Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah, I guess it could be workable if we didn't move around. We do have a good OTA antenna with signal finder/strength lights, but some places the signal just isn't there. Satellite works anywhere, though, unless I'm under a tree. When we move to a different location, I change local services on my cell app. Satellite finds my unit and switches as needed.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

$150 + a month seemed like an absurd amount of money to watch television.

OTA antenna for live sports and I share a bunch of streaming stuff that totals $45 a month and I don't think I'm missing a thing except daily Cub games.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:34 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:38 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:27 pm
How did you watch without streaming?
Cable.
But isn't that more expensive?
Bundled services, it works out. Sufficient channels without the temptation of 24/7 streaming. Broadcast is spotty - mountains in the way and not dense enough population to get more translators.
luddite or are you a boomer? Whichever, you are like so 1980s
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Yes.

O Really
Admiral

I may have some luddite tendencies regarding TV. I kinda like the idea of "what's on?" even though appointment TV isn't mandatory. Sorta like asking what's playing at the cinema, when's the concert coming to town, yada. Doesn't mean we have to watch it then, but it's a choice. Totally unscheduled seems a bit chaotic to me. Every time you sit down to watch TV, you have to think about what you want to see and then go find it. We do use various services through Roku a lot, and we just finished a semi-binge watch of season 2 of Lincoln Lawyer. But luddite or not, I like the underlying structure of programmed TV.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Not so sure I really miss endlessly flipping. These days I just look at the TV guide app or the Sling guide app. If there's nothing on then I'll start looking for streaming stuff.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:12 pm
Yes.
No you aren't.

I tend to first go to the new just released episodes of one of the 2 or 3 streaming shows I'm watching. Right now that's Murders in the Building and Ralan Givens kicking ass in Highland Park.
Then it's the guide for the 3 networks and PBS.

Then it's usually turn off the TV or go to the next episode of something like Midsomer Murders 132 episodes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:01 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Yes.
No you aren't....
You are disagreeing with my agreement with your guesses? :headscratch:

O Really
Admiral

We have a few regularly scheduled shows that we usually watch when broadcast, then we usually have something that went to DVR. We use streaming regularly, but it's usually our third tier. I'd use the PBS Passport more, but it turns out it doesn't work anywhere but for the station you donated to.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Yes.
No you aren't.

I tend to first go to the new just released episodes of one of the 2 or 3 streaming shows I'm watching. Right now that's Murders in the Building and Ralan Givens kicking ass in Highland Park.

Then it's usually turn off the TV or go to the next episode of something like Midsomer Murders 132 episodes.
Shit, I forgot all about that. They filmed here last summer. Is it any good?

Highland Park has had a few things filmed here. John Hughes set a lot of his stuff here. Ferris Bueller is a classic, the Ferrari house is about a mile and a half away. Robert Redford made his directorial debut here with Ordinary People. Who knew Mary Tyler Moore could be such a bitch?

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?loca ... tloc_loc_1

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Yes.
No you aren't.

Shit, I forgot all about that. They filmed here last summer. Is it any good?

Highland Park has had a few things filmed here. John Hughes set a lot of his stuff here. Ferris Bueller is a classic, the Ferrari house is about a mile and a half away. Robert Redford made his directorial debut here with Ordinary People. Who knew Mary Tyler Moore could be such a bitch?

Good buddy of mine worked for mtm. He concurs.

Justified is good. It's missing Goggins, so it can’t be as good as the original.
Goggins can be found as Baby Billy in the Charleston SC show, The Righteous Gemstones. It just renewed for a 4th season.
Here's Baby Billy pitching his idea for a Christian game show to the family. It's Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers time.

https://youtu.be/jDr7GTNJ2rs?si=r0d-wcbhjTaw1GOf

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
... Highland Park has had a few things filmed here. John Hughes set a lot of his stuff here. Ferris Bueller is a classic, the Ferrari house is about a mile and a half away. Robert Redford made his directorial debut here with Ordinary People. Who knew Mary Tyler Moore could be such a bitch?

24 year old Rebecca De Mornay?! Lucky guy.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:29 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
... Highland Park has had a few things filmed here. John Hughes set a lot of his stuff here. Ferris Bueller is a classic, the Ferrari house is about a mile and a half away. Robert Redford made his directorial debut here with Ordinary People. Who knew Mary Tyler Moore could be such a bitch?

24 year old Rebecca De Mornay?! Lucky guy.

Every young man's late night El Train fantasy.

The Risky Business house is around the corner from the Bueller Ferrari house.

1258 Linden Ave
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gRp2j5yLToXCpNx88

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1752625 ... Ibisaw!2e0

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Original Star Trek prequel TV show:
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Average Tomatometer 98%, Average Audience Score 78%

Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One explore new worlds around the galaxy on the U.S.S. Enterprise.
I'm sure they're just teasers for Paramount Plus streaming, but the first 2 episodes that CBS broadcast are pretty good. I especially like Ensign Uhura. Spock has a sense of humor that he lost by the Original Star Trek. It's jarring but I like it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:35 am

Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One explore new worlds around the galaxy on the U.S.S. Enterprise.
I'm sure they're just teasers for Paramount Plus streaming, but the first 2 episodes that CBS broadcast are pretty good. I especially like Ensign Uhura. Spock has a sense of humor that he lost by the Original Star Trek. It's jarring but I like it.
We were watching it on family night and stopped because the kid wanted to keep up with Righteous Gemstones - I've adapted to his humor over the years - vote for Pedro
We've canceled the channel now, so set to record all new episodes.

Learned last week: youtubeTV keeps your recordings, recording setup, etc.
We cancelled after March Maddnes and restarted Sept. 1. It was just the way we left it.
Even less pressure to stop and start subscriptions.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:35 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:

O Really
Admiral

OK, IMNVHO, this is a ridiculous example of the often misused term "cancel culture" running amok.
Headline:
"Despite Danny Masterson Sentencing, ‘That ’70s Show’ Reruns Still Airing
Peacock and digital network Laff currently run the comedy, and it's available for purchase on Amazon."

And why TF would it not be? The show was on for 8 years, gone now for 18, had a lot of featured actors who have since gone on to their own career success and who ostensibly had nothing to do with Masterson's crimes.

The authors of the article apparently actually tried to contact Peacock, et. al., I guess to ask if they were going to take the show off air and were properly and appropriately ignored. But then, "Hollywood Reporter" :roll:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235585847/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:32 am
OK, IMNVHO, this is a ridiculous example of the often misused term "cancel culture" running amok.
Headline:
Peacock and digital network Laff currently run the comedy, and it's available for purchase on Amazon."

And why TF would it not be? The show was on for 8 years, gone now for 18, had a lot of featured actors who have since gone on to their own career success and who ostensibly had nothing to do with Masterson's crimes.

The authors of the article apparently actually tried to contact Peacock, et. al., I guess to ask if they were going to take the show off air and were properly and appropriately ignored. But then, "Hollywood Reporter" :roll:

Some people will be offended that Masterson collects residuals.
Some people will be unable to watch the "comedy" without thinking about rape.
Have you tried finding Cosby Show reruns lately?
'Me too' protests are possible, potentially harming other Peacock/Laff/Amazon programming.
Sitcom reruns are a dime a dozen and it doesn't take much of a drop in viewership for a broadcaster/streamer to look elsewhere.

I was never a fan so none of this applies to me, but I can see why it might be an issue.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:32 am
Headline:

Feel the same way about The Cosby Show?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:01 pm
Feel the same way about The Cosby Show?
Scroll up, great minds . . . :clap: