The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by O Really »

The FDA might get more response, if it does anything. I doubt many people look to Consumer Reports for recommendations on the best peeps, though.

More on Red Dye#3 here: https://www.consumerreports.org/health/ ... 467381365/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:33 am
The FDA might get more response, if it does anything. I doubt many people look to Consumer Reports for recommendations on the best peeps, though.

More on Red Dye#3 here: https://www.consumerreports.org/health/ ... 467381365/
I remember this as the first food additive that shocked me. The brouhaha was all over the news etc. Everyone seemed against this cancer causing red dye .
This was the 70s, I suppose I just assumed that it was removed from food.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Toniight I had beef filet, corn on the cob, and a baked potato. I can only describe it as zesty. While noticing the blood oozing from the filet after I'd taked in off the grill, I poindered the concept of red butter but soon abandoned it.....I figured nobody'd want to have something that looks like blood on their bread or their pancakes. So I just gave it up.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:42 pm

I remember this as the first food additive that shocked me. The brouhaha was all over the news etc. Everyone seemed against this cancer causing red dye .
This was the 70s, I suppose I just assumed that it was removed from food.
Yeah there was a lot of hoop de do about that and bha, bht, other chemically stuff. They did manage to kill off a few rats by feeding them proportionally more red#3 than a human would eat in three lifetimes, but have been woefully short on real life human damage. All that stuff is still unrestricted in Canada, and most of US although California requires a vague "may cause cancer" warning for bha/bht.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:53 pm
Toniight I had beef filet, corn on the cob, and a baked potato. I can only describe it as zesty. While noticing the blood oozing from the filet after I'd taked in off the grill, I poindered the concept of red butter but soon abandoned it.....I figured nobody'd want to have something that looks like blood on their bread or their pancakes. So I just gave it up.
Oh, I dunno. Some might

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I guess it's a thing.
Russian Compound Butter

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup shredded red beets
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon kosher salt
-0-?

https://cincyshopper.com/cranberry-butter/

Rhubarb Compound Butter

Boysenberry Butter

Raspberry Honey Butter

Red Wine Butter

:thumbup:

More
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I should have known that any sudden flash of insight I may get is only a chimera.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:05 am
I should have known that any sudden flash of insight I may get is only a chimera.
:lol:

A New Jersey Mystery: Who Dumped Hundreds of Pounds of Pasta, and Why?

:wtf: Pastafarian ritual sacrifice? All hail FSM.
Jersey, no surprise. Probably just the old governor's leftovers.
There is a lookout for a suspect named Al Dente.
But was it real pasta or an impasta??
That's using your noodle!
One of the "alleged" suspect's accomplices is listed as Mac A'roni and is known to be bent and cheesy, approach with spoons drawn.
And he was assisted by Mary Nara
That's a lot of pasta. That must've cost a pretty penne.
It was pasta expiration date.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:40 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:05 am
:lol:

A New Jersey Mystery: Who Dumped Hundreds of Pounds of Pasta, and Why?
It's a true pasta disasta. But I do think that comment about it being Christie's cast off is probably right. If I had to guess, that's the stuff that piled up while he was in intensive care after kissing trump's ass and getting covid.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:48 pm
It's a true pasta disasta. But I do think that comment about it being Christie's cast off is probably right. If I had to guess, that's the stuff that piled up while he was in intensive care after kissing trump's ass and getting covid.
:D You nailed it, but the coverup is launched:
Old Bridge pasta mystery apparently solved

... A military veteran moving out of his mother's home after her death seemingly found a stockpile of old food that she had kept in the house and apparently dumped it along the creek.
:wtf: Pasta hoarder, so much for his inheritance.
... "Once the report was generated, two public works employees arrived to clean the area. They were able to load all of the pasta in under an hour and properly dispose of it," Old Bridge Business Administrator Himanshu Shah said. "We would estimate several hundred pounds of uncooked pasta that was removed from the packaging and then dumped along the creek."

Shah said the pasta had not been cooked but had been there only "for a short time but moisture did start to soften some of the pasta."
Ah, I thought it was cooked. Not a terrible idea to keep it out of the landfill, but adjacent to a stream is a no-no. There are probably local composters that would have loved to have it.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I'd say the ants and birds will take care of most of it. Eventually. Meanwhile, I'm considering coming out with red milk, black milk, and something that looks likle milk but isn't. I can't believe I've been reduced to stuff like this. I do think the red milk will go over big with the vampire fans, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Six years trapped at sea: ‘I was beaten with barbed stingray tails and scalded by boiling water’

... Across the globe, close to 130,000 people remain trapped in forced labour on fishing vessels, according to the latest estimates from the International Labour Organization (ILO). Often deep at sea, it is a “workplace characterised by extreme isolation, hazardousness, and gaps in regulatory oversight”.

The issue has been particularly acute in Thailand, where the fishing industry is worth more than £6 billion....

According to an index produced by the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organised Crime, Thailand remained among the “worst performers” in terms of prevalence of IUU fishing in its fleet in 2021, alongside countries including Taiwan and China.

“As part of the promises to the European Union, Thailand had to amend its trafficking in persons law, to also make forced labour a crime under Thai law,” Phil Robertson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch, told a recent panel. “But so far, there’s been almost no action by the Thai authorities on issues of forced labour.”

He added that the government has done “very little” to educate law enforcement agencies about what forced labour is, contributing to a lack of “practical implementation of the law”. None of the fleet owners or captains who have committed abuses have gone to prison, for instance.

“The Thai government has been busy declaring victory, [saying] that they basically succeeded in ending this human trafficking… don’t believe it, they’re playing games,” Robertson said. “This situation is an unfinished agenda, and forced labour is still present on fishing boats that are going from Thai ports.” ...
:puke-left: :cry:

Thailand just voted for near revolutionary progressive change, but Idk if it will affect the fishing fleet and other oppressed labor.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I read a book about this sort of thing a few years ago. It's apparently a big problem. And when you're out at sea, you can't just decide to leave.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Thanks to the color green we all eat sunshine."
https://www.pbs.org/video/forces-nature ... ode-3-pbs/

:think: :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

"Why did the Victorians eat mummies from Egypt?"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wh ... 16#image=1
Spoiler:
Because they were superior to those produced locally. Ba Da Boom.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:58 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wh ... 16#image=1
Spoiler:

Ewww.

(And they were effing dumb. Healing powers? )
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:58 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wh ... s-AA1cSywE
Spoiler:
Or not.
Spoiler:
Demand for mummies surpassed supply

As a result, mummies soon were in high demand, so much so that there weren't enough to go around. However, unscrupulous businessmen at the time had no qualms with robbing graves and make fake mummies to sell to those looking for the precious mumia medicine.
Mum-mummy, all the same.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

TIL🤔😃

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:47 pm
TIL 🤔 😃
:thumbup: Something else:

Medical Mysteries: A surgeon's ominous pain and a question of grilled meat

Spoiler:

Wire brushes used to clean grills can shed bristles that are then ingested when they stick to the next grilled food :o . Use solid scrapers or balled aluminum, instead.
1312. ETTD.