WNBA

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: WNBA

Unread post by Vrede too »

Reese's Piece Of History

Sky rookie Angel Reese now holds the record for the longest double-double streak within a season in WNBA history.
Season Player Streak Team
2024 Angel Reese 10* Sky
2015 Candace Parker 9 Sparks
2012 Sylvia Fowles 8 Sky
2011 Sylvia Fowles 8 Sky
*includes Sunday's game
:-||

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

The women can ball.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:11 am
The women can ball.

CAITLIN CLARK DESTROYING HER DEFENDER AND ELECTRIFYING LOGO SHOT AGAINST PHOENIX MERCURY

Game highlights - Clark shots, assists and plays by other Fevers :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:11 am
The women can ball.
Rookies Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese are named to WNBA All-Star team

... This is the first time two rookies are WNBA All-Stars in the same season since 2014.

Reese, who has also been named WNBA Rookie of the Month for June, was emotional after learning about her All-Star selection.

“I’m just so happy,” she told reporters through tears. “All the work I put in, coming into this league so many people doubted me – didn’t think my game would translate and I wouldn’t be the player that I was in college … I trusted the process and I believed.”

... Clark, meanwhile, was named Rookie of the Month in May and has consistently drawn huge crowds during her time in the WNBA. On Tuesday, 20,366 watched her Fever lose 88-69 against the Las Vegas Aces, the fifth-biggest crowd in league history and largest since 1999.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been her teammate before, even at USA Basketball or anything like that,” Clark told reporters about linking up with former college rival Reese. “I know people are going to be really excited about it, but I hope it doesn’t take away from everybody else....

Team WNBA will take on the USA Basketball Women’s National Team at the Footprint Center in Phoenix for a sold-out game on July 20....

The All-Stars were chosen by fans (50% of the vote), current WNBA players (25%) and a national panel of broadcasters and sportswriters (25%).
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :-|| :-||
Angel Reese dominates and extends record streak in Chicago Sky win over Seattle Storm

Angel Reese had a dominant performance on Friday, extending her WNBA single-season record streak for double doubles to 12 and matching the all-time record, in a big 88-84 road win for the Chicago Sky over the Seattle Storm.

Fresh off being named a WNBA All-Star, Reese impressed with 27 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks to help the Sky win their second game on the bounce against a Storm squad which had been on a four-game winning streak and 8-1 at home until Friday night.

The former LSU star’s 12th consecutive double double matches the all-time record set by all-time WNBA great Candace Parker, who achieved the feat across the 2009 and 2010 seasons....
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :-||

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Caitlin Clark notches triple-double, first by WNBA rookie

Fever guard Caitlin Clark recorded the first triple-double by a rookie in WNBA history on Saturday in Indiana's 83-78 victory over the first-place New York Liberty in Indianapolis.

Clark pulled down her 10th rebound at the 7:07 mark of the fourth quarter, giving her the triple-double. She finished the game with 19 points, a season-high-tying 13 assists and 12 rebounds.

Clark, who wears No. 22, reached the triple-double in the 22nd game of her WNBA career. It was also the first triple-double in Fever history, going back to the launch of the franchise in 2000. Clark had 17 triple-doubles in her college career at Iowa -- and the Hawkeyes won all those games.

"Obviously, it's cool," Clark said of the triple-double. "My teammates have been finishing the ball [at a] really, really high rate. My assist numbers, that's because of them."

Clark, though, was more excited about the fact that the Fever beat the Liberty, ending the franchise's nine-game losing streak to New York. Clark and the Fever had lost three times to the Liberty earlier this season, two of them in 36-point blowouts.
Fever's Phenom

Caitlin Clark reached 350 points and 150 assists in her 22nd career game. That's the fastest mark by any player to start a season in WNBA history, regardless of years in the league.
... The Fever rallied from a deficit of 11 points in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Liberty 28-12 over the last 8:10 of the game. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the comeback tied as the WNBA's second-largest in the fourth quarter against the team with the league's best record. The Liberty entered Saturday 17-3.

