It's the economy, stupid.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: It's the economy, stupid.

Unread post by Whack9 »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:16 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:51 am
Tariff man strikes!

The floors I'm installing in my house have gone up in price! The lady explained that the price increase is due to tariffs taking effect. Says she's had to spend a lot of her time explaining to customers why some of the materials have increased in price. This is the first tangible effect I've experienced from the tariffs. Or maybe just the first I've noticed.

She's bullshitting you; I bet she already had that stock and bought it at the old price and is just trying to make more money on now that she can; just like the way the opponents of this said would happen.
That's possible. Or the supplier is bullshitting her. Supposedly they have to order the materials and don't keep them in stock. Supposed to take a few days to arrive.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Chick-fil-A store owner raises minimum wage to $17 an hour "living wage"
    The owner of a Chick-fil-A location in Sacramento, California, calls it a "living wage." In Eric Mason's view, that would be $17 or $18 an hour, which is what he vows he'll be paying his workers, starting Monday, June 4. The rate represents a sizable increase for employees now making $12 to $13 an hour.

"As the owner, I'm looking at it big-picture and long-term," Mason told a local news station. "What that does for the business is provide consistency, someone that has relationships with our guests, and it's going to be building a long-term culture."

The idea, Mason said, is to hire workers -- he prefers "hospitality professionals" -- who will stick around, a worthwhile goal for a brand known for its customer service that's in an industry that had a 73 percent turnover rate in 2016, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
      https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chick-fil- ... H-zHomf_4U

neoplacebo
      Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Commendable. A fine chicken boss it is that spurts a little ethical responsibility. With any luck, his actions will precipitate a contagion of ethics, or what the GOP would call a plague, throughout the industry.

1 CAT FAN
      Ensign

Chick-fil-A to Become 3rd Largest Restaurant Chain, Despite Being Closed on Sundays
        Chick-fil-A will reach No. 3 “despite all the controversy and despite the fact that it’s closed on Sundays,” she said.
        Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy decided to close on Sundays in 1946 when he opened the first restaurant in Hapeville, Ga., according to the Chick-fil-A website.
        “Having worked seven days a week in restaurants open 24 hours, Truett saw the importance of closing on Sundays so that he and his employees could set aside one day to rest and worship if they choose – a practice we uphold today,” the website says.
        Jodee Morgan, senior director of culture and talent operations for Chick-fil-A, said in a 2017 interview that the policy has benefited the company.
        “Despite being open only six out of seven days a week, we've been able to consistently generate more sales than competitors who are open every day,” Morgan said. “And I do think customers appreciate our policy. I know our employees do.”
          https://www.christianheadlines.com/cont ... Ht7LQ9uqSA

billy.pilgrim
          Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
          Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:21 am
          Chick-fil-A to Become 3rd Largest Restaurant Chain, Despite Being Closed on Sundays
            Chick-fil-A will reach No. 3 “despite all the controversy and despite the fact that it’s closed on Sundays,” she said.
            Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy decided to close on Sundays in 1946 when he opened the first restaurant in Hapeville, Ga., according to the Chick-fil-A website.
            “Having worked seven days a week in restaurants open 24 hours, Truett saw the importance of closing on Sundays so that he and his employees could set aside one day to rest and worship if they choose – a practice we uphold today,” the website says.
            Jodee Morgan, senior director of culture and talent operations for Chick-fil-A, said in a 2017 interview that the policy has benefited the company.
            “Despite being open only six out of seven days a week, we've been able to consistently generate more sales than competitors who are open every day,” Morgan said. “And I do think customers appreciate our policy. I know our employees do.”
              https://www.christianheadlines.com/cont ... Ht7LQ9uqSA

Even with that wonderful old testament pick and choosie hate you love so much, it's the heavy salt brine process, along with the highest msg content in the industry that make this holy christian flavor a not so good life choice.
              Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
              Admiral of the Fleet

That's where the faith comes in.

Vrede too
              Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
              Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:04 pm
              Even with that wonderful old testament pick and choosie hate you love so much, it's the heavy salt brine process, along with the highest msg content in the industry that make this holy christian flavor a not so good life choice.
              neoplacebo wrote:
              Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm
              :lol:

Why is it a bragging point to be in the company of Subway, McDonald’s, Starbucks and Burger King, and to be so popular among America's most self-destructive diners?
              A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
              -- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
              1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
              Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
              Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 pm
              billy.pilgrim wrote:
              Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:04 pm
              neoplacebo wrote:
              Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm
              :lol:

Why is it a bragging point to be in the company of Subway, McDonald’s, Starbucks and Burger King, and to be so popular among America's most self-destructive diners?
              Don't panic Vrede, those restaurants probably have internet capabilities (WiFi) and they're open on Sunday for your dining pleasure. Take the smart phone and the family with you.
                Last edited by 1 CAT FAN on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

neoplacebo
                Admiral of the Fleet

I never eat on Sundays but instead indulge in religious sacraments of varying quality and intensity. That way I don't get any sauce on me.

