Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Opps. Bye-bye.
Smith opened fire near Normandale Park on Feb. 19, 2022, killing June Knightly, a 60-year-old racial justice activist. Four people were seriously injured. One was paralyzed from the neck down, according to court documents.
:(
Smith pleaded guilty to nine charges: second-degree murder, four counts of attempted murder and four assault charges.

Smith had come out of his apartment and started yelling at a small group of protesters. According to witnesses, attempts to de-escalate failed, and Smith drew a handgun and began firing.

During the shooting, an armed bystander returned fire, critically injuring Smith....
Opps.

More on Benjamin Smith:
https://heavy.com/news/benjamin-jeffrey-smith-polybun/
... He was described on social media as a local “furry” who goes by the name Polybun. (“Furry,” according to Merriam-Webster, “refers to people who have a keen interest in, or even dress up as, anthropomorphic animal characters, like those often seen in comics, games, and cartoons.”) ...
:headscratch:
Smith’s roommate told OPB, “He talked about wanting to go shoot commies and antifa all the friggin time. He was just a sad angry dude. … He talked about wanting to do this for a while. He was angry at the mask mandates, he was angry at the damned liberals.” ...

... Smith was also upset about city-wide protests, homeless people in the area and COVID-19 health “mandates,” and he was known to “collect guns,” the outlet reported.

... he became more “radicalized” during the Donald Trump administration. She heard him “yelling racial slurs in his room and deriding women,” the site reported....
Figures.

More on June Knightly:
... Knightly’s Facebook page says she’s from New Orleans, Louisiana, and lived in Portland, Oregon. She posted information about feeding “unhoused people” in Portland and efforts to obtain winter clothing for people in need.

In October, she wrote on Facebook, “We’re no better than Mississippi, et al. Oregon is fraught with racism too, at every level.” She wrote about street art being painted over, writing, “White fragility is not ‘patriotism.'”

... “update: the woman who killed was 60, a lovely person who was a help to many, a beautiful soul who only represented care and peace. June Knightly — T-rex — we will not forget. the others badly injured are gorgeous wonderful people through and through. I’m crying.” ...

Presente!
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

What a shithead. Looks like he drives an old American car with a push button transmission. Weird.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:23 am
What a shithead. Looks like he drives an old American car with a push button transmission. Weird.
Mom had a '62 Chrysler Newport with a push button transmission. The buttons were on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
No further comment
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Metal dash, thin unpadded steering wheel, no head support. Gotta be pre-70.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:25 pm
Metal dash, thin unpadded steering wheel, no head support. Gotta be pre-70.
. . . as are the asshole's KKK robe and hood in the trunk. Plus, there's the dash-mounted rearview mirror. The convict's car should be for sale soon, lol. Or, June Knightly's family will be driving it. Looks clean from what we can see, but -0-? .
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:40 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:23 am
Mom had a '62 Chrysler Newport with a push button transmission. The buttons were on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
No further comment
I remember cars that had speedometers that were visible from outside the car....sort of transparent in that you could see the numbers and markings if standing in front of the car. Some were arranged in a horizontal fashion and some were of a semi circle design. I also remember seeing one or two cars where the steering wheel was not round but had two flat areas opposite each other. I also remember how hot those metal dashboards could get.

O Really
Admiral

Weather chick in Mississippi gets canned for using a Snoop Dogg expression during a discussion of Snoop Dogg.

https://blavity.com/mississippi-meteoro ... gory1=news

Bet she had no idea of the supposed meaning of "Fo Shizzle Ma Nizzle" I didn't. And even if I did, "nizzle" isn't "nigga" no matter who thinks it is and is no more offensive than writing "Ni**er". It's a made-up word. You can have a made up meaning, but it's just a creation of the clever-ish imagination of an entertainer.

Maybe the "cancel culture gone amuck" people have a point.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:43 am
Weather chick in Mississippi gets canned for using a Snoop Dogg expression during a discussion of Snoop Dogg.

https://blavity.com/mississippi-meteoro ... gory1=news

Bet she had no idea of the supposed meaning of "Fo Shizzle Ma Nizzle" I didn't. And even if I did, "nizzle" isn't "nigga" no matter who thinks it is and is no more offensive than writing "Ni**er". It's a made-up word. You can have a made up meaning, but it's just a creation of the clever-ish imagination of an entertainer.

