Trump on Trial

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Trump on Trial

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:17 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:04 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:43 pm
This isn't a conversation at any other time in history.
Trump GUILTY!

Of contempt, $9K fine and must remove posts. It's a start, jail threatened.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/trump-t ... 00992.html
:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

It's a snoozer.
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1785365397564260754
Escalation cooking, we'll see.

CNN Fact-Checker Spots The Pattern With Donald Trump’s Latest Courthouse Lie
The former president conjured the claim “out of thin air,” said Daniel Dale.

... “Well, I’m not allowed to testify. I’m under a gag order, I guess,” Trump complained to reporters....
:bs: :crybaby:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:45 am

... “Well, I’m not allowed to testify. I’m under a gag order, I guess,” Trump complained to reporters....
Judge shut that down this morning.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:45 am

Judge shut that down this morning.
Ah, thanks.

Trump trial judge shoots down former president's claim that gag order prevents him from testifying
:---P
... At the beginning of court proceedings Friday, Judge Juan Merchan said that it had come to his attention that Trump may have misunderstood his order. "It does not prohibit you from taking the stand,” Merchan said. Commonly known as a "gag order," the judge's decision is actually called an order "restricting extrajudicial statements" — statements made outside of court.

“As the name of the order indicates, it only applies to extrajudicial statements (you ignorant slut),” Merchan said. Trump then mouthed, "Thank you."...
No wonder, 'extrajudicial' has way too many syllables for Dolt .45.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump Biographer Has Stark Warning For His Attorneys On What Happens Next
The author of a 2005 book about Trump says one key assumption his attorneys make often turns out to be disastrously wrong.

Donald Trump biographer Tim O’Brien on Thursday warned the former president’s attorneys that the gig might not be as lucrative as they think.

MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace pointed out that many of Trump’s past lawyers have ended up in trouble themselves.

“You don’t have many people who have come out better for it,” she said.

“I don’t think there are any,” O’Brien said, delivering a warning: They might not even get paid.

“If you don’t perform well in front of Donald Trump, he won’t pay his bills,” he said. “And this sort of trade off that, ‘I’ll get publicity or I’ll get a good paycheck, and it’ll be worth whatever professional and personal embarrassments I suffer on the way to that road show,’ I think it often doesn’t come together for people.”

O’Brien also said Trump attorney Todd Blanche was “performative” in court, to a “disastrous” effect.

“I’m assuming in his real life, which is a life apart from Donald Trump and being Donald Trump’s attorney, he’s a more calm, collected, sober-minded person,” he said. “But today he was buffoonish.”...
Opps :---P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Somebody is skeered of going to jail. :lol:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

They should verify whether Stormy is being truthful by making the Mushroom Man drop trou :twisted:

Opinion
Shameless Judge Cannon May Have Killed Trump’s Classified Docs Case

:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Can't believe a motion hasn't been made to have her recused.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:13 pm
Let's hope Smith has good reasons. Not wanting further delay might be one of them.

Opinion
Stormy Daniels Testifies on Donald Trump’s Revolting Pick-Up Line

... ”You remind me of my daughter because she is smart and blonde and beautiful and people underestimate her as well,” the adult film actress recalled Trump saying.
:o :puke-left:
Trump also asked Daniels if she would be willing to go on his reality show, The Apprentice, and Daniels demurred. Trump told her that people would see that she’s not just a “bimbo.”

She worried aloud that she wouldn’t fare well on the competition show. Trump said, “What if I told you what the challenges are?”...
Aha, he rigged the results. Figures.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Let's hope Smith has good reasons. Not wanting further delay might be one of them.

Whelp, that rationale is gone. Apparently the classified docs are too complicated for her to sort out.

Bet a competent judge could handle it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:16 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Whelp, that rationale is gone. Apparently the classified docs are too complicated for her to sort out.
Yep :(
"competent" compared to Loose Cannon ain't saying much. Even an incompetent non-MAGAt would do better.

