Kamala, an Oakland girl

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Kamala, an Oakland girl

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:56 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:09 am
Damn right.....in MAGA land, no one is above the LAW (Lying And Whining). My current favorite LAW is J.D. Vance saying "the left" needs to "tone down the rhetoric" in an effort to connect trump's two assassins' actions to things Democrats say, as if quoting trump's own words is somehow to blame for the attempts on his life. Hilarious.
:thumbup: Just Deranged needs to have his ass kicked by someone like:

Sam Elliott's Cussing In Folksy Campaign Ad May Make You Giddyup To Vote For Harris
The Western actor's gravel-and-honey voice reminds voters what's at stake on the range and elsewhere.

:thumbup: Yeah, I saw Sam's ad yesterday.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:40 pm
Well I think I know why some of the fence-sitters are saying they "want to know more specifics" about Harris' policies. They've all gotten used to people making sweeping "promises" without regard as to whether they have any chance of actually doing it. Trump is maybe worst. He'll get up in front of a crowd and make up "day one" stuff based on whatever the crowd might like to hear. "You guys vape? We'll give vapes out free." "And we won't tax overtime or tips and everybody gets a tax cut." Yada

On a local level, we've got a guy running for Mike Levin's seat who:
Doesn't really say he's a repug
Claims to be "pro-choice" despite having high ratings from the anti-abortion groups
Says he "has a plan" to reduce inflation, but doesn't tell us what it involves
Says he'll "secure the border" (all by himself, I guess), and
Says "California taxes are too high" (nevermind that the congresscritter job he's after has nothing whatsoever to do with California taxes

And we've got a woman running for state legislature who:
Promises to "Stop Newsom's gas tax" (Ok, so, um there are how many are in the state Assembly? 80? and how many of those are repugs? 17 on a good day? Exactly how to you plan to "stop" anything?)

We've got another who promises to "make housing affordable" and "solve the homeless problem"

So yeah, if Kamala wants to satisfy those people she's gonna have to go for Big Rock Candy Mountain
You've got me thinking I may resurrect my own campaign in which I run as "Nobody" so that I can honestly proclaim "Nobody will fix everything" and "Nobody will be your protector" and "Nobody will lower your taxes" and I may even throw in "Nobody knows the trouble you've seen."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:47 am
You've got me thinking I may resurrect my own campaign in which I run as "Nobody" so that I can honestly proclaim "Nobody will fix everything" and "Nobody will be your protector" and "Nobody will lower your taxes" and I may even throw in "Nobody knows the trouble you've seen."
Nobody can beat Trump
:shock: :think:

The Under-The-Table Ideological Battle That Would Follow A Kamala Harris Win
Progressives and moderates are gearing up for a rumble match over staffing — but neither side feels it's in a strong position.

GoKamalaGo!
GoProgressivesGo!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Harris has been called 'soft' and 'tough' on crime. What does her record show?

Interesting. I'm still annoyed that I'm supporting a prosecutor, but less so than I was.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

What's wrong with prosecutors? In general, not just pointing out a scumbag or two.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:16 pm
What's wrong with prosecutors? In general, not just pointing out a scumbag or two.
Along with the good they do it's their job to pursue the drug war that had been so destructive for Americans. Plus, too many of them turn a blind eye to, excuse or protect corrupt, abusive or murdering cops.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:56 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:16 pm
Along with the good they do it's their job to pursue the drug war that had been so destructive for Americans. Plus, too many of them turn a blind eye to, excuse or protect corrupt, abusive or murdering cops.
I'm sure some do turn the blind eye, but that's not the main reason so many cops get away with what they do. First, you've got the "officers bill of rights" that, among other things, protects them against prosecution for most anything they do in the line of duty. Then you've got the difficulty of proving that whatever they did was intentional, malicious, negligent, etc. And then you'd usually have to prove that whatever they did was not part of a standard or trained procedure. Given that a prosecutor's job isn't just to bring charges but to win convictions, they start in a big hole with any cop shenanigans. Add in juries going to some extreme on the "innocent til proven guilty" idea getting a conviction is exceptionally tough and while you're trying, you're losing a lot of support from the rest of the cop house - people who you have to work with every day. Lotta down sides, not much up.