Cawthorn

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Cawthorn

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 pm
Rep. Cawthorn seeks new 13th Congressional District seat

U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn (NC-11) announced Thursday night he will run for the newly-drawn 13th Congressional District in North Carolina.

The district includes a substantial portion of his current district in Western North Carolina....

“Our state is growing and changing rapidly. We now have a brand-new congressional district, and as it stands, the new lines have split my constituents. My house is almost directly on the line of separation for the 13th and the 14th Congressional districts, and now half of the counties in the new district are counties I currently represent. My people are split, and I am forced to make a very difficult decision. Ultimately, I have to answer this question: what choice would enable me to make the greatest impact on the affairs of our state and our nation, so that our children and grandchildren can inherit the best version of America we can possibly give them? After consulting my family, my constituents, and with prayerful consideration, the answer is clear. I will be running for congress in the 13th congressional district,” U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn said.
:bs: The only thing he considered is which district gives him the best chance of winning. Fitting that he'll try to rep unlucky #13.
New WNC congressional district may give Democrats a chance in a strongly Republican area

New lines for Western North Carolina's congressional district will shift it from a reliable Republican win to one that gives a chance to Democrats, experts and candidates say.

The district — for decades the 11th, but now called the 14th — will cover 15 western counties including Buncombe, Henderson, Madison and Transylvania. New to the district is Watauga, a Democratic county home to the town of Boone and Appalachian State University.

Unlike the current 11th, the 14th excludes conservative counties of McDowell, Polk and Rutherford. The new district also does not include a piece carved out of Watauga around the home of Rep. Virginia Foxx that puts her in the new 11th District and prevents her from being "double-bunked" with fellow GOP Rep. Madison Cawthorn of Henderson.
He's choosing 13, anyhow. She could have been an incumbent in 14. Now, it's an open seat.
... Jasmine Beach-Ferrara, an Asheville liberal and one of a dozen candidates running for the district, said the new district decidedly increases Democrats' chances.

"Under the new maps, the WNC district represented by Madison Cawthorn has become much more Democratic and is now one of the few truly competitive congressional districts in N.C.," said Beach-Ferrara, an elected Buncombe County commissioner, ordained minister and nationally known LGBTQ activist.

But the shift may not be as big as Democrats hope.

While the current district is decidedly red, with a split of 55% of voters favoring Republicans and 43% Democrats, the new lines create a district with a 52% GOP to 45% Democratic split....

Others criticized the 14 congressional maps as a whole, saying they were partisan gerrymanders that analyses show will likely give Republicans 10 victories. The Princeton Gerrymandering Project gave the maps an "F" for the lopsided GOP advantage....

Beach-Ferrara said Republicans were "again trying to thwart the will of the voters by gerrymandering district lines to maximize their political power."

The question remains as to whether the maps will hold. Last decade saw several lawsuits and redrawn lines. Already a lawsuit has been filed by the state NAACP and others, challenging the Republican refusal to consider race-based data in drawing legislative districts.

Democratic state Sen. Julie Mayfield, speaking to the conservative Council of Independent Business Owners Nov. 5, criticized not just the congressional maps, but also those drawn for both houses of the General Assembly.

"All three of the maps, congressional, Senate and House are in some places pretty heavily gerrymandered. As you may know, the first lawsuit has already been filed. More are coming on all of those maps and we'll just have to see how that plays out."
Bad news:
I may still be repped by a Repug.
Gerrymandering persists.

Good news:
Henderson County is in #14.
#14 includes all of Asheville and Buncombe County AND I think Boone and Appalachian State University.
MAD WILL NOT BE MY REP EVEN IF HE WINS!
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:36 pm
Wow, congrats!

IIRC, he lives in Henderson County. How can he run where he's not a resident? I thought that was a no no in NC.
Idk. One would think that he got GQP/legal advice . . . but he's an idiot. Long time until the filing deadline if he's screwed up.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:36 pm
Wow, congrats!

IIRC, he lives in Henderson County. How can he run where he's not a resident? I thought that was a no no in NC.
From what I've read, it's not a no-no in NC. Can't remember the details at the moment, but apparently it's allowed.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

From the NC Board of Elections website:

Candidates must be:

at least 25 years of age,
a U.S. citizen for at least 7 years, and
a resident of the state by the date of the general election. (A candidate running for U.S. House is not required to be a resident of the congressional district in which the candidate is seeking election.)

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:29 pm
From the NC Board of Elections website:

Candidates must be:

at least 25 years of age,
a U.S. citizen for at least 7 years, and
a resident of the state by the date of the general election. (A candidate running for U.S. House is not required to be a resident of the congressional district in which the candidate is seeking election.)
Thanks!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Maddy Carpetbagger.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:10 pm
Maddy Carpetbagger.
On a bit of a roll...

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

A great force for good would be if this clown is struck deaf and dumb. Cross optional.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:08 am
A great force for good would be if this clown is struck deaf and dumb. Cross optional.
Idk if deaf is impending, but dumb happened long ago.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:09 pm
Amongst all his other failings, he appears to be geographically challenged to boot....
"almost directly on the line" is a function of how far his crossfit monster of a wife can carry him running before pausing to catch her breath.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I saw that same story earlier this morning, but that story had a photo of his house; two story blue house in a wooded setting with an apparently pretty hefty two leaf metal gate at the house end of the driveway. In the same photo there is a white car beyond the gate that appears to be a Dodge Challenger.
Opps! Never mind; the photo I mentioned does appear further on down in the story. My story had the photo at the very top.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 pm
I saw that same story earlier this morning, but that story had a photo of his house; two story blue house in a wooded setting with an apparently pretty hefty two leaf metal gate at the house end of the driveway. In the same photo there is a white car beyond the gate that appears to be a Dodge Challenger.
Opps! Never mind; the photo I mentioned does appear further on down in the story. My story had the photo at the very top.
Yeah, 7 year old house directly on a fairly busy road. I have some friends in the subdivision on the other side.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:09 pm
... Surprised the Little Hitler hasn't moved to a gated community, this is easily accessible.
Mad's got wheelchair knives, pistols, AK-47s, RPGs, a mine field . . . and his crossfit monster of a wife.

That's the badass 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Magnum from Vanishing Point (1971 film).

When he loses an election Mad plans to crash it into a couple of govt bulldozers in a glorious act of xtian wingnut martyrdom. That'll teach us.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Guessing it belongs to the little Mrs. 🙄

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:08 pm
Why?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:11 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Why?
Figured it would be difficult to adapt a two door for his needs.

Maybe I'm incorrect, I just assumed.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Stalking Maddy?

Really?

Don't you all have something better to do?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:30 pm
Stalking Maddy?

Really?

Don't you all have something better to do?
Not unless you start posting gibberish again.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:11 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Why?
Yeah, not only that, but he'd have to have levers to work the pedals. It might be that his former friend who was in the car wreck with him, the son of Bob Ledford, the RV dealer, might have possibly given him a deal on some sort of super Qmobile.