Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:01 am
I don't think anybody ever said that "casting couch" selection or absolute power of movie moguls who could make or break a career on a whim was a good thing. But I do think we have a tendency to want to punish people today for acts that weren't crimes at the time. Despicable, maybe, but not crimes. It's as if they change the standards and want to punish retroactively. The studios and those who ran them, had enormous power because of money and that they had the ability to offer what many people craved - stardom or something close to it. The powerful men could get away with anything because nobody reported - nobody wanted to get on the bad side. The studios owned the performers and if Hitchcock (for example) didn't want you to get work, you weren't getting work. Again, nobody thought this was a good thing, but hundreds of thousands of people were willing to put up with it to get their chance at the golden ring.
I don't go so far as to say "punish" the bastards. Many like Hitchcock are dead, anyhow. However, it can irredeemably taint my viewing experience if "Despicable" behavior comes to mind. As GoCubsGo asked, does anyone here still watch Cosby? As for canceling with studios and broadcasters, I'll write a note if there's an organized campaign, but that's pretty much it.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

With me, righteous indignation works sometimes better than others. Ted Nugent is a nut, and I wouldn't go to a concert or seek any current work, if any, but if "Cat Scratch Fever" came on the radio I wouldn't change channel. I didn't watch "Cosby Show" very often anyway, but because he was the primary character, I might not be able to watch the show without seeing the sleazebag. But probably his early stand-up routines would still be funny.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:08 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:01 am
I don't think anybody ever said that "casting couch" selection or absolute power of movie moguls who could make or break a career on a whim was a good thing. But I do think we have a tendency to want to punish people today for acts that weren't crimes at the time. Despicable, maybe, but not crimes. It's as if they change the standards and want to punish retroactively. The studios and those who ran them, had enormous power because of money and that they had the ability to offer what many people craved - stardom or something close to it. The powerful men could get away with anything because nobody reported - nobody wanted to get on the bad side. The studios owned the performers and if Hitchcock (for example) didn't want you to get work, you weren't getting work. Again, nobody thought this was a good thing, but hundreds of thousands of people were willing to put up with it to get their chance at the golden ring.
I don't go so far as to say "punish" the bastards. Many like Hitchcock are dead, anyhow. However, it can irredeemably taint my viewing experience if "Despicable" behavior comes to mind. As GoCubsGo asked, does anyone here still watch Cosby? As for canceling with studios and broadcasters, I'll write a note if there's an organized campaign, but that's pretty much it.
Cosby is in the present. The casting couch of the 30s or the 50s is from a different time, different laws and different values.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:40 pm
Cosby is in the present. The casting couch of the 30s or the 50s is from a different time, different laws and different values.
Cosby was an asshole and criminal in any time. You brought up the casting couch. We know that it was/is there and is icky, but as you've implied the line between coercion and transactional volunteerism can be murky in specific cases. I've been referring to more serious accusations that turn me off from enjoying an artist.

Remember, O Really wanted to be the teen "molested" by his hot teacher. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:22 pm

True dat. Along with most everybody else in her class - all the males and some females.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:39 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:22 pm

True dat. Along with most everybody else in her class - all the males and some females.
Same
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Latino Americans
9 episode series
PBS 2013

Chronicles the rich and varied history and experiences of Latinos, who have helped shape the United States over the last 500-plus years and have become, with more than 50 million people, the largest minority group in the U.S.
Excellent. Episodes 6, 8 & 9 rebroadcast 9/28. Streaming, I'm sure.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am
GoCubsGo hit it several weeks ago
Premiere Night!
Spoiler:
Definitely some potential. I think I'm going to like the 90 minute format but you have to wonder how some of these people made it through casting.

Everyone is going to love to hate on Emily, hope she makes it far enough to be a real villain.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo hit it several weeks ago noting ...
You been watching?