Irony Meters Explode Over Donald Trump Attorney Alina Habba's Latest Trial Spin
The former president's attorney talked about credibility, and you know what happened.

:lol:
She would know.
Fact Checking...

Alina Habba has lost every case for Trump.

She's the only one not credible here.
weird talking about herself like that
.@AlinaHabba That's correct.
Alina Habba
Rudy Giuliani
Sidney Powell
Jenna Ellis
John Eastman
Kenneth Chesebro
Jeffrey Clark
Christina Bobb

Trump sure does picks people who aren't credible.

The difference here is that @StormyDaniels has actual receipts. Not fake ones.
:---P Article and more tweets at the link.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Seems like dolt 45 had a very bad day in court and is crying in motions that he can't retaliate against Stormy.

Judge said nyet.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Michael Cohen's testimony is damming and hugely embarrassing for Dolt 45. :happy-cheerleaderkid:

And in my (probably biased) mind perfectly believable. Most of it's collaborative and if I were a juror I'd also be cognizant of the fact he's under oath and could be jailed again if he perjured.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah, besides they have a good argument that (1) when he lied, it was for Trump and (2) he served time for that and (3) he is no longer beholded to Trump and doesn't want any more jail. And people who are witnesses in a trial often "hate" the defendant (like because they raped you) but that doesn't make their testimony untrue.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:01 pm
Yeah, besides they have a good argument that (1) when he lied, it was for Trump and (2) he served time for that and (3) he is no longer beholded to Trump and doesn't want any more jail. And people who are witnesses in a trial often "hate" the defendant (like because they raped you) but that doesn't make their testimony untrue.
They always "forget" to mention that Cohen's lies were the core of the conspiracy with Dolt .45. Funny that.

'Really Embarrassing': Trump And Pals Mocked Over Cringeworthy New Money Plea
The former president and his allies found a new way to use his criminal trial to try to raise cash.

... The video features three members of the former president’s family: Donald Trump, Eric Trump and Lara Trump, who is also co-chair of the Republican National Committee. Two GOP members of the House from Florida, Byron Donalds and Cory Mills, also appear, as does former Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy....

Imagine the idiocy of making a fundraising appeal at a courthouse where your nominee is being criminally prosecuted.
My god, this is embarrassing.
Jo
@JoJoFromJerz
This is real. This isn’t parody.
Somehow, this is real. 😂😂
Is this the type of cutting edge strategy they were hoping to get when they put Lara Trump in charge of the RNC?

Wearing matching Trump outfits while using the mandatory Trump phrases does nothing to dispel the "its a cult" narrative.

Then you film it in court to specifically highlight that Trump is on trial for falsifying documents in order to hide the hush money payments that were used to cover up his affairs from the voting public?

Interesting approach...
There's nothing to see here — Just Trump taking a break from his criminal trial to do some grifting.
:---P More tweets at the link.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

No mention of the trump cult uniform of dark suits and red MAGA ties? :laughing-rolling:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:13 pm
Jack Smith Basically Has One Option to Save the Classified Documents Case

Special counsel Jack Smith is in a bind. While his Jan. 6–related indictment of Donald Trump is stalled until the Supreme Court weighs in, Florida District Court Judge Aileen Cannon gutted Smith’s remaining opportunity to take Trump to trial before the November election—in this case, over allegedly hoarding classified documents. On the face of it, Smith’s hands are tied, but there is one rare legal maneuver he could try to force Cannon’s hand.

It’s called a writ of mandamus, and it’s a centuries-old rule that allows a litigant to bypass their assigned district court judge and go directly to a court of appeals to ask for a court order mandating a judge to correct any abuse of discretion and force them to act according to their judicial duties. It’s essentially a legal slap on the wrist, but it’s rarely used because district court judges are typically given a lot of leeway to run their dockets and appellate courts are loath to get involved.

