Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Now on PBS.
Funny Woman
TV Series 2023–

A young woman from Blackpool finds her voice in the male dominated world of the 1960s comedy, and in doing so takes London by storm.
Stars Gemma Arterton
She's a scream! It's a comedy about a novice girl in a sit-com, a wannabe UK Lucy.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:21 pm
I didn’t check imbd, but he would make a good replacement for Tristan.
Spoiler:

I forgot to post the link, sorry.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm14261278/

Tristan became a fully qualified vet last season. I don't see Wesley Binks ever going that far, but I could be wrong.
Spoiler:

Mrs Harbottle sure didn't work out :lol:
O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 pm
Do we know if Tristan is gone forever?
It's been so long since I read the books (all of them) that I don't recall whether Tristan survives the war and returns to the practice or not. No one tell me if you do remember, please.
Good show :clap:
Spoiler:

Still alive . . . and sending letters with smutty cartoons that wind Tristan up :lol:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 pm
Did you google the ship Mrs Hall’s son is on?
I somehow missed that he's on a ship. Please catch me up.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:17 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:21 pm
I didn’t check imbd, but he would make a good replacement for Tristan.
Spoiler:

I forgot to post the link, sorry.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm14261278/

Tristan became a fully qualified vet last season. I don't see Wesley Binks ever going that far, but I could be wrong.
Spoiler:

Mrs Harbottle sure didn't work out :lol:
O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 pm
Do we know if Tristan is gone forever?
It's been so long since I read the books (all of them) that I don't recall whether Tristan survives the war and returns to the practice or not. No one tell me if you do remember, please.
Good show :clap:
Spoiler:

Still alive . . . and sending letters with smutty cartoons that wind Tristan up :lol:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 pm
Did you google the ship Mrs Hall’s son is on?
I somehow missed that he's on a ship. Please catch me up.
https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=all%2 ... rYLrw,st:0

During the episode the name of his ship was mentioned,or maybe it was on his hat or something. Anyway I googled it. It went down with all hands.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:29 pm

During the episode the name of his ship was mentioned,or maybe it was on his hat or something. Anyway I googled it. It went down with all hands.
I may have missed all or part of Series 3 (2022) :oops: I'll have to look for streaming. There were HMS Repulse survivors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Repul ... 6)#Force_Z
Crew was 967 and there was "the loss of 508 officers and men." Did Mrs Hall learn that he died? I can't find the answer online.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:06 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:29 pm

I may have missed all or part of Series 3 (2022) :oops: I'll have to look for streaming. There were HMS Repulse survivors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Repul ... 6)#Force_Z
Crew was 967 and there was "the loss of 508 officers and men." Did Mrs Hall learn that he died? I can't find the answer online.
He only left on it. It hasn’t been sunk yet.
You’re right, I remember now that there “will be” survivors.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

While I continue to wait for season two I thought y’all might enjoy the season 1 opening. Word is that the season 2 is even stranger.

https://youtu.be/_mrr3UNALww?feature=shared

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:55 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:14 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:57 pm
I hope y’all are watching the new season of Fargo. It t may be the best yet

a bit of music from episode 8

https://youtu.be/JTI8rxAhcsg
It's stunning. Just 2 episodes left :(
Spoiler:

Most predictable would be for Dot to kill the Sheriff. So, what unpredictable thing do you think may happen?
How about the sheriff in a live performance for the Linda’s?
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:40 am
:twisted: That's a good one.
Spoiler:

But I'm still not sure whether the Lindas were real or were just Dot's coma dream. In this last episode original Linda is shown sitting next to Dot in a moving car and then she just disappears :headscratch: Plus, original ( :D , great "debate"!) Sheriff Tillman admitted burying her.

I'm wondering how Minnesota Police Deputy Indira Olmstead, North Dakota Deputy Witt Farr, Deputy Gator Tillman (if even still alive), creepy Ole Munch, the FBI duo and Jennifer Jason Leigh all fit into the finality. One big gunfight? Nah, it'll be more clever than that.
:think: Maybe even bigger than I imagined. Episode 9 spoilers in the article:

Fargo recap: "The Useless Hand" sets up season 5's violent crescendo
War is on the horizon in a fast-paced penultimate episode

The comments, including some debate, are also illuminating. Episode 10 should be a doozy.
Spoiler:

Dot leaving the rifle behind rankled me, too. It was so glaring that I was distracted.
Great ending

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 am

How about the sheriff in a live performance for the Linda’s?
Spoiler:
Metaphorically . . . and worse, heh heh heh :twisted:
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:40 am
:twisted: That's a good one.
Spoiler:

I'm wondering how Minnesota Police Deputy Indira Olmstead,
Lorraine Lyon's occasional conscience :thumbup:

North Dakota Deputy Witt Farr,
Bummer, the sainted martyr.

Deputy Gator Tillman (if even still alive),
Redeemed, but severely punished, okay.

creepy Ole Munch,
I thought he was still going to slaughter them all until the Sin Eater's bite of "joy and love" just before the credits roll. Daring of Dot to not tell Scotty to run, but she was integral to the denouement.

the FBI duo
Winners!

and Jennifer Jason Leigh
The merciless avenging angel who we all were rooting for. Sucks to be you, Roy.

all fit into the finality.
Not at all what I expected.

