The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Midnight Run

Midnight Run is a 1988 American road action buddy comedy film directed by Martin Brest and starring Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin....

At the 46th Golden Globe Awards, the film was nominated for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and Best Actor for De Niro. A critical and commercial success ...
:lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Upcoming Airings (EDT, Sundance)

Today at 5:00 PM
Tomorrow at 3:00 AM
06/17/2023 at 11:15 AM
06/17/2023 at 9:45 PM
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just watched this again, maybe the 3rd or 4th time:

Reservoir Dogs

Great film. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quentin Tarantino's 1992 low budget feature-length debut with a killer cast: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Tierney, Michael Madsen, Tarantino, and Edward Bunker. This paved the way for Tarantino's not so low budget encore, Pulp Fiction (1994).
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:28 pm
Just watched this again, maybe the 3rd or 4th time:

Reservoir Dogs

Great film. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quentin Tarantino's 1992 low budget feature-length debut with a killer cast: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Tierney, Michael Madsen, Tarantino, and Edward Bunker. This paved the way for Tarantino's not so low budget encore, Pulp Fiction (1994).
If this makes any sense:
I like Tarantino's movies for all the reasons I don't like other movies.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0094888/

Cobra Verde (1987)

Love me some Werner Herzog movies.

Like any of his movies, this one was very weird.
During the 1800s, paroled Brazilian bandit Cobra Verde is sent to West Africa with a few troops to man an old Portuguese fort and to convince the local African ruler to resume the slave trade with Brazil.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Cobra Verde (1987)

During the 1800s, paroled Brazilian bandit Cobra Verde is sent to West Africa with a few troops to man an old Portuguese fort and to convince the local African ruler to resume the slave trade with Brazil.
Thanks. I have not seen Cobra Verde, but Herzog-Klaus Kinski are one of cinema's all time great duos. My favorite is Aguirre, the Wrath of God, their first of five collaborations, "a genuine masterpiece." "Cobra Verde was the last".
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:54 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Cobra Verde (1987)

Thanks. I have not seen Cobra Verde, but Herzog-Klaus Kinski are one of cinema's all time great duos. My favorite is Aguirre, the Wrath of God, their first of five collaborations, "a genuine masterpiece." "Cobra Verde was the last".
Herzog had a whole ass ship tugged over a mountain for the filming of Fitzcarraldo. Also, one of the indigenous chiefs in all seriousness asked Herzog if he wanted him to murder Kinski.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:52 pm
Herzog had a whole ass ship tugged over a mountain for the filming of Fitzcarraldo. Also, one of the indigenous chiefs in all seriousness asked Herzog if he wanted him to murder Kinski.
:lol:

It's rare for the making of a movie to be so crazy that it merited its own documentary, and rarer still for the documentary to get an even better reception than the well-received subject film.

Burden of Dreams

Then:
Throughout production, director Les Blank and his small crew became exhausted and exasperated from the stress of the work. Blank said that he felt "unconnected to the people around me". Keeping up with the antics of Herzog and Klaus Kinski (the film's star) proved difficult for the reserved, introverted Blank. By the last week of production, he was so burnt out that he feared coming out of production "like some Viet Nam veterans, horribly calloused". He wrote in his journal "I'm tired of it all and I couldn't care less if they move the stupid ship – or finish the fucking film"....
:o :lol:

"The film poster was created by Montana artist Monte Dolack," an acquaintance.

... He is generally considered to have begun his professional artistic career in 1974. Dolack gained local notice for designing posters for the Crystal Theater, an art film theater in Missoula. By 1997, original Crystal Theater posters were collectors' items. Dolack also created posters which he sold as artwork. Among his most important early works is "Yahoo," which depicts a cowgirl on a horse and an anti-nuclear power symbol at the bottom. Dolack created the poster to commemorate the day the Missoula City Council voted to ban nuclear facilities within the city limits....
I was involved in the 1978 campaign and still have a pristine original "Yahoo" poster hanging on my wall. Might be a valuable collectors item by now. -0-?

Unique style, instantly recognizable to we Missoulians regardless of subject.

