Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Traveling

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 am
The line to summit Mount Everest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinter ... to_summit/

~75k to get to the top. Rich folks paying poor folks (Sherpas) to carry their stuff so that they can take a selfie and mark summiting everest off of their bucket list. Sure, it's still not without risks, but the trash strewn summit is still a decent metaphor for our world today.

Or maybe I'm just a hater ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
That's awful.
I've always hated lines in any situations.
I've always hated a crowded "wild" experience.
Nope.

Apparently, sherpas get no retirement benefits nor education for their children. :(
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mount-everes ... 34549.html

Under your link:
people have died because of being stuck in these queues. overcrowded is a serious issue there now.

Not at this point.

I believe this is just outside Camp 3 on the Nepal side. Most can get back down from here without issue, weather allowing.

Higher at the Hillary Step above Camp 4 is the real killer choke point.

This is the Hillary Step:

The really serious issue here is it is one-way traffic on a knife-edge cliff, so if you have an issue above the Step you are basically screwed as everybody is heading against you in the early part of the day, and if you block people on the way down you are going to kill lots of people stranded above 8000m, in very cold temperatures, after dark, without spare O2. Bad weather makes it much worse.
:puke-left:
It costs around 50K - 75k to do it. Imagine spending that much money to queue up like you’re waiting outside a nightclub toilet.
Just so they can become motivational speakers at sales meetings.
15 mountains to conquer in your lifetime – without the crowds or cost of Everest
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nepali sherpa saves Malaysian climber in rare Everest 'death zone' rescue

(more pics at link)

Gelje Sherpa, 30, was guiding a Chinese client to the 8,849 metre (29,032 feet) Everest summit on May 18 when he saw the Malaysian climber clinging to a rope and shivering from extreme cold in the area called the "death zone", where temperatures can dip to minus 30 degrees Celsius (86F) or lower.

Gelje hauled the climber 600 metres (1,900 feet) down from the Balcony area to the South Col, over a period of about six hours, where Nima Tahi Sherpa, another guide, joined the rescue.

"We wrapped the climber in a sleeping mat, dragged him on the snow or carried him in turns on our backs to camp III," Gelje said.

A helicopter using a long line then lifted him from the 7,162-metre (23,500 feet) high Camp III down to base camp.

"It is almost impossible to rescue climbers at that altitude," Department of Tourism official Bigyan Koirala told Reuters. "It is a very rare operation."

Gelje said he convinced his Chinese client to give up his summit attempt and descend the mountain, saying it was important for him to rescue the climber.

"Saving one life is more important than praying at the monastery," said Gelje, a devout Buddhist.
:-|| :clap: :-|| :clap:
... Nepal issued a record 478 permits for Everest during this year's March to May climbing season.

At least 12 climbers have died – the highest number for eight years, and another five are still missing on Everest's slopes.
Hence the crowding :thumbdown: . I'm guessing that the permits granted don't include the Sherpas, thus increasing the numbers attempting to summit by a lot.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Apparently most of those who die aren't brought down. I've read about climbers walking past dead frozen people who've been there for years.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:24 pm
Apparently most of those who die aren't brought down. I've read about climbers walking past dead frozen people who've been there for years.
Risking one's life to save a life is one thing. Doing so to remove a corpse, forget it. Speaking of things not brought down:

Everest hiker sheds light on trash left at camps (video)

:puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left: Seeing such disrespect for a mountain breaks my heart. If I were fit and rich enough I would probable do a trash hauling expedition rather than a summit one. Even more likely that I would just scale other peaks, though.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:40 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:24 pm
Risking one's life to save a life is one thing. Doing so to remove a corpse, forget it.
And it turns out Everest is about twice the altitude even a high performance helicopter can hover, so yeah, if you're up there and get sick/injured you're screwed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:03 pm
And it turns out Everest is about twice the altitude even a high performance helicopter can hover, so yeah, if you're up there and get sick/injured you're screwed.
Not "twice", but your point stands. Fta above:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:15 pm
... the 8,849 metre (29,032 feet) Everest summit ...

A helicopter using a long line then lifted him from the 7,162-metre (23,500 feet) high Camp III down to base camp....
I'm not sure whether the trash dump video above is Camp 3 at 6800 m/22300 ft or Camp 4 at 8000 m/26000 ft. Could be that Camp 3 is so extreme that a helicopter is only used for lifesaving. It sounds like some or most garbage hauling is even done by person from Camp 2 at 6400 m/21000 ft. Helicopters are costly and dangerous.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:29 pm
Helicopters are costly and dangerous.
True that. Especially if it's close to its altitude limit, whatever it might be for any given helicopter on any given day. Apparently they can fly higher than they can hover, but the upper parts of Everest strain its limit either way. I always wondered why they didn't use them up there. Now I know.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:29 pm
Helicopters are costly and dangerous.
True that. Especially if it's close to its altitude limit, whatever it might be for any given helicopter on any given day. Apparently they can fly higher than they can hover, but the upper parts of Everest strain its limit either way. I always wondered why they didn't use them up there. Now I know.
Rotor blades need a certain density of air in order to create lift.

