The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:47 pm
I know a guy who got lucky on Swifty tickets. Got in before TicketMaster crashed, and bought 4 tickets. Two for his daughter and her boyfriend, and two for re-sale. Sold them for over twice face value, so he essentially gave his daughter a Taylor Swift concert for free. Hero Dad.
The two people who got bumped from getting list price tix and may not have gotten tix at all might call him Greedy Scalper Dad, instead. Who knows, maybe daughter would prefer a Generous Dad over a Conniving Dad, too.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:10 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:47 pm
I know a guy who got lucky on Swifty tickets. Got in before TicketMaster crashed, and bought 4 tickets. Two for his daughter and her boyfriend, and two for re-sale. Sold them for over twice face value, so he essentially gave his daughter a Taylor Swift concert for free. Hero Dad.
The two people who got bumped from getting list price tix and may not have gotten tix at all might call him Greedy Scalper Dad, instead. Who knows, maybe daughter would prefer a Generous Dad over a Conniving Dad, too.
I reserve "scalper" for those assholes who buy 50 and even hundreds of tickets, often with no intention of attending.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There's not currently any general law that prevents selling a ticket for above face value. Some locals, I think. And some individual concerts have ways of preventing it, but overall I don't see any problem with what he did. Besides, suppose the original idea was to buy tickets for daughter and three friends, then friends weren't able to go. If the market rate for the tickets at that time was more than he paid for them should he just be a good guy to some stranger and offer them for face value? Agree with billy.p on the scalper assholes, though.

Scalping in CA: illegal on the grounds of the event; legal online.
https://labailnow.com/is-ticket-scalpin ... cketmaster.

I'm actually surprised the term "scalping" hasn't been tossed in the war chant/tomahawk bin. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:40 pm
I reserve "scalper" for those assholes who buy 50 and even hundreds of tickets, often with no intention of attending.
Isn't that just a matter of degree of assholery?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 pm
There's not currently any general law that prevents selling a ticket for above face value. Some locals, I think. And some individual concerts have ways of preventing it, but overall I don't see any problem with what he did. Besides, suppose the original idea was to buy tickets for daughter and three friends, then friends weren't able to go. If the market rate for the tickets at that time was more than he paid for them should he just be a good guy to some stranger and offer them for face value? Agree with billy.p on the scalper assholes, though.

Scalping in CA: illegal on the grounds of the event; legal online.
https://labailnow.com/is-ticket-scalpin ... cketmaster.

I'm actually surprised the term "scalping" hasn't been tossed in the war chant/tomahawk bin. :lol:
I didn't say anything about illegality and "scalping" just means ticket resale, no crime to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticket_resale

That's a lot of speculating about a guy you know. What young girl/woman doesn't have more than 2 friends that would go to a TS concert? Your OP implied that it was an intentional scheme all along.

Good point about tossing the word. I apologize for my insensitivity to Scandinavians.
Scalping

... Scalping independently developed in various cultures in both the Old and New Worlds.

Europe

One of the earliest examples of scalping dates back to the mesolithic period, found at a hunter-gatherer cemetery in Sweden. Several human remains from the stone-age Ertebølle culture in Denmark show evidence of scalping. A man found in a grave in the Alvastra pile-dwelling in Sweden had been scalped approximately 5,000 years ago....
There's also my insensitivity towards English colonials, American revolutionaries, Mexicans and Anglos, Confederate guerrillas and the U.S. military. Bad Vrede too.

:P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

In this guy's case, he did intend to sell the two extra tickets. For which somebody, who shall remain nameless, implied that he's an asshole. My speculation was just a "what if" to see if under those circumstances he could sell above face value without being an asshole. Apparently not, by some people's standards.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:51 pm
In this guy's case, he did intend to sell the two extra tickets. For which somebody, who shall remain nameless, implied that he's an asshole. My speculation was just a "what if" to see if under those circumstances he could sell above face value without being an asshole. Apparently not, by some people's standards.
:roll: I didn't say anything about the ethics of your unlikely and as it turns out nonexistent scenario. In the sad event that the daughter only has 2 friends that would take free TS tix, I don't have a problem with Generous non-Conniving Greedy Scalper Dad reselling at the current market price. Shit happens.

The fact remains that two fans got bumped so that "Hero Dad" could avoid heroic giving.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:03 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 pm
I would pay $150 for decent tickets, but there's no point in going if you can't see the concert, and decent tickets are $250 and up. I think we gave over $200 for Elton John back in November, though. $500+ for tickets, $50 to park, and you still don't have a t-shirt. I think we'll pass on this one.
Inglewood floor tix up to $7,667 each.
Greensboro floor tix up to $10,166 each.
:shock:

Floor seats are nice, but I wouldn't want to be surrounded by the people that can afford them.
😆 That's a good way to put it. Same.
Adele is extending her Vegas residency by 34 dates. The CHEAPEST individual tix are $1500 plus tax! :wtf:

Idk what Taylor Swift tix cost, but she reportedly puts on a helluva show - constant high energy singing and dancing, 44 songs, 3 hours 15 minutes, no intermission or breaks. Even JJ Watt is impressed with her conditioning and stamina. Kudos.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't watch American Idol, but apparently there's been some complaints about them picking kids with celebrity parents. Anyway, they were auditioning 22 year old Kaya Stewart.

“My dad was in a band called the Eurythmics,” Kaya mentioned casually, as if the Eurythmics were some obscure, underground act.
Right.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

All this talk about concert ticket prices prompts me to relate that on the wall behind my stereo system I have some old concert posters; one is for Little RIchard at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Oct. 12, 1962 with the second billed act being The Beatles. There's also a black and white photo of them all together. No prices are given on this one.

