return with Browns

... Although NRG Stadium was half-empty, Watson was loudly booed before every Browns snap throughout the game.

"They're supposed to boo," Watson said. "I'm a Cleveland Brown now, and we're on the road, so they're supposed to boo." ...
:roll:
12/22, 131 YDS, 6.0 AVG/ATT, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1-1 SACKS, 28.6 QBR
Ravens say QB Lamar Jackson's knee injury not season-ending

... Jackson is scheduled to undergo more testing Monday. Harbaugh said the team would know by Wednesday at the latest on how long Jackson will be sidelined.

"It's going to be a number [of] days to weeks. We'll see," Harbaugh said. "We'll see if he can go back this week. If not, it'll be sometime after that shortly." ...
Phew.

The ultimate Kaaron:
DeShone Kizer: Aaron Rodgers asked me if I believe in 9/11

Maybe Aaron Rodgers should finish his career with the Seahawks.

Seattle coach Pete Carroll has shown some 9/11 truther tendencies. So, apparently, has Rodgers.

Appearing on The Breneman Show podcast, former Packers quarterback DeShone Kizer said that Rodgers asked Kizer whether he believes that 9/11 actually happened.

“The first thing that comes out of Aaron Rodgers’s mouth was, ‘You believe in 9/11?’” Kizer said. “‘What? Do I believe in 9/11? Yeah, why wouldn’t I?’”

Rodgers told Kizer that he should “read up on that.”

Apparently, Rodgers got through to Kizer, not only about the conspiracy theory that 9/11 was an inside job but also other batshit-crazy concepts that plenty of people apparently believe in, contrary to all evidence, logic, and common sense.

“Inner Earth, moon landing, reptile people,” Kizer said. “Y’all are laughing. Go do your research, I’m telling you. Go do your research.”

Oh yes. The dreaded reptile people....
Oh no, PC, too:
Is Pete Carroll A 9/11 Truther?
Published June 13, 2013

Is Seahawks coach Pete Carroll a 9/11 truther? That all depends: Does badgering a former four-star general about whether 9/11 was real make one a truther?

... But Chiarelli's mention of Iraq sent Carroll in another direction: He wanted to know if the September 11 attacks had been planned or faked by the United States government.

In particular, Carroll wanted to know whether the attack on the Pentagon had really happened. Chiarelli—who was the top-ranking Army official inside the Pentagon when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into its western side—explained that it had. He said he had lost many colleagues. But Carroll didn't stop there. He ran through the whole 9/11 truther litany.

"Every 9/11 conspiracy theory you can think of, Pete asked about," said Riki Ellison, the former NFL linebacker who now runs the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance and introduced Carroll to Chiarelli. Ellison, along with Seahawks offensive line coach Pat Ruel, was at the meeting as well....
Sigh.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There were over 3,000 people killed on 9/11. Using 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, that means that almost everybody in the US knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody personally that died there or their family. That was about the time when I started doing work for the Metro North railway and PATH commuter trains. PATH offices were in the bottom of World Trade Center. I was lucky not to be there that week, but knew some people killed. 9/11 "truthers" are scum as far as I'm concerned and if any of them got their own selves crushed or burned I wouldn't be unhappy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:07 pm
There were over 3,000 people killed on 9/11. Using 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, that means that almost everybody in the US knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody personally that died there or their family. That was about the time when I started doing work for the Metro North railway and PATH commuter trains. PATH offices were in the bottom of World Trade Center. I was lucky not to be there that week, but knew some people killed. 9/11 "truthers" are scum as far as I'm concerned and if any of them got their own selves crushed or burned I wouldn't be unhappy.
:thumbup: x 2,977.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:57 pm
... I usually skip more games, but there were all contrasts this week and playoff implications are becoming more apparent. Hence, I picked Indy over Dallas, for example.
Geez :puke-left:
8-3-1

The Pats need to dump Matt Patricia if Tom Brady returns
TB12's return would make New England a force in the AFC again — as long as the play-caller/OC doesn't sabotage the offense at every turn

Seriously, another year and with the Pats? :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:26 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:17 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:04 pm
Yeah, but it was the fact that it took food out of poor peoples' mouths or whatever, PLUS that it was a famous sports idol that made it a scandal. Take the money out of the road fund and/or have it done at the request of some nameless rich Southern Miss alum political contributor, and it would have been just garden variety Mis-sippy back room politics.

