2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

Are these "no label" people effin' crazy and stupid? Sure it would be nice to have another party choice, but only if the country went to a real multi-party system. Just because of the way the electoral system works, RepuQ's have a starting advantage, and Biden or whoever the Dems run can't afford to waste any votes or voters. No Labels think they can pull from both parties - maybe a few RepuQ's, but not nearly as many as Dems. What is the point in creating a party that has no power except to give the election to whatever loon the RepuQ's put up?

O Really
Admiral

The following article is about Turkey. Read it and substitute "America" for Turkey and "Trump" or "DeSantis" for Erdogan and you'll see the US future if either of those clowns get elected.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:37 pm
The following article is about Turkey. Read it and substitute "America" for Turkey and "Trump" or "DeSantis" for Erdogan and you'll see the US future if either of those clowns get elected.
I get your point - Islamofascist = Christofascist - but did you mean to link an article?

Go Kılıçdaroğlu Go
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:34 pm
O Really wrote:
I get your point - Islamofascist = Christofascist - but did you mean to link an article?

Go Kılıçdaroğlu Go
Opps.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... licdaroglu

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:37 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:49 am
viewtopic.php?p=183933#p183933
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:20 pm
They speak more reasonably now than they will after the Primary when they'll all come together in support of the winner by November.
That is - unless DeSantis wins and trump saves us all by running as a 3rd party and splitting the gop.
There's an alternative 3rd party scenario that gets Former PINO elected.
A Trump-Biden rematch? Pass, says this group searching for a third-party option in 2024

... The bipartisan group No Labels, a nonprofit organization that promotes centrist politics and policies, has launched a campaign to get a third-party candidate on the ballot in all 50 states in next year’s presidential election. The group already has secured a place on the ballot in Arizona, Colorado, Alaska and Oregon.

The movement, which has yet to settle on a candidate, is funded by $70 million from donors whose names the group refuses to disclose. The possibility of an independent candidate is causing consternation among Democrats and even some Republicans, who fear a third-party ticket would siphon off votes from Biden and send Trump back to the White House for another four years....

A third-party challenger can’t win the presidency – it hasn’t happened in the country’s 247-year history, and it won’t happen in 2024, Bennett said. But a third-party candidate could act as a spoiler and increase Trump’s odds of winning again, he said....

No Labels is refusing to disclose who is putting up the $70 million to secure slots on the state ballots, saying only that its donors hail from across the country and across the political spectrum.
Never Trumpers outnumber Trumpettes, but the Cult .45 outnumbers the pro-Biden crowd. No Labels and its mysterious $70 million donors are stalking horses for TRE45QN. :angry-cussing:
... The last time a former president tried to recapture the office was in 1912, when Republican Teddy Roosevelt ran on the Bull Moose Party just four years after leaving the White House.

Roosevelt was one of the most popular presidents in history – his face would be carved into Mount Rushmore just a few years later – but he didn’t come close to winning again. Roosevelt captured 88 electoral votes and more than 27% of the popular vote, far short of what he needed to win the presidency. But his candidacy split the GOP vote and helped send the Democratic candidate, Woodrow Wilson, to the White House.

Other third-party candidates – notably Ross Perot in 1992 and Ralph Nader in 2000 – commanded considerable attention but failed to win a single electoral vote.

Perot was accused at the time of costing Republican George H.W. Bush a second term, although more recent analyses have suggested that he pulled votes from both Bush and Democrat Bill Clinton, the winner. Nader, running as the Green Party nominee in 2000, won more than 97,000 votes in Florida – a state that Democrat Al Gore lost by 537 votes, costing him the presidency in a close election....
Blame billy.pilgrim :ateeth: . Will he do it to America and the world again?
We can only hope trump pulls a perot.

As for Nader, the fix was in with Jeb in charge. He would have just lost more Gire votes.
The fact is that Al won.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:20 am

As for Nader, the fix was in with Jeb in charge. He would have just lost more Gore votes.
The fact is that Al won.
You may have missed a couple of points.
Perot did not elect Bill, he took from Bill and Daddy Shrub equally.
The danger is that No Labels will elect Dolt .45 or another RepuQ, more than that Dolt .45 will elect a Dem.

Just teasing about Nader. There were good reasons for voting 3rd party in 2000 whether or not a 96.5K vote "fix was in", including honoring the memory of Karen Silkwood.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Olympic gold-medal figure skater Sarah Hughes is running for U.S. Congress

... The former figure skater won gold in Salt Lake City in 2002....

