The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:26 pm
ain't gonna do it.
There are way too many small family restaurants and bbq stands yet to be experienced. I can't imagine eating food prepared in a place like that, by minimum wage employees and served to overly fat, brilliantly white people when there are so many choices.
Besides, I rarely do chain restaurants.
Speaking of local vs corporate food:

How a third of all fish caught in the ocean are turned into something that no one eats

:( It's things like this that have made me shun all seafood.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:26 pm
ain't gonna do it.
There are way too many small family restaurants and bbq stands yet to be experienced. I can't imagine eating food prepared in a place like that, by minimum wage employees and served to overly fat, brilliantly white people when there are so many choices.
Besides, I rarely do chain restaurants.
Speaking of local vs corporate food:

How a third of all fish caught in the ocean are turned into something that no one eats

:( It's things like this that have made me shun all seafood.
Do you eat meat, or feed a pet? There are probably worse stories there.

The world is fucked. Not only do we look to celebrities from Kardashians to trumps to lead, but we feed our wild caught fish to Tilapia raised in polluted bomb pits in Vietnam.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:45 am

The world is fucked. Not only do we look to celebrities from Kardashians to trumps to lead, but we feed our wild caught fish to Tilapia raised in polluted bomb pits in Vietnam.
There are definitely stories with terrestrial meat that are as bad, but I THINK that the market is more transparent. When I buy organic and/or free range meat I'm fairly confident that the certifications are legit. I have no similar confidence left when seafood is supposedly sustainably harvested. It also matters to me that it's WILD ocean populations that are being depleted.

Did the AGW-suffering Alaskan crabs die out or just move? Whatever, for now that fishery (crabbery?) is gone.

Kim has turned out to be smarter and cooler than I ever would have predicted.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

The world is fucked.
No doubt. And beyond redemption.

But I agree with Vrede - there's a lot more to Kim Kardashian than her performance art.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:11 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

There are definitely stories with terrestrial meat that are as bad, but I THINK that the market is more transparent. When I buy organic and/or free range meat I'm fairly confident that the certifications are legit. I have no similar confidence left when seafood is supposedly sustainably harvested. It also matters to me that it's WILD ocean populations that are being depleted.

Did the AGW-suffering Alaskan crabs die out or just move? Whatever, for now that fishery (crabbery?) is gone.

Kim has turned out to be smarter and cooler than I ever would have predicted.
idk it usually seems that where there's money to be made there are certs to be misused, be it citibank or Blue Buffalo dog food.
Did you know that they put dogs and cats in dog and cat food? Makes me glad I don't feed mine pet food and I don't eat prepared foods.
I buy local wild caught seafood from local fishermen and always skip the best ever authentic gumbo or gumbo recipes that show gumbo adorned with crab legs from Alaska.

Dad always went in with a farmer to raise a steer or a 1/2 steer. He bought the calf and paid all expenses while the farmer did all the work and they split the meat. I kick myself for not developing a similar relationship.

Kim - sorry, but I stopped paying attention the 1st day I saw her. Same for any of these self anointed kings and queens of popularity. I'm sure some of them do the right thing, but they take up way too much space.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:35 pm
... Kim - sorry, but I stopped paying attention the 1st day I saw her. Same for any of these self anointed kings and queens of popularity. I'm sure some of them do the right thing, but they take up way too much space.
I sure don't do anything to follow her, but the headlines and TV news reports are unavoidable. Despite being a billionaire she's worked hard and effectively for prison reform and is studying law towards that end, and has supported other causes that I can't gripe about. Plus, she dumped Kanye.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:57 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:35 pm
... Kim - sorry, but I stopped paying attention the 1st day I saw her. Same for any of these self anointed kings and queens of popularity. I'm sure some of them do the right thing, but they take up way too much space.
I sure don't do anything to follow her, but the headlines and TV news reports are unavoidable. Despite being a billionaire she's worked hard and effectively for prison reform and is studying law towards that end, and has supported other causes that I can't gripe about. Plus, she dumped Kanye.
All may be true, but is also true, except for the billionaire part, of tens of millions of regular people.

I'm very slow to warm to anyone who comes from legacy Estate status. I'll stick with regular folk.
Besides, all the silicone makes her look like a cartoon character.

O Really
Admiral

It's what happens when a performer and a person are seen as the same. Particularly troublesome for Kim because her act is playing a fictional version of herself. It would be a little different from somebody like Alice Cooper, who you might not recognize on the street but you know that his stage persona is part of his act. Paris Hilton was the same. She was so believable with her dumb blonde act that it's taken years to be seen as anything else. It's an extreme version of being typecast.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Yet still her money smothers messages from legitimate people who start with less.
They all make wonder how they felt about the Estate Tax, or as her class call it, the Death Tax.

O Really
Admiral

$60 lobster tail. We passed.
I know everything is more expensive, and the lobsters are all moving north to Canada, but until I forget buying them for $5/lb off the boat in Maine, I can't go for $60.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:57 pm
I know everything is more expensive, and the lobsters are all moving north to Canada, but until I forget buying them for $5/lb off the boat in Maine, I can't go for $60.
Yeah, Food Truck Thursday is a summer thing near me. The Lobster Wagon sandwiches went up to $28.

