Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 pm

In my admittedly limited personal experience, unrelated to things I've read or seen on TV, biker gangs are harmless while police are very dangerous.
Maybe in the limited context of their participation in a big bike rally the biker gangs may generally behave unless provoked. But I don't think you'd get much agreement that they are by any definition harmless.
"In my admittedly limited personal experience"
Of course I know that some biker gangs are uber-violent purveyors of the worst kinds of drugs.

Packed Florida Beach Erupts Into Chaos After 9 Shot on Memorial Day

... The shooting spurred from a “dispute between two groups,” said Deanna Bettineschi, a spokesperson for the Hollywood Police Department....
A shooting between rival skateboard and frat boy gangs on a Florida boardwalk? I'm shocked - shocked I say! :wave:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:46 am
O Really wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 pm

In my admittedly limited personal experience, unrelated to things I've read or seen on TV, biker gangs are harmless while police are very dangerous.
Maybe in the limited context of their participation in a big bike rally the biker gangs may generally behave unless provoked. But I don't think you'd get much agreement that they are by any definition harmless.
"In my admittedly limited personal experience"
Of course I know that some biker gangs are uber-violent purveyors of the worst kinds of drugs.

Packed Florida Beach Erupts Into Chaos After 9 Shot on Memorial Day

... The shooting spurred from a “dispute between two groups,” said Deanna Bettineschi, a spokesperson for the Hollywood Police Department....
A shooting between rival skateboard and frat boy gangs on a Florida boardwalk? I'm shocked - shocked I say! :wave:
Thank God open permitless carry is going into effect soon. :roll:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... ll-signed/
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

“dispute between two groups” :lol: :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tonight:
Frontline
After Uvalde: Guns, Grief & Texas Politics

Season 41, Episode 12 • New
10:00 PM EDT ON PBS • Stereo • CC

A year after the Uvalde, Texas, school shooting, Maria Hinojosa examines the police response, Uvalde's history of struggle and its efforts to heal.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :crybaby:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:thumbup: Next: An electric beach buggy for the independence.

Congrats . . . and welcome to the real world:
Multiple people sent to hospital after mass shooting in downtown Richmond

Thirteen people are injured and two people are in custody following a reported shooter situation at Altria Theater that took place during Huguenot High School’s graduation ceremony on Tuesday.

The following injuries have been confirmed as a result of the shooting:

7 people shot. 3 with life-threatening injuries, 4 with non-life threatening injuries
2 people were injured by falls
1 person hit by a car
3 self-transported to the hospital for anxiety

8News sources have reported that two people are dead, but police have not confirmed this information yet....

8News sources are also reporting that four firearms were recovered on scene....

A witness told 8News they heard at least 30 shots fired....

Thomas Jefferson High School also had a graduation scheduled for later in the evening, but it has now been cancelled.

All Richmond schools have been closed for Wednesday, June 7.

This is supposed to be a joyous day when our kids walk the stage and get their diplomas, which is what they all did here today for Huguenot…and then this tragedy occurred,” Richmond Public Schools superintendent Jason Kamras said. “I’m just tired of seeing people get shot, our kids get shot. I beg of the entire community to stop.”
:(
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Obviously, more guns were needed. 🤮🙄

O Really
Admiral

So the Unabomber died in his cell at age 81.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/theodore- ... -1.6872512

Sadly, with a lifetime record of only 3 killed and 23 wounded over 17 years, he would be minor news today.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I think his corporate/academic targets made him notorious regardless of body count.
O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:18 pm
So the Unabomber died in his cell at age 81.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/theodore- ... -1.6872512

Sadly, with a lifetime record of only 3 killed and 23 wounded over 17 years, he would be minor news today.
Local anti-hero, living about 80 miles from me.
... The FBI were ultimately contacted, and on April 3, 1996, outside Lincoln, Mont., Kaczynski was apprehended, his tiny cabin found to contain bomb materials and journals detailing his attacks....

By the late 1960s, Kaczynski's writings harboured fantasies of committing violence, and in 1971 he moved to the Montana cabin, subsisting largely on handouts from his family and a few odd jobs. He occasionally ventured to the nearest town by bicycle, often to spend hours at the library, and he once visited a neighbour to find out what the date was....
I often drove through Lincoln. We attended the same Missoula speech by a Zapatista rep in the mid-1990s. I did not know that he was living at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, NC since 2021.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 pm
Obviously, more guns were needed. 🤮 🙄
Remember when a parking beef meant that someone's car got keyed?

