Superstar Cultmaster

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:24 pm
:clap: :clap: :clap:

:crybaby: :crybaby:

:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

I'm guessing he's still going to have some ups and downs during recovery but I hope he can have quality of life.
IF his brain was adequately oxygenated throughout, he MAY have no lingering effects other than a bruised sternum and also a sore throat from being intubated. There MIGHT be no heart damage if this was just the unfortunate timing of disruption in electrical conduction.

In perhaps extreme hopefulness, he could be healthy enough to rejoin the Bills' playoff run, but the NFL might quash the optics of that no matter what the MDs say. Putting him in for a meaningless play late in a game would provide a heartwarming Rocky moment, though.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The game has been cancelled. Idk how rankings will be sorted out.
Former Flyer Chris Pronger recalls suffering erratic heart rhythm after blow to chest during 1998 game
Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin remains hospitalized. He went into cardiac arrest after an impact to his upper body during Monday's game and speculation is the impact caused the potentially fatal issue

... When Pronger was injured — then a player for the St. Louis Blues — he was struck in the chest by a slap shot from Detroit Red Wings defenseman Dmitri Mironov. The puck hit Pronger just left of his heart, initially knocking him to the ground. He got up, took two strides and then collapsed onto the ice....

The puck that hit Pronger in the chest caused an arrhythmia, which occurs when the electrical signals that control the heart's beats fall out of sync. Pronger remained unconscious on the ice as his teammates and a silent crowd watched in horror....

"I was 23-24 at the time, the same age as Damar Hamlin," Pronger said. "His mom was at the game last night. My parents were at the game in Detroit. A lot of parallels, I thought. I just hope everything turns out right for him."

After Pronger's injury, he was taken to a hospital and evaluated before he was released with a heart monitor that he wore for 24 hours. His doctor didn't find any further irregularities and approved Pronger's return to the ice for Game 3 of the playoff series. Pronger played more than 41 minutes and recorded an assist.

... Mathew added that the key to Hamlin's initial care was the use of CPR and the presence of a defibrillator, which allowed medical professionals to act quickly to restore Hamlin's heartbeat. In one Sports Health study, the survival rate for commotio cordis stood at about 25% if the patient received CPR within three minutes of the injury. Survival dropped to just 3% in cases where CPR took more than three minutes to begin.

The challenge for people who suffer this injury is not necessarily an ongoing heart problem after CPR has been performed. The issue may come down to the extent of damage caused by oxygen deprivation to other organs resulting from cardiac arrest.

"When someone has had cardiac arrest, it can decrease blood flow to organs, especially the brain, so we're not really going to know the status of (Hamlin's) condition for a long time to come," Mathew said. "This can take time for his body and his brain and his heart to respond."

More broadly, the U.S. survival rate for cardiac arrest cases suffered outside of hospital settings is as low as 12%, according to the American Heart Association. Timely use of CPR can double or triple the chances of survival....

"That hit (on Hamlin) had to occur at a certain point in time that was only five milliseconds long," Cohen said. "If that hit occurred one millisecond after or before, this may not have happened." ...
Pronger played 15 more seasons. His subsequent Awards and achievements include:
Stanley Cup Champion 2007
James Norris Memorial Trophy 2000
Hart Memorial Trophy 2000
All-Star Game 1999, 2000, 2001 (voted in as starter but injured), 2002, 2004, 2008
Hockey Hall of Fame 2015

Not bad for a zombie.

Fwiw, commotio cordis is very rare. Otherwise, the survival rate for TRAUMATIC cardiac arrest cases suffered outside of hospital settings is virtually zero regardless of CPR - bled out or brain swelling.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:45 am
The game has been cancelled. Idk how rankings will be sorted out.
It's pretty convoluted and described as a nobody wins scenario but KC loses a little less in regards to home field advantage for the championship game. Most scenarios involve a neutral site for the top seeds for the conference title.

Feedback I've read said this is as good as could be hoped for.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/new ... kou647xdz9
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

They could let the kickers kick field goals until one missed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:49 am
It's pretty convoluted and described as a nobody wins scenario but KC loses a little less in regards to home field advantage for the championship game. Most scenarios involve a neutral site for the top seeds for the conference title.