Now if you want to argue that Favre is a general purpose sleazebag, I wouldn't oppose. But in this instance he may have a point that he's "unjustly smeared."
I see your point, but I'll reserve judgement. There seem to be new revelations every week.

In general, taking "food out of poor peoples' mouths" IS "garden variety Mis-sippy back room politics," and Favre should know to stay far far away from all potential sleaze.
The fact that it's Seventy Seven Million Dollars in Mississippi should've raised flags that I's needed to be dotted and T's crossed. Smells like three day old fish.
It's reeking 5 times as bad:
Mississippi revises demands on Favre in welfare lawsuit

The Mississippi Department of Human Services on Monday changed its demands against retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre in a lawsuit that seeks repayment of misspent welfare money that was intended to help some of the poorest people in the U.S.

The department dropped its demand of $1.1 million against Favre, acknowledging he has already repaid that money for an unfulfilled pledge of public speeches. But it made a new demand of up to $5 million against Favre and a university sports foundation, saying money from an anti-poverty program was improperly used to pay for a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi.

The volleyball facility was a pet project of Favre, and he pledged to lead fundraising efforts for it. Previous filings in the civil lawsuit show text message exchanges between Favre and others about directing money to the volleyball facility from a nonprofit organization that had Human Services contracts. But until Monday, the Human Services lawsuit had not sought to recoup money for the facility....

The Mississippi Department of Human Services on Monday changed its demands against retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre in a lawsuit that seeks repayment of misspent welfare money that was intended to help some of the poorest people in the U.S.

The department dropped its demand of $1.1 million against Favre, acknowledging he has already repaid that money for an unfulfilled pledge of public speeches. But it made a new demand of up to $5 million against Favre and a university sports foundation, saying money from an anti-poverty program was improperly used to pay for a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi.

The volleyball facility was a pet project of Favre, and he pledged to lead fundraising efforts for it. Previous filings in the civil lawsuit show text message exchanges between Favre and others about directing money to the volleyball facility from a nonprofit organization that had Human Services contracts. But until Monday, the Human Services lawsuit had not sought to recoup money for the facility....
:puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left:
:obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

?

They're letting him personally off the hook and spreading the liability so someone else will pay?
But it made a new demand of up to $5 million against Favre and a university sports foundation...
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Reeks, sure, but I'm still having a hard time seeing Favre as the worst bad guy here. So he leaned on some state officials with authority to play whack a mole with state funds to direct those state funds to build a volleyball facility at a state school. Favre didn't steal the money, or actually even benefit from it except for giving his kid (and the rest of the volleyball students) a better place to train and play. Or maybe getting the facility named for him - I don't know about that I just made it up. If the original state officials had done the right thing and said "Sorry, Brett, but we just don't have that in the budget ..." then there wouldn't be a scandal at all. I still say it's generic Mississippi sleaze that nobody would have noticed if nobody was named "Favre."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 pm
Reeks, sure, but I'm still having a hard time seeing Favre as the worst bad guy here. So he leaned on some state officials with authority to play whack a mole with state funds to direct those state funds to build a volleyball facility at a state school. Favre didn't steal the money, or actually even benefit from it except for giving his kid (and the rest of the volleyball students) a better place to train and play. Or maybe getting the facility named for him - I don't know about that I just made it up. If the original state officials had done the right thing and said "Sorry, Brett, but we just don't have that in the budget ..." then there wouldn't be a scandal at all. I still say it's generic Mississippi sleaze that nobody would have noticed if nobody was named "Favre."
I can't imagine why Mississippi would be unfairly biased against Favre. If anything I would expect the state to cut him too much slack.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:52 pm

I can't imagine why Mississippi would be unfairly biased against Favre. If anything I would expect the state to cut him too much slack.
Probably, but the trashing of the deal was national. I'm just saying that having the name recognition, notoriety, and connections to ask for the funding means you're going to get hung out to dry when the sleaze oozes out from under the rock.