10th Anniversary. I think I have one of these somewhere, too.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not on my list to see:
Sound of Freedom: An unlikely - and controversial - summer movie hit

... Rolling Stone called Sound of Freedom a "QAnon-tinged thriller" - a reference to the sprawling conspiracy theory that says that Donald Trump is fighting an elite cabal of satanic paedophiles.

That sort of biting coverage - the headline called it "a superhero movie for dads with brainworms" - was broadly reflective of reviews in left-leaning outlets, while right-wing publications took an altogether different line....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

viewtopic.php?p=184486#p184486
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:57 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:30 pm
... Anything with Margot Robbie has my approval. (Really good movie.)

Less than 1 month!
Spoiler:
:wtf:
Ok, that might be pushing it.
It will be a blast.
Barbenheimer Memes Are Blowing Up In A Pink Mushroom Cloud
This crossover just keeps on giving.

On the surface, it really doesn’t seem like Barbie would have a lot in common with theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, but the unexpected duo has become the internet’s favorite collab of 2023. The jokes started when film fans realized Greta Gerwig’s Barbie and Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, both heralded as two of the biggest movies of the year, would be hitting theaters on the same day. And as July 21 came closer and closer, the Barbenheimer memes exploded like never before. Now, social media is filled with clever edits, cartoons, and fan-made posters mashing up Barbie’s pretty-in-pink aesthetic with the ashy smoke clouds of Oppenheimer. The result: a totally unforeseen crossover that’s positively atomic.

The Barbenheimer movement erupted into a full-fledged craze shortly after movie fans began joking about turning the two polar opposite blockbusters into a double feature. At the center of the excitement was the combination of aesthetics — Barbie’s cheery, bright-pink dream world smashing into the grim, grey landscape of World War II. As it turned out, that strange mixture was just the spark so many artists needed to create unbelievable posters, hilarious video edits, and tons of jokes.

If you’ve gotten caught up in the Barbenheimer fever, here are some of the best memes that truly capture the magic of the atomic blonde moment.

Wow, just had an irl nearby thunderclap at the exact moment of the tweet explosion. It was scary and weird.

95.9K Likes!
:lol:
More mashup tweets at the link.
... At this point, Barbenheimer is basically a national holiday. So get your half-pink, half-black outfit sorted, but a pair of movie tickets, and prepare for a double feature like no other when Barbie and Oppenheimer crash into theaters on July 21.
In theatres 2025: SharkBarbenheimernado
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: People are bringing clothing changes, pink and black, for Barbenheimer. Inside Edition: As many as 200K may catch the double feature.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Matt Damon says he turned down film role that could've netted him $250 million

... Damon says he was not only offered the lead role in the film — the one that eventually went to Sam Worthington — but a portion of the movie's profits. Since "Avatar" is the highest-grossing movie of all time worldwide, Damon thinks he missed out on $250 million. Avatar took in nearly $3 billion globally.
:shock: Opps.
... At the time, he was still filming the Jason Bourne movie series and "didn't want to leave them in the lurch." No one at the time knew "Avatar" would be the top-grossing film of all time, especially Damon who says he is "sure it’s the most money an actor ever turned down.”

That might not be true.

James Bond actor Sean Connery notably turned down the role of Gandalf in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Connery was reportedly offered $30 million per movie and 15% of box office revenue. That would have netted Connery roughly $450 million.
"$30 million per movie and 15%" :o
Don't feel too bad for Damon, as his net worth is a reported $170 million.
Phew.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Weekend Box Office Results: Barbie and Oppenheimer Post Historic Numbers
Barbie set the record for the biggest opening for a film directed by a woman, while also combining with Oppenheimer for a massive $235.5 million combined debut.

Wow. I think "Barbenheimer" originated with fans, but if it is an intentional marketing ploy it's a stroke of pure genius unparalleled in cinema history.

Article replete with box office numbers, comparisons to other openings, clips, analysis and discussion of other current films. Who would have guessed that the big Summer 2023 story would not be Mission: Impossible, Indiana Jones, Insidious, Spider-Man or Transformers?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Deliverance (1919 film)
Similar premise to the "landmark" 1972 film?
Spoiler:
Deliverance is a 1919 silent film which tells the story of the life of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan....
Imagine that. No banjo, no squealing like a pig.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:28 pm
Deliverance (1919 film)
Spoiler:
Deliverance is a 1919 silent film which tells the story of the life of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan....
Another great alabamaian
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:08 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:28 pm
Deliverance (1919 film)
Spoiler:
Another great alabamaian
. . . who escaped to the Northeast. :P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Barbie' explained: Which scene did the studio want cut? Why are conservatives outraged? What are the best cameos?