Maybe the "cancel culture gone amuck" people have a point.
Bad link, here:

White Mississippi Meteorologist Off Air After Saying 'Fo Shizzle, My Nizzle'
Aside from saying "fo shizzle, my nizzle," Bassett also faced trouble in October for using the word “grandmammy."

:lol: Her name is Barbie, perhaps the one name worse than Karen to have in this situation. She could have checked Dictionary.com:
fo shizzle my nizzle

... Other rappers like Jay-Z and Pitbull took up fo’ shizzle my nizzle in the 2000s, as did many a white teen from Des Moines in their misbegotten efforts to be cool ...
:D Worse than being racist.

Andy Samberg warned her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCGhHNBS4xM

"I shouldn't have rapped." :laughing-rolling:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Context counts. I don't know if Barbie is racist or not, but to quote Snoop Dogg when the group is discussing Snoop Dogg certainly doesn't prove it. She wasn't making fun of him; she wasn't trying to be him; she didn't misappropriate any culture. Way back in the day if you were talking about Laugh-In, somebody would surely say "you bet your sweet bippy." "Bippy" is a made-up word that may or may not mean "ass" or "butt" or is assumed to do so. This station would probably fire Barbie for uttering obscenity or something.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:25 am
Context counts. I don't know if Barbie is racist or not, but to quote Snoop Dogg when the group is discussing Snoop Dogg certainly doesn't prove it. She wasn't making fun of him; she wasn't trying to be him; she didn't misappropriate any culture. Way back in the day if you were talking about Laugh-In, somebody would surely say "you bet your sweet bippy." "Bippy" is a made-up word that may or may not mean "ass" or "butt" or is assumed to do so. This station would probably fire Barbie for uttering obscenity or something.
I only commented on the humorous aspects of it because I suspect there's more to the likely firing than just “Fo shizzle, my nizzle". There was “grandmammy" back in October and maybe other less notorious indiscretions.

My boy said " this ship gon sink , but I won't be on it"
For all we know she isn't liked around the station and/or fares poorly in polls/focus groups.

Barbie was an anchor, but you're always crowing about how cute your "weather chicks" are. Maybe they were hoping for an excuse. I'm sure Mississippi is an "at will" employment state.
Yep: https://www.paycor.com/resource-center/ ... -by-state/
USA is official done over. Thanks to the liberal communist who think they are wrong they are willing to destroy anything and anyone to prove they are right. Yet they are the evil they president to be fighting
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:49 pm

For all we know she isn't liked around the station and/or fares poorly in polls/focus groups.

Barbie was an anchor, but you're always crowing about how cute your "weather chicks" are. Maybe they were hoping for an excuse. I'm sure Mississippi is an "at will" employment state.

Maybe they didn't like her, but it's still a lame excuse. Mississippi may be "employment at will" but TV people have contracts. She may not be SoCal-worthy, but I hope she has a good lawyer. LA/SD gets first choice of all available weather chicks. Mississippi may get leftovers after the draft.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: it's everywhere

https://hyperallergic.com/811266/moma-a ... ack+artist

"Museum security asked Heather Agyepong to leave the installation Black Power Naps, meant as a safe space for Black people, after a White visitor called her “aggressive.”'

Oh no Mr. Bill, the bad lady spoke to the nice white lady.

"The artist posted about her experience visiting the installation Black Power Naps on Twitter on Saturday, March 25, calling out the irony that she was asked to leave an installation created to encourage Black people to rest."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The 1873 Colfax (Louisiana) Massacre Set Back the Reconstruction Era
Occuring 150 years ago, one of the worst incidents of racial violence after the Civil War set the stage for segregation

:( Oh well, at least fragile White children in Louisiana or other "anti-CRT" RepuQ states won't have their widdle feewings hurt by learning about the Colfax Massacre. Everything was hunky-dory after Appomattox Court House, right?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Another one bites the dust:
Removing the 'legacy of slavery': Fort Lee gets renamed over 150 years after the Civil War
Fort Lee, now Fort Gregg-Adams, is one of nine Army installations that will be renamed this year.

Fort Lee, an Army base in Virginia named after a Confederate general, was renamed on Thursday as Fort Gregg-Adams to honor Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg and Lt. Col. Charity Adams, two Black officers who served in the U.S. Army.
In Virginia!!! :happy-cheerleaderkid:
At 94 years old, Gregg is the only living person in the Army’s history to have a base named after him, according to the U.S. Army. Gregg gave more than three decades of his life to the military and became a three-star general during his service.
:clap: Phew. I hope he lives many more quality years, but he might have barely made it.
... The base will be jointly named for Adams, who was the first Black officer in the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (later the Women’s Army Corps)....
Sweet. :-||

The museums, books and films will always feature Lee prominently as a LOSER. We don't honor LOSERS any more than Germany has a Fort Hitler or Norway a Fort Quisling.