This is, however, hardly a typical situation, with a former U.S. president facing criminal charges—and Cannon isn’t exactly an ordinary judge, either, having been appointed to her current seat by the defendant. This, coupled with Cannon’s handling of the classified documents case thus far, has led Glenn Danas, an appeals expert and partner at Clarkson Law Firm, to think a writ of mandamus could be in Smith’s reach.

“It seems there’s an appearance of home cooking, because [Trump] appointed Judge Cannon and she is very young and kind of inexperienced,” Danas told Slate. “It seems like she’s going out of her way to afford the defendants an extraordinary amount of time and her own judicial resources to get every single thing that they want done in a way that seems unusual.”

... But in order for Smith’s writ to have any chance of consideration by the appellate court, he must prove there is no other adequate legal remedy available. Realistically, Danas and McMunigal don’t think there is one, since once a case is assigned to a judge, technically almost no decision they make can be appealed until the final jury verdict is reached. (A litigant can file an interlocutory appeal if they dispute a judge’s ruling before trial, but it would go to Cannon first, and only if she rejects it can the appeal proceed to the appellate court. The same process applies if Smith were to ask for a new judge. More often than not, appellate courts don’t like to get involved in matters like these.)

“You have to make a case that if the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals doesn’t jump in, you’re going to suffer some sort of harm that can’t be fixed later,” said Danas. “It might be something like an invasion of privilege or maybe disqualification of counsel.” It boils down to showing the appellate court that Cannon has abused her discretion in a way that’s permanently going to damage Smith’s case. And one way the special counsel could achieve this is by simply admitting he wants to take Trump to trial before the November election.

The special counsel has never explicitly said in public statements or court filings that he wants a speedy trial for Trump before the presidential election, likely in an effort to evade any accusations of bias or ill motive. (Instead, Smith has said there is a “national interest” in seeing Trump’s charges “resolved promptly.”) However, given the gravity of his classified documents case and Cannon’s recent decision to eliminate a trial date, Danas believes Smith could seriously consider showing his cards. “Perhaps it’s better just to be forthright about it and say, ‘I’m a special prosecutor and I don’t necessarily have a political dog in the fight, but I think it’s important for the country’s functioning to get these things done in an average way; if not on a fast track, then at least on a normal track.’ ”

Through all rungs of the country’s judicial system, maintaining a sense of fairness is a major concern, and if Smith argues Cannon is indulging in an extraordinary amount of delay in order to push this trial past the November election, which helps Trump, it could convince the appellate court to consider his writ.

“If I were working on this, I would file a writ of mandamus ASAP,” said Danas.
-0-? It would be nice to see Smith try something, anything. Where's Merrick?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 6:25 pm

-0-? It would be nice to see Smith try something, anything. Where's Merrick?
They might as well go nuclear, there's just not much to lose.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Article
:---P
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:40 am
No mention of the trump cult uniform of dark suits and red MAGA ties? :laughing-rolling:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:34 am
Is this the type of cutting edge strategy they were hoping to get when they put Lara Trump in charge of the RNC?

Wearing matching Trump outfits while using the mandatory Trump phrases does nothing to dispel the "its a cult" narrative.

Then you film it in court to specifically highlight that Trump is on trial for falsifying documents in order to hide the hush money payments that were used to cover up his affairs from the voting public?

Interesting approach...
Great minds . . .
Rachel Maddow Can't Get Over What Donald Trump's GOP Allies Wore To Court

... “They were all wearing the exact same outfit,” Maddow exclaimed. “It was like they were Rockettes.”

... Maddow mockingly suggested that House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) was allowed to wear a striped tie because of his leadership role.

But “all the rest of them, it’s the exact same thing and they’re dressed up like him to praise him,” she noted.

They also all used “the same language” and described Trump “as their friend.”

“I don’t know if Donald Trump has friends. I don’t think that Vivek Ramaswamy is one of them, if he does have friends. And this is a display of sycophancy and a job interview,” she added.

MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace, meanwhile, said it was “clownish to me.”

Watch that video here:

'Like a crime family’: Donald Trump’s GOP allies and VP hopeful's join him in court to prove loyalty
1312. ETTD.