Wingnut Man states that aren't Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or the Carolinas

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Wingnut Man states that aren't Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or the Carolinas

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:34 pm
Human skull found in _______ charity shop Halloween section

Guess.
Spoiler:

Florida, of course. I just picked this thread to throw you off.
;) :wave:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67333740
The store owner told investigators the skull had been in a storage unit after being purchased several years ago.
Police in North little city spoiler around 160 miles (260km) north-west of big city spoiler, and the local medical examiner are now investigating the discovery and will inspect the skull further.
Officials do not believe the case is suspicious. (why would a skull in a storage locker near big drug city be suspicious?)
The Lee County Sheriff's Office made light of the discovery on social media, describing it as a "twist of not-so-humerus events".
:D Did you guess correctly?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:43 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:34 pm
Human skull found in _______ charity shop Halloween section

Guess.
Spoiler:

Florida, of course. I just picked this thread to throw you off.
;) :wave:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67333740
The store owner told investigators the skull had been in a storage unit after being purchased several years ago.
Police in North little city spoiler around 160 miles (260km) north-west of big city spoiler, and the local medical examiner are now investigating the discovery and will inspect the skull further.
Officials do not believe the case is suspicious. (why would a skull in a storage locker near big drug city be suspicious?)
The Lee County Sheriff's Office made light of the discovery on social media, describing it as a "twist of not-so-humerus events".
I did not.
My mistake, I assumed honesty is the thread title.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wingnut and not, all states

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:43 pm
I did not.
My mistake, I assumed honesty is the thread title.
:lol: :P

Not scientific:

I Asked Non-Americans To Tell Me What They Thought Of Each US State — They Did NOT Hold Back

1. ALABAMA
Alabama definitely has a...rough perception overseas. I thought this response had some interesting context:
"I think of inbreeding (horrible TV stereotype) and Sweet Home Alabama and Birmingham where we learned at school (UK) about the riots and atrocities that were done to African Americans in the '60s especially. Racism and segregation." —Crizzy444

5. CALIFORNIA
Now this one was fascinating — the dual nature of California's mystique really came to the fore with this batch of responses. On one hand, there's the natural beauty, temperate weather, and "Hollywood," but people overseas aren't seeing all sunshine and roses:
"Traffic jams on freeways bigger than most countries" —georginab45f8d57a8
"Laidback even though everything is insanely expensive. The beach and the mountains. A really beautiful state." —Spellsandcurses ✨
"Illegal aliens, homelessness, junky zombies, crime, roads and sidewalks paved in human feces, lawlessness." —warcok76

9. FLORIDA
Florida's reputation abroad is...interesting. The overall sentiment was one of chaos, political strife, and, well, Disney.
"Disneyland, swamps, transphobia." —zoecatherinegrant
"Ron DeSantis, who scares me even though he would have no jurisdiction over me as either president, as current governor of Florida, or in any other US legislative or executive capacity since I live in NI, but I'm still petrified of that man holding political office." —deirdrerocks88
"People die by alligators, and everyone wants to go live there in the winter. Or retire there. I'm in Canada, and many older people go there for the winter." —Azazel

13. ILLINOIS
I guess deep dish discourse hasn't made its way overseas. Probably for the best! This response made me laugh:
"Chicago is there, and that is all I know about it. Aside from New York, this appears to be where all the legal dramas are because 'Cook County' gets mentioned in every other crime show." —juliahowie1988

20. MARYLAND
OK, that first one really got me. Turns out it's a song by adult contempo crooner Vonda Shepard. I guess it was on Ally McBeal once upon a time? (Talk about a show that Gen Z would have no clue about...)
:D :headscratch:

26. MONTANA
"Hannah" had me confused for a minute, but then I looked at the name of the state again. 🫣
:lol: :oops:

30. NEW JERSEY
I had to include this very anthropological comment:
"A large Italian immigrant population led to a concentration of tanning beds in this region decades later" —juliahowie1988

33. NORTH CAROLINA
More South Carolina chatter in the commentary here than I was expecting!
:---P Phew. Hey, we're sorta purple still.