Clark's triple-double was also the first in league history against the team with the best record at that time....
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :-|| and :happy-cheerleaderkid: :-|| for the team.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's a race for Rookie of the Year.
Angel Reese sets WNBA mark for consecutive games with double-double

Chicago Sky rookie sensation Angel Reese made WNBA history on Sunday when she recorded her 13th consecutive double-double, a new league record, in her team's 84-71 loss to the Seattle Storm.

With 17 points and 14 rebounds in the contest, Reese surpassed the W's previous record of 12 consecutive double-doubles, accomplished by all-time great Candace Parker across the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

"I'm just trying to be consistent for my teammates, doing whatever I can to help my team," Reese said. "I think I didn't do enough tonight, but just being able to be there for my teammates and knowing that I have a job to do every day no matter if I'm a rookie or a vet."

"It's absolutely amazing to see," first-year head coach Teresa Weatherspoon said of Reese's feat. "She might be surprising herself, but she's not surprising me. It's something that she can do because it's something that she puts the work in to be able to do. And it's a will and want-to... it's awesome to see the work that you have to put in to be able to do this."

Reese also reached the 275-point, 225-rebound and 30-steal threshold in just 20 games. Only Yolanda Griffith (19 in 1999) recorded such numbers in fewer games.

Reese now has 14 double-doubles on the season, tied for fifth-most all time for a rookie. The double-double record for a first-year player is 22 by Tina Charles....

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:14 am
Not everyone may be like me, but I'm sure I'm not all that unusual in that the only WNBA player I could name before Caitlin was Britney Griner and that's because she was bagged by the Russians. I don't think I could have named the WNBA teams or locations. I think I knew that UConn was a womens basketball power, but didn't know any players. I don't know that I could find wherever University of Iowa is with a GPS. But suddenly there's Caitlin - giving us a face, a personality, a story - a reason to be interested in the games and the players.

So maybe Caitlin is just a talented rookie; maybe she's not yet in the top 12 pro players, but she's already done a lot for that league - more in some ways than any of the other 12, and she deserves a spot on the national team.
You were heard in SC, sort of:

Dawn Staley on Caitlin Clark's Olympic omission: 'If we had to do it all over again ... she would be in really high consideration'

Fever now 11-15 and in 7/8 playoff position ahead of 10-14 8/8 Chicago after a 3-8 start :thumbup:

More Caitlin-related news:

WNBA All-Star (vs USA) Game in Phoenix draws record number of viewers

Team USA defeats Germany after WNBA All-Star Game struggles
:lol:

WNBA secures 'monumental' media deal with Disney, Amazon, NBCU

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:-|| I had feared that she wouldn't be the same standout star when playing against pros. Silly me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Sky hilariously asked the Fever for a truce after Caitlin Clark dished an assist to Angel Reese

:lol: :thumbup:

Caitlin Clark launched a beautiful full-court pass to break the WNBA rookie assist record

:shock: :clap: :-||

Caitlin Clark couldn't believe she got a technical foul for slapping the stanchion in frustration

Indiana Fever 92-75 win over the Seattle Storm.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Indiana Fever 13-15, 7/8 for playoff spot ahead of
Chicago Sky 11-16, 8/8
https://www.espn.com/wnba/standings
Sky's Angel Reese becomes fastest to 20 double-doubles in loss

Chicago Sky rookie Angel Reese scored 19 points and grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds in Sunday's 86-68 loss to the Phoenix Mercury, becoming the fastest in WNBA history to record 20 double-doubles.

The No. 7 draft pick has grabbed double-digit rebounds in 20 consecutive games and set the double-double record after just 27 games. Reese is now two double-doubles shy of matching the Sky single-season record (set by Sylvia Fowles in 2011) and the WNBA rookie record (set by Tina Charles in 2010)....
:clap: :-||

Jasmine
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Jasmine »

I’ve always enjoyed women’s basketball, and followed the WNBA in the league’s early years. I remember stars like Lisa Leslie, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, Dawn Staley, Jennifer Azzi, Tamika Catchings, etc. I stopped watching after a while, but Caitlin Clark lured me back in. I’ve watched every Indiana Fever game of the season so far. I really enjoy seeing a team develop from winless (they started 0-9, I think) to a rising contender.

