billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:35 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:25 pm
Welcome to the SEC?

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/footb ... ons-to-sec
Paul wades in.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... o-the-sec/
Not my choice, but I'd take a hard pass.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College sports

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:35 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:25 pm
Welcome to the SEC?

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/footb ... ons-to-sec
Paul wades in.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... o-the-sec/
Not my choice, but I'd take a hard pass.
It's bad enough that UNC fans have to travel to Florida and now Indiana, but Arkansas and Alabama?!!! :P

Might as well shutter all current conferences and call the SEC the College AFC and the Big Ten the College NFC. :puke-left:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Well, they didn't change the name when they added the mid-western people, maybe they could change it to the Atlantic and Pacific Coast Conference, becoming the A&P. I think there may be a previously used logo available.

O Really
Admiral

Or how's this - there are 11 teams in the Mountain West. Dump Air Force, Wyoming, and Utah State and everybody else join the Pac-12. MW teams get an upgrade to a Power 5, and the original Pac-12 schools are new leaders in their conference.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:57 am
Well, they didn't change the name when they added the mid-western people, maybe they could change it to the Atlantic and Pacific Coast Conference, becoming the A&P. I think there may be a previously used logo available.

What would Ann say?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:24 am
Or how's this - there are 11 teams in the Mountain West. Dump Air Force, Wyoming, and Utah State and everybody else join the Pac-12. MW teams get an upgrade to a Power 5, and the original Pac-12 schools are new leaders in their conference.
There may be hope, share your 2 cents worth with the ACC and the remnants of the Pac-12. ;)

Source: Florida State among 4 ACC schools against adding Cal, Stanford

Florida State, North Carolina, Clemson and NC State :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

First time I've ever cheered for Florida State and Clemson. I don't intend to make a habit of it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

FSU and Clemson want out of the ACC anyway, what do they care?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:24 pm
FSU and Clemson want out of the ACC anyway, what do they care?
Might just be moneygrubbing bluster.
... Any team that wants to leave the ACC for next season must notify the league by Tuesday. Perhaps that is why talks are not completely over, as there continues to be a waiting game to see what Florida State does. Though multiple sources indicated it appears unlikely the Seminoles will do anything by Tuesday, there is a bit of a guessing game involved in what could happen....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:57 am

https://imgproxy.gridwork.co/iAf9CBA5BU ... LnBuZw.png
viewtopic.php?p=188149#p188149
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:55 pm
The A&PCC
The A,G&PCC if Shrub's SMU is brought in.

Ftr, Louisville has no coast. :wtf:
Since Notre Dame is now a member, maybe it's already the A&MCC. :problem:
Soon the A,G,M&PCC? :x
ACC adds Stanford, Cal, SMU as new members beginning 2024-25

:angry-banghead: Clemson, Florida State and North Carolina were the unsuccessful holdouts. The NC State Jackalpack flipped. :x
... The ACC joins the ranks of a rapidly changing collegiate landscape. Starting next year, the Big Ten will have 18 teams and the Big 12 and SEC will have 16.
This tells us all we need to know about math programs in the Big Ten and Big 12, and geography programs in the ACC and SEC.
The move leaves the Pac-12 with just two remaining programs, Washington State and Oregon State, a continued spiral that has included the league losing eight teams since late July.
Who?
... The move delivers a life preserver to the athletic departments at Stanford and Cal, which were left twisting amid the Pac-12's implosion. Stanford has an athletic department that is considered the gold standard in college athletics. Both will face increased travel costs, which will significantly impact a Cal athletic department that faces hundreds of millions in debt....
Massive amounts of school, donor and revenue dollars will be transferred to the airlines. Plus, the coast to coast to Gulf to Lake Michigan travel by bloated football rosters and coaches, staff, family and friends for all sports will generate choking amounts of greenhouse gases, forever.
:ateeth: :bs:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Who is Tez Walker

and why does the UNC reaction to established procedures being applied to his transfer resemble trump's acceptance of losing in 2000.