Not that I'm planning on going, but anything that outrages conservatives is alright by me, especially when it's "a whopping $162 million in the U.S. and $337 million worldwide," worth of outrage.

Go RadFemBarbie Go.

The 'Oppenheimer' sex scene controversy explained: 'A direct assault on religious beliefs'
Conservative officials in India are riled by an unexpectedly graphic sex scene in Christopher Nolan's opus.

Anything that riles Indian conservatives is alright by me, especially when it involves "his Communist girlfriend (and later mistress), Jean Tatlock (Florence Pugh)."

Go DirtyOppieandCommieFlo Go!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whoopi on the RW Barbie whining:
"It's a movie. It's a movie about a doll."

:lol: :---P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

We never go to a film around opening weekends because of the crowds and general hassle, but on a whim we decided to go to "Oppenheimer" today on Geezer Tuesday. Not really their name but our tickets were about $7CAD ($5.60USD), the cheapest we've been to a film in decades. It was very good, well worth the 3 hour time investment, and those complaining about the 3 minutes of sex scene are way wrong. Maybe not the Indians, because certainly he didn't have to be reading Sanskrit, but it humanized a generally socially inept person and formed the basis for a lot of his conflicts going forward. Oppenheimer was a troubled mind and often it seemed he was just skating on the rim between on or over the edge. Good story. Good performance. Now on to Barbie, I suppose.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks.
O Really wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:42 pm
... Now on to Barbie, I suppose.
Note: Spoilers
The Wild Backstories Of Allan And All The Discontinued Barbie Dolls In 'Barbie'
If you forgot about Allan, the times Ken seemed queer, or Barbie's sister who grew doll breasts in real time, the movie will remind you in hilarious fashion.

... “Barbie” writer and director Greta Gerwig was given what feels like a surprising amount of creative autonomy from Mattel for her take on the iconic doll’s tale. She did not sidestep some of the toy giant’s more questionable decisions or public controversies. Many of them pop up during the film, prompting audiences to wonder: “That couldn’t be real, could it?”

But real they are. Real dolls, anyway. From Ken’s “buddy” Allan to Growing Up Skipper, here are all the very real and, in some cases, very weird Barbies that appear in the film.

Warning: “Barbie” spoilers and truly puzzling information ahead.

(Gay) Allan ...
Nttawwt.
Pregnant Midge ...

Earring Magic Ken

A companion to Mattel's Earring Magic Barbie figure, Earring Magic Ken was released in 1993. After people pointed out how gay he seemed (a necklace that looked like a cock ring didn't help), he was actually recalled by the company.

... This 1993 model of Ken, long referred to as the time Mattel “made Ken gay,” quickly became one of the company’s best-selling dolls and a true queer icon before being recalled just months later after then-manager of marketing and communications, Lisa McKendall, was forced to give one of the greatest corporate statements of all time.

“We’re not in the business of putting cock rings into the hands of little girls,” the statement read. There’s at least one Earring Magic Ken currently available on eBay for $154. (Just saying.)
:laughing-rolling:
Palm Beach Sugar Daddy Ken ...

Video Girl Barbie

“I have a TV in my back,” Video Girl Barbie quips in the film, deadpan, while showing off her embedded screen to the human visitors in Barbie Land. This version of Barbie may seem innocuous, if not a bit weird, but the FBI said differently.

The agency put out a “cyber crime alert” following her release in 2010, citing her ability to stream up to 30 minutes of recording onto a computer as a potential “dangerous tool for pedophiles.” Yikes.
:o
:shock:
Tanner The (pooping) Dog ...
89% Tomatometer, 86% Audience Score

Damn, maybe I'll have to go.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's been a long time since I watched RED.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245526/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red

I had never seen Red 2.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821694/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red_2

:clap: :clap:

Mary-Louise Parker is one of my all-time crushes, for decades. Still, 2022:

1312. ETTD.