The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:33 pm
I got a meal at McDonalds for the first time in years when I was in Lisbon. I was hungry and wanted something quick and easy and McDonald's did me good.

Not gonna lie though, a bacon egg and cheese bagel from McDonald's is still good.
I bet if you look there are better local places that not only serve better food, but treat their employees better.
"quick and easy" can sometimes be difficult abroad, and even McDonald's employees have better legal and social protections in European nations.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's not that McDonald's doesn't have some good food. Especially breakfast items. But if I want a burger, I've got Angelo's https://angelosburgers.com/
If I want a burrito or fish taco I've got a dozen places where the owners and the food are as authentic as you can get. If I want fish 'n chips I've got Harbor Fish Cafe oceanfront https://www.harborfishcafe.com/ If I want chicken, I've got El Pollo Loco https://www.elpolloloco.com/ which is a chain, but in SoCal only. And if I want pizza I've got a bunch of non-chain choices, some of which win national recognition. No need to go to the same ol' same ol' food places and get same ol' same ol' food.

I don't usually pick my food places by how well the employees are treated, though. Probably wouldn't ever go out.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

And if I want a corn dog, it's the gas station up the street.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Oh yeah - you've mentioned being a QT connesseur

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:01 pm
And if I want a corn dog, it's the gas station up the street.
Baton Rouge smells like corn dogs.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:08 pm
I have a taste for the (cheap and convenient) finer things in life.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:05 am
O Really wrote:
Have you tried making your own?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:10 am
Whack9 wrote:
O Really wrote:
Is it really a corn dog if it hasn't been festering for days in the dank fly infested corner of a gas station?

O Really
Admiral

I dunno, man - I've eaten some good food from street vendors in various places, and I don't know that festival food is known for its sanitation practices, and I've eaten boudin and gumbo in some really sketchy south Louisiana joints, but I've never quite got the nerve for gas station food. Something about that open rolling grill of greasy hot dogs that everybody has breathed on maybe sneezed on that has my mind telling my stomach it isn't really hungry.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:00 pm
I dunno, man - I've eaten some good food from street vendors in various places, and I don't know that festival food is known for its sanitation practices, and I've eaten boudin and gumbo in some really sketchy south Louisiana joints, but I've never quite got the nerve for gas station food. Something about that open rolling grill of greasy hot dogs that everybody has breathed on maybe sneezed on that has my mind telling my stomach it isn't really hungry.
In all seriousness it depends on the gas station for me. QT and Wawa are pretty decent if you just need something quick. I usually shy away from the shit hole gas stations. Although I did seduced by a real skanky burrito one time from some real sketchy gross gas station. I was feeling lucky that day. And lady luck was with me because I'm still here to tell the tale.

Some of the rural gas stations have hunt brothers pizza which is ok if you need something quick. I've gotten them a few times.

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:17 pm

Some of the rural gas stations have hunt brothers pizza which is ok if you need something quick. I've gotten them a few times.
I'll see your Hunt Bros and raise you one Brooklyn Boyz "Brooklyn Deluxe" Pepperoni, sausage, olive, mushrooms, peppers & onions.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:38 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
O Really wrote:
Is it really a corn dog if it hasn't been festering for days in the dank fly infested corner of a gas station?
I've been sold on fresh corndogs ever since I ate one at The Penguin in Charlotte, SC about 15 or 20 years ago. I've made them ever year since before the LSU game.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 am
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
O Really wrote:
I've been sold on fresh corndogs ever since I ate one at The Penguin in Charlotte, SC about 15 or 20 years ago. I've made them ever year since before the LSU game.
I'm gonna have to try making them sometime. I could see them being good.

Idk if this was just poor people food, or an actual thing. But we used to eat these things growing up that consists of a slice of bread, slice of cheese, hot dog laid corner-to-corner on the bread. Fold and hold it together with toothpicks and bake it in the oven.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:17 am

Idk if this was just poor people food, or an actual thing. But we used to eat these things growing up that consists of a slice of bread, slice of cheese, hot dog laid corner-to-corner on the bread. Fold and hold it together with toothpicks and bake it in the oven.
Feral pigs in a blanket.

The contrast of Whack9 the naturalist and Whack9 the dumpster diver is a source of great amusement for me.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:49 am

The contrast of Whack9 the naturalist and Whack9 the dumpster diver is a source of great amusement for me.
C'mon, he adds fresh chantarelles to his Hunt Bros and chases it with herbal tea from foraged plants.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:17 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 am
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:

Chop sticks work great
Roll dog in corn starch or the batter will fall off.
Pour batter in a tall slim glass for dipping to get more even coverage
Cook in 3 or4 inches of canola, peanut, or corn oil
Enjoy

O Really
Admiral

That sounds pretty good, billy.p. Maybe an outdoor dish? Maybe with some brown ale?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 am
That sounds pretty good, billy.p. Maybe an outdoor dish? Maybe with some brown ale?
Alexander beer are required

O Really
Admiral

So it was a fine beach day today - 75, sunny, surfers out warming up for the weekend pro tournament, not that they aren't out all the time. California can be expensive in a lot of ways, but the ones that bitch about taxes forget about free resident parking 10 yards from the sand, live entertainment, fresh fish off the boat, avocados for 50 cents or under. Which brings up the food topic. Fish monger had a good deal on fresh ahi so we had it seared lightly on each side in a soy sauce and toasted sesame honey marinade with steamed broccoli and avocado. Chased it down with a Paso Robles Viognier and a great sunset. Fuckabunch of politics, politicians, congress critters. It's good to be old.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:36 pm
So it was a fine beach day today - 75, sunny, surfers out warming up for the weekend pro tournament, not that they aren't out all the time. California can be expensive in a lot of ways, but the ones that bitch about taxes forget about free resident parking 10 yards from the sand, live entertainment, fresh fish off the boat, avocados for 50 cents or under. Which brings up the food topic. Fish monger had a good deal on fresh ahi so we had it seared lightly on each side in a soy sauce and toasted sesame honey marinade with steamed broccoli and avocado. Chased it down with a Paso Robles Viognier and a great sunset. Fuckabunch of politics, politicians, congress critters. It's good to be old.
What's on the menu for Superbowl Superbowl Sunday? I'm looking for ideas.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.