Failed prohibition

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:16 pm
Well, I can see why Virginia and NC might be hesitant. After all, in the more than a decade that states have legalized recreational weed, all of the worst predictions and nightmares of "Reefer Madness" have all occurred. Oh wait.

Well, surely Virginia and NC wouldn't want any revenue from that evil weed, would they? I mean, what in the world would they need with an extra half-billion or so in revenue?
https://www.fastcompany.com/91109592/ta ... -4-20-2024
:D :thumbup: Meanwhile:
Maryland is pardoning 175,000 marijuana convictions. It's part of a trend

Gov. Wes Moore, center, holds an executive order authorizing pardons for at least 175,000 criminal convictions related to marijuana. Legalization, Moore said, “doesn't erase the fact that Black Marylanders were three times more likely to be arrested for cannabis than white Marylanders before legalization."

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore is absolving people convicted of more than 175,000 cannabis-related crimes, in what the governor called “the most sweeping state level pardon in any state in American history.”

The large-scale absolution comes a year after Maryland legalized recreational marijuana use. The lion’s share of the cases are misdemeanors: More than 150,000 convictions are for possession of cannabis, and more than 18,000 convictions are for possession with intent to use drug paraphernalia.

“We cannot celebrate the benefits of legalization if we do not address the consequences of criminalization,” Moore, a Democrat, said before signing an executive order issuing the pardons on Monday.

The governor’s office did not specify how many people would be affected by the pardons, noting that one person could have multiple eligible convictions. And while the initial tally focuses on cases in the state’s computerized system, people with records that predate the system could also seek to have even decades-old convictions absolved....

States increasingly forgive low-level drug offenses

Maryland is one of 24 states, plus the District of Columbia, where adult recreational use of cannabis has been legalized. In nearly every case, momentum toward legalizing marijuana has also brought efforts to repair direct and collateral damage done by earlier drug laws.

Hundreds of thousands of marijuana-related criminal convictions have been forgiven, cleared, sealed or expunged altogether, according to NORML, the group that has long advocated to legalize marijuana nationally.

In some states, expungement is required by constitutional amendments legalizing cannabis. The action is more far-reaching than a pardon, as it removes a criminal conviction from the public record entirely.

The states take different methods to clear criminal records; those with automatic expungement processes, such as California and Illinois, have handled massive amounts of cases. But the time frame for that process can span years, depending on the date and nature of the offense....

What’s next?

...Moore pledged last year that Maryland’s new cannabis policies would encourage social equity and restorative justice as it launched a state recreational market. While pardons are part of that plan, so are economic opportunities.

“In March, we conducted our first adult use cannabis licensing round, and all 174 licenses were awarded exclusively to social equity applicants,” Moore said on Monday. “And to be clear, that's the first time that that has happened in our nation's history.”
:happy-cheerleaderkid: x 175,000. I'm proud of my former home. A pardon could have very easily applied to teen Vrede too 8-)

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Good move.

I'd like a little more detail on the comment "... Black Marylanders were three times more likely to be arrested for cannabis than white Marylanders..."
I'm sure it's true, but without some reason why that occurred, it's not very meaningful. It could be simple discrimination, profiling, or general harassment. Or it could be that they arrested mostly dealers and big users and maybe most of them were Black.lk [Opps, that wouldn't be the case - I reread the article and those pardoned are all misdemeanors] Or it could be that the Black guys were caught for something else and they tagged on the pot charge when they found some. It's also interesting that he said "arrested," and not "convicted." Wonder if that's also 3-1. And of those pardoned, is that the same 3-1 ratio he claimed for the arrests?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:19 pm
Good move.

I'd like a little more detail on the comment "... Black Marylanders were three times more likely to be arrested for cannabis than white Marylanders..."
I'm sure it's true, but without some reason why that occurred, it's not very meaningful. It could be simple discrimination, profiling, or general harassment. Or it could be that they arrested mostly dealers and big users and maybe most of them were Black.lk [Opps, that wouldn't be the case - I reread the article and those pardoned are all misdemeanors] Or it could be that the Black guys were caught for something else and they tagged on the pot charge when they found some. It's also interesting that he said "arrested," and not "convicted." Wonder if that's also 3-1.
My understanding is that the disproportionate enforcement is across the spectrum - arrest, prosecution, conviction and sentencing for Blacks and Latinos - despite pot usage being fairly equal to that of Whites.
And of those pardoned, is that the same 3-1 ratio he claimed for the arrests?
Could it be otherwise?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The marijuana shop in VA near my place is open again. Probably go and overlook their wares tomorrow.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:42 pm
The marijuana shop in VA near my place is open again. Probably go and overlook their wares tomorrow.
Yay!