Nope.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:00 pm
O Really wrote:
Yeah, Food Truck Thursday is a summer thing near me. The Lobster Wagon sandwiches went up to $28.

Nope.
Uff-da! Just checked out of curiosity and found the only place around here that has a lobster roll wants $30.

Aw, man - I looked at this place we used to go to in Kennebunk, Mabel's Lobster Claw, sort of a semi-dive place down by the water, and they want $28, too. Three years ago, they were $11, or less on specials.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:08 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

Nope.
Uff-da! Just checked out of curiosity and found the only place around here that has a lobster roll wants $30.

Aw, man - I looked at this place we used to go to in Kennebunk, Mabel's Lobster Claw, sort of a semi-dive place down by the water, and they want $28, too. Three years ago, they were $11, or less on specials.
IIRC, there was actually a lobster glut about three years ago.

Yeah. Thx trump. 😄
https://www.marketplace.org/2018/11/09/ ... maine/amp/
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:09 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:08 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

Nope.

IIRC, there was actually a lobster glut about three years ago.

Yeah. Thx trump. 😄
https://www.marketplace.org/2018/11/09/ ... maine/amp/
Little lobster po-boys are still under 15 bucks. And just because they're little don't mean they ain't real lobsters.
Just look to any Cajun history book

"When the French settlers of Acadia, today's Nova Scotia, were cast out by the conquering British, one group made its way down the Mississippi to Bayou Teche, in south-central Louisiana.

The lobsters that had fed the 18th-century French settlers in Acadia followed their Acadian friends. "But the long and arduous journey caused the crustacean to become smaller and smaller, until it became the size it is today."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... a5ef8d495/

O Really
Admiral

I don't know why I just realized this, and I don't know how they did it, but in the beach towns from Oceanside all the way to San Diego there are no notional chain fast food joints west of the I-5 freeway. There are a lot of good places to eat all sorts of food - in fact pretty much anywhere is good because if it's not, it's out of business. But for about a 30-mile strip of heavily populated resident and tourist area along the beachside on historical US101, there are no McDonalds, Hardee's, Carl's Jr., KFC, Popeyes, Capt D's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, yada. None.

All the Wal-Marts and other big box stores are on the east side of the freeway, too. What you get on the west side is all local, restaurants, shops, services, no huge street signs, and mostly free parking. The are letting a CVS move into downtown Oceanside, but it's going into the bottom floor of an existing building - no big box with parking lot.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I like it. We should all stop eating and buying at chains.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 am
I don't remember the last time I got big-chain fast food. We don't when we're stationary, nor when traveling. Long ago in a galaxy far away, I used to enjoy the Hardee/Carl's sausage/egg biscuits occasionally, and probably 5-7 years ago I got food from Capt D's or Long John Silvers (don't remember which), Never been to a KFC since maybe 70-something. There are too many local/regional alternatives, food trucks, neighborhood places, etc. to pick plastic food.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I got a meal at McDonalds for the first time in years when I was in Lisbon. I was hungry and wanted something quick and easy and McDonald's did me good.

Not gonna lie though, a bacon egg and cheese bagel from McDonald's is still good.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:52 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I don't remember the last time I got big-chain fast food. We don't when we're stationary, nor when traveling. Long ago in a galaxy far away, I used to enjoy the Hardee/Carl's sausage/egg biscuits occasionally, and probably 5-7 years ago I got food from Capt D's or Long John Silvers (don't remember which), Never been to a KFC since maybe 70-something. There are too many local/regional alternatives, food trucks, neighborhood places, etc. to pick plastic food.

More like 10 years ago when new owners changed to sexy huge bulging food that drizzled on scantily dressed women
But yeah, there was a time when Hardee/Carl's advertised about their biscuit expert who came in at 4:00 am to make the dough from scratch by hand. Those were real biscuits and made with lard and vegetable shortening.

We only had a Jack's Hamburgers in Auburn when I was growing up. Later on in my mid-twenties I realized I had never had a McDonald's and declared never having one to be a worthy goal. So far no McD products ever, but I have used their bathrooms a number of times.

Some of the roughest places have truly memorably great fast type, or very little waiting, food. One of my greatest finds was a Mexican restaurant in Amarillo one block north of the main highway in a real rough area full of scattered Bail Bond places. I just looked on Google for Bail places and there were none where the restaurant was, just lots of green grass. Oh well, that's progress.

And the really bad ones can be memorable too, like the place south of the main road in Winner, SD.
O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:52 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:33 pm
I got a meal at McDonalds for the first time in years when I was in Lisbon. I was hungry and wanted something quick and easy and McDonald's did me good.

Not gonna lie though, a bacon egg and cheese bagel from McDonald's is still good.
I bet if you look there are better local places that not only serve better food, but treat their employees better.