Hughes has yet to formally launch her campaign.... she filed to run for Congress in Long Island on Monday. Her campaign spokesman Max Kramer confirmed her intention to run to Newsday....

Hughes, 38, secured her gold medal in upset fashion with a dazzling free skate at the Salt Lake Games. She stood in fourth place after the short program before climbing to the top of the standings past Russian silver medalist Irina Slutskaya and fellow American Michelle Kwan, who won bronze. She was 16 years old. No American has won gold in ladies singles since.

Since retiring from Olympic competition, Hughes attended Yale as an undergrad and Penn for law school. According to her LinkedIn bio, she's worked as an associate at a New York law firm and is currently studying at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
D, R, other? The article waits awhile to say.
Spoiler:

Hughes intends to run as a Democrat. She'll challenge the seat held by Republican Rep. Anthony D’Esposito.
The 4th District is adjacent to Hughes' hometown of Great Neck, which resides in New York's 3rd Congressional District represented by George Santos. His seat will be hotly contested after he was charged last week with federal counts of fraud, money laundering and theft of public funds.

Kramer told Newsday that Hughes is actively searching for a home in the 4th District....
Go golden Sarah Go!

In wonder if she was moving to the 4th District, regardless, or if this is a Dem scheme to win the 4th since winning the 3rd is guaranteed even if Sleazy Santos doesn't run.
Sarah Hughes

... Among the other causes Hughes supports are Figure Skating in Harlem, which provides free ice skating lessons and academic tutoring for girls in the Harlem community in New York City. Hughes has supported this program for over ten years.
:-||
... The week before the opening of the 2002 Olympics, Hughes appeared on the cover of Time magazine.
Huge coup for Time given her very unlikely win!
At the 2002 Olympics, Hughes won the gold medal in what was widely considered one of the biggest upsets in figure skating history. She was the youngest skater in the competition, and was not expected to seriously challenge the favorites, teammate Michelle Kwan and Russia's Irina Slutskaya. Hughes became the first woman in Olympic history to land two triple jump-triple jump combinations in a 4-minute free skate. Kwan, Slutskaya, and Sasha Cohen (the three skaters that finished ahead of Hughes in the short program), all made significant mistakes in the free skate, clearing the way for Hughes to win gold. Her Lutz jump was flawed, but her difficult and successful jump combinations made up for it. Her artistry, above-average edge quality, and ice coverage combined to establish her as a "strong all-around skater" and ensured her gold-medal win....
I remember that, very exciting.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:40 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:20 am

As for Nader, the fix was in with Jeb in charge. He would have just lost more Gore votes.
The fact is that Al won.
You may have missed a couple of points.
Perot did not elect Bill, he took from Bill and Daddy Shrub equally.
The danger is that No Labels will elect Dolt .45 or another RepuQ, more than that Dolt .45 will elect a Dem.

Just teasing about Nader. There were good reasons for voting 3rd party in 2000 whether or not a 96.5K vote "fix was in", including honoring the memory of Karen Silkwood.
The media sure went with perot took equally from repugs and dems. I don't believe that the party that has always wanted to elect a businessman would go 50/50 with dems.
I believe that perot saved Clinton.

I voted Nader because I agree with many of his ideas and, most importantly that shrub didn't stand a chance.

If all of job's cheating were counted - what was it 600,000 disqualified by Texas firm for having unwhite names, a highly partisan hack as Supervisor of elections, bogus County rules all over (Escambia was a doozi) and of course County Election people illegally filling in and correcting military ballots (the uneducated who didn't understand butterfly ballots, or that if part of a chad remained on the ballot it could change their vote were belittled by repugs).

If all of Florida were accurately checked, I'd say Gore won by closer to a million votes.

Escambia came up with a great way to disqualify a bunch of elderly.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm fine with your Nader vote whether it affected the FL result or not.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:09 pm
The media sure went with perot took equally from repugs and dems. I don't believe that the party that has always wanted to elect a businessman would go 50/50 with dems.
I believe that perot saved Clinton....
I don't really care, but the analysts saying that Perot was not a spoiler are deeper than just pop media:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Unit ... n#Analysis
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:47 am
Uncle Tom Scott (R-SC) apparently thinks that the party that has made racism and black/brown bashing a cornerstone of their ummm "platforms" is really going to give him the nomination for President? In what alternative world is this even tabloid fodder?
He'd be dangerous as a VP nominee, though. Is that his goal?
Apparently a person can't just file to run for VP.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

"files paperwork" doesn't sound very 21st century. Maybe that tells us something about our election system right there.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:00 pm
"files paperwork" doesn't sound very 21st century. Maybe that tells us something about our election system right there.
Several little groups of wingnuts "filed paperwork" saying they were the official presidential electors in their respective states. A little over a dozen of them from one state, GA, have already been fish slapped. I suspect the ones who haven't been fish slapped will eventually be stomped. To me, that in itself is reason enough to get rid of the Electoral College. It's a throwback and should have been stomped when Senators began being popularly elected instead of appointed by state legislatures.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:47 am
Uncle Tom Scott (R-SC) apparently thinks that the party that has made racism and black/brown bashing a cornerstone of their ummm "platforms" is really going to give him the nomination for President? In what alternative world is this even tabloid fodder?
He'd be dangerous as a VP nominee, though. Is that his goal?
Apparently a person can't just file to run for VP.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1659582821248188417
:D Not technically.

Let's Revisit How Unhinged Tim Scott Is Now That He's Running for President
South Carolina's Republican senator announced at 30 years old that he was a proud virgin and has said Democrats want to legalize the abortion of 3-month-olds.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... licdaroglu
Trump Goes Scorched Earth On DeSantis With Freaky Hitler/Satan Post
The former president took his war against his onetime protégé and now 2024 rival to a new level.

Donald Trump welcomed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to the Republican presidential race with a series of increasingly bizarre posts on his various social media channels.

The former president posted a video attacking DeSantis as an ingrate who owes his career to Trump.
:---P
He posted another of what appears to be a SpaceX rocket falling over and exploding with “Ron! 2024” over it.
:lol: That's also a dig at Fascist DerSantis booster Elon. Clever.
... And he shared a weird video mocking DeSantis’ entry via a glitchy Twitter event hosted by Elon Musk....

:crazy:

Since I didn't know:
kino

Adjective referring to films and other visual media, meaning "finest" or "of the highest quality"
Back to the article:
... One poll in January even had DeSantis with a lead over Trump.

His star has since faded, with more recent polls showing the Florida governor behind by double digits ― including a recent Quinnipiac poll that has the Florida governor down by nearly 30 percentage points.

“His whole campaign will be a disaster,” Trump predicted Wednesday on Truth Social. “WATCH!”
Opps. Comments:
The absolute worse public figure in America, calls the second worse names, and we are supposed to care what the Hitler twins think about each other or at all? Surely even Republicans can't think any of this makes sense.
Now we'll know what a disagreement in the common room of the institution is like.
I expect that Trump's rants are already required reading in the schools of Republican states, except maybe Florida. And what better way for young people to learn what their country stands for, and how their leaders address the country on important issues. When I was lad, right after the WWII, we read Lincoln's speeches, and Washington's. We read the writings of Jefferson, and Adams, and Paine as eloquent examples of how to express yourself clearly and with conviction. They were studies in how to craft prose, and how to present important ideas with clarity and logic.

We also read Mark Twain, who once said, "I've seen a lot of changes in my time, but most of them seem to be going in the wrong direction. Time and Republicans seem to have proved him right.
On one hand, I love watching the dumpster fire that is the GOP. Every day they make me go wow, I didn't think they could go any lower. On the other hand, I weep for my country as these people are seen as viable options for nearly half the population.
DeSantis keeps selling himself as being Trump-like without all the baggage and drama. But Trump is still there and not going away. So why would any Trump voter have any reason to vote for DeSantis instead? His campaign is DOA, just like the glitchy Twitter announcement. He won't even beat Trump in the primaries at this point. And all of this is essentially guaranteeing Biden's successful reelection. MAGA
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:58 am
On one hand, I love watching the dumpster fire that is the GOP. Every day they make me go wow, I didn't think they could go any lower. On the other hand, I weep for my country as these people are seen as viable options for nearly half the population.
No truer words than that.