I considered flight nursing in Vegas - up to 2 patients, usually a nurse and a paramedic. On hot days - less dense air - just a nurse. Then, the manager said it could still be 2 critical patients. I asked how that would work and she said that there was extension tubing so that the pilot could bag (artificially breathe for) one of the patients :shock: . I ended up not moving to Vegas, but distracted pilots was not the reason.

A climber rescued from death's door on Mount Everest is being slammed online for thanking his sponsors instead of the sherpa who saved his life

:obscene-birdiered: x "1,900 feet at extreme altitude in six hours".
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

This guy liked to travel:

The Leatherman:
Living in rock shelters and "leatherman caves", as they are now locally known,[1] the Leatherman stopped at towns along his 365-mile (587 km) loop about every five weeks for food and supplies.[2] He was dubbed the "Leatherman" as his adornment of hat, scarf, clothes, and shoes were handmade from leather.[3]

An early article in the Burlington Free Press dating to April 7, 1870, refers to him as the "Leather-Clad Man". It also states that he spoke rarely and when addressed would simply speak in monosyllables. According to contemporary rumors, he hailed from Picardy, France.[4]

Fluent in French, he communicated mostly with grunts and gestures, rarely using his broken English. When asked about his background, he would abruptly end the conversation.[5][6] Upon his death, a French prayer book was found among his possessions.[3][6] He declined meat on Fridays, giving rise to speculation that he was Roman Catholic.[7]

It is unknown how he earned money. One store kept a record of an order: "one loaf of bread, a can of sardines, one-pound of fancy crackers, a pie, two quarts of coffee, one gill of brandy and a bottle of beer"[3][8]

The Leatherman was well known in Connecticut. He was reliable in his rounds, and people would have food ready for him, which he often ate on their doorsteps.[6][9] Ten towns along the Leatherman's route passed ordinances exempting him from the state "tramp law" passed in 1879.[1]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherman_(vagabond)
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I played Johnny Appleseed in a third grade play. Wore a colander covered in aluminum foil as a hat. Walked around the whole stage feeling like a dumbass the whole time. Burlap sack of "seeds" slung over my back. I kept hoping someone would call the cops, put an end to it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:08 pm
I played Johnny Appleseed in a third grade play. Wore a colander covered in aluminum foil as a hat. Walked around the whole stage feeling like a dumbass the whole time. Burlap sack of "seeds" slung over my back. I kept hoping someone would call the cops, put an end to it.
Johnny Appleseed wore a colander covered in aluminum foil as a hat?

Oh, never mind.
Looks like you're compelled to keep reliving the horror:

:P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:17 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Johnny Appleseed wore a colander covered in aluminum foil as a hat?

Oh, never mind.
Looks like you're compelled to keep reliving the horror:

:P
https://www.npr.org/2012/10/20/16286245 ... 20orchards.

"He was barefoot, dressed in rags, and wore a tin pot on his head as a hat."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
I played Johnny Appleseed in a third grade play. Wore a colander covered in aluminum foil as a hat.
Hmmm, maybe that explains a lot. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:06 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
I played Johnny Appleseed in a third grade play. Wore a colander covered in aluminum foil as a hat.
Hmmm, maybe that explains a lot. :lol:
:lol: Contrary to rumor, I did not attach two nails into the holes in the colander and then stick my head in the nearest electrical outlet.

O Really
Admiral

I wore a colander as a young space alien or something. It's funny, I didn't have much if any active memory of it, but I ran across the "helmet" when I was cleaning out my parents' house after they died and memories of playing with that thing popped in like tik tok vids.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:56 am
I wore a colander as a young space alien or something. It's funny, I didn't have much if any active memory of it, but I ran across the "helmet" when I was cleaning out my parents' house after they died and memories of playing with that thing popped in like tik tok vids.
8-) I guess we're the only ones to confess to wearing a colander on our head. I don't know what it means, though. However, I do take pride in the fact that my colander had about a one inch "rim" along the outer edge, so it had a sort of legitimate hat effect. Lately I've been considering reprising this long forgotten episode in the fictional form of Colander Holyfield. Or maybe Colander Neoprene. Not sure yet.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:08 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:56 am
8-) I guess we're the only ones to confess to wearing a colander on our head. I don't know what it means, though. However, I do take pride in the fact that my colander had about a one inch "rim" along the outer edge, so it had a sort of legitimate hat effect. Lately I've been considering reprising this long forgotten episode in the fictional form of Colander Holyfield. Or maybe Colander Neoprene. Not sure yet.
OG Pastafarians. :-|| :-||

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Man, that guy must be Roseanna Colander Danna. His fucking drivers license is good for another twenty two years.