Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Boatrocker wrote: Firemen responding to a fire do not spray more fire on the already-burning combustibles.
I'll bet they wouldn't let the Oath people stand around and toss gas on it, either.
Their being there is the gas. They should all be arrested,

but then they weren't even arrested as the bundy site for committing very real crimes
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So suppose it had been black guys dressed all in camo and carrying the Bushwhackers. Wonder who might have been arrested?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Exclusion of Blacks From Juries Raises Renewed Scrutiny

... In Louisiana’s Caddo Parish, where Shreveport is the parish seat, a study to be released Monday has found that prosecutors used peremptory challenges three times as often to strike black potential jurors as others during the last decade.

That is consistent with patterns researchers found earlier in Alabama, Louisiana and North Carolina, where prosecutors struck black jurors at double or triple the rates of others.

In Georgia, prosecutors excluded every black prospective juror in a death penalty case against a black defendant, which the Supreme Court has agreed to review this fall.

“If you repeatedly see all-white juries convict African-Americans, what does that do to public confidence in the criminal justice system?” asked Elisabeth A. Semel, the director of the death penalty clinic at the law school at the University of California, Berkeley....

“Next to voting,” she said, “participating in a jury is perhaps the most important civil right.”

... Still, prosecutors here used peremptory strikes against 46 percent of the black potential jurors who remained, and against 15 percent of others. In 93 percent of trials, prosecutors struck a higher percentage of blacks than of others....

In a five-year period ending in 2010, according to a lawsuit, prosecutors in Houston and Henry Counties in Alabama used peremptory strikes to remove 82 percent of eligible black potential jurors from trials in which the death penalty was imposed....

In 2012, a state trial judge in North Carolina found that prosecutors in his state had created a “cheat sheet” of race-neutral reasons to offer when challenged. Among the choices were “air of defiance,” “arms folded” and monosyllabic responses.

The judge, Gregory A. Weeks of Cumberland County Superior Court in Fayetteville, endorsed a study by law professors at Michigan State University examining the trials of the state’s death row inmates in 2010. It found that prosecutors had struck 53 percent of black potential jurors and 26 percent of others.

“The probability of this disparity occurring in a race-neutral jury selection process is less than one in 10 trillion,” Judge Weeks wrote....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Prison for man who helped place noose on civil rights statue

... six months in prison beginning Jan. 4, followed by 12 months' supervised release....
I'd say that I'm pretty anti-racist, but this seems like an overly harsh sentence to me. No hate crimes or frats, but I did some pretty stupid stuff as a drunk (or whatever) college student.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Prison for man who helped place noose on civil rights statue

... six months in prison beginning Jan. 4, followed by 12 months' supervised release....
I'd say that I'm pretty anti-racist, but this seems like an overly harsh sentence to me. No hate crimes or frats, but I did some pretty stupid stuff as a drunk (or whatever) college student.
I'd agree that this guy probably shouldn't take up jail space, and that some other penalty would be better. Maybe doing six months community service in a homeless shelter. Or six months trying to stay alive in Camden. However, I'm surprised that since the sentence obviously reflects his intent to "intimidate" or convey a message, that he hasn't claimed a freedom of speech defense. Not that it would work, but still...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yeah, I don't see 6 months in prison making him kinder towards blacks, while your suggestions at least might.
O Really wrote:... However, I'm surprised that since the sentence obviously reflects his intent to "intimidate" or convey a message, that he hasn't claimed a freedom of speech defense....
He may have, I don't know. A guess is that the judge would say there is no freedom of speech to vandalize while in effect saying, 'I'm gonna lynch you'.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't think anybody is going to make him think better of black people, and this experience - including jail - may very well further solidify his hatred. But the behavior can't be ignored or forgiven with a "boys will be boys."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Agreed, I'm just leery of the punishment option that is least likely to reform him.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, let's see. You take him out of school, boot his frat out, give him a record that will affect him getting a job, and toss him in the clink with a bunch of black guys who know what he's in there for, and the only help he gets is from the Aryan Bros. What could possibly go wrong?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The judge: Born in SC, Ole Miss and UVA grad, GOP MS state rep., appointed to the federal bench by Shrub.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Racial slurs are woven deep into the American landscape

The United States is literally covered in racial slurs from Dead Negro Hollow, Tennessee, to Wetback Tank, New Mexico, to Dead Injun Creek, Oregon. At least 1,441 federally recognized places across the nation include slurs in their official name, a Vocativ data analysis of millions of records reveals....
Sigh.

I lived in a town where "Squaw" was part of a nearby place name. It's name was changed without local objection to a non-offensive one over a decade ago.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Racial slurs are woven deep into the American landscape

The United States is literally covered in racial slurs from Dead Negro Hollow, Tennessee, to Wetback Tank, New Mexico, to Dead Injun Creek, Oregon. At least 1,441 federally recognized places across the nation include slurs in their official name, a Vocativ data analysis of millions of records reveals....
Sigh.

I lived in a town where "Squaw" was part of a nearby place name. It's name was changed without local objection to a non-offensive one over a decade ago.
That would not be Squaw Valley, since it kept its name even after merging with Alpine Meadows.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

No, it isn't. The offensive name has been removed from many places, but not yet from others. I imagine it's more difficult where so much has been invested in branding.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Next time someone tells you "all lives matter," show them this cartoon

One of the most common responses to "Black Lives Matter" is "all lives matter." But that response misses the point, as this great cartoon from Kris Straub at Chainsawsuit demonstrates:

The point of Black Lives Matter isn't to suggest that black lives should be or are more important than all other lives, but instead that black people's lives are relatively undervalued in the US (and more likely to be ended by police), and the country needs to recognize that inequity to bring an end to it....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Spam I just got:
Subject: Decolonization
Date: Thu, January 7, 2016 10:38 pm

What does it mean to "decolonize" yourself?

That means killing the white man that lives inside your head.

So get busy: there's a lot of work to do. We are running out of time.

Be Seeing You,

Number Six
No links, no attachments, no request for a reply. :-0?>
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Man yells racial slur at judge, then ...

Stupid and then cowardly, like all racists.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

While 'affluenza' teen went free, similar case led to prison

America:
Brown - Prison
White - Rehab for an imaginary affliction
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.