Feedback I've read said this is as good as could be hoped for.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/new ... kou647xdz9
Thanks, that is complex. I've already forgotten half of what I just read. I'm disappointed because I had hopes for a Bills bye and Ravens division win, but neither was certain and Idk that I could have devised a fairer solution to this unique situation. Whatever, they're both in the Playoffs and still have to just win, baby.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:33 pm

Thanks, that is complex. I've already forgotten half of what I just read.
:lol: :lol:
Same.
Thought about rereading it but it'll be explained ad nauseam before every game for the next month.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:56 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thanks, that is complex. I've already forgotten half of what I just read....
Same.
Thought about rereading it but it'll be explained ad nauseam before every game for the next month.
Plus, Sunday's games could eliminate some or all of the scenarios if KC wins the bye outright and Cincy > Ravens.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:21 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Same.
Plus, Sunday's games could eliminate some or all of the scenarios if KC wins the bye outright and Cincy > Ravens.
At this point, I'll take your word on it. :think:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I almost feel sorry for the Pats this Sunday.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:21 pm
I almost feel sorry for the Pats this Sunday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/ ... 2690762759
:( :D :thumbup: Go Bills.
Damar Hamlin's GoFundMe passes $8 million mark as 'remarkable' recovery continues
Damar Hamlin got to FaceTime with his teammates Friday from the University of Cincinnati Medical Center

... By Friday afternoon, more than 230,000 people had donated, including Jim Irsay, Robert Kraft, Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, Russel Wilson and Ciara, Chris Jericho and more.

Hamlin’s father, Mario, both thanked fans in a statement and encouraged them to also donate to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center’s trauma center, where Hamlin is still receiving care....
:clap: :-||

Sat, 1/7

4:30 PM EST, TV: ABC
Go @Las Vegas Traitors 6-10 > Kansas City 13-3 (-8.5)
Las Vegas plays for pride and draft position, a contradiction. Kansas City plays for the bye, I think.

8:15 PM EST, Mediocre Bowl, TV: ABC
Titans 7-9 @Jaguars 8-8 (-6.5), Go football.
Winner takes the AFC South, yippie. Maybe the Jaguars have a Wildcard shot if they lose, but I doubt it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/standings/
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:21 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Same.
At this point, I'll take your word on it. :think:
Zac Taylor, Bengals aren't happy with NFL's coin-flip resolution after canceled game
A coin flip may decide who hosts a wild-card game between the Bengals and the Ravens, and Zac Taylor isn't happy about it

... The two teams will square off Sunday to conclude the regular season. If the Ravens win, the league will flip a coin to determine who hosts the playoff game. That is done instead of traditional rules that use winning percentages in the case of canceled games.

As far as I’m concerned, we just want the rules to be followed,” Taylor said Friday, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “When a game is canceled, you just turn to winning percentage to clarify everything so we don’t have to make up rules....

If the Ravens win Sunday, they’ll finish the season with an 11-6 record. The Bengals, under that scenario, would finish 11-5, which is slightly better than the Ravens’ record and would, under the old rules, allow them to host the wild-card game should the two teams meet in the first round.

Now, if that scenario unfolds, it’ll be determined by a coin flip.
He wants to benefit from a guy dying in front of him.
:puke-left: :obscene-birdiered:
... “It seems like there are positives for a lot of teams and just negatives for us,” Taylor said, via The Enquirer. “So, we have the opportunity to play for a coin flip that can only negatively impact us. We don’t have the opportunity to play for a coin flip that positively impact us....
:violin:
... “Let’s settle it the real way and f***ing win,” lineman Ted Karras said, via WCPO’s Caleb Noe.

“It is what it is. Our goal is to win Sunday, that cleans a lot of that up.”
Exactly, Zac, just fucking win, and if you don't you've still got a 50-50 shot, and if you lose the flip it's still just fucking win.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Winning is likely for the Bengals (-9.5):
NFL injury tracker Week 18: Lamar Jackson out again for Ravens with lingering knee sprain
Lamar Jackson is set to miss his fifth straight game with lingering left knee injury

... Jackson hasn’t played since Week 13, when he first went down with a sprained PCL in his left knee. He hasn’t practiced since, and the Ravens have struggled without him. While they have gone 2-2 and clinched a postseason berth, they are averaging just 12.3 points and have scored only three touchdowns in that span under Huntley.

There’s still no timetable for Jackson’s return, either....
:( :problem:
Jalen Hurts ‘trending’ to play for Eagles

... Hurts has missed the Eagles’ last two games after suffering a shoulder injury against the Chicago Bears in Week 15. The Eagles have lost two straight, which has opened the door for the Dallas Cowboys to steal the division title and the Eagles to lose their spot atop the NFC.

