Impeachment

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Re: Impeachment

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Little Lulu still holding on to the impeachment fiasco attempt to overthrow the Presidency. Dems withholding aid was a another dim moment for their constituents.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 am
DTs approval rating appears to be surging: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/
I would take that with a grain of salt. POTUSes always do well early in a crisis. People want to be able to rally behind them. Whether that's sustainable and for how long depends on the crisis and the POTUS.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:00 am
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 am
DTs approval rating appears to be surging: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/
I would take that with a grain of salt. POTUSes always do well early in a crisis. People want to be able to rally behind them. Whether that's sustainable and for how long depends on the crisis and the POTUS.
Kind of loving how Whitehouse reporters are reading off trump quotes to his face and asking follow up questions, only to see Cheetohead attack the reporters and gaslight the nation.

Keep it up!!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:47 am
Kind of loving how Whitehouse reporters are reading off trump quotes to his face and asking follow up questions, only to see Cheetohead attack the reporters and gaslight the nation.

Keep it up!!
This one is bizarre even for PINO:

'Don't be a cutie pie': Trump shoots down reporter who asks about coronavirus supplies

I watched an interview with "that woman", Mich Gov Whitmer. Despite being given numerous openings she stuck to the high road - 'My focus is on the people of Michigan, I ignore the distractions.'

Ah, class and leadership.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Well how nice, we get to revive dead thread.

Sweet.
:laughing-rofl:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:45 pm
Well how nice, we get to revive dead thread.

Sweet.
:laughing-rofl:
House impeaches Trump again

... Before Wednesday, no U.S. president had ever been impeached twice.

The impeachment article was passed by a vote of 232-197 with 10 Republicans joining Democrats in the chamber....

Republican Reps. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, Peter Meijer and Fed Upton of Michigan, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, David Valadao of California, John Katko of New York, Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio, Tom Rice of South Carolina, and Jaime Herrera Beutler and Dan Newhouse of Washington all voted in favor of impeachment.
Depending on whether Kinzinger is your Rep, GoCubsGo, none of us are represented by these Repubs.
... But on Wednesday, Trump’s Republican supporters moved to punish Cheney for what they saw as her betrayal of the president. Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, said he would seek a vote to remove Cheney from her position as House Republican Conference Chair.
:roll:
... Republican Sens. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Ben Sasse of Nebraska have all stated that they would vote to convict Trump and remove him from office. Reports circulated on Wednesday that as many as 20 Republican senators might vote in favor of conviction.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell holds the key to what happens next, and minutes after the House voted to impeach Trump he released a statement signaling that the Senate would not take up the impeachment article until after Trump has left office....

“While the press has been full of speculation, I have not made a final decision on how I will vote and I intend to listen to the legal arguments when they are presented to the Senate,” McConnell said in his letter....

A trial will almost certainly wait until after Jan. 20. If Trump is ultimately convicted, the Senate could impose a lifetime ban on him holding office again, which would preclude any intention on his part to run for president again in 2024....
Awww, Gaetz's excellent whining was not notable enough to make it into the article. I wonder if rookie Cawthorn threw a public tantrum, too.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I happened to see Cawthorne. It belied his age. His words were nonsensical and the moment looked to big for him.

My rep is Brad Schneider who was fortunate enough to be one of the ones given covid in the Capitol lockdown. He's pretty low key, I really don't know that much about him.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm
I happened to see Cawthorne. It belied his age. His words were nonsensical and the moment looked to big for him.

My rep is Brad Schneider who was fortunate enough to be one of the ones given covid in the Capitol lockdown. He's pretty low key, I really don't know that much about him.
Some lapses, but Brad Schneider (D-IL 10) looks okay, better than Heath Shuler (D-NC11) was.

I'll bet that all of us at 25 years old were more articulate, rational, intelligent and mature than Cawthorn.

Rep Cori Bush, RN! (D-St Louis, MO): "White Supremacist in Chief"

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm

Fuck that Cawthorn guy; he's the sort of asshole who'd lie to your face and smile, all the time playing to your sympathy. I spotted him a mile away as a fresh faced master liar. He will lie till he dies. In old age, he will be a lying, dying vestige of rampant ignorance and fake swagger.....trumpy.But my "representative" is Diana Harshbarger.....she would embarrass the Waffen SS with her devotion to trump.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Making the right noises but it is the turtle.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 pm
Making the right noises but it is the turtle.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Tuesday that the pro-Trump mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 was "provoked by the president and other powerful people including sycophant Mitch McConnell." ...
Fixed that for him.
Seems to me you have to convict him now.
400,000 DEAD LATER?
Moscow has broken with trump and will be impeaching
Public Citizen
@Public_Citizen

McConnell didn’t acknowledge Biden’s victory for six weeks.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Well, there goes Mitch. By February, the conspiracy addicted crowd will have glommed onto that face paint organic food only horny hat wearing kook. They will all swear he's been anointed by trump. This delusion will last for six days; on the seventh they will rest and then glom onto something else.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 pm
Well, there goes Mitch. By February, the conspiracy addicted crowd will have glommed onto that face paint organic food only horny hat wearing kook. They will all swear he's been anointed by trump. This delusion will last for six days; on the seventh they will rest and then glom onto something else.
:D

Voting to convict Trump would cost McConnell his Senate leadership, GOP faction warns

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is the only one IDed in the article. Whatever the outcome, Repug bickering and PINO ass-kissing can only be good for the Dems.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Senator Ron Johnson. :lol: The lap dog of lap dogs. Every time I see him on video I imagine him in a Nazi SS uniform.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 am
Senator Ron Johnson. :lol: The lap dog of lap dogs. Every time I see him on video I imagine him in a Nazi SS uniform.
Nazi lap dance? Kinky. :P

Meet the other American who was impeached and tried after leaving office

... Several Republicans have coalesced around a defense of Trump — that, under the Constitution, you can’t impeach and remove someone who’s no longer in office.

