Never forget

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Never forget

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

An anniversary
"Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney’s war against Iraq"

https://open.substack.com/pub/thomhartm ... dium=email

"For example, after 9/11 in 2001 the Taliban that then ran Afghanistan offered to arrest Bin Laden, but Bush turned them down because he wanted to be a “wartime president” to have a “successful presidency.”

The Washington Post headline weeks after 9/11 put it succinctly: “Bush Rejects Taliban Offer On Bin Laden.” With that decision not to arrest and try Bin Laden for his crime but instead to go to war, George W. Bush set the US and Afghanistan on a direct path to disaster (but simultaneously set himself up for re-election in 2004 as a “wartime president”)."

The links are in the article
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Never forget

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm
An anniversary
"Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney’s war against Iraq"

https://open.substack.com/pub/thomhartm ... y-war-lies

"For example, after 9/11 in 2001 the Taliban that then ran Afghanistan offered to arrest Bin Laden, but Bush turned them down because he wanted to be a “wartime president” to have a “successful presidency.”

The Washington Post headline weeks after 9/11 put it succinctly: “Bush Rejects Taliban Offer On Bin Laden.” With that decision not to arrest and try Bin Laden for his crime but instead to go to war, George W. Bush set the US and Afghanistan on a direct path to disaster (but simultaneously set himself up for re-election in 2004 as a “wartime president”)."

Thanks :( . I had a layover in Amsterdam and joined a smallish demo at the US Embassy. In late Jan or early Feb we were drydocked in Holland and I had joined a 75K peace march through Amsterdam.

After getting a huge grilling at the airplane gate - flying back to the US on a US passport! - I participated in demos back in Missoula. 20 years later and we and the region are still screwed by what Cheney/Shrub did.

For a number of reasons I still believe that Dolt .45 is our worst POTUS ever, but you've made a reasonable case in the past that Cheney/Shrub did more damage.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

:puke-left: :puke-left:

His legacy is in cement, the only thing tempering it a bit is by all accounts he's not an asshole.

Then we also get this reminder.

Bush Doesn’t Second-Guess Himself on Iraq. Even if Everyone Else Does.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm
An anniversary

https://open.substack.com/pub/thomhartm ... y-war-lies

Thanks :( . I had a layover in Amsterdam and joined a smallish demo at the US Embassy. In late Jan or early Feb we were drydocked in Holland and I had joined a 75K peace march through Amsterdam.

After getting a huge grilling at the airplane gate - flying back to the US on a US passport! - I participated in demos back in Missoula. 20 years later and we and the region are still screwed by what Cheney/Shrub did.

For a number of reasons I still believe that Dolt .45 is our worst POTUS ever, but you've made a reasonable case in the past that Cheney/Shrub did more damage.
Wholeheartedly agree that trump is the worst. Cheney and Lil bush set up the lawless presidency and the damages they caused can be measured as the worst ever. Give trump's damages 20 years to fester and they'll easily outweigh cheney/bush.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:01 pm
:puke-left: :puke-left:

His legacy is in cement, the only thing tempering it a bit is by all accounts he's not an asshole.

Then we also get this reminder.

Bush Doesn’t Second-Guess Himself on Iraq. Even if Everyone Else Does.
He got it from Mom and her hatred of FDR and everything he stood for, especially his arm exposing her father and his bank after he was caught dealing with the nazis. Her breakfast table nudging has to be responsible bush's attacks of social security and other similar programs.
He, alone would have never had the drive to destroy - Mom helped, remember she said that God picked him (to do her bidding).

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

The topic seemed appropriate.

Sickening.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.