Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by O Really »

True story: A couple of people were chatting in the aisle at Walmart, one talking about medical issues of what may have been a mutual acquaintance. I didn't hear much of the conversation, but she said, "...they put her on diarrhea for blood pressure."

I think most people would have said "diuretic", but that's just me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:36 pm
True story: A couple of people were chatting in the aisle at Walmart, one talking about medical issues of what may have been a mutual acquaintance. I didn't hear much of the conversation, but she said, "...they put her on diarrhea for blood pressure."

I think most people would have said "diuretic", but that's just me.
:-H I once tried to get iodine or some other water purifier in a Mexican pharmacy. In my broken Spanish I asked for "tabletas por agua pura". Fortunately, I recognized the generic Spanish name for the diuretic Lasix. :o My water would have stayed contaminated - diarrhea - and I would have further dehydrated myself with the Lasix.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A high school student's mural angers parents over what they say are hidden messages

School district officials and a high school student in Michigan have drawn the ire of parents who allege that a painted mural contains LGBTQ propaganda, a depiction of Satan and a message of witchcraft.

The painting covers a wall inside a teen health center at Grant Middle School in Grant, Mich., and was created by a local high school sophomore who won a competition....

Debate over the mural's meaning became heated — often verging on uncivil — during a school board meeting, covered by WZZM, a local Grand Rapids news station, last week.

Throughout much of the meeting, incensed parents claimed the artist intentionally subverted the mural's "Stay Healthy" theme to promote anti-Christian messages.

"It's discrimination against Christian beliefs," one man said during public comments, adding that it also qualifies as "hate material."
:roll: :crybaby: :obscene-birdiered: Even most Christians aren't RW bigots.
... "I put my artwork up there to make people feel welcomed," she said in a quivering voice.

Responding to adults' accusations that she schemed to include sinister images, she said, "That's not what I'm a part of. That's not what I'm trying to put out there."

The student explained that the so-called Satan mask is a character from a video game and that the painted hand is a Latino symbol of protection. She eventually left the meeting in tears.
:(
Afterward, one woman stood up to say, "I feel that she did a really good job finding excuses to defend the things she put on. None of us are that stupid."
Yes, YOU are.
One student who identifies as a queer person, and who said that they've been bullied by other children, said the mural made them feel included.

"Maybe you should be more concerned with your children's behaviors instead of what art is on the wall," they told parents in the room.

Another parent who described herself as a "conservative, right-wing, gun-loving American" admonished parents for going after the student artist so viciously.

"I've never seen more bigoted people in my life," she said....
:clap: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This whole thing is educational. A FL middle school teacher was arrested for walking around naked at his apartment complex, as well as getting familiar with various structural members of the building. When the cops asked him why he did this he just told them "I can't explain it." I sort of thought that was the best answer.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/completely-n ... 19421.html

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:54 pm
This whole thing is educational. A FL middle school teacher was arrested for walking around naked at his apartment complex, as well as getting familiar with various structural members of the building. When the cops asked him why he did this he just told them "I can't explain it." I sort of thought that was the best answer.
The newspaper reporter people's headline says "Completely nude’ middle school teacher ..." yet the facts show that he had on pants.

"she saw the man walking with no shirt and his pants pulled down to his knees, according to the affidavit"

Them newspapers will say anything. That why I love headlines.

These linked to neo's article look promising

Weatherman fired after appearing on adult webcam site, he says. ‘I can’t take it back’

Instagram star accused of exposing himself from high-rise apartment balcony, GA cops say

Couple engage in sex act while waiting in line at Cedar Point theme park, cops say
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:06 pm
The newspaper reporter people's headline says "Completely nude’ middle school teacher ..." yet the facts show that he had on pants.

"she saw the man walking with no shirt and his pants pulled down to his knees, according to the affidavit" ...
Thank goodness. Ankles are obscene.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:06 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:54 pm

"she saw the man walking with no shirt and his pants pulled down to his knees, according to the affidavit"

Them newspapers will say anything. That why I love headlines.