Another is headlined with Jimi Hendrix at the Omaha, Nebraska Civic Center, July 12, 1969. Other listed acts are (in order as on the poster) Three Dog Night, Steppenwolf, and Led Zeppelin. At the bottom it says "Tickets $8.50 - All Seats Reserved." That's about $71 in today's money.

Another is for The Grateful Dead and The Neville Brothers at the Oakland, CA Ford Coliseum Dec 30 and 31. No year is given on this one but at the bottom it says "All Tickets Reserved - $25.00 / $15.00 Each." I'd guess this on'e's from late seventies or early eighties.

But I guess nothing will ever top Woodstock, which ultimately became a free concert. I have a cousin who went and has 8mm movies of a lot of it.

O Really
Admiral

Lady O v.1 went to the Beatles in Shea Stadium 1964. Tickets were $5-6 or so, about $50 today's money.
In 1984ish the Michael Jackson "Victory" tour was way more than the average concert, at about $40 for decent tix. That would be about $114 today, but it was considered expensive at the time. Looks like no matter what you compare it to, current ticket prices are outrageous, yet venues still fill so I guess for some it's worth it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:44 am
Lady O v.1 went to the Beatles in Shea Stadium 1964. Tickets were $5-6 or so, about $50 today's money.
In 1984ish the Michael Jackson "Victory" tour was way more than the average concert, at about $40 for decent tix. That would be about $114 today, but it was considered expensive at the time. Looks like no matter what you compare it to, current ticket prices are outrageous, yet venues still fill so I guess for some it's worth it.
Taylor Swift is coming here in June.

Here's the cheap seats. If you want to be close to TaTa, $16,000.

I won't be going.

Colonnade 320 Row 4
$2,339
Club Level 209 Row 19
$2,639
Field G Row 19
$2,739
Colonnade 220 Row 14
$2,849
Field B Row 26
$3,429
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

We learned a long time ago that it's better to spend money on experiences instead of stuff, but there's a lot of experiences you can have for the price of two Ta Ta tickets that might be a way better value.

What better value, you might ask? Cursory check says Lady O and I can fly San Diego to London for a long weekend/short week for about the same as the two tix with parking and overnight.
Last edited by O Really on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:01 pm
Taylor Swift is coming here in June.

Here's the cheap seats. If you want to be close to TaTa, $16,000.

I won't be going.

Colonnade 320 Row 4
$2,339
Club Level 209 Row 19
$2,639
Field G Row 19
$2,739
Colonnade 220 Row 14
$2,849
Field B Row 26
$3,429
:shock: I'm less sympathetic to the people screwed by Ticketmaster, and understand better the rapid government investigations into the company. Rich people problems. How many of those crying youth were using their parents' credit card?

The closest to me is Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, 3 shows. Looks like concert capacity is around 50K - no seats behind the stage. Ticketmaster is sold out, of course. The cheapest scalpers on StubHub are on the side of the stage, different levels for around $900. The cheapest out in front of the stage, nosebleed, are $1,045. You would come out ahead by traveling ;) . The most expensive on the floor are $8,633 each, but that's way off the norm for other floor tix which are running $3-4K.

I like Tay Tay a little when I accidentally hear a song, but I don't think I'd pay $50.

Ftr, "TaTa" is a breast - intentional? :D
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:55 pm

Ftr, "TaTa" is a breast - intentional? :D
Nah, but if the shoe fits....go wild.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nor I.
The Lost Weekend documentary

The Tribeca Film Festival announced the 2022 premiere of The Lost Weekend: A Love Story, a 97-minute documentary about Pang's life and relationship with Lennon, on June 10th (2022) via virtual home viewing. The film was produced and directed by Eve Brandstein, Richard Kaufman and Stuart Samuels. The Lost Weekend will appear in theaters internationally for a limited run April 13th and 14th 2023.
After that?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So I'd never heard of the "Texas Tenors" before, but they showed up this afternoon in their travel rig on the way to Arizona. There's an entertainment area over by the pool, with big-screen outdoor TV, bar, fire pits, etc. and they hung around and did some impromptu singing. Nice (and talented) guys. Turns out, they're emmy winners, America's Got Talent alum, have or have had residencies at Branson and Vegas, and toured worldwide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_Tenors

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:57 pm
So I'd never heard of the "Texas Tenors" before, but they showed up this afternoon in their travel rig on the way to Arizona. There's an entertainment area over by the pool, with big-screen outdoor TV, bar, fire pits, etc. and they hung around and did some impromptu singing. Nice (and talented) guys. Turns out, they're emmy winners, America's Got Talent alum, have or have had residencies at Branson and Vegas, and toured worldwide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_Tenors

Talented.

but kind of cheesy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:43 pm
Tickets go on sale Friday for the Boss on December 2. I'll be on line to click.

Umm, maybe not. Ticket prices look to be Swifty-ridiculous.
Not looking up the prices, but this would have been a treat. Barcelona:
Spring-Nuts
@SpringNuts_

Patti, @MichelleObama and Kate Capshaw came out and did Glory Days with the @springsteen and the band!

Photo from Spring-Nuts FB page Susan Avery

Bruce Springsteen wife Patti Scialfa that is, a member of the E Street Band since 1984. Retired actress Kate Capshaw is Steven Spielberg’s wife.

More Barcelona:

Former U.S. President Barack Obama, Steven Spielberg and Bruce Springsteen pose for a picture with Amar restaurant staff in Barcelona
1312. ETTD.