The league will continue to flourish with future stars like Paige Bueckers, JuJu Watkins and Azzi Fudd on the horizon!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Caitlin is more than a franchise player - she's gonna pull up the entire league. I'm seeing Fever shirts on people that probably couldn't have found Indiana on map before Caitlin.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

When I was in college I played on an intramural team and their were some women that wanted to scrimmage with us. My buds an I were like sure, why not.

We got embarrassed by the women's team. Oops. :oops:

The women can play, it's a little slower and mostly below the rim, but they can play and are fun to watch.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Caitlin and Angel especially add style and personality that creates interest from people who might not otherwise notice. Most sports run as heavily on personality as actual game performance. Fans like to know their players. I'm sure there must have been strong personalities in WNBA before, but for whatever reason they just didn't strike a spark. Timing may have helped - Caitlin and Angel got reams of coverage at the end of their college careers so people followed them to the pros.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:01 am
Caitlin and Angel especially add style and personality that creates interest from people who might not otherwise notice. Most sports run as heavily on personality as actual game performance. Fans like to know their players. I'm sure there must have been strong personalities in WNBA before, but for whatever reason they just didn't strike a spark. Timing may have helped - Caitlin and Angel got reams of coverage at the end of their college careers so people followed them to the pros.
It helps that they've played up to the hype, setting rookie and even WNBA records left and right.

I was a super fan of Montana's Lady Griz in the 80s and 90s. They dominated conference play and would then lose in the 1st or 2nd round of MM, one time at home. They were better than the men and often outsold tix. One year they and Bozeman's Lady Bobcats were both undefeated leading up to the final regular season game. We sold out the arena, 8k+, and the Griz won. Damn, that was fun. I never got back into it here :(

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Jasmine wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:22 pm
I’ve always enjoyed women’s basketball, and followed the WNBA in the league’s early years. I remember stars like Lisa Leslie, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes, Dawn Staley, Jennifer Azzi, Tamika Catchings, etc. I stopped watching after a while, but Caitlin Clark lured me back in. I’ve watched every Indiana Fever game of the season so far. I really enjoy seeing a team develop from winless (they started 0-9, I think) to a rising contender.

The league will continue to flourish with future stars like Paige Bueckers, JuJu Watkins and Azzi Fudd on the horizon!
Another believer:
Dave Portnoy banking on Caitlin Clark to win him $10m from ambitious wager
Barstool Sports CEO Dave Portnoy once again places a massive wager, picking Caitlin Clark and the Indiana Fever to win the WNBA title this October.

Barstool's Dave Portnoy has launched yet another ambitious wager: at +10000 odds, the eccentric personality placed $100,000 on Caitlin Clark and the Indiana Fever to win the WNBA title. "Caitlin Clark is a top 3 player in the league," Portnoy tweeted alongside a screenshot of the bet on DraftKings....

Some of his notable wins include $2.1 million from the UConn Huskies winning the NCAA basketball tournament and $1.3 from Scottie Scheffler winning The Masters....
:shock: GoDave&CaitlinGo!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Caitlin Clark makes history 👏 Quickest WNBA player to 500 PTS & 200 AST | WNBA Highlights

Caitlin Clark records 23 PTS, 5 REB & 8 AST in the Indiana Fever’s 90-80 loss to the Minnesota Lynx. Clark became the fastest player in WNBA history to reach 500 points in 200 assists as she reached the numbers in 29 career games, 6 faster than Sue Bird.

O Really
Admiral

And does it without full-sleeve tats.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:53 pm
And does it without full-sleeve tats.
Okay Boomer :P

O Really
Admiral

I thought you might call me racist. I didn't expect ageism from you.