One big gunfight?
Well, yeah, but it threw me that it came in the first 20 minutes.

Nah, it'll be more clever than that.
Oh yeah, by miles.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:22 pm
Great ending
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The True Detective review debacle shows Rotten Tomatoes is becoming the internet’s most useless film website
The showrunner of the returning crime anthology complained that the Jodie Foster-fronted series had been targeted by ‘bros’ on Rotten Tomatoes. The problem goes deeper than a few men with a grudge, writes Louis Chilton – review aggregators are eating themselves alive

:problem: That sucks, but I've always been aware of the possibility. Is it pure sexism, or also homophobia with Jodie's season? I look at both the Tomatometer and Audience Score in hopes that both haven't been corrupted. I also consult IMDb and Wiki. I haven't tried Letterboxd or other review sites.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:39 pm
The True Detective review debacle shows Rotten Tomatoes is becoming the internet’s most useless film website
The showrunner of the returning crime anthology complained that the Jodie Foster-fronted series had been targeted by ‘bros’ on Rotten Tomatoes. The problem goes deeper than a few men with a grudge, writes Louis Chilton – review aggregators are eating themselves alive

:problem: That sucks, but I've always been aware of the possibility. Is it pure sexism, or also homophobia with Jodie's season? I look at both the Tomatometer and Audience Score in hopes that both haven't been corrupted. I also consult IMDb and Wiki. I haven't tried Letterboxd or other review sites.
I never intentionally look at reviews until after I’ve seen the movie or read the book.
That said, I like True Detective and love Jodie Foster, but am still in Wait and See about this season. Way too early for other people’s opinions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:27 pm
I never intentionally look at reviews until after I’ve seen the movie or read the book.
That said, I like True Detective and love Jodie Foster, but am still in Wait and See about this season. Way too early for other people’s opinions.
I don't usually read reviews ahead of time, but I hate wasting 1-3 hours on crap. So, I'll often look at RT, etc scores to get a sense whether a potentially interesting show is above mediocre.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:19 am
Investigative journalism at its finest:

Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller

Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller is an original documentary series that explores the complex and dangerous inner-workings of the global underworld, black and informal markets. Each adventure follows Mariana on a mission to follow the chain of custody of trafficked goods, understand how to obtain the contraband, or see the 360-degree view of the trafficking world from the point of view of the smugglers, law enforcement and those caught in the crossfire.
Wiki:
Mariana van Zeller (born May 7, 1976) is a Portuguese journalist and correspondent for National Geographic Channel. She was the chief correspondent for Fusion (until the channel ceased its operations in December 2021), and is a former correspondent for the Vanguard documentary series on the former Current TV. She's a recipient of the Peabody Award.
:-|| Trafficked is an amazing series. Mariana is fearless and somehow gains access to criminals around the world. Her reports are unfailingly captivating, thorough, informative and well-produced. I just finished watching:
S2E10 Fish Pirates
As much as 30% of our seafood has been caught illegally. Mariana searches for the fish pirates who make billions each year while destroying our oceans.
Paraphrase: As bad as illegal fishing is, the real threat to our oceans is legal fishing.

Other topics include:
L.A. Gangs
Terrorist Oil
Tigers and tiger parts

And much more. Episodes are streaming and are broadcast on NatGeo and Vice.
NatGeo spinoff, I'm not sure why it's a new series. Season 1, Episode 1 • Premiere:
Trafficked: Underworlds with Mariana van Zeller: Assassins (Nat Geo Wednesday January 17, 2024)

... In this gripping installment, investigative journalist Mariana van Zeller takes viewers on a harrowing journey into the dark and violent world of contract killers. She begins her investigation by tracking down an assassin in her hometown of Los Angeles, delving deep into the underbelly of organized crime. From there, she travels to South Africa—a country where contract killings have tragically become almost daily occurrences—to uncover the shocking reality behind these heinous acts.

“Trafficked: Underworlds with Mariana van Zeller” offers an unflinching look at various illicit trades around the globe while shedding light on their impact on society. Through immersive storytelling and firsthand interviews with those involved in these dangerous worlds, this series provides valuable insights into complex criminal networks that operate beneath our awareness....
:shock: Holy crap! Terrifying.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Even if it's just one night a week!
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/entertai ... index.html

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:thumbup:

13.5 months - longest auditions ever.

"JON MF STEWART" :lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Just finished the first season.

Had to power through the first couple of episodes, but then it grabs you.

The Bear
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Who is this?

Spoiler:

She looks like Jenna Fischer, Pam from The Office, to me.

In reality, it's Shannon Smith, attorney for Jennifer and James Crumbley — the parents of the Oxford High School shooter in MI.
https://www.hourdetroit.com/community/c ... efensible/

I really notice the similarity in video. What do you think?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

It's a pretty good doppleganger

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:03 pm

<sniff> It's not even my birthday :-|| Wouldn't it be funny if Wordlebot wrote, "MIRED is a double Useless, GoCubsGo you ignorant slut"?

Speaking of ignorant sluts....before they were stars. I must have been a teenage insomniac, I remember this segment.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:13 pm
Speaking of ignorant sluts....before they were stars. I must have been a teenage insomniac, I remember this segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gvTEA2uT8
Interesting. How did that show and its cast members do? :wave:
1312. ETTD.