Syria/Iraq

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Syria/Iraq

Unread post by neoplacebo »

JTA wrote:The 1950's? History only moves in four year increments. With each president history starts anew.

Or that's at least what I've gathered from following the news and public opinion.
That's a common myth.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Mr.B and Wneglia are close to the same age, which isn't that old. neoplacebo and I think O Really are slightly younger and I'm just slightly younger than them. I think banni is a little younger than me, but I might be way wrong on that in either direction. Ask me about the Spanish-American War.
Despite acting immature as hell on this forum (gotta lighten the mood sometimes, right?), I'm not that young.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Acting immature; on this forum, in public, with friends at work or anywhere else helps keep you young and hopefully not arrested. Be careful.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:
JTA wrote:Despite acting immature as hell on this forum (gotta lighten the mood sometimes, right?), I'm not that young.
I had guessed 30-35 based on specifics you've revealed, not on maturity level or any other inference. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mr.B and I are less mature. :D
Close, I'm pushing 30. I had you pegged at late 40's, Mr. B mid to late 60's?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I will be 112 years old in December this year.....one of the reasons it pisses me off about the mess we've made over there. It used to be better.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

neoplacebo wrote:I will be 112 years old in December this year.....one of the reasons it pisses me off about the mess we've made over there. It used to be better.
I don't know man, if you're 112 then that means when you were a kid you probably had to use AOL for the internet.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
Vrede wrote:
JTA wrote:I feel like our nations foreign policy lately has been "Let's try some random shit and see if it works."...
"lately"?

You should save that post for when you're the age most of us are discussing the same shit with people that are your age now. ;)
Hah yeah true. Not sure the age of most of you, I know Mr. B is an older guy, so he probably remembers a lot from back in the day so I gotta ask to get some valuable insight.

Mr. B - was foreign policy as seemingly lackadaisical during the civil war as it is today?
No, with Mr. B you have to ask how was the politics during the Roman empire. :mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede wrote:
Again, I don't know what we should do and I'm glad I'm not deciding, but the fact that we're being so lied to, again, and that always bloodthirsty Americans are swallowing it whole, again, is starting to make me oppose any military intervention at all. Maybe we should stick to humanitarian and nonlethal aid and let the locals decide on the killing part.
I'd agree. It sucks, but we're just repeating a cycle.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Again, I don't know what we should do and I'm glad I'm not deciding, but the fact that we're being so lied to, again, and that always bloodthirsty Americans are swallowing it whole, again, is starting to make me oppose any military intervention at all. Maybe we should stick to humanitarian and nonlethal aid and let the locals decide on the killing part.
I'm glad I'm not deciding either, and I actually feel sorry for Obama, as the loyalties in Syria and Iraq change on a daily basis. Link

:mrgreen:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

I don't believe for one minute that ISIS is operating under the banner of Islam. They are nothing more than fanatical, bloodthirsty, evil idealists looking to rule over everyone's lives under the guise of Islamic Sharia Law. They enslave women and children and sell them as sex slaves, and kill anyone that disagree with them.

Foreigners such as Americans, Brits, French, et al that join them in their so-called Jihad (holy war) are nothing more than evil, bloodthirsty people themselves looking to fulfill their own fantasies of killing people for sport. I honestly believe that those who play violent video games are the at the head of the line looking to join ISIS in order to have their real-life fantasies realized.

ISIS is either going to win their cause or lose; therefore I can't help but wonder what will happen to these mis-guided souls once the battle is over....being of the races that ISIS is determined to destroy, you think maybe they'll be herded like those soldiers and taken out and cut down in a hail of bullets? I believe they will.

My prayer is that President Obama will garner the support necessary (and needed) to wipe this evil from the face of the earth. There will always be factions who want to dominate all of mankind, and I believe we, as a world community, should use all our resources to prevent such from happening.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I never have played violent video games, and urge others not to do so. By the way, there's a movie theatre on Haywood Road in Asheville that I pass on the way to work; it's painted a dark gray and its name is ISIS. :shifty:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "....maybe we should also pray that President Obama will garner the support necessary (and needed) to wipe some Christian churches from the face of the Earth, too."
You should join ISIS; that's one of their goals; you might even get home with your head intact..... Otherwise, how do you propose that be accomplished?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

You said it, I was just asking......back pedal much?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"No, I didn't say what you quoted any more than you posted:"
Mr.B wrote:"Americans, Brits, French, et al...are nothing more than evil, bloodthirsty people themselves looking to fulfill their own fantasies of killing people for sport."

"Lie much? You sure ask dumb questions when running away from having quoted dishonestly in order to (still) run away from the point."
So...where's the question(s) in the above quote of me that you posted? You didn't even complete my quote...... Confused much?

You really have the knack of turning any thread into a pissing contest between you and whoever you happen to disagree with. You're definitely not a 'people' person. You have no decent communicating skills; you prefer to be argumentative and condescending in an attempt to prove that regardless of the subject, you are superior and others are obsessed with you.

When you reply to this post, in all probability, you'll say something like I'm whining or obsessing about you...that's your persona and hateful nature.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: ".....as always, blames me for the debate deterioration he chose. What a crybaby!"

Awwwwwww......gee. :crybaby: You're right...I'm gonna cry..

(ain't this fun?!)

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Part of the problem here is that most laws addressing "war" generally envision an armed combat with another real country. ISIS/ISIL is not. They're basically international criminals. Maybe a better historical comparison would be Jefferson's response to the Barbary pirates. Congress never issued an official declaration of war in response to the pirates' shenanigans, but Jefferson dispatched a naval squadron to the coast of North Africa to deal with them, eventually giving the Marines something to sing about.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I still think Bush and Cheney and a handful ot acolytes should be put on trial for their fiasco that has no apparent end. Dumbasses. If Turkey considers itself to be under attack, we will be obliged to come to the rescue since they're a member of NATO. I wonder if Dickhead Cheney considers this and if he's proud.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

From Gulf War I:

General Thomas Kelly at a Pentagon briefing last Friday on the report that Sadaam Hussein had executed the heads of the Iraqi Air Force and Air Defenses said he didn't know if it was true but added:

"He does have a rather dynamic zero-defects program."

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote:
Ian Millhiser
@imillhiser

BREAKING: Brian Williams becomes first person in human history to suffer professional consequences for lying about the Iraq War.
:lol: :cry: :cussing:
And likely the last.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I think I have a solution to all the problems in that area of the world. Let's put Lindsay Graham in charge of Iraq, John McCain in charge of Syria, and Mike Huckabee in charge of Yemen. It's clear to me that none of those guys would put up with the shit that's going on now in those places. We could also put Darrell Issa in an advisory position in Somalia so he could root out scandals and nip them in the bud.