INVESTING

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Tertius
Squadron Leader

INVESTING

Unread post by Tertius »

Your tips, thoughts, strategies. Try to keep politics out except for how it impacts your investing ideas. Focus on preserving capital and return on investment.

Feel free to ask questions. Try to make answers serious and to the point.

Link and summarize long articles in your own words.

Remember rule number 3.

Lets try to have one ongoing discussion that any can learn and profit from.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Re: INVESTING

Unread post by Tertius »

A very bad Friday. What happened? I took the wife to the mountains and the market ran in a ditch.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Tertius wrote:Your tips, thoughts, strategies. Try to keep politics out except for how it impacts your investing ideas. Focus on preserving capital and return on investment.

Remember rule number 3.

Democratic president if office, go all in. It's never failed me yet. Stay conservative in the stock market when there is a republican in office.

Yep, totally serious.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

bannination wrote:
Tertius wrote:Your tips, thoughts, strategies. Try to keep politics out except for how it impacts your investing ideas. Focus on preserving capital and return on investment.

Remember rule number 3.

Democratic president if office, go all in. It's never failed me yet. Stay conservative in the stock market when there is a republican in office.

Yep, totally serious.
I'm always conservative. As long as a company's ability to pay its dividend is secure I don't worry too much about price. Across the board decreases in price says the trading mob sold. Individual sudden price drops can signal trouble within an individual company.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Tertius wrote:
bannination wrote:

Remember rule number 3.

Yep, totally serious.
I'm always conservative. As long as a company's ability to pay its dividend is secure I don't worry too much about price. Across the board decreases in price says the trading mob sold. Individual sudden price drops can signal trouble within an individual company.
The key is determining whether the sudden price drop is trouble with the company or a stock investors *perception* of trouble with the company.

Tertius
Squadron Leader

Unread post by Tertius »

Well if the balance sheet, cash flow positive are solid and the company appears to be able to be profitable the question is did you pay too much. If when you purchase a stock the yield is good and the above is true then the purchase price was likely fair. In such cases automatic reinvestment of dividends is a good way to build capital in a falling market.

Prices are more often than not irrational. Which is why investing in "growth" stocks can be a gamble.