Big Brother is Watching You

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Big Brother is Watching You

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:35 pm
No doubt identify theft occurs, and no doubt some have been harmed by some malicious disclosure of their medical information. No doubt technology has been and can be used for nefarious reasons. But fear of all those things is, IMNVHO, greatly exaggerated along with and in the same way everything has become fear-driven especially since 9/11/2001. The fear-mongering industry is thriving and being successful probably beyond any expectation. You absolutely can't get through any local news show without them saying - at least once - "we'll tell you how to protect your family." Articles now no longer tell you "how your kid can have fun at summer camp," but instead tell you "things to beware of if you send your kid to camp." Want to know the most popular toys to buy for Christmas? Nope, but you can find easily the "most dangerous." "Worst Foods to Eat", "Most Dangerous Airlines," "Cities to Avoid" yada. I think it's likely that fear will overtake old age, cancer and heart disease as the leading cause of death.
Well put.

It's in our nature to want to avoid things that harmful to us. Now that everything is a Google search away, we can search our fears and find endless articles and anectdotes to prove the conclusion we've already reached in our minds. A person is more likely to complain about a negative experience than boast about positive one, so our findings become skewed.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Fun article here for anyone with paranoid tendencies...

"I documented every surveillance camera on my way to work in New York City, and it revealed a dystopian reality"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/documented-e ... 00944.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am
Fun article here for anyone with paranoid tendencies...

"I documented every surveillance camera on my way to work in New York City, and it revealed a dystopian reality"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/documented-e ... 00944.html
The reporter never gives us a total, hmmm. He may have missed a bunch, too. These days, nanny cams, etc. are easily hidden.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, I wondered what the total was he saw. And he did undoubtedly miss some - maybe a lot, since he was generally just being a bit observant while on his normal way to work. One wonders if it would be helpful to try to get the word out to potential evil-doers that it's really hard to avoid detection.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:15 pm
Yeah, I wondered what the total was he saw. And he did undoubtedly miss some - maybe a lot, since he was generally just being a bit observant while on his normal way to work. One wonders if it would be helpful to try to get the word out to potential evil-doers that it's really hard to avoid detection.
Non-evil lawbreakers (drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc.) and dissidents, too.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I don't know this but I suspect those little laser pointers that blind plane pilots can also blind surveillance cameras, especially those dinky ones in doorbells. I do know that just closing your eyes so that you yourself cannot see the camera does not mean the camera cannot see you. ok

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:46 pm
I don't know this but I suspect those little laser pointers that blind plane pilots can also blind surveillance cameras, especially those dinky ones in doorbells. I do know that just closing your eyes so that you yourself cannot see the camera does not mean the camera cannot see you. ok
Yes and no. Not necessarily the best, just the first two when I searched,
"can laser pointers blind surveillance cameras?":

How to Blind a Surveillance Camera

Will a Laser Pointer Damage a Security Camera?

I also found:

How to Find Hidden Cameras

Somewhat different topic:

Still Spying on Dissent: The Enduring Problem of FBI First Amendment Abuse

The FBI Spends a Lot of Time Spying on Black Americans

“Critics say that this designation conveniently obscures the fact that black supremacist violence, unlike white supremacist violence, does not actually exist.”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to Congress reads:

"The Consumer Online Privacy Rights Act is a very important step toward comprehensive consumer privacy protections. COPRA will protect us from corporations that value profit over our privacy. Support COPRA now."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Will mass surveillance be used to abuse Americans? Anyone even vaguely familiar with the FBI's history knows the answer to that question.
A Declassified Court Ruling Shows How the FBI Abused NSA Mass Surveillance Data

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court found that the FBI may have violated the rights of potentially millions of Americans — including its own agents and informants — by improperly searching through information obtained by the National Security Agency’s mass surveillance program.

U.S. District Court Judge James E. Boasberg, who serves in the District of Columbia and the FISA court, made his sweeping and condemnatory assessment in October 2018 in a 138-page ruling, which was declassified by the U.S. government this week.

To longtime critics of the government’s mass surveillance program, the FBI’s abuses are confirmation that federal law enforcement agents are combing through the communications of Americans without warrants, in violation of Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches and seizures.

“These opinions reveal devastating problems with the FBI’s backdoor searches, which often resembled fishing expeditions through Americans’ personal emails and online messages,” said Patrick Toomey, a staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Security Project. “But the court did not go nearly far enough to fix those abuses. The Constitution requires FBI agents to get a warrant before they go combing through our sensitive communications.”

The ruling concerns the FBI’s ability to access communications obtained through the NSA’s mass surveillance program, the existence of which was revealed in documents provided by whistleblower Edward Snowden. Critics of Snowden’s decision to leak classified NSA documents noted at the time that safeguards existed to prevent Americans’ communications from being searched improperly. The declassified FISA court ruling, however, shows that few safeguards existed at all....
Edward Snowden proved correct and patriotic, again.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

On a daily basis I laugh my ass off about how people buy refrigerators and televisions and heat pumps and other things that they mindlessly take home and plug into the internet and how they consider themselves to be savvy and tech bright. One day probably not too far in the future, those folks that bought all that shit will wish they'd bought generators and gasoline instead. At least this is what my friend the Iranian general tells me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Your Doorbell Camera Spied on You. Now What?

