The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
homerfobe
Ensign

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:... we all know that homerfobe is pants-wetting terrified of ... his own latent homosexuality ...
Point proved, homerfobe is fantasizing that I'm gay. That's how desperate he is to have intercourse with gays, nttawwt.
Is that the best you queers can do? Accuse a queer hater of being queer? Are you making a pass at me? Don't hold your breath. Practically every post you make in this queer thread points to your being a queer, especially so when you so desperately accuse others of being something vile but yet you wallow in.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

From this week's News of the Weird:
...And in September, Pastor David Taylor of Joshua Media Ministries International (St. Louis, Missouri) announced, to great fanfare, that he had "resurrected" a diabetic woman, 40 minutes after her death, by sending the lady a text message -- through Facebook (though, of course, neither she nor any family member was available for an interview. [Christian Post, 8-29-2016]
Presumably texting through Facebook is covered in the NEW Testament.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

To:
NC ACLU: GENERAL COMPLAINT FORM
Americans United for Separation of Church and State, americansunited@au.org

The Henderson County, NC Sheriff's Department patrol cars have "In God We Trust" printed in bold letters on the trunks. I want our LEOs to serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally. Is there anything that you can do?

Thanks,

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:
To:

The Henderson County, NC Sheriff's Department patrol cars have "In God We Trust" printed in bold letters on the trunks. I want our LEOs to serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally. Is there anything that you can do?

Thanks,
Seconded!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

They might be more likely to act if you send a note, too.

There probably are non-believer deputies that have to sport that slogan.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Subject: RE: Godly Sheriff
Date: Thu, November 3, 2016 2:36 pm

Thank you for contacting Americans United. Unfortunately, "In God We Trust" is the
national motto. The courts have looked several times at challenges to government
placement of the motto on the money and on government buildings. Each time, they
have found that it is not a violation of the separation of church and state. The
basic explanation is that they do not view the motto as a religious saying. You can
read more about that in our FAQ entitled "Ceremonial Deism: Can the government make
official references to religion, as in the Pledge of Allegiance and the national
motto?" at https://au.org/get-involved/report-a-violation/FAQ. If the motto is
accompanied by something that makes it clear that it is meant to be religious ---
such as a cross, picture of Jesus, or some other religious iconography --- then it
can be challenged. Otherwise, it is not a violation.

Best,
Ian Smith
Staff Attorney
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
1901 L Street NW, Suite 400 - Washington DC - 20036
202-466-3234 ext 244 | fax: 202-466-3353 | ismith@au.org
http://www.au.org |
"they do not view the motto as a religious saying." :wtf:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

"In Mythological Sky-Fairy We Trust"

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not that I particularly agree with it, but it's considered generic and similar to saying "God bless you" after a sneeze or "OMG!" or maybe even "Goddammint". My problem with that is that it's not so important how one could possibly interpret a generic quote like "in God we trust", but how the person (or town) using it considers it. I'm guessing those who put it on the cars or wherever don't look at it as a sneeze greeting. I'm thinking those who say "Allah akbar" probably don't see it the same as saying "God help us."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

All it would take is a covering "Allah" sticker to test the generic, non-religious theory :evil: (hypothetically, NSA).

Do you know any good, atheist criminal lawyers?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:To:

"The Henderson County, NC Sheriff's Department patrol cars have "In God We Trust" printed in bold letters on the trunks. I want our LEOs to serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally. Is there anything that you can do?"

Thanks,
Heaven forbid! It's on the fire trucks too! Better hope your house don't catch fire, they might not serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally!
Look closely, Vrede; it doesn't say "We Serve Christians Only", nor does it say "We Trust Christians Only". How is that decal preventing the
HCSO and other sheriff's/police departments across the nation from serving all citizens; whether they be atheist, "gay", transgender, bi-gender,
tri-gender, Muslim, Buddhist, or whatever? If you showed up at work wearing an FSM pin or upside down Cross, would that prevent you from serving all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally? You can bet your your butt that the HCSO will arrest a Christian just as quickly as any other citizen, regardless of race, creed, and all those other legal descriptions.

You do realize that in their reply, the ACLU was being nice to you by saying there was nothing they can do, regardless what YOU wanted?

BTW, numerous religions/ideologies worship/view God as Supreme Deity.
If the decal said "In Jesus We Trust", then your Anti-Christ LeagUe pals would have a field day with that, because many of those religions/ideologies have their own versions of "son of God".
Last edited by Mr.B on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

reposted to satisfy the whiners
Last edited by Mr.B on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:"In Mythological Sky-Fairy We Trust"
Last edited by Mr.B on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

God has told prominent Christian televangelist Jim Bakker that "Donald Trump is going to be your next President." Apparently he didn't get the memo about keeping the 2016 U.S. presidential election results under embargo for a few more days.

Granted, he told a lot of folks that McCain and then Romney would win their elections.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
rstrong (in response to homerfobe's premature crowing) wrote:The Charlotte Observer fills in a few more details....

So only a temporary loss, one that even conservatives object to. It won't stand for long.
An article I read made clear what the Charlotte Observer alludes to - It was just luck of the draw to have 3 cons on a the left-leaning 4th Circuit, 1 of whom dissented, to be the sub-panel that decided this case. Also, there was the line drawn by the 2014 U.S. Supreme Court case involving the town of Greece, N.Y. that this case clearly crosses. So, 2 opportunities to likely overturn con judges Steven Agee and Dennis Shedd.
Update:

A Bad N.C. Prayer Ruling Will Get Another Hearing

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote: "they do not view the motto as a religious saying." :wtf:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:
Vrede too wrote: "they do not view the motto as a religious saying." :wtf:
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm not crying, Mr.B screws up again. I'm just remarking on the desperate stupidity of believers that try to claim that "In God We Trust" is not religious. In fact, I think the irony of y'all committing Commandment level false witness in order to promote your disdain for the 1st Amendment is hilarious. Thank you.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:I'm not crying, Mr.B screws up again. I'm just remarking on the desperate stupidity of believers that try to claim that "In God We Trust" is not religious. In fact, I think the irony of y'all committing Commandment level false witness in order to promote your disdain for the 1st Amendment is hilarious. Thank you.
In Mr.B's defense, he's made it clear often enough that his personal beliefs dictate what Christianity is, not the other way 'round.

He wants to serve God, but only as an advisor.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:...believers that try to claim that "In God We Trust" is not religious.
Oh, the people who put the sticker on the cop cars and their license plates, etc. definitely think it's religious. As do those who have sued over it as a First Amendment violation. It's just the court decisions that have deemed it generic not enough "religious" to ban on public stuff. The ones who want to use "In God We Trust" on public property have never argued it wasn't religious. Only that it is a US motto, commonly used, etc.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Apparently, there's a difference between religious sayings and "ceremonial deism". :wtf:

Ceremonial Deism: Can the government make official references to religion, as in the Pledge of Allegiance and the national motto?

Well, goddammit.

No biggie for me, contrary to Mr.B's delusions. We all know that this is a rightwing county with lots of folks that want to impose their Christianity on others whatever the cop cars say. I just thought there might be an opportunity to stick it to the folks that blithely corrupt the 1st Amendment's intent. Doesn't change a thing if there isn't.