O Really
Admiral

Interesting bit of trivia: In 2016 in Michigan, Trump won the RepuQ primary and in somewhat of a surprise, Bernie! won for the Dems. One might think that anybody who voted for Bernie! surely isn't going to vote for Trump, and maybe they didn't. But a lot of them didn't vote for Hillary either and Trump too Michigan and with it put the country straight into Hell without passing go or collecting $200. Consider, however, if Bernie! hadn't waited so long to give a limp-wristed endorsement of HIllary and instead had given full-throated support once she was the nominee, is it possible Hillary would have gotten more Michigan votes? And maybe Trump would be just a novelty blip like so many other wannabe presidents who fell short.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:50 am
Interesting bit of trivia: In 2016 in Michigan, Trump won the RepuQ primary and in somewhat of a surprise, Bernie! won for the Dems. One might think that anybody who voted for Bernie! surely isn't going to vote for Trump, and maybe they didn't. But a lot of them didn't vote for Hillary either and Trump too Michigan and with it put the country straight into Hell without passing go or collecting $200. Consider, however, if Bernie! hadn't waited so long to give a limp-wristed endorsement of HIllary and instead had given full-throated support once she was the nominee, is it possible Hillary would have gotten more Michigan votes? And maybe Trump would be just a novelty blip like so many other wannabe presidents who fell short.
:roll: We've dispensed with that myth before.
Bernie! did NOT wait any longer than Hillary did in 2008 when she'd already lost.
Bernie! campaigned more energetically and far more often for Hillary than Hillary did for Obama.
As many or more Hillary supporters voted for McCain than Bernie! supporters voted for Hillary.
Hillary lost misogynists, duh. Not Bernie's fault.
Hillary lost voters that most liked Bernie's anti-establishment appeal. Not Bernie's fault that Hillary is so establishment. This was especially true for the disaffected working class White males that tipped the balance for Dolt .45 in key states.

This is a rehash of Hillary's ongoing refusal to admit the impact of her own flubs:
Conspiring with the DNC to sabotage Bernie!
Voting for the Iraq War.
Rotten charisma.
So-so debate performances.
Strategic failure to focus enough time and resources on PA, WI and MI.

Then there were external factors that mattered far more than Bernie!:
Comey letter.
GQP smears.
TRE45QN campaign finance felonies.
Hacked emails and heavy Russian manipulation of social media, whether or not there was TRE45QN collusion.

All this has been analyzed to death since 2016:
Bernie Sanders’s Hard Fight for Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders Goes 'All In' for Hillary Clinton With an Eye Toward Post-Election Goals
The Vermont senator is bringing along many of his supporters.

The Bernie voters who defected to Trump, explained by a political scientist
Here's How Many Bernie Sanders Supporters Ultimately Voted For Trump

Did Bernie Sanders Cost Hillary Clinton the Presidency?
Did Sanders Play a Role in Hillary’s 2016 Defeat?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well excuuuuuuuse me!
Sure elections are complex and lots of factors count. Sure Hillary made a lot of errors, not the least of which was taking Michigan et. al. somewhat for granted. But still, it was only 10,700 votes. And I'm wondering how many of those were Bernie! people like this one:
“I would follow Bernie to the ends of the earth, but I will never follow him to Hillary,” Covino said. “I’m not voting for Trump, I will write Bernie in. It doesn’t matter what he says.”
BTW, I didn't intend to flog the dead horse. I just didn't know or had forgotten that Bernie! won Michigan and got to thinking "what if."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm
Well excuuuuuuuse me!
Sure elections are complex and lots of factors count. Sure Hillary made a lot of errors, not the least of which was taking Michigan et. al. somewhat for granted. But still, it was only 10,700 votes. And I'm wondering how many of those were Bernie! people like this one:
“I would follow Bernie to the ends of the earth, but I will never follow him to Hillary,” Covino said. “I’m not voting for Trump, I will write Bernie in. It doesn’t matter what he says.”
BTW, I didn't intend to flog the dead horse. I just didn't know or had forgotten that Bernie! won Michigan and got to thinking "what if."
Fwiw, Patti Covino is from Vermont, that was at a joint July 12, 2016 rally before the DNC and after Bernie! had conceded, Hillary easily won Vermont 57-30 and who knows what Patti Covino actually did 4 months later?
https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/politics ... index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Unit ... s_by_state
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I was never a fan of Reagan's policies (duh), but I really do wish we had more of him in political behaviour. His "Eleventh Commandment" - "speak no ill of fellow Republicans," his maddening "now Jimmy, there you go again" debate style, his ability to be likeable, his running on generally positive vibes of "Morning in America" all are sadly missing. And attempts by current RepuQ's to reference that fall really flat, like having some garage band play in a cow pasture and call it "Woodstockian."

Hillary and Bernie! said things about each other that damaged Dems. I know it's impossible, but I wish the party could enforce some sort of behaviour where a candidate could say "(opposition) would be a good (office), but I'd be much better, and here's why..." But if they said "(opposition) is a liar who is not fit for the office" they'd get booted. Politics was always a team sport. Never more so than now.