These linked to neo's article look promising

Weatherman fired after appearing on adult webcam site, he says. ‘I can’t take it back’

Instagram star accused of exposing himself from high-rise apartment balcony, GA cops say

Couple engage in sex act while waiting in line at Cedar Point theme park, cops say
My man was initially just doing a tease with his pants down around his ankles but later on in this sordid episode he reappeared totally nude. It could be a ploy to falsely make it appear that there were two different guys engaging in this vile event. I guess it all comes down to what the guy told the cops: "I can't explain it."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:40 am
My man was initially just doing a tease with his pants down around his ankles but later on in this sordid episode he reappeared totally nude. It could be a ploy to falsely make it appear that there were two different guys engaging in this vile event. I guess it all comes down to what the guy told the cops: "I can't explain it."
Speaking of the inexplicable:
Man Who Wants To Run Oklahoma’s Schools Buys Into Bogus 'Cat Litter' Conspiracy Theory

A man who wants to run Oklahoma’s school system has pushed a claim about liberals supposedly installing litter boxes in schools to accommodate students who identify as cats, even though it’s been debunked as a myth.

Republican Ryan Walters’ comments appeared in a video posted by The Lost Ogle, an Oklahoma blog. The site said Walters was “talking to a group of fellow right-wing voters earlier this month at a meeting in Stillwater.”

“I got a call over the weekend from a former colleague and he said, ‘Ryan, I’m telling you right now...’” Walters said, before his voice trailed off a bit.

”Have you heard about the litter boxes stuff?” he then asked the audience.

“This was a legitimate faculty meeting where the counselors and administrators were talking to the staff ― are you ready? ― about whether they should allow litter boxes in the bathrooms for kids that identify as cats,” he said. An unseen audience member can be heard among the audible reactions saying, “Oh my God.”
:angry-banghead:
Walters then finished up the anecdote by returning to his former colleague’s reaction.

“And my buddy said, ‘Hey, I’m just going to tell you, I’m not teaching anymore if that happens. Like, I love teaching, it’s my passion, but I’m out of here. Like that is such a sense of, like, nonsense, I can’t pretend that that’s right. I’m out of here,’” Walters said....
Quit now, you are too stupid and dangerous to be allowed to teach. RepuQs like Ryan Walters are bigots and idiots, which may just put him over the top in the Oklahoma state school superintendent race. :problem:

Comments:
I live in CO, where the "litter boxes" myth sort of began. It actually is based in reality, but for an entirely different reason - litter boxes or buckets were proposed as something classrooms should have on hand in case of a school shooting or bomb threat, because lockdowns can sometimes last for hours and sometimes people really, really need to pee, even when the timing isn't ideal. In other words, these GOP creeps are mocking kids over emergency measures they may have to take in case someone threatens to or actually does come in and start shooting up their school. How compassionate and Christian of them.
Not verified by me, but sure sounds plausible.
Huh, a candidate for State School Superintendent that never learned how to vet his sources when writing a paper or preparing for a public speech. Now he wants to be in charge of the education system in Oklahoma. What could possibly go wrong?
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I know it's been said before, but America is doomed. I figure I've got ten or fifteen years and hate to consider what it may present. Especially since by then I won't be able to do much stomping and maybe not even any fish slapping. But that shit would be prohibited (cancelled) probably before I became disabled.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:05 pm
Man Who Wants To Run Oklahoma’s Schools Buys Into Bogus 'Cat Litter' Conspiracy Theory

Quit now, you are too stupid and dangerous to be allowed to teach. RepuQs like Ryan Walters are bigots and idiots, which may just put him over the top in the Oklahoma state school superintendent race. :problem:

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:16 pm
I know it's been said before, but America is doomed. I figure I've got ten or fifteen years and hate to consider what it may present. Especially since by then I won't be able to do much stomping and maybe not even any fish slapping. But that shit would be prohibited (cancelled) probably before I became disabled.
Yep. "Cat litter box" Ryan Walters won Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction 57-43. :angry-banghead: If I lived in Oklahoma I would send him a bag of cat litter every month and maybe organize others to do the same.

