Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Animals

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:56 pm
https://youtu.be/ij_5TMwqi4A
:thumbup: The kick after the first bounce looked like hacky-sack. Commenters speculate that it was trying to crack the "egg". Others just call it playing.
Seriema: Behaviour and ecology

... When seriemas catch small reptiles, they beat the prey on the ground (Redford and Peters 1986) or throw it at a hard surface to break resistance and also the bones....
If neoplacebo was a bird . . .

'Once in a lifetime': New Hampshire man's video shows 3 whales breaching at the same time

Video

:o :happy-cheerleaderkid:
:lol: I've dreamed more than once that I can fly. I've never dreamed of swooping down on prey, but the concept of bringing down sudden big bore hell from the sky in the form of stomping and flinging the victim against walls does have a sort of primitive allure. :twisted:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:28 am
:lol: I've dreamed more than once that I can fly. I've never dreamed of swooping down on prey, but the concept of bringing down sudden big bore hell from the sky in the form of stomping and flinging the victim against walls does have a sort of primitive allure. :twisted:
:thumbup: neoplaceboraptor

Watch: Incredible Footage of a Brown Bear Catching and Killing a Moose in a River

Video

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
:lol:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
:thumbup: The kick after the first bounce looked like hacky-sack. Commenters speculate that it was trying to crack the "egg". Others just call it playing.
Seriema: Behaviour and ecology

... When seriemas catch small reptiles, they beat the prey on the ground (Redford and Peters 1986) or throw it at a hard surface to break resistance and also the bones....
If neoplacebo was a bird . . .

'Once in a lifetime': New Hampshire man's video shows 3 whales breaching at the same time

Video

:o :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Awesome!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Go Floaty Otie Go!
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:34 am
Not watching that.
:D Sorry. Maybe this to atone?
Funny Tweets About Pet-Sitting
"the cat i’m watching rn screams whenever i get too close to her and also whenever i get too far away and i am suddenly feeling a lot of empathy for my ex boyfriends"

... Below, we’ve rounded up 35 funny tweets about pet-sitting ― from hilarious mishaps to heartwarming moments.
My friend whose dog I am watching has just text to say there is yoghurt lollies in the freezer for the dog if he wants them. Yoghurt lollies. For the dog. In the freezer. If he wants them.
One of the cats I’m watching rn doesn’t come to me when I call her but she’ll come when I sing to her
I love my fans
petsitting for my parents and my dad cooked chicken, rice, green beans, and sweet potatoes for the dog. they did not leave me any food.

Pet sitting is such an emotional roller coaster. At first theres just this annoying/weird cat or dog in your life who smells and/or hates you and by the time you say bye your bond is so strong you will literally jump in traffic for the little weirdo 🥺
jus walked the dog i’m watching and this old woman asked me what strain she is so i said maltese and indica
:lol: 8-)
The dog I’m sitting just yipped pathetically for 5 minutes because I hadn’t gone to bed yet and she was already under the duvet. Are we married?
Awww. Many more at the link.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Not watching that.
agree
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:53 am
Go Floaty Otie Go!
GoCubsGo wrote:
Not watching that.
:D Sorry. Maybe this to atone?
Funny Tweets About Pet-Sitting
"the cat i’m watching rn screams whenever i get too close to her and also whenever i get too far away and i am suddenly feeling a lot of empathy for my ex boyfriends"

... Below, we’ve rounded up 35 funny tweets about pet-sitting ― from hilarious mishaps to heartwarming moments.
My friend whose dog I am watching has just text to say there is yoghurt lollies in the freezer for the dog if he wants them. Yoghurt lollies. For the dog. In the freezer. If he wants them.
One of the cats I’m watching rn doesn’t come to me when I call her but she’ll come when I sing to her
I love my fans
petsitting for my parents and my dad cooked chicken, rice, green beans, and sweet potatoes for the dog. they did not leave me any food.

Pet sitting is such an emotional roller coaster. At first theres just this annoying/weird cat or dog in your life who smells and/or hates you and by the time you say bye your bond is so strong you will literally jump in traffic for the little weirdo 🥺
jus walked the dog i’m watching and this old woman asked me what strain she is so i said maltese and indica
:lol: 8-)
The dog I’m sitting just yipped pathetically for 5 minutes because I hadn’t gone to bed yet and she was already under the duvet. Are we married?
Awww. Many more at the link.
:clap: :clap:

Much more my style. :D

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:crazy:

Heaviest animal ever may be this ancient whale found in the Peruvian desert

In this 2023 artist illustration by Alberto Gennari, Perucetus colossus is reconstructed in its coastal habitat.

a single vertebra

There could be a new contender for heaviest animal to ever live. While today's blue whale has long held the title, scientists have dug up fossils from an ancient giant that could tip the scales.

Researchers described the new species — named Perucetus colossus, or "the colossal whale from Peru" — in the journal Nature on Wednesday. Each vertebra weighs over 220 pounds (100 kilograms) and its ribs measure nearly 5 feet (1.4 meters) long....

