Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College sports

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:20 pm
Things do change.

This from a 1916 game

Several players "suffered serious injuries during the game, including quarterback Edwards, who was thrice carted off with concussions."

Hey, you've only had 2 concussions, get back in there.
Edwards went on to become Herbert Hoover's top economic advisor.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:20 pm
Things do change.

This from a 1916 game

Several players "suffered serious injuries during the game, including quarterback Edwards, who was thrice carted off with concussions."

Hey, you've only had 2 concussions, get back in there.
Edwards went on to become Herbert Hoover's top economic advisor.

John Heisman caused the Great Depression
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Asshole.

Figures:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Asshole.

Figures:
Never knew the field was 110 yards, or that anyone has ever made a 109 yard punt.

in the snow, in a game during which Tennessee's Toots Douglas launched a 109-yard punt (the field length was 110 yards in those days).[91][92]

Toots went on to command the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:51 am
Never knew the field was 110 yards, or that anyone has ever made a 109 yard punt.

in the snow, in a game during which Tennessee's Toots Douglas launched a 109-yard punt (the field length was 110 yards in those days).[91][92]
Nor I.
The Saratoga was hit by a torpedo 11 January 1942, a month into the war. Temporary repairs at Pearl Harbor, then more extensive repairs at the Bremerton (WA) Navy Yard. "Douglas was relieved on 12 April ..."

Opps.

Archibald Hugh "Toots" "Tootsie" Douglas' Wiki page says this about his Navy career:
... distinguished veteran of World War II.[1] He once commanded the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga. He also served in World War I, as part of the Northern Bombing Group.
That's it. Must have been those concussions ;) .

In contrast, the section on the punt is pure poetry:
Football

Douglas was once a prominent running back for the Tennessee Volunteers football teams of the University of Tennessee.

The 1902 Volunteers won a school record six games and beat rivals Sewanee and Georgia Tech. 1902 was also the first time that Tennessee scored on Vanderbilt in their Rivalry game. The team closed the season with an 11 to 0 loss to John Heisman's Clemson Tigers. Douglas holds the record for the longest punt in school history when he punted a ball 109 yards (the field length was 110 yards in those days) during the Clemson game. Heisman described the kick:

The day was bitterly cold and a veritable typhoon was blowing straight down the field from one end to the other. We rushed the ball with more consistency than Tennessee, but throughout the entire first half they held us because of the superb punting of "Toots" Douglas, especially because, in that period he had the gale squarely with him. Going against that blizzard our labors were like unto those of Tantalus. Slowly, with infinite pains and a maximum of exertion, we pushed the ball from our territory to their 10-yard line. We figured we had another down to draw on, but the referee begged to differ. He handed the ball to Tennessee and the "tornado." Their general cheerfully chirped a signal – Saxe Crawford, it must have been –; and "Toots" with sprightly step, dropped back for another of his Milky Way punts. I visualize him still, standing on his own goal line and squarely between his uprights. One quick glance he cast overhead– no doubt to make sure that howling was still the same old hurricane.

I knew at once what he proposed to do. The snap was perfect. "Toots" caught the ball, took two smart steps and – BLAM!–away shot the ball as though from the throat of Big Bertha. And, say, in his palmiest mathematical mood, I don't believe Sir Isaac Newton himself could have figured a more perfect trajectory to fit with that cyclone. Onward and upward, upward and onward, the crazy thing flew like a brainchild of Jules Verne. I thought it would clear the Blue Ridge Mountains. Our safety man, the great Johnny Maxwell, was positioned 50 yards behind our rush line, yet the punt sailed over his head like a phantom aeroplane. Finally, it came down, but still uncured of its wanderlust it started in to roll–toward our goal, of course, with Maxwell chasing and damning it with every step and breath. Finally it curled up and died on our one-footline, after a bowstring journey of just 109 yards.

In the loss to Vanderbilt, Tennessee's only score was provided by an A. H. Douglas run around right end, breaking two tackles and getting the touchdown. Douglas was selected All-Southern....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:44 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:51 am

Nor I.
The Saratoga was hit by a torpedo 11 January 1942, a month into the war. Temporary repairs at Pearl Harbor, then more extensive repairs at the Bremerton (WA) Navy Yard. "Douglas was relieved on 12 April ..."

