The future of tech, and people

rstrong
Captain

Re: The future of tech, and people

Unread post by rstrong »

So now I'm an oldtimer, for possessing the lost ancient knowledge of how to author a DVD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I was an oldtimer at work the other day. A young P.A. had never heard of, heard of, MASH. :(
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The Register: TV anchor says live on-air 'Alexa, order me a dollhouse' – guess what happens next
According to her parents' Amazon account, their daughter said: "Can you play dollhouse with me and get me a dollhouse?" Next thing they knew, a $160 KidKraft Sparkle Mansion dollhouse and four pounds of sugar cookies arrived on their doorstep.

During that story's segment, a CW-6 news presenter remarked: "I love the little girl, saying 'Alexa ordered me a dollhouse'."

That, apparently, was enough to set off Alexa-powered Echo boxes around San Diego on their own shopping sprees.
:lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The possibilities are endless for TV comics, radio DJs and even infomercial shills. Are the ads I've seen for these devices having the same effect?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Apple joins group devoted to keeping AI nice

A technology industry alliance devoted to making sure smart machines don't turn against humanity said Friday that Apple has signed on and will have a seat on the board....
The 2016 elections don't speak well for our ability to keep things nice.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hackers Hold Entire Hotel for Ransom, Trap Guests in Rooms

... After the hackers were paid, the system went back to working as it was supposed to. But Brandstaetter says the hotel is planning on replacing the hotel’s door locks with old-fashioned ones with real keys.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Uber Customers Keep Getting Into Random People's Cars

Incidentally, the hotel story was very exaggerated. No-one was locked in or out of their rooms. The PC that issued key cards was hit by ransomware, so they couldn't issue new key cards to new customers. Management was still able to open doors the old fashioned way.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Weird that my link was so wrong. It was very specific about things you say never happened.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The story seemed highly improbable, so The Verge looked into it and interviewed the hotel manager. And added some context:
Although it was a report by The Local that was quoted by many English-language publications, the story seems to have originated with copy from a news agency called Central European News. The Local’s source for the story was CEN, which described in its own coverage (published January 27th) how “cyber blackmailers [...] locked scores of guests in their rooms.”

To give some context on this publication you’ve probably never heard of, CEN has previously been described as “The King of Bullsh*t News” by BuzzFeed, which detailed how the agency’s exaggerated stories get picked up and republished by more reputable newspapers and websites. (For the record, CEN is currently suing BuzzFeed for defamation in a case worth $11 million.)

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

In 80 years or so, Facebook and Twitter will be a hub for the thoughts of the dead.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Barack Obama is organising a coup against Donald Trump, claims Google Home robot

... And here's what happens if you ask Google Home "is Obama planning a coup?"

... "According to details exposed in Western Center for Journalism's exclusive video, not only could Obama be in bed with the communist Chinese, but Obama may be in fact be planning a communist coup d'état at the end of his term in 2016!" anyone trying to find out whether or not Mr Obama is planning a coup will be told....
Also, Republicans are Nazis and women are better than men.

Nttawwt.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

... "According to details exposed in Western Center for Journalism's...
Also known as WorldNetDaily.

They made constant similar claims about Bush II planning to cancel elections. They'll make the same claims about ANY President. Just do a global search & replace on the names in the article and re-publish. You can count on them to make the same claims about Trump or Pence.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA on page 1 wrote:
Vrede wrote:Of course there are advantages and I know that there's no slowing down or going back. However, I still worry that my niece and nephew will never learn how to read a map or navigate in the woods based on non-electronic clues. Their first and usually only resort is, "What does the GPS say?" It was like pulling teeth in Barcelona to pry the niece and her friend away from their devices to go outside and do anything.
Yeah I know what you mean. There have been a few times when we've gone out with some people they'll be looking at their phones the whole damn time texting or whatever. I always have to tell people to get off their computers.

I also don't like being connected 24/7. Not only do some people at work expect you to be connected to email, but we have an instant messenger program at work we use that you can now install on your smart phone so people can instant message you too! Hell no. I still refuse out of principle to setup my work email on my phone. If I feel I need to check it I'll log in and check it manually. I don't want my phone buzzing every time I receive an email, whether it's directed to me or not. Same when I go on vacation.

But back to the topic of technology... navigating the woods without GPS (technology) isn't a skill that's necessarily important nowadays many would argue, but what makes something like that important? In my opinion, understanding things without the aid of technology is still important because it helps you understand of the world outside of the veil of technology. I mean yeah, you can also break the world down into small, quantifiable, component parts, and gain better scientific knowledge of the world that way through means of technology, but that's different. For me, as a person here and now, in this woods, at this particular time of the year, knowing this tree or that rock is composed of atoms and what not is not relevant to the here and now of how I experience something as-is. When you view the world only through the veil of technology, you risk seeing the world and everything in it only as a means to an end (a woods isn't a woods, it's a source of lumber. Getting lost in the woods isn't an adventure, it's a hindrance to you getting home and watching TV or playing on your phone).

It's kind of hard to explain, but something-something philosophy something-something art I guess.

:crazy:
Morgan Freeman Shows GPS Generation How to Use a Map in 'Going In Style' Promo Clip
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sometimes GPS lies... http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-survived ... d=46316018

I use and depend on GPS all the time, but I have had a couple of inconveniences. Garmin led us to the park at Harper's Ferry. We could see it. It was right across the river. Which had a bridge several miles away.

And the first time we went to Oconee State Park in SC, Garmin wanted us to turn on to what was less than a forest service road, and told us the park was 7 miles away. It was, but the road isn't open to private vehicles.

And a few times when the roads have been changed since the unit was upgraded, Garmin would think I was off track and kept trying to tell me to turn around, or turn right, or whatever.

And Google is generally better than Garmin, particularly when combined with traffic reports, Waze, etc. I love tech, but you do still have to think.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... I use and depend on GPS all the time, but I have had a couple of inconveniences. Garmin led us to the park at Harper's Ferry. We could see it. It was right across the river. Which had a bridge several miles away....
It helps if you know what state you're supposed to be in. :P
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

You know that button in the elevator with the fireman’s hat on it? It turns out that is not the button you push if you want a fireman’s hat.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:I was an oldtimer at work the other day. A young P.A. had never heard of, heard of, MASH. :(
Kills me when they don't even know Star Wars existed before the prequels. What a horrible way to live life thinking that the prequels were what everyone hyped up.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

rstrong wrote:You know that button in the elevator with the fireman’s hat on it? It turns out that is not the button you push if you want a fireman’s hat.
Ok, but which button does give you the fireman hat?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Turns out an At Home DNA Test is not a good baby shower gift.