Hahaha traitor lovers and bigaughts, the bases are being renamed, the statues torn down and the public will NEVER honor those idols again. Too bad, so sad. Do what you want with YOUR money on PRIVATE land.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I can understand why the state of Virginia might name something for Lee, but how did a US Army base get named for a vanquished rebel?

Edit: What were they thinking?
On 15 July 1917, the War Department announced that the camp would be named after Colonel Robert E. Lee, a US Army Colonel who later served in the Confederacy during the Civil War. In 2015 Brigadier General Malcolm Frost said, "Every Army installation is named for a soldier who holds a place in our military history." He further explained that the historic names chosen "represent individuals, not causes or ideologies," and that it was done "in the spirit of reconciliation, not division."[7]

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:25 am
I can understand why the state of Virginia might name something for Lee, but how did a US Army base get named for a vanquished rebel?

On 15 July 1917, the War Department announced that the camp would be named after Colonel Robert E. Lee, a US Army Colonel who later served in the Confederacy during the Civil War. In 2015 Brigadier General Malcolm Frost said, "Every Army installation is named for a soldier who holds a place in our military history." He further explained that the historic names chosen "represent individuals, not causes or ideologies," and that it was done "in the spirit of reconciliation, not division."[7]
Riiight, it's just a coincidence that 1917 saw a spike in "Lost Cause" :bs: and the rise of the KKK, and that like 2015 White bigaughts really needed to feel good about themselves again while calling it "reconciliation, not division." Ouch, Frost got rapidly frosted.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:25 am

You have to put yourself in the "time" to understand history. All this over 150 years later name calling doesn't fit with the thinking on either side immediately before or in the 30 years after the war.
Lincoln, Frost and most reasonable thinkers knew that reconciliation depended on acceptance and that those who fought and lost needed acceptance that not everyone on their side was wrong about everything and that those on the winnimg side weren't right about everything. Nothing is all black and white.

I've always been told that the lost cause bs went through a resurgence starting in the 1910s and 20s with movies, statues and naming things.
During the same times, the reverse push put Lincoln's face stamped and printed on coins and paper money, statues, and in the movies.

Personally I have trouble understanding which of all our many ancestors should be completely vilified for all of their involvements in our history and which should be held up as angles without wrong.

I'm no historian, but I'll bet that neither Lee or Lincoln would agree with the statues and rhetoric that continues over what they saw as politics.

Feel free to attack now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lee supposedly said, 'No statues'. Idk if he was asked about getting a fort named after him, but I think we can extrapolate from 'No statues'.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

600,000 dead Americans is a lot of "politics."
But yeah, I'd agree context matters - a lot. I'm still not sure I can think of another country where the losing side of an armed rebellion gets to put up its own statues.

I'm not one to expect anybody to pay for the sins of their ancestors, although there are certainly circumstances when there's a closer link than appears. If your great grandfather made his fortune in human and firearms trafficking and piratery and you're the current beneficiary of all that wealth, you may give some thought as to how you could do some good in the world with some of it. People such as Useless who want to berate somebody today because their ancestor several generations ago owned a few slaves or hung a witch or so are badly off the mark. Except - people do like to take some personal pride if their ancestor several generations ago was a hero, don't they?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:18 am
600,000 dead Americans is a lot of "politics."
But yeah, I'd agree context matters - a lot. I'm still not sure I can think of another country where the losing side of an armed rebellion gets to put up its own statues.

I'm not one to expect anybody to pay for the sins of their ancestors, although there are certainly circumstances when there's a closer link than appears. If your great grandfather made his fortune in human and firearms trafficking and piratery and you're the current beneficiary of all that wealth, you may give some thought as to how you could do some good in the world with some of it. People such as Useless who want to berate somebody today because their ancestor several generations ago owned a few slaves or hung a witch or so are badly off the mark. Except - people do like to take some personal pride if their ancestor several generations ago was a hero, don't they?
:thumbup:

NC roadway beautification:

Supreme Court won't review North Carolina's decision to nix license plates with Confederate flag

:---P Slaver and traitor lovers lose, again.
1312. ETTD.