Police: (Annapolis) Maryland fatal shooting of 3 happened after parking dispute

Wounded three, too. Accused, Charles Robert Smith:

https://dailyvoice.com/maryland/anne-ar ... -shooting/

The dead are all Latino, but there's no confirmation that race was a factor.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sad and powerful Twitter handle:
https://twitter.com/LunaLouise12
Zero days without a mass shooting 😞
@LunaLouise12

👩🏽‍💻 Vaxxed • Boosted• Military veteran • openly black woman • An ally to all good people 🇺🇦 “A well-read woman is a dangerous creature.” 📚+🙋🏾‍♀️= ⚠️⛔️

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ohio man accused of executing 3 young sons seen in bodycam video sitting calmly next to gun afterward

An Ohio dad accused of executing two of his sons before he "hunted" down and shot the third appears sitting calmly on his porch in bodycam video as responding deputies find the children's bodies scattered around his lawn.

Chad Christopher Doerman, 32, is being held on $20 million bail for three charges of aggravated murder in the shooting deaths of his three boys, ages 3, 4 and 7....

He is also accused of wounding their mother in the attack....
Thus qualifying as a mass shooting. :cry:

Seems there were some warning signs. Ohio does not have Red flag law. :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Useless needs to be careful. His neighborhood isn't a good place to be driving around as an asshole.
https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice ... california
The Bay Area’s Alameda County, which includes Oakland, had the most deadly highway shootings of any county in California between January 2020 and April 2023, with 11 killed in freeway shooting incidents during that period, according to California Highway Patrol data analyzed by The Standard. Los Angeles County — which has six times as many people as Alameda County — was the second worst in the state, with six people killed on its highways.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Understandably a weird morning here. Blanket TV coverage on every local channel and a memorial type celebration that was live streamed.

https://www.cityhpil.com/news_detail_T21_R1036.php

I elected not to partake, going to the beach later. There's been helicopters loitering off and on since 6 am. Not sure if they are security or news choppers but the local Facebook groups weren't happy, and I have to admit they were triggering.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:13 pm
Understandably a weird morning here. Blanket TV coverage on every local channel and a memorial type celebration that was live streamed.

https://www.cityhpil.com/news_detail_T21_R1036.php

I elected not to partake, going to the beach later. There's been helicopters loitering off and on since 6 am. Not sure if they are security or news choppers but the local Facebook groups weren't happy, and I have to admit they were triggering.
:( Highland Park strong.

I'm not mocking, but it's a sad sign of the times that "trauma-informed approach" is a thing and "Trained English- and Spanish-speaking crisis counselors" and "Therapy dogs" are needed.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Fort Worth, Wichita, Lansing, Charlotte, Montgomery, AL, etc, "more mass shootings than days in 2023" - We're celebrating our "Independence" from gun restrictions and restraint. Yippee. :puke-left:
"Gun violence shouldn’t be as American as the 4th of July."

Speaking of celebration, this means that we are nearing 1 year of being Useless free. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:19 pm

Speaking of celebration, this means that we are nearing 1 year of being Useless free. :thumbup:
:clap: Behind every cloud.

That's quite the turnout.

It was estimated that 3,000+ people would march. Might be low.

O Really
Admiral

"We must and will end the plague of gun violence. It does not have to be this way."

Sorry Guv, but it does and will continue to be this way. And it will keep getting worse.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:46 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:19 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0NeGAMWIAg ... me=900x900

That's quite the turnout.

It was estimated that 3,000+ people would march. Might be low.

https://twitter.com/GovPritzker/status/ ... 5361041409

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0NqE52WwAA ... name=large
:clap: :-||
O Really wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:47 pm
"We must and will end the plague of gun violence. It does not have to be this way."

Sorry Guv, but it does and will continue to be this way. And it will keep getting worse.
Now now, pessimist, at some point everyone will be dead.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:22 pm

Now now, pessimist, at some point everyone will be dead.

But no, that's not pessimistic, it's realistic. There is no viable, workable path of actions that can be taken to make it better. Sure "we" could elect different congresscritters. Liklihood of happening - practically zilch. Any scenario in which meaningful actions are taken leads to "nope, won't work because..."

GoCubsGo
Admiral