White teacher in Texas fired after telling students his race is ‘the superior one’

Well, your "superior" White ass is so stupid and cruel that you got yourself fired, something that has not happened to the vast majority of non-White teachers there. Suburban/urban Austin's Pflugerville Independent School District students by race:
African-American 15.5%
Hispanic 48.3%
White 22.8%
Native American 0.2%
Asian/Pacific Islander 8.5%
Two or More Races 4.8%

Idiot. Is it genetic?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:05 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Yep. "Cat litter box" Ryan Walters won Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction 57-43. :angry-banghead: If I lived in Oklahoma I would send him a bag of cat litter every month and maybe organize others to do the same.

White teacher in Texas fired after telling students his race is ‘the superior one’

Well, your "superior" White ass is so stupid and cruel that you got yourself fired, something that has not happened to the vast majority of non-White teachers there. Suburban/urban Austin's Pflugerville Independent School District students by race:
African-American 15.5%
Hispanic 48.3%
White 22.8%
Native American 0.2%
Asian/Pacific Islander 8.5%
Two or More Races 4.8%

Idiot. Is it genetic?
Wasn't he just saying that many of us struggle with our racist beliefs?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 pm
Apparently the students, parents and District didn't interpret it that way. IMO, it's not appropriate to have a teacher that thinks Whites (or any race) are "superior". I sure don't think they are.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 pm
Apparently the students, parents and District didn't interpret it that way. IMO, it's not appropriate to have a teacher that thinks Whites (or any race) are "superior". I sure don't think they are.
I imagine that the District knew what he was trying to say. They also knew that it wasn't an appropriate discussion for High School or Middle School. In other words, we don’t care what you imagined, it sounds like you are promoting rasism.

O Really
Admiral

Headline is scary - "music teacher accused of sexually assaulting at least 10 students..."

Story is even more scary - "the children reported feeling extremely uncomfortable..." "uncomfortable" equates to "assault"?

“multiple counts of sexual assault and annoying or molesting a child under the age of 12" "annoying or molesting"? Most would think there's a big difference.

This guy may be hard core pervert for all I know, and "feeling uncomfortable" may have involved having them grab his weenie, but on the surface it looks like a hatchet job.
Paloma Chavez
Wed, November 23, 2022 at 11:46 AM
A music teacher accused of sexually assaulting at least 10 students at a California school was arrested, police said.

On Nov. 7, San Jose police were called to the Adelante Dual Language Academy to investigate a teacher reportedly having “inappropriate contact with several minors at the school,” according to a Nov. 22 news release from the San Jose Police Department.

Israel Santiago, a music teacher at the school in San Jose, is accused of sexually assaulting at least 10 students in the band room, according to the release. He was arrested Nov. 21.

“The children reported feeling extremely uncomfortable,” according to a news release from the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office.

“This individual has not been present on any district property since Nov. 1 and they were directed by the District to not have any contact with students, faculty, or other district employees,” Alum Rock School District Superintendent Hilaria Bauer told McClatchy News.

McClatchy News also reached out to the Adelante Dual Language Academy on Nov. 23 and was awaiting a response.

The 43-year-old teacher was arrested Nov. 21 after detectives presented the case to the District Attorney’s Office, police said.

An arrest warrant was issued for Santiago for “multiple counts of sexual assault and annoying or molesting a child under the age of 12,” police said.

The arrest was delayed because the school initially called children’s services instead of police, according to CBS News Bay Area.

Santiago, who is on administrative leave, is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 28, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

“It’s mystifying when people misuse their positions of authority and trust over small children,” District Attorney Jeff Rosen said in the news release. “My office will come down with the full weight of the law on those who abuse children.”

Detectives believe there could be more victims, police said.

If anyone has information about the incidents, San Jose police ask them to call 408-537-1381.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Thom Hartmann

https://open.substack.com/pub/thomhartm ... dium=email

Why Public Schools Are On the GOP’s Hit List

Umberto Eco, seeing the rise of Mussolini, noted in his “14 indicators of fascism” dumbing down the populace by lowering educational standards was critical to producing a compliant populace

“I tell the story often — I get asked ‘Who’s the most dangerous person in the world? Is it Chairman Kim, is it Xi Jinping?’” Pompeo told Semafor’s Shelby Talcott.

