WNBA

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: WNBA

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:20 pm
Threatening, anti-gay email sent to wife of Liberty's Breanna Stewart

... In Game 1 on Thursday, Stewart missed a free throw that would have given New York the lead with 0.8 seconds remaining in regulation, and she later misfired on a layup that would have tied it at the end of overtime.

The series is now tied 1-1 after Stewart and the Liberty bounced back in Game 2 in Brooklyn....

The incident comes as many WNBA players have said they've experienced an uptick of racist, misogynistic, anti-gay and otherwise vitriolic behavior directed toward them in a season where the league has exploded in popularity and growth.

DiJonai Carrington and Angel Reese are among players who have said they've been on the receiving end of threatening messages....
We're becoming as bad as South American soccer, even with women's sports. Many people say it's due to the national expansion of gambling, including prop bets. Sheesh, it's just sports and they're supposed to be fun. If your gambling makes you angry, you have a gambling problem.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:45 pm
Or an anger problem.
I wonder which works better, Gamblers Anonymous or anger management.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Breanna Stewart seems to be channeling her anger over the attack on her wife into the games. She led NY with 21 in the Game 2 win. Then tonight:
9-20 FGs, 10-10 FTs!, 11 REBs!, 4 BLKs!, 30 PTs!
Only the third 30-10 double double ever in the Finals (playoffs?) and she has one of the other two :-|| :-||
Then, Sabrina Ionescu was the ultimate hero with a near-walkoff looong 3-pointer,
Game 3: New York 80, Minnesota 77, NY leads series 2-1
Napheesa Collier got 22 points for the Lynx.

I don't have a favorite, but I'm happy to see Breanna Stewart doing well.

Jasmine
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Jasmine »

There is absolutely no place for any kind of racist or sexual orientation attack in any sport.

That goes both ways, of course. This past season, there has been quite a bit of vitriol aimed at Caitlin Clark because she happens to be white and straight. The WNBA is sort of unique because it seems at least half of the league’s players are gay, and the majority are black.

I’m chalking this up to growing pains. Both the WNBA players and fans need to embrace the league’s new popularity and recognize what a great opportunity this is. When the new TV deal comes together and salaries are elevated for everyone, I think that will help a lot.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Several sports have a high percentage (or majority) Black, including the NBA and NFL, but the number of gay players does seem higher than might be expected.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:45 am
Several sports have a high percentage (or majority) Black, including the NBA and NFL, but the number of gay players does seem higher than might be expected.
Idk what the actual proportion is or what should be expected. A hetero feminist friend told me to expect lesbian basketball players . . . in the early 1990s . . . on the University of Montana team! It had never occurred to me :doh: I never asked about soccer or tennis, but I would not have been surprised by the rugby women.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sunday - GAME 5!!!
8:00 PM ESPN
Minnesota Lynx 30-10 @New York Liberty 32-8 (-5.5)

Jasmine
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Jasmine »

Congratulations to the New York Liberty for winning their first-ever WNBA championship!

The Liberty won despite their two stars - Breanna Stewart and Sabrina Ionescu - having horrible shooting nights. They were a combined 5 for 34 from the field. Ionescu was an unbelievable 1 for 19!

Defense does win championships!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Jasmine wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2024 10:42 pm
Congratulations to the New York Liberty for winning their first-ever WNBA championship!

The Liberty won despite their two stars - Breanna Stewart and Sabrina Ionescu - having horrible shooting nights. They were a combined 5 for 34 from the field. Ionescu was an unbelievable 1 for 19!

Defense does win championships!
:crazy: 67-62 OT!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Liberty were the only original WNBA team to have not won a championship. They lost in the Finals 5 times!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There's been a WNBA for 28 years? I really did not know that.