But there is historical precedent for impeaching and trying to convict a former federal officeholder.

In 1876, as the U.S. House of Representatives was about to vote on articles of impeachment against Secretary of War William Belknap over corruption charges, Belknap walked over to the White House, submitted his resignation letter to President Ulysses S. Grant and burst into tears.

The House still went ahead and impeached Belknap, and the Senate tried him, with the impeachment managers arguing that departing office doesn’t excuse the alleged offense — otherwise, officeholders would simply resign to escape conviction or impeachment.

And the Senate voted in 1876, by a 37-29 margin, that Belknap was eligible to be impeached and tried even though he resigned from office.

But Belknap was eventually acquitted, with the Senate failing to muster the two-thirds vote needed to convict. (A significant number of senators believed the Senate lacked jurisdiction to convict him because he no longer held office.)

So the Belknap precedent is instructive.

Nearly 150 years ago, a majority of senators voted that you could impeach and try a former officeholder — for high crimes and misdemeanors committed while in office.

But just enough senators were persuaded that it was pointless to convict....

The three groups of GOP senators

... A small group of GOP senators wants Trump out of the party and out of the 2024 discussion — ASAP.

Another group doesn’t think Trump did anything wrong.

And a third group in the middle is troubled by Trump’s behavior leading up to Jan. 6, but they’ve settled in on a process argument — that you can’t impeach and convict a former officeholder.

It’s this third group who are likely the difference between Trump’s acquittal or conviction.

And they’re a reminder how Trump — whether in his business, or as president, or now out of office — has usually benefitted from people who just want to move on.
2 more possible groups, imo:
GOP senators that would convict, but are afraid of primaries.
GOP senators that would acquit, but are afraid of general elections.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

The third group is your "2 more possible". Of course they know that you can still impeach, but it true repug form, when a lie works better use it.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

45 Senate Republicans Vote To Dismiss Trump's Impeachment Trial

... Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), one of the five Republicans who voted with Democrats against Paul’s motion, wasn’t swayed.

“My review of it has led me to conclude it is constitutional in recognizing impeachment is not solely about removing a president. It is also a matter of political consequence,” Murkowski told HuffPost.

GOP Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah, Susan Collins of Maine, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania also voted against Paul’s motion.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Latest scuttle is that Senate will settle for censuring The Donald.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:08 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 am
Nazi lap dance? Kinky. :P

Meet the other American who was impeached and tried after leaving office

... Several Republicans have coalesced around a defense of Trump — that, under the Constitution, you can’t impeach and remove someone who’s no longer in office.

But there is historical precedent for impeaching and trying to convict a former federal officeholder.

In 1876, as the U.S. House of Representatives was about to vote on articles of impeachment against Secretary of War William Belknap over corruption charges, Belknap walked over to the White House, submitted his resignation letter to President Ulysses S. Grant and burst into tears.

The House still went ahead and impeached Belknap, and the Senate tried him, with the impeachment managers arguing that departing office doesn’t excuse the alleged offense — otherwise, officeholders would simply resign to escape conviction or impeachment.

And the Senate voted in 1876, by a 37-29 margin, that Belknap was eligible to be impeached and tried even though he resigned from office.

But Belknap was eventually acquitted, with the Senate failing to muster the two-thirds vote needed to convict. (A significant number of senators believed the Senate lacked jurisdiction to convict him because he no longer held office.)

So the Belknap precedent is instructive.

Nearly 150 years ago, a majority of senators voted that you could impeach and try a former officeholder — for high crimes and misdemeanors committed while in office.

But just enough senators were persuaded that it was pointless to convict....

The three groups of GOP senators

... A small group of GOP senators wants Trump out of the party and out of the 2024 discussion — ASAP.

Another group doesn’t think Trump did anything wrong.

And a third group in the middle is troubled by Trump’s behavior leading up to Jan. 6, but they’ve settled in on a process argument — that you can’t impeach and convict a former officeholder.

It’s this third group who are likely the difference between Trump’s acquittal or conviction.

And they’re a reminder how Trump — whether in his business, or as president, or now out of office — has usually benefitted from people who just want to move on.
2 more possible groups, imo:
GOP senators that would convict, but are afraid of primaries.
GOP senators that would acquit, but are afraid of general elections.
The US Navy had a class of cruisers called the Belknap Class.....wiki doesn't say if they are named for this guy but I assume they are. This makes me nervous that sometime in the future the Navy will name a class of garbage scows the Trump Class. But each and every one of these will catch on fire and sink during their initial launch due to some unexplained and unfixable flaw in the design, which was done by Manafort and Navarro Shipyards of Omaha, NE.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:18 am
The US Navy had a class of cruisers called the Belknap Class.....wiki doesn't say if they are named for this guy but I assume they are. This makes me nervous that sometime in the future the Navy will name a class of garbage scows the Trump Class. But each and every one of these will catch on fire and sink during their initial launch due to some unexplained and unfixable flaw in the design, which was done by Manafort and Navarro Shipyards of Omaha, NE.
Different Belknaps, but possibly related:
USS Belknap (DLG-26/CG-26), named for Rear Admirals George E. Belknap (1832–1903) and Reginald Rowan Belknap (1871–1959), was the lead ship of her class of guided missile cruisers in the United States Navy. She was launched in 1963 as DLG-26, a guided missile frigate under the then-current designation system, and reclassified as CG-26 on 30 June 1975.

On 22 November 1975, Belknap and the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy collided, killing seven sailors on the cruiser and one on the aircraft carrier.
Naming a class of garbage scows the Trump Class would be a nasty thing to do . . . to garbage scows. At least they're useful for something.