Will there be a Taz revolution?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ligibility

"The NCAA Division I board chair and vice-chair said in a statement Tuesday that "violent and possibly criminal threats" have been directed at committee members in the wake of a high-profile decision denying immediate eligibility for North Carolina receiver Tez Walker."

Mack Brown
"I don't know that I've ever been more disappointed in a person, a group of people, or an institution than I am with the NCAA right now. It's clear that the NCAA is about process and it couldn't care less about the young people it's supposed to be supporting. Plain and simple, the NCAA has failed Tez and his family and I've lost all faith in its ability to lead and govern our sport."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:38 pm
and why does the UNC reaction to established procedures being applied to his transfer resemble trump's acceptance of losing in 2020.

"The NCAA Division I board chair and vice-chair said in a statement Tuesday that "violent and possibly criminal threats" have been directed at committee members in the wake of a high-profile decision denying immediate eligibility for North Carolina receiver Tez Walker."

Mack Brown
"I don't know that I've ever been more disappointed in a person, a group of people, or an institution than I am with the NCAA right now. It's clear that the NCAA is about process and it couldn't care less about the young people it's supposed to be supporting. Plain and simple, the NCAA has failed Tez and his family and I've lost all faith in its ability to lead and govern our sport."
... Walker, who previously was enrolled at NC Central and Kent State, believes he should be allowed to play this year for two reasons. He was unable to play at NC Central because the pandemic canceled the season, and transferred to Kent State. Walker also cites mental health reasons for his decision to transfer from Kent State to North Carolina to be closer to his Charlotte home and his grandmother.

In the statement, Morehead and Pietruszkiewicz said, "Citing extenuating factors, such as mental health, does not necessarily support a waiver request but instead may, in some situations, suggest a student-athlete should be primarily focused on addressing those critical issues during the initial transition to a third school." ...
Of course the threats are outrageous and unacceptable, and lots of student athletes have family and mental health issues. However, I think the point about never actually getting to play at NC Central is defensible. Maybe Walker should be credited with only one transfer. In contrast, P01135809 and the MAGATs' 2020 Big Lie has zero foundation.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:38 pm
and why does the UNC reaction to established procedures being applied to his transfer resemble trump's acceptance of losing in 2020.

Mack Brown
... Walker, who previously was enrolled at NC Central and Kent State, believes he should be allowed to play this year for two reasons. He was unable to play at NC Central because the pandemic canceled the season, and transferred to Kent State. Walker also cites mental health reasons for his decision to transfer from Kent State to North Carolina to be closer to his Charlotte home and his grandmother.

In the statement, Morehead and Pietruszkiewicz said, "Citing extenuating factors, such as mental health, does not necessarily support a waiver request but instead may, in some situations, suggest a student-athlete should be primarily focused on addressing those critical issues during the initial transition to a third school." ...
Of course the threats are outrageous and unacceptable, and lots of student athletes have family and mental health issues. However, I think the point about never actually getting to play at NC Central is defensible. Maybe Walker should be credited with only one transfer. In contrast, P01135809 and the MAGATs' 2020 Big Lie has zero foundation.
All you say is true

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I've read more on this. UNC has a very reasonable case. Taz should play

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:57 am
I've read more on this. UNC has a very reasonable case. Tez should play
From your lips . . .

Tez Walker allowed to play after NCAA reverses decision on WR

UNC is 4-0, so no harm to the program.
... Walker, widely considered a top-50 prospect for next year's NFL draft, transferred to North Carolina in part to play with star quarterback Drake Maye.
His season stats will be diminished, but his per game stats will be as good as he can make them.
Walker is eligible to join the undefeated Tar Heels for Saturday's game against Syracuse (@Chapel Hill), and a source told ESPN that he is expected to play, as he has been practicing with the team....
Good, first thing I wondered about.