40. SOUTH CAROLINA
Sorry, Carolinas, that's all I got!
:roll:

42. TENNESSEE
Strong brand for Tennessee! Some additional responses:
"Home of the Grand Ole Opry." —ravenbard
"Tennessee Williams." —georginab45f8d57a8
And a bonus from a commenter who has to live in Nashville:
"Bachelorette parties with giant inflated penises." —jefavia

47. WASHINGTON
Some Washingtonians weighed in as well:
"That only describes half the state. :) We also have a more desert climate with majority sunny days on the east side." —lisaa31
"If Washington were a sign, it would definitely be Gemini. The west side is green, cool, progressive. The east is brown, MAGA, boring AF..." —raingirl98275
"I promise not everyone over here on the east side are MAGA cultists. :) And it's not boring if you like being outdoors." —lisaa31
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wingnut Tennessee Leg, again

Tennessee GQP add to its deplorable anti-democratic and public disdaining record:

Tennessee House Republicans defend requiring tickets for more than half of the public gallery seats
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I find this UK perception of Alabama to rank high on the clueless list when it comes to inbreeding and atrocities committed by their government against their citizens on religious grounds, but then they do give themselves a pass by simply calling it The Troubles

"I think of inbreeding (horrible TV stereotype) and Sweet Home Alabama and Birmingham where we learned at school (UK) about the riots and atrocities that were done to African Americans in the '60s especially. Racism and segregation." —Crizzy444

I’ve always appreciated the Florida penis imagery
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:34 pm
Reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant.

https://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fit:8 ... 3CzhA.jpeg
"It's a tree!" Yum.
:lol: Florida remains the state by which other :crazy: is measured.
According to KGET, a video of a man reportedly carrying a severed leg in Wasco made the rounds on social media over the weekend. The limb allegedly belonged to an individual who was struck and killed at the local Amtrak train station on Friday morning, TMZ writes....
Ewww.

Different accident:
Carlos Baldovinos, executive director of the Mission at Kern County, told KGET that someone brought a severed hand to the shelter three weeks ago following an incident where a train hit a pedestrian in Bakersfield.

“I have never seen or heard of anything like that before,” said Baldovinos.

What makes things even more confusing is that investigators supposedly accounted for all body parts in the Bakersfield crash.
:wtf: The investigators are California men.

O Really, what's up with this trend, and does it still count as vegan in California as long as no non-human animals are exploited?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, Bakersfield and it's surrounds, including Wasco, are not exactly "trendy" no matter the definition. Unfortunately, there are a lot of instances of person-train collisions. Ten this year in SD County so far. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... in-del-mar

Dunno about the vegan, but IMNVHO those people are missing a lot of life anyway, so they can make their own rules.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am
Well, Bakersfield and it's surrounds, including Wasco, are not exactly "trendy" no matter the definition. Unfortunately, there are a lot of instances of person-train collisions. Ten this year in SD County so far. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... in-del-mar

Dunno about the vegan, but IMNVHO those people are missing a lot of life anyway, so they can make their own rules.
Yeah, suicides and earphones, but I meant the "trend" of strolling away with the resultant body parts ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tennessee Wingnuts...

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:14 am
Tennessee giving Florida Man a run for his money:
Tennessee passes 'chemtrail' bill banning airborne chemicals
Tennessee lawmakers have passed a bill banning the release of airborne chemicals that critics say is inspired by "chemtrails" conspiracy theories.

... The Republican-sponsored bill passed along party lines on Monday. If it is signed by Tennessee's governor, Republican Bill Lee, it will go into effect on 1 July.

Several witnesses who testified before the Tennessee legislature cited debunked conspiracy theories or speculated about secret government geoengineering programmes, according to Scott Banbury, conservation director of the state's branch of the Sierra Club, an environmental organisation.
:roll:
Their claims were troubling, he said.

"As a serious environmental organisation, if what was in the bill was actually going on we would be calling for a stop to it," he said. "It's not happening."
:thumbup:
... In a joking response, John Ray Clemmons, a Democrat from Nashville, introduced an amendment that would protect fictional beasts.

"This amendment would make sure that we are protecting yetis, or Sasquatch or Bigfoot, from whatever this conspiracy is that we're passing in this legislation," he said during debate.
:lol: :---P
"This legislation is not to be taken seriously," he said.

Mr Clemmons told the BBC that several of his fellow lawmakers believe in QAnon theories and conspiracies about vaccines being hidden in food.
:puke-left:
"This is unfortunately nothing new," he said. "There's a lot of things we could be doing to reduce living costs for our working families, but we are wasting time with this."...
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Wingnut Tennessee Leg, again

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm
Tennessee GQP add to its deplorable anti-democratic and public disdaining record:

