The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Wneglia »

O Really wrote:Nope. Can't improve on fresh, right off the stalk corn.
Wrap in wax paper (no, not Glad Wrap)
Microwave for 2 minutes per ear.
Enjoy.
Ever try Microwave in husk?
Works pretty well.

:mrgreen:

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Wneglia wrote:
O Really wrote:Nope. Can't improve on fresh, right off the stalk corn.
Wrap in wax paper (no, not Glad Wrap)
Microwave for 2 minutes per ear.
Enjoy.
Ever try Microwave in husk?
Works pretty well.

I may try it, but I'm think three and a half minutes would be overcooked for my taste. (Who has actually eaten some raw while walking back from the field) Pretty cool not having to de-husk, though.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I usually throw it directly on the grill in husk, peel off the outermost layer, trim the top and bottom and flip them once as the husk turns brown. Good, fresh corn really doesn't need to be cooked, just heated.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:Good, fresh corn really doesn't need to be cooked, just heated.
:clap: :clap:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Got real hungry and conjured up summadis:

1) avacado
2) Mexican cheese blend
3) chives
4) lemon juice
5) tortillas

Squish everything together into the from of a quesadilla. Grill like you would a grilled cheese sammich. Eat
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:... Who has actually eaten some (corn) raw while walking back from the field ...
Depending on the freshness, ripeness and variety, not even heated.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... Who has actually eaten some (corn) raw while walking back from the field ...
Depending on the freshness, ripeness and variety, not even heated.
I've been known to eat raw baked beans straight from the can.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:America's favorite pizza chains...http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/f ... ss-AA8ETey
Pizza Hut and Dominos numbers 1 &2....... :thumbdown: says something about 'Merica that doesn't make me to proud.

Give me a good mom and pop pizzeria any day.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Self selecting, not scientific, open to ballot box stuffing, not adjusted for numbers and concentrations of outlets.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Self selecting, not scientific, open to ballot box stuffing, not adjusted for numbers and concentrations of outlets.
Sure - as are all the "top howmany of whatever." But still...

It wasn't many years ago that Domino's was on TV admitting they had lousy pizza and talking about new chefs with new recipes. I haven't been to Pizza Hut in probably 25 years, but they did used to make a decent pie if you stayed away from the funky stuff. I can vouch for the Mello, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sustainable Seafood Grocery Store Scorecard

My usuals are not ranked, Ingles and the Hooterville Co-op (of course). If I was buying seafood at all and didn't have the Co-op, I might switch to Food Lion.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

O Really wrote: It wasn't many years ago that Domino's was on TV admitting they had lousy pizza and talking about new chefs with new recipes. I haven't been to Pizza Hut in probably 25 years, but they did used to make a decent pie if you stayed away from the funky stuff. I can vouch for the Mello, though.
Believe it or not, I find Little Caesars $5 pepperoni pizza right choicey, No fake ingredients, just bread, cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Their supreme pizzas aren't to bad either, certainly not as pricey as top name pizza. I agree with the assessment of Mom & Pop's pizza too. Somehow I just can't cotton to dead minnows, ham, pineapple, and a few other choice additives being put on pizza. It just ain't right.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Sustainable Seafood Grocery Store Scorecard

My usuals are not ranked, Ingles and the Hooterville Co-op (of course). If I was buying seafood at all and didn't have the Co-op, I might switch to Food Lion.
Example of how you have to pick and choose your causes. You're going to buy your fish from the Wal-Mart of grocers in regard to labor practices and general sleaziness.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote: It wasn't many years ago that Domino's was on TV admitting they had lousy pizza and talking about new chefs with new recipes. I haven't been to Pizza Hut in probably 25 years, but they did used to make a decent pie if you stayed away from the funky stuff. I can vouch for the Mello, though.
Believe it or not, I find Little Caesars $5 pepperoni pizza right choicey, No fake ingredients, just bread, cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Their supreme pizzas aren't to bad either, certainly not as pricey as top name pizza. I agree with the assessment of Mom & Pop's pizza too. Somehow I just can't cotton to dead minnows, ham, pineapple, and a few other choice additives being put on pizza. It just ain't right.
Peperonni and onions man. That's my stuff right there. Simple, yet refined.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Seth Milner wrote: Believe it or not, I find Little Caesars $5 pepperoni pizza right choicey, No fake ingredients, just bread, cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Their supreme pizzas aren't to bad either, certainly not as pricey as top name pizza. I agree with the assessment of Mom & Pop's pizza too. Somehow I just can't cotton to dead minnows, ham, pineapple, and a few other choice additives being put on pizza. It just ain't right.
I love dead minnows on the French version of pizza, Pissaladiere, which I often cook.

O Really
Admiral

The only reason my personal rule is to eat pizza only in NY or NJ isn't because there aren't other worthy pies. It's because pizza is high calorie, high fat, and high sodium. I don't eat a lot of salt and one pizza can bloat me up 5+ pounds for most of a week. Other than that, I'd eat pizza several times a week. Sometimes fresh, sometimes cold for breakfast. With pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushrooms, extra cheese, onions, green peppers, and anchovies.
And chased with a lot of 1554.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Gotta love the artisan pies like you get at West First Pizza........

http://flatrockwoodfired.com/restaurant/menu.html
We are committed to quality, freshness, & wholesome food at West First & the Flat Rock Village Bakery. We bake all of our organic breads in our wood-fired brick oven. Our 30% whole-wheat pizza doughs & organic pastas are all made by hand.

We use authentic Prosciutto di Parma and make our own fennel sausage. We use only organic field greens and loads of fresh herbs & produce. Everything is made fresh from scratch daily.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Sustainable Seafood Grocery Store Scorecard

Example of how you have to pick and choose your causes. You're going to buy your fish from the Wal-Mart of grocers in regard to labor practices and general sleaziness.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

"If ... might". Hard to find any serious issue with buying from the Co-op.
1312. ETTD.