Romney Wins Again

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Brother
Red Shirt

Re: Romney Wins Again

Unread post by Brother »

No, it is not representative of the rest of the United States. What a stupid question.

But at least if Romney wins us women will be allowed to have "flex time" so that we can get home earlier from work to give us more time to cook dinner... Seriously?

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

Brother wrote:No, it is not representative of the rest of the United States. What a stupid question.

But at least if Romney wins us women will be allowed to have "flex time" so that we can get home earlier from work to give us more time to cook dinner... Seriously?
I know a women who works a flex schedule and she thinks it's the best thing in the world. I understand with some jibs it's just not possible but nearly anything computer related it's possible to do this. I even know of a man who does this and he's talked his bosses into letting him work up to three days out of his house. I think it's a good idea.

Brother
Red Shirt

Unread post by Brother »

Colonel Taylor wrote:
Brother wrote:No, it is not representative of the rest of the United States. What a stupid question.

I know a women who works a flex schedule and she thinks it's the best thing in the world. I understand with some jibs it's just not possible but nearly anything computer related it's possible to do this. I even know of a man who does this and he's talked his bosses into letting him work up to three days out of his house. I think it's a good idea.

Well, you just missed the whole point didn't you? here is a hint: It isn't about flex time - which I work often by the way.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Brother wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:

Well, you just missed the whole point didn't you? here is a hint: It isn't about flex time - which I work often by the way.
Nope, you were being sarcastic. :D just think it's a good idea and it was popular a few years back seemed to disappear.
Do you have a problem with getting home to cook dinner for your family. They were just talking about family weren't they and this went that way is all?

Brother
Red Shirt

Unread post by Brother »

i usually cook dinner every night so no I don't have a problem with that. But when my son-in-law is home he usually cooks. I doubt, though, that Romney would consider giving him flex time so that he would get home in time to cook dinner... Are you beginning to grasp the point yet?

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Brother wrote:i usually cook dinner every night so no I don't have a problem with that. But when my son-in-law is home he usually cooks. I doubt, though, that Romney would consider giving him flex time so that he would get home in time to cook dinner... Are you beginning to grasp the point yet?
I understood and I just think it's a good idea and was saying so IF YOU CAN GET IT. Not all jobs are capable though. I also don't think the Romney's ever had this problem either. :mrgreen:

keyboarder
Red Shirt

Unread post by keyboarder »

Colonel Taylor wrote:
Brother wrote:i usually cook dinner every night so no I don't have a problem with that. But when my son-in-law is home he usually cooks. I doubt, though, that Romney would consider giving him flex time so that he would get home in time to cook dinner... Are you beginning to grasp the point yet?
I understood and I just think it's a good idea and was saying so IF YOU CAN GET IT. Not all jobs are capable though. I also don't think the Romney's ever had this problem either. :mrgreen:
Romney was trying to appeal to average, everyday working mothers and thought it would benefit women to be able to work ammended working hours. i think it's great, especially since nursery fees have been bloated to where you pay high amounts of overtime when you are as little as five minutes late picking up your children. I just think it gives women more time to do what they normally do for their families.

The biggest problem i would think would be all the different working hours that are involved, such as in swing shifts. Manufacturing jobs would be a problem due to the way you have to work. employers don't keep extra hands to take over your job if you choose to leave early. In this economy, you do ok to even have a job. In the manufacturing jobs, you usually have quotas and some even have time assessments, you have to run so many parts per hour and get your quota before your shift ends. I think this would greatly hamper you from leaving early to go cook dinner. Maybe his plan was based on dayshift hours (9 to 5). Then it wouldn't benefit all women unless the employers could come up with hours that would benefit all women. It wouldn't have to benefit men, his objective was to have better for women because they actually do two jobs if they work outside of their homes, at least that's the way it is supposed to work.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

Not everyone is disciplined enough to work flex time. I suspect so many people will want a flex job that the pay will be relatively low or performance based.

My guess is the only people that will be successful at flex jobs are the ones working at something they love.

Apache
Red Shirt

Unread post by Apache »

My daughter who is a medical coder works from home. As she has a baby, it requires alot of dedication to do both. Lucky for her, her spouse also has flex hours. As a team they are able to make a living and raise their family. They are one of the fortunate ones. I really dont think who is president will alter a companies decision on where the employees work. The demand and the quality of the work will be the key. Keyboarder our generation of women did do it all, we brought home the bacon and fried it up in the pan. This next group of smart wives/partners are demanding and getting the household help they need. My sons and son in laws know how to cook, wash clothes and raise them babies. All are well trained and house broken. ;)

Apache
Red Shirt

Unread post by Apache »

Hugh, not all are lowing paying, my daughter is well paid with benefits for her work. Of course she has numerous degrees and continuing education credits. My son in law doesnt work from home, yet due to the nature of his craft, which is well paying also, he has flex hours. His customers determine his work schedule. Thanks to techo advances, the work place is changing from 9 to 5 and a desk bound job.

Brother
Red Shirt

Unread post by Brother »

keyboarder wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:
Romney was trying to appeal to average, everyday working mothers and thought it would benefit women to be able to work ammended working hours. i think it's great, especially since nursery fees have been bloated to where you pay high amounts of overtime when you are as little as five minutes late picking up your children. I just think it gives women more time to do what they normally do for their families.

The biggest problem i would think would be all the different working hours that are involved, such as in swing shifts. Manufacturing jobs would be a problem due to the way you have to work. employers don't keep extra hands to take over your job if you choose to leave early. In this economy, you do ok to even have a job. In the manufacturing jobs, you usually have quotas and some even have time assessments, you have to run so many parts per hour and get your quota before your shift ends. I think this would greatly hamper you from leaving early to go cook dinner. Maybe his plan was based on dayshift hours (9 to 5). Then it wouldn't benefit all women unless the employers could come up with hours that would benefit all women. It wouldn't have to benefit men, his objective was to have better for women because they actually do two jobs if they work outside of their homes, at least that's the way it is supposed to work.