Tennessee House Republicans defend requiring tickets for more than half of the public gallery seats
TN came out pretty good in that state comparison, but the Marsha Blackburn factor was not mentioned. That would have been at least a twenty point penalty. Speaking of TN, the state legislature has been on one of the local PBs channels for the entire session. I noticed a story on yahoo news this morning where a wingnut TN legislator wanted to introduce a bill the would prohibit any foodstuffs, specifically lettuce, from being sold at grocery stores if any of those foodstuffs had elements of any vaccine in them. When he was asked for any examples where this had occurred, he could not provide any, instead just saying that the technology is there and it's bound to happen at some point. What a bunch of goddamn morons. The guy (old and white) even looked and talked like a moron.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:53 pm
TN came out pretty good in that state comparison, but the Marsha Blackburn factor was not mentioned. That would have been at least a twenty point penalty. Speaking of TN, the state legislature has been on one of the local PBs channels for the entire session. I noticed a story on yahoo news this morning where a wingnut TN legislator wanted to introduce a bill the would prohibit any foodstuffs, specifically lettuce, from being sold at grocery stores if any of those foodstuffs had elements of any vaccine in them. When he was asked for any examples where this had occurred, he could not provide any, instead just saying that the technology is there and it's bound to happen at some point. What a bunch of goddamn morons. The guy (old and white) even looked and talked like a moron.
I think he's being smart now that vaccines can't be delivered by chemtrail.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:21 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:53 pm
I think he's being smart now that vaccines can't be delivered by chemtrail.
Here's some stupid shit they just passed....a fetal devlopment video made by an anti abortion group that all TN public schools will have to show.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-la ... 11401.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wingnut Tennessee

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Wingnut Tennessee

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:45 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:39 pm
Here's some stupid shit they just passed....a fetal devlopment video made by an anti abortion group that all TN public schools will have to show.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-la ... 11401.html
:puke-left: :angry-cussing:

I feel bad for you:

‘You have imprisoned our democracy’: inside Republicans’ domination of Tennessee
A year after the Covenant school shooting in Nashville – and a mass movement for gun control – Republicans have accelerated their attacks on democratic norms

:angry-banghead:

You may have a small window before this bill is signed and takes effect:

Tennessee legislature passes bill banning marriage between first cousins
Proposal sails through, with one vocal opponent saying gay first cousins do not risk having a child with birth defects

Good luck!
I think it's weird they felt the need to do this. Also weird that if it wasn't illegal before (tradition by default) why make it so now? I think some Republican legislator has had a bad experience with this sort of thing and the whold thing is because of a goddamn love story. I notice the new law does not say anything about marrying your aunt. Dubmasses.

O Really
Admiral

I never thought much about it, and don't know or particularly care why Tennessee would make it an issue now. But as it turns out, 16 other states plus DC do allow cousin marriage - and not just the inbred ones you might expect.

Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, and Vermont.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:37 pm
I think it's weird they felt the need to do this. Also weird that if it wasn't illegal before (tradition by default) why make it so now? I think some Republican legislator has had a bad experience with this sort of thing and the whole thing is because of a goddamn love story. I notice the new law does not say anything about marrying your aunt. Dubmasses.
I'm not in favor of first cousins procreating, but in 2024 it's not like marriage makes children more likely. Are they going to ban first cousin banging next? Free Tennessee!
O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:23 pm
I never thought much about it, and don't know or particularly care why Tennessee would make it an issue now. But as it turns out, 16 other states plus DC do allow cousin marriage - and not just the inbred ones you might expect.

Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, and Vermont.
BRD has a high number of first cousin incest-tolerant states.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:49 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:37 pm
I think it's weird they felt the need to do this. Also weird that if it wasn't illegal before (tradition by default) why make it so now? I think some Republican legislator has had a bad experience with this sort of thing and the whole thing is because of a goddamn love story. I notice the new law does not say anything about marrying your aunt. Dubmasses.
I'm not in favor of first cousins procreating, but in 2024 it's not like marriage makes children more likely. Are they going to ban first cousin banging next? Free Tennessee!
O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:23 pm

BRD has a high number of first cousin incest-tolerant states.
Well, ok dammit. My mother's sister had a daughter about three years older than me....she was damn good looking. But I never asked her to marry me. I knew right off that sort of thing would piss off most of the family. But all of us male cousins had remarked on how she looked. Nobody let on regarding anything weird. Including me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:36 pm
Well, ok dammit. My mother's sister had a daughter about three years older than me....she was damn good looking. But I never asked her to marry me. I knew right off that sort of thing would piss off most of the family. But all of us male cousins had remarked on how she looked. Nobody let on regarding anything weird. Including me.
Look her up . . . quick.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Here, Florida Man - hold my beer.
A man who claimed he killed his friend because he believed the victim was summoning Bigfoot was convicted of murder.
Jimmy Knighten was strangled to death in July 2022 while out fishing with Sanders, the outlets reported. After waiving a right to a jury trial, Sanders’ attorney reportedly claimed that his client had acted in self-defense.

The Oklahoman reported that Sanders claimed during testimony that while out noodling with Knighten, he had seen three sasquatch-looking figures by the river.

Witnesses for the prosecution testified that Sanders had said he believed Knighten was trying to kill him and send his body down the river as a sacrifice to Bigfoot, reported The Oklahoman.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/okla-fisherm ... 50060.html