Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I have a 30 something guy who works for me about 20 hours per week. He's a real hard worker, self starter, and if shown what to do one time,he's got it. He can read a tape and I guess I must have been doing the math, because today I asked him to cut some studs 5" less than what we measured. After several failed attempts, I asked him if he could subtract 5" from 8". He studied the tape for a minute before saying, "no".

I feel so sorry for the man.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:58 pm
I have a 30 something guy who works for me about 20 hours per week. He's a real hard worker, self starter, and if shown what to do one time,he's got it. He can read a tape and I guess I must have been doing the math, because today I asked him to cut some studs 5" less than what we measured. After several failed attempts, I asked him if he could subtract 5" from 8". He studied the tape for a minute before saying, "no".

That's shocking, and depressing.

Speaking of shocking and depressing, good analysis of what Fascist DerSantis and the GQP are up to, and it's scary:

Conservatives angry about school ‘indoctrination’ are telling on themselves
Ideologues like Ron DeSantis aren’t angry at politics in education; they’re angry their politics don’t have a monopoly

:problem: :(
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:39 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:58 pm

That's shocking, and depressing.

Speaking of shocking and depressing, good analysis of what Fascist DerSantis and the GQP are up to, and it's scary:

Conservatives angry about school ‘indoctrination’ are telling on themselves
Ideologues like Ron DeSantis aren’t angry at politics in education; they’re angry their politics don’t have a monopoly

:problem: :(
And then there's this bs from fox where religious indoctrination is called classical education. It's seen a 53% enrollment increase while woke educational schools are down 13%.

Read their bullshit here

https://www.foxnews.com/media/woke-curr ... plications
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Bullshit indeed. Even assuming the numbers are accurate (a sketchy assumption in itself), it's a long way to finding causation, i.e. enrollment being down in the so-called "woke" universities because they're "woke". It also didn't mention that enrollment at the HBCU's was also up, as was enrollment at the most selective universities (many of which are also among the most "woke.")

Fox will say anything, and Fox fans will believe it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:49 pm
Bullshit indeed. Even assuming the numbers are accurate (a sketchy assumption in itself), it's a long way to finding causation, i.e. enrollment being down in the so-called "woke" universities because they're "woke". It also didn't mention that enrollment at the HBCU's was also up, as was enrollment at the most selective universities (many of which are also among the most "woke.")

Faux Noise doesn't like my AdBlock, so I'll do a little guessing.

I'll bet it doesn't mention that lower public school enrollment is hardly surprising when we have the lowest UE since 1969 (thanks Joe!). When everyone can get a job, often well paying ones, there's less incentive for college.

I'll bet it doesn't mention that public school enrollment still far far outnumbers the enrollment at xtian madrassas. Hillsdale College has some unique PR advantages in Fascist DerSantis and Pat Sajak. Are all xtian madrassas doing as well?

Finally, I believe the cost of public education has been rising dramatically, partially due to GQP budget cuts. Hence, the student loan crisis. What are the costs of public schools vs xtian madrassas, and can that be linked to enrollment?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:49 pm

Faux Noise doesn't like my AdBlock, so I'll do a little guessing.

I'll bet it doesn't mention that lower public school enrollment is hardly surprising when we have the lowest UE since 1969 (thanks Joe!). When everyone can get a job, often well paying ones, there's less incentive for college.

I'll bet it doesn't mention that public school enrollment still far far outnumbers the enrollment at xtian madrassas. Hillsdale College has some unique PR advantages in Fascist DerSantis and Pat Sajak. Are all xtian madrassas doing as well?

Finally, I believe the cost of public education has been rising dramatically, partially due to GQP budget cuts. Hence, the student loan crisis. What are the costs of public schools vs xtian madrassas, and can that be linked to enrollment?
What did Sajak do?

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 am

What did Sajak do?
Outside of his Wheel of Fortune hosting duties, he's a bit of a right wing loon and on the Board of Hillsdale College.
Daughter Maggie went to Princeton, however, certainly no bastion of right wing incubation.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Closeted RWNJ.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:14 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

What did Sajak do?
Outside of his Wheel of Fortune hosting duties, he's a bit of a right wing loon and on the Board of Hillsdale College.
Daughter Maggie went to Princeton, however, certainly no bastion of right wing incubation.
I have never been a Wheel of Fortune fan, but he was one of the best weathermen WSM ever had.
Didn't know about the Hillsdale crap. Very bad on pat. Getting rich ruins so many.
I did read about the Greene woman forcing herself onto him for a photo in a restaurant.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
What did Sajak do?
What O Really and GoCubsGo say though I'd call him extreme and out of the closet.
viewtopic.php?p=174234&hilit=Sajak#p174234

He seems happy with the EmptyG photo op:

Solve this, Pat :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:31 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
What did Sajak do?
What O Really and GoCubsGo say though I'd call him extreme and out of the closet.
viewtopic.php?p=174234&hilit=Sajak#p174234

He seems happy with the EmptyG photo op:

Solve this, Pat :obscene-birdiered:
She came to his table and asked for a photo. I bet he's gone alone with a lot of photos with people he didagreed with.

May there should be more context than - he's smiling

Edit: his hillsdale bs is a serious complaint against his character, unlike an out of context photo.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 am
She came to his table and asked for a photo. I bet he's gone alone with a lot of photos with people he didagreed with.

