Windows 10

JTA
Commander

Windows 10

Unread post by JTA »

Has anybody upgraded? And if so, can you give us a rundown on features you like/dislike?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Windows 10

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:Has anybody upgraded? And if so, can you give us a rundown on features you like/dislike?
I signed up, but don't have it yet. Wish us all luck.

O Really
Admiral

Update - it's ready to go. But I may wait til Wednesday to deal with it since I really really need my machine to work tomorrow and Tuesday.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:Has anybody upgraded? And if so, can you give us a rundown on features you like/dislike?
Pro's: Speed of Windows 8
Start menu is back!
Virtual Desktops! Finally!

Con's:
Feels really privacy invading. Looks like there are options to turn most of it off.
No way to control updates. Basically you will get windows updates if you want them or not. This really, REALLY, bothers me.

O Really
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Basically you will get windows updates if you want them or not. This really, REALLY, bothers me.
Bothers me a lot, too, since I've already had one 8.1 machine ruined by auto updates.
Here's one review, if you haven't seen it...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... u-upgrade/

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

I've signed up as well, but not installed it. After reading all the negativity, I don't think I want to. Forced updates, for one; but there's this just in case:

"The caveat: you can only upgrade to Windows 10 free if you do so within 12 months of release (that’s July 29th 2016). Upgrade outside this period and you will have to pay the standard retail costs: $119.99 for ‘Windows 10 Home’ and $199.99 for ‘Windows 10 Pro’."
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

bannination
Captain

Well, I did find a way to at least control driver updates, which is what I was most concerned about.

It's a bit hard to find and called "Change device installation setttings."

If you change your network settings to "Metered Connection" you can also delay normal updates.

O Really
Admiral

bannination wrote:Well, I did find a way to at least control driver updates, which is what I was most concerned about.

It's a bit hard to find and called "Change device installation setttings."

If you change your network settings to "Metered Connection" you can also delay normal updates.
You can delay them, but not forever. There will be a point that they won't let you get something you want unless you've loaded the others. (that's what I read)

bannination
Captain

O Really wrote:
bannination wrote:Well, I did find a way to at least control driver updates, which is what I was most concerned about.

It's a bit hard to find and called "Change device installation settings."

You can delay them, but not forever. There will be a point that they won't let you get something you want unless you've loaded the others. (that's what I read)
Yes, that's true, I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise, for windows updates anyway, for driver updates I believe you can hold those off forever.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a piece I got from AVG; might be of some help:

Four Quick Windows 10 Privacy Fixes

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I have Windows 10 running on my main home PC, a virtual machine under VMware, my office PC and a 7" tablet. A few random thoughts:

- The privacy issues are little different than Windows 8. Most of it - URL smart screening, geographic location sharing etc. have legitimate uses, were there in Windows 8, most were in Windows 7, but I've turned them off anyway. Almost all of it can be turned off in the initial install if you pay attention. And in the new Privacy panel in Settings.

- Cortana is new, and of course sends out a lot of information. I haven't installed it.

- Windows Update has one somewhat scary feature: By default when it downloads updates it'll share them with others on the internet. Much like BitTorrent, where as you download you're uploading to others. In this case I don't worry about what's going out, so much as updates coming in from a maliciously modified workstation elsewhere on the internet.

Fortunately you can turn this off in Settings / Update and Security / Advanced Options / Choose how updates are delivered.

Happily, there's a third setting: You can share updates only with PCs on your network. There's no need for *all* of them to download the same updates.

- There's a lot to like in the Edge browser, but there's a lot of features missing. It's almost like it's the version for your parents, and Apple users, while Explorer is there for the power users. I've added both to my Start menu.

- I've rescued two people from a bug in the installer: If you logged into Windows 8 with a non-Microsoft Account, then during or after the install it'll ask you to enter/create a Microsoft Account. This will share the same user directory as your non-Microsoft Account. BUT THE DIRECTORY PERMISSIONS WON'T BE SET TO ACCESS YOUR FILES. Because you're now logging in as a different user. On one user's machine I set the directory permissions to allow access from the new account. On the other, the user opted to log out and log in with his old credentials.

- The ability to quickly switch between tablet and desktop mode has an extra perk: Some times I'll be on the If I'm on the road with a tablet, and I'll need to use a Remote Desktop session to control my home or office desktop. Now, since I'm doing this from a tablet, I can switch the remote PC to desktop mode too.

- My boss likes the Solitaire / FreeCell / Mahjong games from Windows 7 and earlier. These were removed from Windows 8, attempting to force people to use the Windows Store to download bloated, advertising-laden, auto-post-your-scores-to-your-friends and compete with them online crawling abominations from the darkest pits of hell. (It takes genuine incompetence to take games popular because they're quick and casual and SOLITAIREy - and try to turn them into forced social network events.)

Fortunately you can modify all the Windows 7 games with a hex editor to work in Windows 8. And they'll work in Windows 10 with no additional modification.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Has any one seen these Intel Comput Sticks ? This is supposedly a complete Windows 10 computer that will plug into one of the HDMI ports on the back of any HDTV and turn it into a computer! I linked this one which I found to be the cheapest in price, but the concept of this thing is awesome! Look at 'em on Amazon.com!

(One shown here uses Ubuntu 14.04 OS instead of Windows 10; not being a PC whiz, I'm unfamiliar with that.)