Though the Eagles didn’t specify Hurts’ status, coach Nick Sirianni said he’s “trending in the right direction” to make the start against the New York Giants.
Giants have a slot. So, GO Birds!
... The Jets have already been eliminated from the playoffs.

Skylar Thompson to start for Dolphins vs. Jets

... Thompson will lead Miami as Tua Tagovailoa and Teddy Bridgewater are dealing with respective injuries. Tagovailoa is still in concussion protocol and has been ruled out, and Bridgewater is dealing with a dislocated finger he sustained last week. The team hopes Bridgewater can back up Thompson.

The Dolphins enter Sunday’s game on a five-game losing skid. They need a win and a New England Patriots loss or tie to clinch a playoff berth, something they haven’t had since 2016....
Go Fish!
Justin Fields out for Bears

The Chicago Bears aren’t going to risk anything.

The Bears have ruled out quarterback Justin Fields for Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings. With nothing on the line but the No. 2 draft pick, and Fields dealing with a hip sprain, resting him only makes sense.

Instead, backup Nathan Peterman will make the start on Sunday....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

If the Bears were real animals, somebody would have put them out of their misery by now. On to "next year."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:43 pm
Sat, 1/7

Las Vegas plays for pride and draft position, a contradiction. Kansas City plays for the bye, I think.

Winner takes the AFC South, yippie. Maybe the Jaguars have a Wildcard shot if they lose, but I doubt it.

:lol: 0-1
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:43 pm
Sat, 1/7

:lol: 0-1

You should get a mulligan for that one.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:29 pm
You should get a mulligan for that one.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL_Memes/st ... 0216552448
That is so disrespectful! 0-0 because they're assholes.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hah, take that, Urban. 9-8 Jags in the Playoffs without you, TEAL with it.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:09 pm
Hah, take that, Urban. 9-8 Jags in the Playoffs without you, TEAL with it.
:lol:

Good game.

Trevor Lawrence is only 23? :wtf:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:15 pm
:lol:

Good game.

Trevor Lawrence is only 23? :wtf:
Entered the draft after his Junior year, 3-14 rookie last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Lawrence
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

TV today:

1:00 PM EST
Irrelevant Bowl :roll: Panthers 6-10 @Saints 7-9 (-4), TV: FOX
Go @Bills 12-3 (-7.5) > Patriots 8-8, TV: CBS
Pats are fighting off Miami and Pittsburgh for the last Wildcard spot. Bills are vying with Cincinnati for seeding, but can't get the bye.

4:25 PM EST
Go @Commies :puke-left: 7-8-1 > Cowboys 12-4 (-7), TV: FOX
Dallas is vying with Philadelphia for the Div. Commies don't care.
Go @Eagles 13-3 (-16 :shock: ) > Giants 9-6-1, TV: CBS
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am
Giants have a slot. So, GO Birds!
I don't care who gets the bye among Eagles, SF and MN, as long as it's not Dallas.

Also:

1:00 PM EST
GO Ravens 10-6 > @Bengals 11-4 (-9 :( )!!!
GO @Steelers 8-8 (-3) > Browns 7-9
Pittsburgh could knock the Pats out if the Pats and Miami lose.
GO @Dolphins 8-8 (-3.5) > Jets 7-9
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am
... The Jets have already been eliminated from the playoffs....

The Dolphins enter Sunday’s game on a five-game losing skid. They need a win and a New England Patriots loss or tie to clinch a playoff berth, something they haven’t had since 2016....
Go Fish!
4:25 PM EST
GO @Broncos 4-12 (-3 :headscratch: ) > Los Angeles Traitors 10-6
Traitors and Ravens are fighting for top Wildcard seed. Winner goes to Jacksonville.
GO Rams 5-11 > @Seahawks 8-8 (-6). :crazy: , I know.
Seahawks got screwed when the Lions-Kaaron Bay game was flexed to the night. :angry-cussing:
https://news.yahoo.com/nfl-week-18-sche ... 50823.html
So, I don't want the Lions to lose any incentive to win. That said, if the Seahawks win and the Lions still win, fine with me.

8:20 PM EST
GO Lions 8-8 > @Kaaron Bay 8-8 (-4.5), only you can keep Kaaron Bay out regardless of the Seahawks game.
1312. ETTD.