Opps.

Archibald Hugh "Toots" "Tootsie" Douglas' Wiki page says this about his Navy career:
... distinguished veteran of World War II.[1] He once commanded the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga. He also served in World War I, as part of the Northern Bombing Group.
That's it. Must have been those concussions ;) .

In contrast, the section on the punt is pure poetry:
Football

Douglas was once a prominent running back for the Tennessee Volunteers football teams of the University of Tennessee.

The 1902 Volunteers won a school record six games and beat rivals Sewanee and Georgia Tech. 1902 was also the first time that Tennessee scored on Vanderbilt in their Rivalry game. The team closed the season with an 11 to 0 loss to John Heisman's Clemson Tigers. Douglas holds the record for the longest punt in school history when he punted a ball 109 yards (the field length was 110 yards in those days) during the Clemson game. Heisman described the kick:

The day was bitterly cold and a veritable typhoon was blowing straight down the field from one end to the other. We rushed the ball with more consistency than Tennessee, but throughout the entire first half they held us because of the superb punting of "Toots" Douglas, especially because, in that period he had the gale squarely with him. Going against that blizzard our labors were like unto those of Tantalus. Slowly, with infinite pains and a maximum of exertion, we pushed the ball from our territory to their 10-yard line. We figured we had another down to draw on, but the referee begged to differ. He handed the ball to Tennessee and the "tornado." Their general cheerfully chirped a signal – Saxe Crawford, it must have been –; and "Toots" with sprightly step, dropped back for another of his Milky Way punts. I visualize him still, standing on his own goal line and squarely between his uprights. One quick glance he cast overhead– no doubt to make sure that howling was still the same old hurricane.

I knew at once what he proposed to do. The snap was perfect. "Toots" caught the ball, took two smart steps and – BLAM!–away shot the ball as though from the throat of Big Bertha. And, say, in his palmiest mathematical mood, I don't believe Sir Isaac Newton himself could have figured a more perfect trajectory to fit with that cyclone. Onward and upward, upward and onward, the crazy thing flew like a brainchild of Jules Verne. I thought it would clear the Blue Ridge Mountains. Our safety man, the great Johnny Maxwell, was positioned 50 yards behind our rush line, yet the punt sailed over his head like a phantom aeroplane. Finally, it came down, but still uncured of its wanderlust it started in to roll–toward our goal, of course, with Maxwell chasing and damning it with every step and breath. Finally it curled up and died on our one-footline, after a bowstring journey of just 109 yards.

In the loss to Vanderbilt, Tennessee's only score was provided by an A. H. Douglas run around right end, breaking two tackles and getting the touchdown. Douglas was selected All-Southern....

The way I read this, the punt was on 1st down.

Shut occasionally punted on 3rd, but this is the only 1st down punt I am aware of

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:54 am
The way I read this, the punt was on 1st down.

Shut occasionally punted on 3rd, but this is the only 1st down punt I am aware of
"11 to 0 loss to John Heisman's Clemson Tigers."
May have been their best weapon for gaining field position.

Alabama confirms hip dislocation will end Tua Tagovailoa’s season

Even for a Bama-hater like me, that's too bad. Ankle not fully healed contributed? The commenters are trashing Saban.

Article still featured on NBC website:

No. 13 Baylor takes huge lead over No. 10 Oklahoma to locker room

:lol: :---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Opps, wrong topic, moved to College football.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Minnesota :lol:

They're a little better than Mary-land though.
Ohio State 73 Turds 14

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Rex Ryan trashes Big Ten in College Football Playoff race

Don’t ever put Penn State ahead of Clemson, for the love of God. And the guys from Minnesota, row your boat down there to Clemson and get beat by 40. Stop it already.
https://247sports.com/Article/College-f ... HGpZjyRBsM

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:55 pm
rstrong wrote:Chowan College in Murfreesboro, North Carolina and later North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, NCAA competitors of the University of North Carolina.

:lol:
Sure - in the same way that Northwest Calgary Tech is a "competitor" of McGill.
Speaking of competition:
WSU now has TWO of Dennis Rodman’s kids wearing crimson and gray

WASHINGTON STATE HAS hauled in one of the biggest soccer recruits in the country, the school said in a release. Trinity Rodman also happens to be the daughter of Dennis Rodman – and the second child of the NBA legend to head to WSU, after true freshman D.J. Rodman joined the Cougar basketball team this fall.

Rodman, the top-ranked forward in the 2020 class and the highest rated recruit in program history, is the ninth new Cougar to sign a National Letter of Intent with WSU for the upcoming season....

Rodman this season has been a force on the club level playing for So Cal Blue alongside of fellow Coug recruits Lynette Hernaez and Marin Whieldon. The trio helped lead their team to the 2019 ECNL National Championship in June at the U-19 level. Rodman has led the Blues to a 10-0 start and a plus-44 goal differential in the ECNL this season as they look to defend their national title. She was named a 2019 United Soccer Coaches Youth Girls All-American for the second time in November.

Rodman also has extensive international experience having played throughout the US National Team system. Most recently she played with the U-20 team in the Nike Invitational Friendlies alongside future Cougar teammate Mykiaa Minniss. The duo helped lead Team USA past the European champion French squad as Rodman assisted on the opening goal of the game and scored the game-winner in the tournament's finale....
Ut-oh.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Who’s highest‐paid in your state?

State-by-state breakdown

Who's the most powerful person in your state? Well, based on public employee salaries, it's likely a college coach (sorry, governors). A whopping 28 college football coaches are the best-paid employees in their states, along with 12 college hoops coaches who top the state payrolls. Check out the map below to find your state's top-earning public official, plus the governor's salary.

(interactive map)

North Carolina
Roy Williams, UNC men's basketball coach $3.3M
Roy Cooper, governor $144.4K
Median household income in dollars $52,752
Number of median income people needed to match Williams' salary 63

Money men

Notice any familiar names on this list of the 40 highest-paid coaches at public colleges? You should -- Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney and Jim Harbaugh have been on it for years. But some others (hello, Dan Hurley) crack the list for the first time.

Dabo Swinney, Clemson $9.3M
John Calipari, Kentucky $9.3M (hoops)
Nick Saban, Alabama $8.9M
Jim Harbaugh, Michigan $7.5M
Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M $7.5M
Kirby Smart, Georgia $6.9M
Jeff Brohm, Purdue $6.6M (unranked)
Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma $6.4M
Dan Mullen, Florida $6.1M
James Franklin, Penn State $5.7M

(more at link)
UNC is not just unranked, it did not receive a single AP vote.
http://scores.nbcsports.com/cbk/polls.asp?poll=AP

Coaches are not tops in the Northeast, DE, ND, MT, AK & HI.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A complex problem that we've discussed and I don't have a favored solution for, one perspective:

College athletes and Ph.D. students both work for the university, but only one earns a salary
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 pm
A complex problem that we've discussed and I don't have a favored solution for, one perspective:

College athletes and Ph.D. students both work for the university, but only one earns a salary

I have come around to paying athletes, but this is the worst example I have seen for why they should be paid.
graduate assistants getting paid to teach classes is very different than football practice.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:44 pm
I have come around to paying athletes, but this is the worst example I have seen for why they should be paid.
graduate assistants getting paid to teach classes is very different than football practice.
I'm not there yet with solutions, but the premise that both college athletes and Ph.D. students create value for the schools seems valid to me. Isn't that the fundamental for who should be paid and not?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm for paying players and letting them exploit their personal name, image, and reputation, but just for entertainment, I could offer another view. For the schools to owe students money, the students would have to be under some form of agreement to provide services for the employer, the school. Those services could be either as an employee or as a contractor, using the legal definitions of those terms. So we can have a given that the students have an agreement to play a sport, but the questions would arise, is playing a sport "providing services" and for whose benefit are the services performed? It's not enough that the school simply earns money from the activity. The activity has to be a part of the employer's business, requiring it to "hire" people to perform. I think it could be argued that a sports team is no different from any other competition that the school might allow students to participate in, or that they may sponsor. They are all called "extracurricular" activities - outside the formal learning experience, but still beneficial to overall education goals. Of course, the school doesn't make much money over the national success of its chess club, or tennis, or even 19 national titles in womens' soccer, but other than the money, everyone in sport is providing the same service. It could also be argued that the athletes who are deemed to be important enough to be providing a service to the school are being adequately compensated with their scholarships. And that certainly is valuable, but doesn't do much for living expenses.