Seriously...? Yeah, let's just gloss over the real connotation of what Romney is saying. Apparently it went right over your head just like it did Romney's. Just to bring you into this century in most families the men do as much of the cooking as the women do. Just like he said that one parent should stay home with their child so no need for daycare or after school care. Wonder which parent he was talking about? Lordy...

keyboarder
Red Shirt

Unread post by keyboarder »

Nothing goes over my head Brother.

I can only sit and wonder what my life as a mother of four would have been like if my husband had not been a drunkard that loved night life and his friends over his family. I do not regret getting my family away from him, only that he couldn't accept responsibility for his actions. The burden was always on me, with or without him, but i could have appreciated someone coming up with any plan that wouild have at least given me a break.
Hey, couldn't ask for better children now. All have good jobs and two are in college. Daughter works at North Grove doctor's Park as patient advocate/scheduler. My job was actually three jobs. My Mom was my only help and she lived a couple of miles from my house. she would come and make sure that they were getting their homework and had taken their baths. I always had their meals prepared and mom would line them up at the sink to do their part of the cleanup. She read to my children and made sure they were in bed early. I always had a good job and was able to subside off of it. It helped that Mom always grew a garden and she and i and my daughter would can and freeze most of it. I was able to put my kids thru high school but they have paid their way to get additional education. I have one son that is raising his two children because his wife fell into drug addiction and is lying as a vegetable and been that way for eight years. He's had those children by himself and spends all of his time with them. When he needs me, I'm there. The children are in sports and with his schedule, he is not always able to pick them up. His son is in honors classes and plays sports and his daughter is a cheerleader and is A/B honor roll. The time he has invested in those children is admirable for the average man. He has even taught his son how to play the guitar and i teach them piano if they want it.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

Tertius wrote:I think it is in the realm of possibilities Obama will not show up for the last debate.
It might be possible that blackfoot will post just obvious bs rather than incredibly obvious bs.. but it sure as hell isn't likely.. :roll:

The notion that President Obama would not show (baring an actual emergency) is simply delusional.. Do you people really think like that??
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

homerfobe wrote:waaaa-aaaaa--a--aahhh!
And there we have the sum total of hummer's wisdom.. .. ..
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

Brother
Red Shirt

Unread post by Brother »

keyboarder wrote:Nothing goes over my head Brother.

I can only sit and wonder what my life as a mother of four would have been like if my husband had not been a drunkard that loved night life and his friends over his family. I do not regret getting my family away from him, only that he couldn't accept responsibility for his actions. The burden was always on me, with or without him, but i could have appreciated someone coming up with any plan that wouild have at least given me a break.
Hey, couldn't ask for better children now. All have good jobs and two are in college. Daughter works at North Grove doctor's Park as patient advocate/scheduler. My job was actually three jobs. My Mom was my only help and she lived a couple of miles from my house. she would come and make sure that they were getting their homework and had taken their baths. I always had their meals prepared and mom would line them up at the sink to do their part of the cleanup. She read to my children and made sure they were in bed early. I always had a good job and was able to subside off of it. It helped that Mom always grew a garden and she and i and my daughter would can and freeze most of it. I was able to put my kids thru high school but they have paid their way to get additional education. I have one son that is raising his two children because his wife fell into drug addiction and is lying as a vegetable and been that way for eight years. He's had those children by himself and spends all of his time with them. When he needs me, I'm there. The children are in sports and with his schedule, he is not always able to pick them up. His son is in honors classes and plays sports and his daughter is a cheerleader and is A/B honor roll. The time he has invested in those children is admirable for the average man. He has even taught his son how to play the guitar and i teach them piano if they want it.

I raised my children on my own also because their father was worthless. After my daughter was 9 years old I married an incredibly wonderful man and he treated my children as his own. I worked and I cooked and I cleaned and I did basically everything too. No parents to help either. And no flex time. I appreciate that flex time would be a help to many people - but not just to women so that they can come home to "make dinner."

blackfoot
Pilot Officer

Unread post by blackfoot »

Crock Hunter wrote:
Tertius wrote:I think it is in the realm of possibilities Obama will not show up for the last debate.
It might be possible that blackfoot will post just obvious bs rather than incredibly obvious bs.. but it sure as hell isn't likely.. :roll:
Oh here you are lizard boy, I was waiting on you to respond to our last conversation, but you always did have a habit of hiding after a smackdown didn't you?

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Brother, I ask did the TN vote on who won the debate represent the rest of the US. You said the question was stupid. FWIW it was a rhetorical question. I'm pretty sure those who participate on this forum are well aware that this area is primarily conservative and pro Romney. If the same question was asked in Connecticut, who won the debate, I'm sure the numbers would be reversed.

Who do you think won the debate?

Brother
Red Shirt

Unread post by Brother »

Any poll in this area is worthless. We all know what it is going to say. I definitely think Obama won the last debate. I did not, however, think he won the first debate. He said they had cautioned him to be polite. And he probably didn't realize that Romney was going to change his stance on every subject that was brought up.

Apache
Red Shirt

Unread post by Apache »

Romney won the 1st one, Obama the 2nd. Round 3 should determine alot of issues. I am glad to see so many people watching and making comments. It is always good to have a interest in our elections. Lack of interest scares me more than mouthy comments.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Apache wrote:Romney won the 1st one, Obama the 2nd. Round 3 should determine alot of issues. I am glad to see so many people watching and making comments. It is always good to have a interest in our elections. Lack of interest scares me more than mouthy comments.
I agree.....apathy is just making someone else's wish come true.