O Really
Admiral

Well, there is a reason Brady is the GOAT. Still, apparently.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Brady still has the magic at the end.

Unreal.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:16 pm
Brady still has the magic at the end.

Unreal.
:D Great minds . . .
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:46 am
Mon, 12/5, 8:15 PM EST
Saints 4-8 > Brady Bay 5-6 (-3.5)
Unreal. Brady scores 14 in the last 3:03 to win 17-16, his record 45th 4th quarter or OT comeback. TB should use a different QB and save Brady for the last 5 minutes of close games. It now leads the NFC South at 6-6. :roll:

8-4-1
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

8-4 Baltimore still holds a tiebreaker over Cincinnati. :thumbup:
7-5 Tennessee leads a crummy AFC South.
7-5 Seattle is hanging in there behind 8-4 San Francisco. It would be the 3rd NFC Wildcard, barely.
The 7-5 Jets would be the 3rd AFC Wildcard! :thumbup:
O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:15 pm
Well, there is a reason Brady is the GOAT. Still, apparently.
Fun game coming up:
Get to know 49ers QB Brock Purdy, who is expected to start vs. Tom Brady and Buccaneers in Week 14

... Purdy, 22, was 2022's Mr. Irrelevant — the final pick of the NFL draft. After coming into Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins for Garoppolo and leading the Niners to a 33–17 win, he's not irrelevant anymore....

Purdy can ball

Purdy started as quarterback for Perry High School in Arizona, and put up such great numbers in his senior year that recruiters couldn't help but pay attention. Over the 2017-2018 season, Purdy completed 238 of 368 passes for 4,410 yards and 57 touchdowns, and found success with his legs as well, rushing for 1,016 yards with 10 touchdowns. That performance earned him the Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year award.

Purdy, a three-star recruit, received offers from Alabama, Texas A&M, Illinois and UCF, but chose Iowa State. He was the Cyclones' starter for nearly all four years, and racked up an impressive number of school records (over 30), including winningest QB in program history, most passing yards, most completions, highest completion percent and most touchdowns. In 2022, he also won the Big 12 Sportsman of the Year award.

... He came in extremely early as Garoppolo was hurt in the Niners' first offensive drive of the game. Purdy not only had to lead the offense, but had to handle a game plan that was constantly changing. And he managed to do both. He completed 25 of 37 passes for 210 yards and two touchdowns, with one interception....

He could make Mr. Irrelevant history against Tom Brady, Bucs

Through the decades of the NFL draft, only six quarterbacks (including Purdy) have been chosen with the final pick. When Purdy completed his first of four passes in that Week 7 loss, he became the first Mr. Irrelevant to complete a forward pass in a regular-season game. When he connected with Kyle Juszczyk on a 3-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter on Sunday, he became the first Mr. Irrelevant quarterback to throw a TD pass.

Purdy is slated to make his first career start against the Bucs next week, and when he does, he'll be the first Mr. Irrelevant to start a regular-season game at quarterback. Tom Brady, who himself wasn't the highest of draft picks (199th overall), will be making his 330th career start. Following Sunday's game, Purdy told the media that he's thrilled to be facing the GOAT.

"Yeah, I think it's cool," Purdy said. "I think it's really cool. Dude has been playing (NFL) football longer than I've been alive. So yeah, to have a first start against the GOAT, it's going to be pretty cool. But just any other game, man, it's got to be efficient, do my thing and play football."
Good luck. GO 49ers > TB!
NFL betting: Disrespect? The 10-2 Vikings are underdogs this week against the Lions

... at BetMGM, the 10-2 Vikings are 1-point underdogs to the Detroit Lions this week. The Lions are 5-7, and were once 1-6 this season....

The Vikings somehow have a point differential of only +10 despite a 10-2 record. They've been blown out in both losses, to the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys. Those losses might indicate that the Vikings aren't going to have a long run in the NFC playoffs. However, the Vikings did beat the Buffalo Bills, though they caught plenty of breaks to do so....