“The most dangerous person in the world is Randi Weingarten. It’s not a close call. If you ask, ‘Who’s the most likely to take this republic down?’ It would be the teacher’s unions, and the filth that they’re teaching our kids…”

Why would an educated man have such antipathy toward public school teachers?

Public schools are on the GOP’s hit list, just as they were in Chile during the Pinochet regime, and for the same reasons:

— Fascism flourishes when people are ignorant.

— Private for-profit schools are an efficient way to transfer billions from tax revenues into the coffers of “education entrepreneurs” who then recycle that money into Republican political campaigns (just like they’ve done with private for-profit prisons).

(As David Koch said in 1980)
"We condemn compulsory education laws … and we call for the immediate repeal of such laws,” proclaimed his platform. “We advocate the complete separation of education and State. Government schools lead to the indoctrination of children and interfere with the free choice of individuals. Government ownership, operation, regulation, and subsidy of schools and colleges should be ended.”

O Really
Admiral

Trump loves the poorly educated.

There's a reason the taliban won't let girls/women go to school.

There's a reason white people used to not let slaves learn to read.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

And there was a reason that back in the day the only people who could read and write were priests.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:20 am
Trump loves the poorly educated.

There's a reason the taliban won't let girls/women go to school.

There's a reason white people used to not let slaves learn to read.
Sorry, but you triggered NY Randy Newman from before his Toy Story days

correction
I don't know about the "northern negro" reference randy Newman "Rednecks" but more accurately it was most southern white people. who would not allow slaves to read, or write.
About 10% of slaves were literate

Last night I saw Lester Maddox on a TV show
With some smart a** New York Jew
And the Jew laughed at Lester Maddox
And the audience laughed at Lester Maddox too
Well he may be a fool but he's our fool
If they think they're better than him they're wrong
So I went to the park and I took some paper along
And that's where I made this song
We talk real funny down here
We drink too much and we laugh too loud
We're too dumb to make it in no Northern town
And we're keepin' the n*****s down
We got no necked oilmen from Texas
And good ol' boys from Tennessee
And colleges men from LSU
Went in dumb, come out dumb too
Hustlin' 'round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecues
And they're keepin' the n*****s down
We are rednecks, we're rednecks
We don't know our a**
From a hole in the ground
We're rednecks, we're rednecks
And we're keeping the n*****s down
Now your northern n*****'s a negro
You see he's got his dignity
Down here we're too ignorant to realize
That the North has set the n***** free
Yes he's free to be put in a cage
In Harlem in New York City
And he's free to be put in a cage
On the South Side of Chicago
And the West Side
In Hough in Cleveland
In East St. Louis
In Fillmore in San Francisco
In Roxbury in Boston
They're gatherin' 'em up from miles around
Keepin' the n*****s down
We don't know our a**
From a hole in the ground
We're keeping the n*****s down
We are keeping the n*****s down

Randiy caught a lot of crap for his lyrics from people who didn't understand him. This was especially true of his Short People song. It was about the idiocy of discrimination, but the media went off on him for attacking short people.

I guess he thought he had an educated audience.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:31 am

I guess he thought he had an educated audience.
Many have made that mistake, despite there never ever having been any evidence the greater population is actually "educated."

Random thought: I'm not so sure it's really progress that it's no longer acceptable in a lyrics reprint to spell out a word that was used in a song in 1974. I'm kinda surprised the video renditions of the song aren't blipped. Nobody seems to realize it's not the word that's the problem.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:22 am
... Random thought: I'm not so sure it's really progress that it's no longer acceptable in a lyrics reprint to spell out a word that was used in a song in 1974. I'm kinda surprised the video renditions of the song aren't blipped. Nobody seems to realize it's not the word that's the problem.
It's not all of them, first lyrics I clicked on:
https://genius.com/Randy-newman-rednecks-lyrics
1312. ETTD.