Ehhhh, this isn't working. Schools make millions off their major programs and they couldn't do it without the participant athletes. Give them a share of the pot.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College sports Title IX discriminates - really cnn

They turned this one full circle.

Say it ain't so. Title IX is doing what it was intended to do, but in a bs explosive new study cnn finds that funds generated by poor black kids playing football are used in other sports. oh my, this is a revelation. Thank you cnn, we should immediately strip all sports that can't stand on their own of any funds generated by the more popular sports.

Not mentioned in the article, skewed to attack rich white elite men who steal funds made from the sweat and toil of black football and basketball players, are women and Title IX.

This rather strange stance against popular sports carrying the less popular sports financially is exactly the same argument the right wingers have always used against Title IX. But cnn has found a way to attack Title IX without saying or even giving
consideration to IX and create even more controversy between blacks and whites.

Now we can chant Defund Tennis, Defund Track, Defund almost all women's sports.

Thanks cnn.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/ncaa- ... index.html

Next up, cnn investigates why tuition for engineering and medical majors is the same as the tuition for teachers and philosophy majors, although the cost to the school to administor the engineering and medical classes is over 4 times as high and resulting degrees generate 5 to 10 times the income. Why do poor black education majors subsidize rich white engineers and doctors?, cnn wants to know.
Defund Them All.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:10 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:44 pm
I'm not there yet with solutions, but the premise that both college athletes and Ph.D. students create value for the schools seems valid to me. Isn't that the fundamental for who should be paid and not?
No.

Graduate assistants get paid for teaching classes and for other work, not for writing their PhD. They save the school money by not having to hire full time teachers with degrees.

Absolutely I agree with some form of payment from the school and a kid should absolutely be able to sell his own name. But you are definitely off into apples and oranges land comparing sports to graduate assistants.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Saturday

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:57 am
... Graduate assistants get paid for teaching classes and for other work, not for writing their PhD. They save the school money by not having to hire full time teachers with degrees.

Absolutely I agree with some form of payment from the school and a kid should absolutely be able to sell his own name. But you are definitely off into apples and oranges land comparing sports to graduate assistants.
SCOTUS has partially changed the playing field:
Supreme Court unanimously rules against NCAA in athlete compensation case

The nation's highest court unanimously ruled against the NCAA in the case of the NCAA vs. Alston, stating that its strict rules limiting certain kinds of athlete compensation violate anti-trust laws.

Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote the unanimous opinion, upholding the lower court's ruling that the NCAA was acting unlawfully when it limited member schools from competing for the talent of athletes by offering benefits. Limiting schools from actually, truly competing hurt college athletes.

The ruling is fairly narrow and does not end amateurism in college sports. The NCAA is still allowed to forbid benefits that are not related to an athlete's education. However, it allows for college athletes to receive education-based benefits like free laptops and paid post-grad internships.

'The NCAA is not above the law'

Even though the ruling only affects education-based benefits for college athletes, it could have a much greater impact in the future. By denying the NCAA anti-trust protection, the Supreme Court opened the door for others to file anti-trust lawsuits against the NCAA. If more anti-trust lawsuits are filed, this searing quote from Justice Brett Kavanaugh's concurring opinion doesn't bode well for the NCAA.

This one sentence from Kavanaugh's concurring opinion may be the most consequential of all.

Even though the ruling is limited, this whole Supreme Court process could not have gone worse for the NCAA. In late March it got roasted during oral arguments, with each of the justices taking shots at the NCAA like it was the world's largest and least-challenging piñata.

Now it has not only lost, it lost unanimously, and both opinions were written by two of the court's more conservative justices. As if that wasn't enough, one of the opinions essentially called the NCAA's business model "flatly illegal." This may be just the beginning of the NCAA's legal woes.
I'm not sure if it was Gorsuch or Boof, but one of them raked the NCAA leadership and coaches salaries.
:---P
More to come.
1312. ETTD.