I was rooting for her. Less the non drama of the first two boots I'm liking this season.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

I tired of Emily quickly, but she made a good play last night. GOA
No true GOAT goes out with an idol in her pocket.

Lulu's hopelessness is almost painful, but at least some merge appears to be coming.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:04 pm

Lulu's hopelessness is almost painful, but at least some merge appears to be coming.
I think they said it's a swap, guessing three tribes of five.

Lulu's futility was reminiscent of Cagayan.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A journey through more than 10,000 years of North American history and across some of the continent's most iconic landscapes, tracing the mammal's evolution.

Two 2-hour episodes premiered yesterday on PBS.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Episode 2 rerun tonight 10 pm EDT.
Upcoming: Tomorrow at 2:00 AM

Episode 1 rerun Thursday at 8:00 PM

Streaming, too, I'm sure.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:04 pm

Spoiler:
WTF?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:00 pm
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5 ... @._V1_.jpg

A journey through more than 10,000 years of North American history and across some of the continent's most iconic landscapes, tracing the mammal's evolution.

Two 2-hour episodes premiered yesterday on PBS.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Episode 2 rerun tonight 10 pm EDT.
Upcoming: Tomorrow at 2:00 AM

Episode 1 rerun Thursday at 8:00 PM

Streaming, too, I'm sure.
Episode 2 rerun tonight 10 pm EDT, now. Since things got so terribly bad it's mostly about hope and restoration.

I just watched Episode 1 :crybaby: It's mostly about near extinction and the deliberate genocide inflicted upon Indians. Maybe I should have watched them in the intended order :problem: Excellent, though, as Burns always is.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Daily Show hosted this week by Charlamagne tha God, who I never liked due to the self-aggrandizing handle, guests:
Wingnut Rep Nancy Mace (R-SC) :puke-left:
NYC Mayor Eric Adams :|
TRE45QN-stained Nikki Haley x 2 :puke-left: :puke-left:
:wtf:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

What the headline says:
"Dancing With the Stars Frontrunner Gives Crucial Update After Devastating Injury Put Her Future in Question"

What the content says:
"Read on for what happened with Xochitl Gomez’s injury on Dancing With the Stars Season 32 and where she is now after suffering a devastating knee wound."

What Xochitl says:
“Got scraped up climbing the altar but they fixed me up and we’ll see you at the dance marathon!”

“I’m all good. Trust,” she said. “I just hit my knee against the altar at the very top. I couldn’t tell if it was a twist or if it was something with my kneecap — I don’t know.”

"Devasting" indeed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

SNL host, October 14, 2023 rerun tonight:
Pete Davidson

Peter Michael Davidson was born in New York City's Staten Island borough on November 16, 1993, the son of Amy (née Waters) and Scott Matthew Davidson. His father was a New York City firefighter for Ladder 118 who died in service during the September 11, 2001 attacks, along with the rest of his unit. He was last seen running up the stairs of the Marriott World Trade Center just before the building was destroyed when the Twin Towers collapsed. His Requiem Mass was held at St. Clare's Catholic Church in Great Kills, Staten Island. Davidson, then aged seven, was profoundly affected by the loss. He told The New York Times that it was "overwhelming" and that he later acted out in school as a result of the trauma, at one point ripping his hair out until he was bald. In October 2016, he revealed on The Breakfast Club morning radio show that he struggled with suicidal thoughts when he was younger and that the music of Kid Cudi saved his life.
Non-comedic cold open prior to his comedic monologue laments the Israeli and Palestinian child victims :cry: :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGs93VPuZw

:-||
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo hit it several weeks ago noting
Spoiler:
WHY DOES EVERYONE I LIKE KEEP GETTING VOTED OFF?! :angry-cussing:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:34 pm
O Really wrote:
Spoiler:
Are we discussing TV or government? ;)
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:40 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:34 pm
O Really wrote:
Spoiler:
Are we discussing TV or government? ;)
I wouldn't be nearly as upset about government.