Generational Conflict?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Generational Conflict?

Unread post by O Really »

So every generation has differences from those that preceded them, and I suppose the "old folks" have always had criticisms of the young, claiming that they're surely on their way to Hell in a handbasket because of their funny clothes, crazy dances, harsh music, whatever.

But it seems to me that there is way too much yammering about Boomers, GenX Milleniums, GenZ etc and meaningless differences. Articles flip by all the time (most of which I don't read but can't help seeing the first paragraph) focusing on different generations like everybody in an arbitrarily-named birth groups are on different constantly-competitive teams. It is also assumed that a person is forever imprinted with his/her uniform generational characteristics and will remain unchanged. Nevermind that realistically a "Millenium" born in 1994 will have a life more similar to a "GenZ" born in 1995 than a 1980 version Millenium.

I mostly just ignored it until it reached the point of ridiculous by distinguishing between Millenials and GenZ by whether they wear ankle or high-top socks and whether they part their hair in the middle or on the side.

Is it just me, or am I victim to algorythms, or is there really way more emphasis on fabricated generational issues than there used to be?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Generational Conflict?

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Ok Boomer 😁.

I'm not sure much has changed except for maybe your Google algorithms.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I don't really pay attention to it, and even lose track of the parameters defining the generations. I expect 50 year olds to be different from 20 year olds. It is a little more interesting to me how one set of 50 year olds, for example, differs from a prior set, but I also expect generational changes there over time. I don't care about the frivolous, but it does matter to me how education is failing or succeeding or whether wealth has been transferred from the working and middle classes to the fat cats.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It may be there are more named generations now than when we were first "Boomers." Or maybe it's just more internet drivel. Seems somtimes like a generational membership is like an astrological sign. "Hi, I'm a Millennial. I match well with GenX's but am incompatible with GenZ's"