The massive fossils, which are 39 million years old, "are unlike anything I've ever seen," said study author Alberto Collareta, a paleontologist at Italy's University of Pisa....

They calculated that the ancient giant weighed somewhere between 94 and 375 tons (85 and 340 metric tons). The biggest blue whales found have been within that range — at around 200 tons (180 metric tons).

Its body stretched to around 66 feet (20 meters) long. Blue whales can be longer — with some growing to more than 100 feet (30 meters) in length.

This means the newly discovered whale was "possibly the heaviest animal ever," Collareta said, but "it was most likely not the longest animal ever."

It weighs more in part because its bones are much denser and heavier than a blue whale's, Amson explained.

Those super-dense bones suggest that the whale may have spent its time in shallow, coastal waters, the authors said. Other coastal dwellers, like manatees, have heavy bones to help them stay close to the seafloor....
Wow. By comparison, I once tried to bring a likely grey whale vertebra into the US from Mexico (Customs seized it) in a large tote bag. It was bulky, but not that heavy.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Otter 841 update

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
A headline you don't see very often:

"Authorities issue warning after aggressive sea otter seen going after surfers in Santa Cruz"

https://abc7news.com/sea-otter-steals-s ... /13490929/

An otter in California is on the run from local and federal authorities, wanted for aggressively confronting locals and stealing surfboards at a popular beach. But its outlaw status has turned the slippery sea otter into an international icon, with growing support to leave her in the wild.

The 5-year-old female otter, known officially as otter 841, has been deemed a public safety risk by state and federal wildlife officials

"There are several petitions circulating online in support of 841's freedom, one of which has gathered over 50,000 signatures."
Great, something new to worry about. River otter be like, "Hold my beer."
Rare otter attack injures three women floating on inner tubes on popular Montana river

... One woman's wounds, on her face and arms, were so severe that the helicopter was used to fly her out, Jefferson County Undersheriff James Everett said. Her condition Thursday was unknown. The others had injuries to their arms.

“It's just not something you run into very often," Everett said. "Bears do it, moose too and ocasionaly a deer, but otters? That's not normal.”

... No otters have been seen there since Wednesday and there will be no efforts to catch or remove any of the animals because it's believed to have been a defensive attack, he said.

... Last month in California, a sea otter gained widespread attention for aggressively wrestling surfboards from surfers off the coast of Santa Cruz.
:shock: Montana officials are more accepting and tolerant than California snowflakes.

30 years in Montana and I don't recall ever seeing otters. I did see beavers.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Otter 841 update

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
A headline you don't see very often:

"Authorities issue warning after aggressive sea otter seen going after surfers in Santa Cruz"

https://abc7news.com/sea-otter-steals-s ... /13490929/

An otter in California is on the run from local and federal authorities, wanted for aggressively confronting locals and stealing surfboards at a popular beach. But its outlaw status has turned the slippery sea otter into an international icon, with growing support to leave her in the wild.

The 5-year-old female otter, known officially as otter 841, has been deemed a public safety risk by state and federal wildlife officials

"There are several petitions circulating online in support of 841's freedom, one of which has gathered over 50,000 signatures."
Rare otter attack injures three women floating on inner tubes on popular Montana river

... One woman's wounds, on her face and arms, were so severe that the helicopter was used to fly her out, Jefferson County Undersheriff James Everett said. Her condition Thursday was unknown. The others had injuries to their arms.

“It's just not something you run into very often," Everett said. "Bears do it, moose too and ocasionaly a deer, but otters? That's not normal.”

... No otters have been seen there since Wednesday and there will be no efforts to catch or remove any of the animals because it's believed to have been a defensive attack, he said.

... Last month in California, a sea otter gained widespread attention for aggressively wrestling surfboards from surfers off the coast of Santa Cruz.
:shock: Montana officials are more accepting and tolerant than California snowflakes.

30 years in Montana and I don't recall ever seeing otters. I did see beavers.
But you didn't have a surfboard

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Otter be afraid, very afraid

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:42 pm

... 30 years in Montana and I don't recall ever seeing otters. I did see beavers.
But you didn't have a surfboard
:D I did a lot of tubing, though.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Could be worse than Montana rivers, though:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/costa-rica-s ... 44430.html

NSFW video

:o :shock: :problem: :doh:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:11 pm
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuwnpKIvp4-/

Without further introduction
Agewall.
Restricted profile
You must be 21 years old or over to see this profile
:thumbdown: Not gonna register. Search for same vid elsewhere?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Agewall.
Restricted profile
When I click the link I get the Singing Donkey., nothing restricted or required

Probably worth trying again.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Here she is on YouTube

https://youtu.be/vg7ftpjhJ08

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:47 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Agewall.
Restricted profile
When I click the link I get the Singing Donkey., nothing restricted or required

Probably worth trying again.
Weird, your other Instagram link works fine for me.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:49 pm
Here she is on YouTube

https://youtu.be/vg7ftpjhJ08
:lol: Thanks. What an ass.
1312. ETTD.