Your door is a snitch.
WE WANT SAFETY FROM SURVEILLANCE-- STOP LAW ENFORCEMENT'S COOPERATION WITH RING

Day by day, Amazon is extending its reach into everyday people’s lives through new technologies marketed as helpful and harmless. That cannot be farther from the truth. We are on the brink of a mass surveillance crisis and Amazon is ushering in this dangerous new era via Ring.

Ring, owned by Amazon, is a doorbell camera that allows users to monitor activity happening outside of the home and, many times, inside as well. Amazon not only has access to this footage, they own the content in perpetuity. But it gets worse-- Amazon makes insidious deals with local law enforcement agencies, rapidly targeting cities and writing marketing scripts for police officers to convince residents to buy Ring, often at a discounted rate or even for free.

Innovative technologies should not be used to increase policing at the expense of our privacy and freedom. Sign the petition to tell your mayor to put an end to shady partnerships between law enforcement and Ring.
Tell Congress: Pass the Wyden/Daines Patriot Act reform bill!

Petition to Congress:
We need to curb Trump’s ability to spy on Americans without a warrant. That’s why you must vote YES for the bipartisan and bicameral Safeguarding Americans’ Private Records Act. This bill would put an end to the controversial Call Detail Records program in Section 215 of the Patriot Act, prohibit location tracking, and provide more transparency and oversight.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:22 pm
Your Doorbell Camera Spied on You. Now What?

Your door is a snitch.
WE WANT SAFETY FROM SURVEILLANCE-- STOP LAW ENFORCEMENT'S COOPERATION WITH RING

Day by day, Amazon is extending its reach into everyday people’s lives through new technologies marketed as helpful and harmless. That cannot be farther from the truth. We are on the brink of a mass surveillance crisis and Amazon is ushering in this dangerous new era via Ring.

Ring, owned by Amazon, is a doorbell camera that allows users to monitor activity happening outside of the home and, many times, inside as well. Amazon not only has access to this footage, they own the content in perpetuity. But it gets worse-- Amazon makes insidious deals with local law enforcement agencies, rapidly targeting cities and writing marketing scripts for police officers to convince residents to buy Ring, often at a discounted rate or even for free.

Innovative technologies should not be used to increase policing at the expense of our privacy and freedom. Sign the petition to tell your mayor to put an end to shady partnerships between law enforcement and Ring.
Tell Congress: Pass the Wyden/Daines Patriot Act reform bill!

Petition to Congress:
We need to curb Trump’s ability to spy on Americans without a warrant. That’s why you must vote YES for the bipartisan and bicameral Safeguarding Americans’ Private Records Act. This bill would put an end to the controversial Call Detail Records program in Section 215 of the Patriot Act, prohibit location tracking, and provide more transparency and oversight.
Ah, yes, one more gizmo I will never have. If one wants to video their front porch one can install a CCTV camera out of reach and hook it to a DVR and record hours and days of porch video. A guy I used to buy medicine from in Asheville had this type of setup except he didn't record; just had a small monitor he could see the porch on. No one can spy on you if you have a stand alone system. Besides, we are all stand alone systems in our very existence. It's how things are meant to be.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:56 am
Ah, yes, one more gizmo I will never have. If one wants to video their front porch one can install a CCTV camera out of reach and hook it to a DVR and record hours and days of porch video. A guy I used to buy medicine from in Asheville had this type of setup except he didn't record; just had a small monitor he could see the porch on. No one can spy on you if you have a stand alone system. Besides, we are all stand alone systems in our very existence. It's how things are meant to be.
People like watching their door and nanny cams on their phones, but they may be the ones being watched.

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It
A little-known start-up helps law enforcement match photos of unknown people to their online images — and “might lead to a dystopian future or something,” a backer says.

Your social media is a snitch.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:57 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:56 am
People like watching their door and nanny cams on their phones, but they may be the ones being watched.

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It
A little-known start-up helps law enforcement match photos of unknown people to their online images — and “might lead to a dystopian future or something,” a backer says.

Your social media is a snitch.
Too bad for them. I described how to avoid this......a CCTV system cannot be hacked unless you physically splice into the cable hooked to the camera. It can't be done long distance or through the internet. Besides, these modern computer wizards are likely not very accomplished at doing things with their hands other than typing on keyboards.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:57 am

Possible, but not likely for most people. And, if you don't use the cams directed toward anything other than toward your outside door area, porch and yard, it would be pretty dull and mostly worthless watching. I suppose it could serve as an additional way for a potential thief to know the pattern of your comings and goings, or see which kid sneaks into the house late, or other incidentals of your life, but not a lot very personal or useful for nefariousness. Conversely, if all you have is cams with a monitor inside the house, you don't have squat any time you're not home. You'd be better off with a dog. Or maybe even one of the motion-detecting dog barkers.

O Really
Admiral

Life is less stressful if you just expect to be on camera whenever you're in public, and that everything you say or post could possibly be public. Not that different from being a kid in a neighbourhood or smallish town back in the day where somebody would see whatever you did and tell your mum.

Limier than most
Red Shirt

Unread post by Limier than most »

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:41 pm
Life is less stressful if you just expect to be on camera whenever you're in public, and that everything you say or post could possibly be public. Not that different from being a kid in a neighbourhood or smallish town back in the day where somebody would see whatever you did and tell your mum.
Indeed.

Ethically, there's no difference between a policeman standing on a corner looking at people, and a face recognition system telling police who was at a given location.