#14 UNC is tied for 3rd in the ACC. Unranked Syracuse is 4-1, 11th in the ACC.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ew/fbs-i-a
"I'm so excited and thankful that the NCAA has granted my eligibility to play this season," Walker said in a statement. "This hasn't been easy, but I'm looking forward to putting this in the past and moving forward. I always knew UNC was a special place, but it's proved it over and over again throughout the last few months. I've received so much support from the University, the athletics department, my coaches, the staff and my teammates."
And at least one fan in Hooterville and one Auburn fan. ;)

Sounds like it MIGHT have been UNC's fault despite the weeks of UNC whining:
... UNC chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said in a statement: "In our stated effort to exhaust all avenues, new information about this matter came to our attention and we immediately gathered and submitted it for consideration. The NCAA reached the right decision that restores Tez's experience as a student-athlete and a Tar Heel." ...
GoTezGo!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:57 am
I've read more on this. UNC has a very reasonable case. Tez should play
From your lips . . .

Tez Walker allowed to play after NCAA reverses decision on WR

UNC is 4-0, so no harm to the program.

GoTezGo!
With the game just 48 hours away limited playing time vs Syracuse. Still:
Inside Tez Walker's long NCAA fight for eligibility

... "We tried to cram as much as we could in, we knew we weren't going to get everything," Walker said. "I knew I had to go to my past notes and relearn the offense and the playbook as much as possible and then be locked in on Saturday when my number was called." With his grandmother, mother, uncle, sisters, high school coach and other family members in the stands, Walker was chosen to run onto the field carrying the North Carolina state flag. (grandmother, Loretta) Black described the moment as "overwhelming."

Walker got into the game in the first quarter, and his first catch was a short completion. He ended with six catches for 43 yards, and Walker said he played more than he expected. But he was also jittery because everything happened so fast.
@UNC won 40-7. Then,
Preparing for Miami would be completely different. Walker immersed himself in the game plan. He called on Maye and the receivers to watch extra tape. This would be his breakout moment, months and months in the making.

After it was over -- North Carolina defeated Miami 41-31 to remain unbeaten ...
Earlier in the article:
Just before heading into the locker room to prepare for kickoff against Miami on Saturday, North Carolina receiver Tez Walker came to the sideline to give his high school coach a hug.

Josh Harris has been a father figure to Walker for nearly a decade. They still talk every day. As Walker prepared for his first game fully incorporated in the North Carolina offense, Harris peppered him with questions about how it was going and what he thought of the Miami cornerbacks he would face.

"They're physical," Walker told him.

"But can they run with you?" Harris asked.

"Nah," Walker replied.

That became apparent in the first quarter, when he easily scored an 18-yard touchdown as a flummoxed Miami secondary lost track of him. Then he scored another, a 56-yarder on a perfectly placed ball from Drake Maye after Walker blazed past Jaden Davis. By the time he scored his third, Miami had no answers.

Walker had become the star of the game.

Six catches. 151 yards of total offense. Three touchdowns. Multiple statements made: To the NCAA. To his opponents. To himself....
I'll say. Walker had 2 rushes for 19 yards, hence "total offense."
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

GoTezGo!

UNC is 6-0 and ranked #10. Now 3 pushovers - VA, GA Tech and the Campbell Fighting Camels (FCS :angry-cussing: ) - then #16 Duke @UNC. IF UNC can win out in the regular season, which is very possible, then find a way to beat FSU for the ACC Championship I think it makes the playoffs.

Okay, now I've jinxed them. Sorry, O Really.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:56 am

No problem. They're perfectly capable of self-jinxing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:

:lol: :cry:

I did not necessarily oppose the NIL rulings, but I predicted crap like this:

How Rich Donors and Loose Rules Are Transforming College Sports

Athletes are choosing schools based on how much money they will make. The games have changed forever. We'll see how it shakes out.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:

So it's that time of year when it's inevitable to paraphrase Kenny Rogers...

"Don't fall in love with the TarHeels,
'Cause they'll break you every time
Oh put out the light and just hold on
The Fat Lady sings tonight."

Here's the original, if you like - it's a good song.