Vrede too
                Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
                Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 am
                I never eat on Sundays but instead indulge in religious sacraments of varying quality and intensity. That way I don't get any sauce on me.
                :D

I always eat fast food on Sundays, Coke and french fries are my sacraments. The servers always give me a funny look when I say, "Bless you, too."
                1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
                Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
                Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:48 am
                neoplacebo wrote:
                Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 am
                :D

I always eat fast food on Sundays, Coke and french fries are my sacraments. The servers always give me a funny look when I say, "Bless you, too."
                I have a problem with the term "fast food" because it seems like an oxymoron to me. I mean, "fast" means "not eating" and "food" just don't go with that. So come on, all you disciples, acolytes, false witnesses, hangers on, and ecclesiastical wannabes.....stop with the misleading terminology already. Damn

Vrede too
                Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
                Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:39 am
                I have a problem with the term "fast food" because it seems like an oxymoron to me. I mean, "fast" means "not eating" and "food" just don't go with that. So come on, all you disciples, acolytes, false witnesses, hangers on, and ecclesiastical wannabes.....stop with the misleading terminology already. Damn
                A lot of people are confused on this point. My shunning all other food besides that which is unhealthy and vile, like Chick-fil-A is Mon-Sat, is the "fast". So, the McDonald’s I gorge on is literally food or the fast or, in shorthand, "fast food". :angel4:

I have a problem with you questioning my religious practice and interpretation. I didn't ridicule your Sauceless Sundays, even though I find the rite to be bizarre, blasphemous and disgusting. :puke-left:

Gore your own oxymoron . . . mmmm, ox burgers. :-||
                1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
                Ensign

Most folks take time to go inside restaurants.

neoplacebo
                  Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
                  Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:18 pm
                  neoplacebo wrote:
                  Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:39 am
                  A lot of people are confused on this point. My shunning all other food besides that which is unhealthy and vile, like Chick-fil-A is Mon-Sat, is the "fast". So, the McDonald’s I gorge on is literally food or the fast or, in shorthand, "fast food". :angel4:

I have a problem with you questioning my religious practice and interpretation. I didn't ridicule your Sauceless Sundays, even though I find the rite to be bizarre, blasphemous and disgusting. :puke-left:

Gore your own oxymoron . . . mmmm, ox burgers. :-||
                  In that case I renounce my blaspheme of fast food as I would not aspire to cast aspersions on anyone's faith in food of any sort. Some enjoy carnivorous treats in a way in which the blood runs down the corner of the mouth during the process of consumption, which is pretty fast. Forgive me for I know not what I do but even when I do know, I usually do it anyway and plead ignorance. This is the best practice. :-||

1 CAT FAN
                  Ensign

Dukes Real Mayonnaise - Family owned C.F. Sauer Company to be sold after 132 years
                    GREENVILLE, S.C. (WSPA) – A Charlotte-based private equity firm will be acquiring The C.F. Sauer Company.
                    The 132-year family ran company, founded and based in Richmond, Virginia, announced a pending deal to be sold to Falfurrias Capital Partners Friday.
                    The spice business makes a broad line of condiments and seasonings, including Duke’s Mayonnaise, The Spice Hunter, Sauer’s, Gold Medal and BAMA.
                    C.F. Sauer is well known in the Upstate for the Duke’s location in Greenville.
                    Conrad F. Sauer IV, the fourth generation of his family to lead the company, will be retiring as president and CEO but will continue to serve on the board of directors, according to the company’s press release.
                    “I am so grateful to all of the people of The C.F. Sauer Company who have helped write our company’s tremendous success story over the past 132 years, and I look to the future with great optimism,” said Sauer. “We have found the ideal growth partner in Falfurrias Capital Partners.”
                      https://www.wspa.com/news/family-owned- ... vJvdeimQqY

Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
                      Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:47 pm
                      ... Forgive me for I know not what I do ...
                      Done.
                      -- Superstar Cultmaster
                      1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
                      Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
                      Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:59 pm
                      neoplacebo wrote:
                      Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:47 pm
                      ... Forgive me for I know not what I do ...
                      Done.
                      -- Superstar Cultmaster
                      Penance is worth its weight in gold, and absolution is worth double that. I consider myself penitent and absolved. But in spite of all that nonsense, "the Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a beautiful thing." Been listening to some old Steely Dan this evening. Small fact; Steely Dan took their name from the name of a dildo in William Burrough's novel "Naked Lunch.'' Also, they installed a tariff trough just down the street from me and you should see all the fucking money pouring in from China from this thing. It's nothing less than an economic epiphany as well as a truck load of bullshit.

Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster

Quoting Senator Thom Tillis <donotreply@tillis.senate.gov>:

> Dear Mr. Rn:
                      >
                      > Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding funding for
                      > antimicrobial resistance efforts. I appreciate hearing from you.
                      >
                      > As you may know, on September 28, 2018, the President signed the fiscal
                      > year 2019 (FY19) appropriations minibus, H.R. 6157, into law. This package
                      > contains the Labor-HHS-Education and Defense appropriations measures for
                      > FY19. The funding package included $7.9 billion for the Centers for Disease
                      > Control and Prevention (CDC), a $125 million increase over the FY18 enacted
                      > level.
                      >
                      > I agree that it is critically important to develop new drugs and treatments
                      > in order to cure diseases and save lives. I support a strong medical
                      > research agenda guided by the most promising science and potential for
                      > progress. I have visited several of North Carolina’s “crown jewels”
                      > when it comes to cutting edge world class medical research including The
                      > Duke Cancer Institute, the University of North Carolina, and many private
                      > entities in Research Triangle Park. Our state leads the world in medical
                      > innovation, and future generations depend on Congress to keep us committed
                      > to robust research funding.
                      >
                      > The challenge for us today is funding federal programs in fiscally
                      > responsible ways in light of our crushing $21 trillion debt and increasing
                      > liabilities. We must continue to look for solutions that are economically
                      > sound and do not impose any additional burdens on the taxpayers. Please
                      > know that if issues related to antimicrobial resistance come before the
                      > Senate, I will keep your support in mind....
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Thom Tillis (R-NC)
                      > U.S. Senator
                      I am _____ _____, RN, NOT your “Mr. Rn”.

Ummm, YOU created the massive deficit with tax cuts, other corporate welfare, and with obscene spending on the prison and military industrial complexes. If there’s not enough funding for antimicrobial resistance efforts, that’s entirely on YOU.

(Vrede too)
                      1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster

Quoting Senator Thom Tillis <donotreply@tillis.senate.gov>:

> Dear Mr. ______:
                      >
                      > Thank you for taking the time to contact me about government spending and
                      > our national debt limit. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the
                      > opportunity to respond.
                      >
                      > Let me begin by stating that the federal government’s mounting national
                      > debt and unsustainable spending practices present a clear and present
                      > danger to America’s long-term success. Mandatory spending on entitlement
                      > programs and interest payments on the national debt now account for roughly
                      > seventy percent of the total federal budget. Year after year, the budget
                      > increases, along with the total cost of these programs and debt payments.
                      > Yet simultaneously, the portions of the budget directly appropriated by
                      > Congress, known as discretionary spending, have become a smaller and
                      > smaller portion of federal outlays. This unchecked spending has ballooned
                      > our national debt well past $22 trillion in recent years. In fact, the
                      > overall national debt more than doubled in the past decade and a
                      > continuation of this trend is wholly untenable. For these reasons, the
                      > federal budget can and must include significant systemic reductions to
                      > unburden future generations of Americans.
                      >
                      > As you may be aware, on September 8, 2017, President Trump signed
                      > legislation that suspend the debt limit. Congress has raised or suspended
                      > the debt limit a total of 79 times since 1960 because, ultimately, to not
                      > do so would lead the United States to default on its debt. I consider this
                      > an unthinkable scenario, as the U.S. would lose it AAA credit rating and
                      > endure massive financial turmoil. That is why I have previously supported
                      > efforts to increase the debt limit.
                      >
                      > However, it is important to note that increasing the debt limit is simply a
                      > temporary band-aid on a much larger wound. Congress needs to return to the
                      > process of passing regular appropriations bills in order to fulfill its
                      > critical role of setting federal spending priorities by increasing funding
                      > for some programs, reducing funding for others, and providing statutory
                      > requirements and guidance for federal agencies. Furthermore, I believe
                      > efforts to reform the statutory formulas that drive our entitlement
                      > spending must be tied to future debt limit negotiations to ensure that
                      > taxpayer dollars are utilized by a federal spending system that can long
                      > endure. Please know, as the federal budget and debt limit are debated in
                      > Congress, I will continue to push for the fiscal reform I feel America
                      > desperately needs.
                      >
                      > Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate
                      > to contact me again about other important issues.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Thom Tillis (R-NC)
                      > U.S. Senator
                      :headscratch: I never mentioned the "national debt limit".

He cites "interest payments on the national debt," but never accepts responsibility for his contribution to that debt and his contribution to the current deficit with discretionary spending choices and tax cuts. :obscene-birdiered:

Oh well, he did get my name correct. :clap: :roll:
                      1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
                      Admiral of the Fleet

I've been tangentially following the Boeing 737Max plane debacle and wonder if it will result in some form of corporate welfare for the company; after all, it wasn't their fault they chose to install an optional safety system that would prevent a problem they were apparently aware of all along. Or that's how it will be presented and rationalized and approved in the course of obtaining this welfare. In any case, I saw the Boeing CEO on tv the other day and I thought he looked remarkably like my avatar Max Headroom. It was weird.