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:15 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:42 pm
Yay!

:D It has a new name so I'm wondering if the whole thing is temporary....but I did see a "don't drive high" ad from the VA state police the other day that said "the marijuana laws in VA have changed" so maybe this will save me some time and phone calls.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:46 pm
:D It has a new name so I'm wondering if the whole thing is temporary....but I did see a "don't drive high" ad from the VA state police the other day that said "the marijuana laws in VA have changed" so maybe this will save me some time and phone calls.
Let us know, please.

Community college alum and self-proclaimed epidemiologist Rep Chuck Edwards (R-NC11) owns several local McDonald's franchises :roll:

Just Say No . . . to Big Macs!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I figure to visit the place today. Hell, I may even ask if they need any part time help.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

neo report from hard by the Virginia line. Went to the newly opened pot shop a while ago. Different people running it. Different setup. You just pick from one of five grades (you can visually see each one in small display boxes at the counter). So I got 3.5gm of the best grade (neo hates average anything) for 50. Alex. It's as good as any I've ever had in 55 years except maybe for that stuff from Thailand that we'd get now and then in that area.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:47 am
neo report from hard by the Virginia line. Went to the newly opened pot shop a while ago. Different people running it. Different setup. You just pick from one of five grades (you can visually see each one in small display boxes at the counter). So I got 3.5gm of the best grade (neo hates average anything) for 50. Alex. It's as good as any I've ever had in 55 years except maybe for that stuff from Thailand that we'd get now and then in that area.
Cool. No mention of a VA med card? That's $400/oz, steep.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:49 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:47 am
Nope, just asked me for "an ID" and I gave them my old military ID, which is what I use here to vote. They didn't take a picture of it or even write down my name, just checked to make sure I was over 21. They told me next time I get a 5% discount. I can hardly wait until I've reached my twenty firrst time, whciih logically would mean I get it free. It is expensive but no more so than the black market (except for my old buddy in Asheville who'd give me half price).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:59 am
Vrede too wrote:
Nope, just asked me for "an ID" and I gave them my old military ID, which is what I use here to vote. They didn't take a picture of it or even write down my name, just checked to make sure I was over 21. They told me next time I get a 5% discount. I can hardly wait until I've reached my twenty first time, which logically would mean I get it free. It is expensive but no more so than the black market (except for my old buddy in Asheville who'd give me half price).
Cool :thumbup: 8-) Only a stoner would figure that the 5% discount is cumulative :P
Great Smoky Cannabis Dispensary opens for all adults over 21

... . As of today, any adult 21 or older can now legally purchase marijuana within the Qualla Boundary, although marijuana remains illegal in the rest of the state.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
https://dutchie.com/stores/great-smoky-cannabis-company

All Flower
Looks like $320-$400/oz

All Edibles

Other products are available. There's online ordering for pickup, but I'd rather peruse in the store and keep my personal info offline.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:53 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:59 am
Vrede too wrote:
Nope, just asked me for "an ID" and I gave them my old military ID, which is what I use here to vote. They didn't take a picture of it or even write down my name, just checked to make sure I was over 21. They told me next time I get a 5% discount. I can hardly wait until I've reached my twenty first time, which logically would mean I get it free. It is expensive but no more so than the black market (except for my old buddy in Asheville who'd give me half price).
Cool :thumbup: 8-) Only a stoner would figure that the 5% discount is cumulative :P
Great Smoky Cannabis Dispensary opens for all adults over 21

... . As of today, any adult 21 or older can now legally purchase marijuana within the Qualla Boundary, although marijuana remains illegal in the rest of the state.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
https://dutchie.com/stores/great-smoky-cannabis-company

All Flower
Looks like $320-$400/oz

All Edibles

Other products are available. There's online ordering for pickup, but I'd rather peruse in the store and keep my personal info offline.
:lol: Yep, when they forst told me about the discount, I immediately thought about it being a cumulative discount. And actually, when I went there a couple weeks ago they say my discount is 10% so I've got that going for me, too. I don't know if I rate a double discount or if I was told wrong the last time.

Cool. Let us know what the place in Indian country is like.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:19 pm
Why do you think they call it dope? Oceanside men ran out of gas :angry-banghead:

Small plane carrying drugs makes emergency landing on SR-76 in Oceanside | NBC 7 San Diego

One is a flying instructor :lol: