Moronic Kevin McCarthy

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Moronic Kevin McCarthy

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:39 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:36 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:48 pm
I don't think that Jordan would ever be a consensus choice, though he probably represents the real GQP more honestly than Kevin. Hopefully, Gym's been damaged by this fiasco.

Adjourned until noon. Most likely Kevin caves in overnight.
Caves how? To who?

Gym really doesn't want it.

They're rudderless.
Caves in to the Jordan voters' demands, not to electing Jordan.

Kevin is spineless.

House Dems' chant: "HAKEEM HAKEEM HAKEEM!!!
Classy Nancy applauding as vigorously as anyone.
Nice, first Black to be a party leader in either chamber.
What makes a war criminal "classy"?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Kevin is spineless.

Momentarily classy Nancy applauding as vigorously as anyone.
Better?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:37 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Kevin is spineless.

Momentarily classy Nancy applauding as vigorously as anyone.
Better?
Sorta
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

A bad day for Kev.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The question remains

Is there a plan for trump to step in?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:48 am
The question remains

Is there a plan for trump to step in?
Naw.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:40 am
A bad day for Kev.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkows ... 4981672961
:thumbup: Good one, Goofy Gaetz. I hope C-Span covers Kevin's eviction live.

Here is a weird idea. The Democrats don’t really want McCarthy as speaker because he has sold his soul to the extreme right wing of the Republican Party who will hold McCarthy and Party hostage and be unable to effectively legislate. Whoever the Republicans eventually select for speaker will be conservative and have to appease the right wing to get elected. Remember, you don’t have to be a member of the House to be speaker. Suppose the Democrats nominate Liz Cheney. Sounds crazy but while she is a conservative Republican she in not beholden to the extreme right wing and has shown that she can work with Democrats. But, she is a person despised by many Republicans so how could she win? The Democrats have 212 votes and 218 are needed so it would only take 6 Republicans to vote for her. There are many moderate Republicans (non-MAGA) who privately admire her courage in voting to impeach Trump and her work on the January 6 Committee. The House would end up with a conservative speaker and one that could be an effective leader who might be able to herd cats.
Or Adam Kinzinger.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sean Hannity's Dig At Republicans For House Speaker Fail Is Laughable

... “House Republicans now are on the verge of becoming a total clown show if they’re not careful,” Hannity said....

The new GOP-controlled House, charged with the usually perfunctory task of choosing a speaker, made history instead. It was the first time since 1923 that the House didn’t pick a new speaker on the first ballot, according to the Congressional Research Service....
"poster children for GOP dysfunction"

:---P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:38 am

Here is a weird idea. The Democrats don’t really want McCarthy as speaker because he has sold his soul to the extreme right wing of the Republican Party who will hold McCarthy and Party hostage and be unable to effectively legislate. Whoever the Republicans eventually select for speaker will be conservative and have to appease the right wing to get elected. Remember, you don’t have to be a member of the House to be speaker. Suppose the Democrats nominate Liz Cheney. Sounds crazy but while she is a conservative Republican she in not beholden to the extreme right wing and has shown that she can work with Democrats. But, she is a person despised by many Republicans so how could she win? The Democrats have 212 votes and 218 are needed so it would only take 6 Republicans to vote for her. There are many moderate Republicans (non-MAGA) who privately admire her courage in voting to impeach Trump and her work on the January 6 Committee. The House would end up with a conservative speaker and one that could be an effective leader who might be able to herd cats.
Or Adam Kinzinger.
Interesting, but it probably won't happen anytime soon. I'm sure the Dems are relishing the moment.

Thanks to the recent budget deal I don't think anything has to happen until mid year or so when the debt ceiling will be reached. That will take a bipartisan effort to get passed (as there's no way the pubs will pass it on their own) and the Republicans that aren't suicidal have to know the legislation has to be brought to the house floor and have to have a Speaker that will do so.

More kudos for the Dems getting a budget passed.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:10 am
Vrede too wrote:

Or Adam Kinzinger.
Interesting, but it probably won't happen anytime soon. I'm sure the Dems are relishing the moment.

Thanks to the recent budget deal I don't think anything has to happen until mid year or so when the debt ceiling will be reached. That will take a bipartisan effort to get passed (as there's no way the pubs will pass it on their own) and the Republicans that aren't suicidal have to know the legislation has to be brought to the house floor and have to have a Speaker that will do so.

How many republicans would be needed if all dems voted for Kiplinger or Cheney?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:22 am

Just six.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

So, this is real.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:

But I could be wrong.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:25 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Just six.
This sounds like a done deal, if dems have any balls.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Just six.
This sounds like a done deal, if dems have any balls.
What possible motivation would the dems have to help stop this clown show now?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Or Adam Kinzinger.
Interesting, but it probably won't happen anytime soon. I'm sure the Dems are relishing the moment....
IMO Cheney or Kinzinger will never happen. As the author says it's "a weird idea." I mostly shared it for entertainment purposes. That said, the same strategy could apply for a sitting moderate Repub or con Dem.
GoCubsGo wrote:
So, this is real.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGraha ... 1829884929
Lindsey is an idiot, as usual. If McCarthy needs just "one more than Hakeem Jeffries," then Jeffries would already be Speaker after having secured 9 and then 10 more votes than McCarthy. As you say in replying to billy.pilgrim, the magic number is 218 unless some members leave the House floor. It has been 218 for however many decades it's been since the House was expanded to 435 members, period. Lindsey needs remedial Civics and Math interventions.

Then, it's by no means certain that "the legislative filibuster in the Senate is hanging by a thread." First, just Manchin and Sinema alone can block any attempt to do away with the filibuster. Then, I'm pretty sure that a few more Dems are nervous about the move, as am I. Lindsey = Moronic Henny Penny.

As for the specifics that Lindsey whines about:
DC and Puerto Rican (if the Puerto Ricans agree) statehood and abolishing the Electoral College are all necessary and just enhancements of democracy. Lindsey has "come out of the closet ( ;) )" as being a democracy hater.
"Packing the Supreme Court." - Again, Manchin, Sinema and probably a few more Dems will stand in the way. Then, hypocritical Lindsey supported Moscow Mitch's court-packing in keeping Garland from even getting hearings.
"Continued broken borders." Now Lindsey is just pandering to the bigaughts. The GQP offered no fixes with Dolt .45 in office other than the leaky Wall, and for years have blocked all attempts at comprehensive reform.

Whine, Little Lindsey, whine.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm
... if dems have any balls.
:D billy.pilgrim made a funny.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:02 pm
It's a gamble. There will always be the risk that 218 RepuQs settle for McCarthy or agree to some other Cult .45 con.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:17 pm

It's a gamble. There will always be the risk that 218 RepuQs settle for McCarthy or agree to some other Cult .45 con.
No quicker way to get McCarthy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:04 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean.
Yeah, my bad, guess I misread. I was thinking a more moderate Republican would drive them to McCarthy.

GoCubsGo
Admiral