Call this week's point spread disrespect if you want, but unfeeling computers are coming to the conclusion that the Vikings are average despite their record. The odds just follow that....

We'll see how much the public believes in the Vikings. It's possible that casual bettors see a 10-2 team as an underdog against a perennially bad Lions team with a losing record and can't help but take the Vikings.

Whatever the result Sunday, we have a good idea what oddsmakers think about the Vikings' 10-2 record.
:crazy: GO Lions!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

4 days ago:
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:46 am
Also GO:

4:25 PM EST
@LV Traitors 4-7 (-2.5) > LA Traitors 6-5
Traitors > Traitors 27-20 :thumbup:
Tonight:
Go LV Traitors 5-7 (-6.5) > Los Angeles Rams 3-9, TV: Amaz :x
It's an LV vs LA series. LV still has Wildcard hopes.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:48 am
I don't know what Araiza and his teammates did - maybe they drugged and raped a 17-year old kid. Or maybe not. With one side of the story from "Ms. Doe" on the table and no supporting evidence yet, it's clear teams no longer care about "fair" or anything other than avoiding controversy that could cost them some money.

I have no doubt that something happened the night in question, and it probably wasn't very gentlemanly. But I've never read a civil complaint yet in which the plaintiff's lawyer didn't exaggerate their story and include every single possibility of harm.

Your dog broke its leash and jumped on and licked the hand of a bystander? "Defendant showed callous and gross negligence while shopping for a leash and did not have any scientific tests conducted to determine the leash was in fact appropriate to hold a 20-pound dog under any and all circumstances. Further, the defendant was holding the leash in only one hand even though he knew or should have known the animal was capable of pulling. When the beast broke free, the defendant was unable or unwilling to regain any control before the vicious attack occurred and the creature had put his tongue on the plaintiff's hand, with the resultant risk of ick and disease ... yada.
"Ex-Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza won't face charges in sexual assault case"
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-bills-p ... 57186.html

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:48 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:48 am
I don't know what Araiza and his teammates did - maybe they drugged and raped a 17-year old kid. Or maybe not. With one side of the story from "Ms. Doe" on the table and no supporting evidence yet, it's clear teams no longer care about "fair" or anything other than avoiding controversy that could cost them some money.

I have no doubt that something happened the night in question, and it probably wasn't very gentlemanly. But I've never read a civil complaint yet in which the plaintiff's lawyer didn't exaggerate their story and include every single possibility of harm.

Your dog broke its leash and jumped on and licked the hand of a bystander? "Defendant showed callous and gross negligence while shopping for a leash and did not have any scientific tests conducted to determine the leash was in fact appropriate to hold a 20-pound dog under any and all circumstances. Further, the defendant was holding the leash in only one hand even though he knew or should have known the animal was capable of pulling. When the beast broke free, the defendant was unable or unwilling to regain any control before the vicious attack occurred and the creature had put his tongue on the plaintiff's hand, with the resultant risk of ick and disease ... yada.
"Ex-Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza won't face charges in sexual assault case"
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-bills-p ... 57186.html
You'd think lawyers were paid by the word.

"I am never surprised when a prosecutor does not file sexual assault charges when the victim was intoxicated,'' the woman's attorney, Dan Gilleon, said in a statement provided to USA TODAY Sports. "It’s a very rare case where the criminal justice system achieves anything satisfactory for the victim in a sexual assault.

"In the criminal system, the victim is just another witness. She is not represented by anyone. Prosecutors cannot file charges unless they think they can get a unanimous decision from all jurors who cannot vote to convict unless they’re convinced beyond any reasonable doubt. The lawsuit we filed is not in the criminal justice system.''
Though this rings mostly true.

O Really
Admiral

They need to give her some money; she needs to accept it and everybody go on with their lives. There were a lot of poor decisions made that night, undoubtedly aided by intoxicants and the environment of a college party. Should be lessons learned by all, but nobody's life has to be ruined.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

No. 1 Draft Pick

Baker Mayfield!

:laughing-rolling:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:19 pm
No. 1 Draft Pick

Baker Mayfield!

:laughing-rolling:
:roll: :D 0-1.
1312. ETTD.