May there should be more context than - he's smiling

Edit: his hillsdale bs is a serious complaint against his character, unlike an out of context photo.
Is it "out of context" or context revealing?
'Wheel of Fortune'
Pat Sajak Ripped for Photo with MTG
... Old Tweets Resurface

Pat Sajak posing for a photo with Marjorie Taylor Greene is getting double takes on the internet -- especially after old tweets of his have resurfaced that are raising eyebrows.

The "Wheel of Fortune" host stood shoulder to shoulder with the Georgia congresswoman and Right Side Broadcasting Network reporter Brian Glenn in a photo that popped up out of nowhere Saturday....

The fact he's there with them at all -- especially Rep. Greene, smiling from ear to ear -- is enough for folks to be ripping him on Twitter ... which they absolutely are.

The reactions are brutal ... people are saying that Pat's showing his true colors here, and some are even vowing to boycott his iconic game show because of this. One person jokingly said Pat was pictured here with Vanna Whitesupremacist -- a reference to ... well, you get it.
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸
@patriottakes

It the past, it looks like Pat Sajak trended on Twitter for calling climate activists, “unpatriotic racists.”

How nice of Pat Sajak to show his true colors. Spin that Wheel of Fortune

Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

There is no context to the photo, it's no different than thousands of other photos of celebrities and politicians snagged in public places for a photo. If anything, it show a cordial guy.
If more, point it out.

There is damning context to being on the hillsdale board.

Edit: photos aren't always worth a thousand words

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... n-1333556/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:04 pm
There is no context to the photo, it's no different than thousands of other photos of celebrities and politicians snagged in public places for a photo. If anything, it show a cordial guy.
If more, point it out.

Faux Noise didn't take or publish the Axis of Evil photo, thus it's already more trustworthy.

Everything we know about Pat says that playing nice with EmptyG is perfectly within the context of the christofascist Sajak. No one is oblivious as to who the hateful nutjob EmptyG is.

The other guy:

Right Side Broadcasting Network
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:20 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
If more, point it out.

There is damning context to being on the hillsdale board....
Everything we know about Pat says that playing nice with EmptyG is perfectly within the context of the christofascist Sajak. No one is oblivious as to who the hateful nutjob EmptyG is.

The other guy:

Whatever.
If you see context in a single photo, all fine for you.

I like to think that I learned something about him from his little asides on his weather forecast over roughly a thousand times. He came across as a compassionate person

I haven't followed him since.

To me;
the greene photo means nothing
being on the hillsdale board points to scumbag.

O Really
Admiral

Celebrities get their pics made all the time with random strangers and with people they want to be associated with. They don't usually pose for pics with people they are opposed to, at least in part because of the likely reaction of their fans. Sure the pic could be fake, but if it's real I think it's not a stretch to say that Pat's hanging with moon-barkers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
If more, point it out.

Faux Noise didn't take or publish the Axis of Evil photo, thus it's already more trustworthy.

The other guy:

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:39 pm
Whatever.
If you see context in a single photo, all fine for you.

I like to think that I learned something about him from his little asides on his weather forecast over roughly a thousand times. He came across as a compassionate person

I haven't followed him since.

To me;
the greene photo means nothing
being on the hillsdale board points to scumbag.
Whatever.

What O Really says and for the third time christofascist Sajak IS the context. The pic is merely illustrative. As the GQP has taught us and you often point out, symbols matter.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:43 pm
Celebrities get their pics made all the time with random strangers and with people they want to be associated with. They don't usually pose for pics with people they are opposed to, at least in part because of the likely reaction of their fans. Sure the pic could be fake, but if it's real I think it's not a stretch to say that Pat's hanging with moon-barkers.
It's a real pic.

As I said, my 3 years of listening to a much younger Sajak and knowing some of his friends showed a much different person that ran counter to right winger.
The hillsdale position has been throughly vetted by the fake school and I see it as damning
An out of context single picture of a smiling sajak (have you ever seen him not smiling?) allowing fan to take a picture with him doesn't say much. Although I do see it as icing on the cake of his rightwingness for those who have never seen his Nashville self.

And what does this right side broadcasting have to do with anything

O Really
Admiral

We enjoy "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" and whatever Pat's politics doesn't affect that as his on-screen personality is entertaining and fun. However, in a time when it's fine to lambaste somebody as a racist because they once dressed as a black guy at a costume party, the Pat/EmptyG pic does seem more compelling evidence of actual support of the EmptyG cause.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:13 pm
It's a real pic.
:headscratch: Then why bring up a fake video?
As I said, my 3 years of listening to a much younger Sajak and knowing some of his friends showed a much different person that ran counter to right winger.
The hillsdale position has been throughly vetted by the fake school and I see it as damning
An out of context single picture of a smiling sajak (have you ever seen him not smiling?) allowing fan to take a picture with him doesn't say much. Although I do see it as icing on the cake of his rightwingness for those who have never seen his Nashville self.
:thumbup: That's been my point all along.
And what does this right side broadcasting have to do with anything
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:58 am
Is it "out of context" or context revealing?
'Wheel of Fortune'
Pat Sajak Ripped for Photo with MTG
... Old Tweets Resurface

... The "Wheel of Fortune" host stood shoulder to shoulder with the Georgia congresswoman and Right Side Broadcasting Network reporter Brian Glenn in a photo that popped up out of nowhere Saturday....

... The reactions are brutal ... people are saying that Pat's showing his true colors here, and some are even vowing to boycott his iconic game show because of this. One person jokingly said Pat was pictured here with Vanna Whitesupremacist -- a reference to ... well, you get it....
Vrede too wrote:
... The other guy:

1312. ETTD.