2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:30 pm
Jesus Christ, the dog ate Tucker's Joe Biden homework and apparently no one on his crack staff knew how to operate a copy machine.

Tucker is trending.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:30 pm
Jesus Christ, the dog ate Tucker's Joe Biden homework and apparently no one on his crack staff knew how to operate a copy machine.

Tucker is trending.
He should have used USPS. It's always secure and reliable. Oh wait, it used to be.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I hope this goes viral.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Don't get excited; Rudy has two suitcases full of Hunter Biden evidence handed to him by a janitor at a Ukrainian airport. He had to spend three days there before getting a flight out with the evidence. Tucked his shirt in dozens of times in full view of janitors and cargo handlers. Rudy himself could almost be called a cargo handler except he had his hand in his pants and the pants were bereft of cargo. Nothing to declare.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo :laughing-rofl:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm
I hope this goes viral.
Live viewers, rerun viewers, website viewers, any Dem orgs, other Woodward interviews, plus 80K Twitter views in just 1 hour - I think you'll get your wish.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:16 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm
I hope this goes viral.
Live viewers, rerun viewers, website viewers, any Dem orgs, other Woodward interviews, plus 80K Twitter views in just 1 hour - I think you'll get your wish.
Hopefully Obama will stump with it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Go America!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fox News Cuts Off Lindsey Graham In The Middle Of His Latest Money Plea

His regular appeals on Fox News have worked: Graham raised $28 million in the third quarter, a record for a Republican Senate candidate. However, that’s less than half the record $57 million raised by Harrison over that same period, something Graham hasn’t been shy about mentioning during his increasingly desperate appeals on Fox News.

CNN collected them into a supercut:

:shock: :lol:

Twitter:
@LindseyGrahamSC
You were cut off but here’s your complete message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7-QP0LMAKI
Good because I’m broke from donating to his opponent every time he does that
Same!!! I ran out of money bc it made me so happy to donate to @harrisonjaime
every time I saw Lindsey beg.
Holy shit he’s reached the “wearing desperation as a badge of pride” stage of soul deterioration...
even Laura is tired of the groveling.
Thoughts and prayers.
Lindsey’s got to want to help himself more than I want to help him. Sorry, Jared said so, Lindsey.
That was just rude of Fox News!!!
:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

20 Republican Former U.S. Attorneys Condemn Donald Trump, Back Joe Biden

Twenty former U.S. attorneys ― all appointed by GOP presidents ― gave 2020 Democratic nominee Joe Biden their “strongest endorsement” in an open letter slamming President Donald Trump’s politicization of the Justice Department.

Trump “has clearly conveyed that he expects his Justice Department appointees and prosecutors to serve his personal and political interests in the handling of certain cases – such as the investigations into foreign election interference and the prosecution of his political associates – and has taken action against those who have stood up for the interests of justice,” says the letter signed by ex-prosecutors who served in Republican administrations from Dwight Eisenhower to George W. Bush.

They also warned Trump’s leadership is “a threat to the rule of law in our country.”

Biden, the attorneys wrote, has “devoted his career to supporting law enforcement, protecting the independence of the Justice Department, and working to ensure that the federal government exercises its law enforcement powers fairly and impartially and in the interests of all Americans.”

... In August, former CIA Director Michael Hayden and former Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel were among 74 Republican former national security officials to sign a letter explaining why they couldn’t vote for Trump.

More than 300 military families, nearly 500 retired military officials and 500 faith leaders have also signaled their support of Biden in recent weeks.
:---P :---P :---P :---P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Burn.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

One has to wonder how much good could be done with the billions wasted on political campaigns, but all efforts to date to limit spending have been pretty much slid around or ignored. I wonder if instead of trying to limit spending directly, it would help to curtail where and when a candidate could spend money. Let's say not allow TV/radio/social media to run ads more than 3 months before an election, and to be able to run only a limited amount of their total air time. What if a campaign had to produce hard evidence of whatever their allegations are of the opponent and show that to whoever is going to run the ad. Suppose the penalty for a candidate getting caught violating campaign law wasn't just a little fine and/or hand slap, but disqualification from whatever office s/he was running for. Sure, the repugs would try to set up the dems with fake "violations" but when they got caught, they'd be disqualified too.

I don't think contribution limits help very much. If you made everybody run on their own money, only the very wealthy would win, making it even worse than it already is.

Yeah, I appreciated Bloomberg's efforts this year, and if it was money that gets Trump out, it's worth it long term. But it's still a horrible waste and we need a better system. But it isn't something that can be solved easily or directly at least in part because the politicians who should be making the new rules are the ones benefitting from the current (lack of) rules. But like big wildfires, you can sometimes contain it and minimize damage even if you can't directly put it out.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am
One has to wonder how much good could be done with the billions wasted on political campaigns, but all efforts to date to limit spending have been pretty much slid around or ignored. I wonder if instead of trying to limit spending directly, it would help to curtail where and when a candidate could spend money. Let's say not allow TV/radio/social media to run ads more than 3 months before an election, and to be able to run only a limited amount of their total air time. What if a campaign had to produce hard evidence of whatever their allegations are of the opponent and show that to whoever is going to run the ad. Suppose the penalty for a candidate getting caught violating campaign law wasn't just a little fine and/or hand slap, but disqualification from whatever office s/he was running for. Sure, the repugs would try to set up the dems with fake "violations" but when they got caught, they'd be disqualified too.

I don't think contribution limits help very much. If you made everybody run on their own money, only the very wealthy would win, making it even worse than it already is.

Yeah, I appreciated Bloomberg's efforts this year, and if it was money that gets Trump out, it's worth it long term. But it's still a horrible waste and we need a better system. But it isn't something that can be solved easily or directly at least in part because the politicians who should be making the new rules are the ones benefitting from the current (lack of) rules. But like big wildfires, you can sometimes contain it and minimize damage even if you can't directly put it out.
The FCC had the "fairness doctrine" from 1949 until it was revoked in 85 by......Republicans. The rest is history.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
One has to wonder how much good could be done with the billions wasted on political campaigns, but all efforts to date to limit spending have been pretty much slid around or ignored. I wonder if instead of trying to limit spending directly, it would help to curtail where and when a candidate could spend money....
We need your ideas plus many others, through legislative action and constitutional amendment. Without a comprehensive package, progress will be shaky.

For example, campaign ads can be disguised to look like 1A advocacy by purporting to urge you to call to sway or praise a pol. The sponsors don't care a bit about calls, the whole point is to affect voters with the ad content.

I'm not very hopeful. Besides having a con SCOTUS for years, the biggest beneficiaries of the obscenity are the mostly TV media that we rely so heavily on to inform us on issues. That's a huge conflict of interest, as corrupting as what happens to the pols.

One group trying to do the right thing:

https://www.issueone.org/
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:11 pm
O Really wrote:
One has to wonder how much good could be done with the billions wasted on political campaigns, but all efforts to date to limit spending have been pretty much slid around or ignored. I wonder if instead of trying to limit spending directly, it would help to curtail where and when a candidate could spend money....
We need your ideas plus many others, through legislative action and constitutional amendment. Without a comprehensive package, progress will be shaky.

For example, campaign ads can be disguised to look like 1A advocacy by purporting to urge you to call to sway or praise a pol. The sponsors don't care a bit about calls, the whole point is to affect voters with the ad content.

I'm not very hopeful. Besides having a con SCOTUS for years, the biggest beneficiaries of the obscenity are the mostly TV media that we rely so heavily on to inform us on issues. That's a huge conflict of interest, as corrupting as what happens to the pols.

I don't see a comprehensive package happening unless Biden and a dem Senate and dem House majority can slam it through before 2022. And there are a long long list of things they're going to have on their to do list in that time. But chipping away is better than nothing. Restricting advertising is something that could theoretically be done fairly easily. You can't advertise cigarettes on TV; they don't have to take advertising for Perverts r Us; require them to limit the times and types of campaign ads.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Just what the GOP want. Then they can squawk and quack about deficit spending and distract their attention span of a goldfish supporters.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:36 pm
Just what the GOP want. Then they can squawk and quack about deficit spending and distract their attention span of a goldfish supporters.
Now there's something else for them to whine about. I love seeing these kinds of stories in the right-wing Moonie Times.
Wisconsin GOP hacked, $2.3 million taken

... “Cybercriminals, using a sophisticated phishing attack, stole funds intended for the reelection of President Trump, altered invoices, and committed wire fraud,” Andrew Hitt, Republican Party of Wisconsin chairman, said in a statement. “These criminals exhibited a level of familiarity with state party operations at the end of the campaign to commit this crime....

:shock:
A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.”—Orwell, 1984

Trump’s America:

How it started

How it’s going

Article and more tweets
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Because 3 AM tweetstorms are normal for a candidate that's leading in all the polls.

Ten tweets total, his usual brilliance in wordsmithing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:11 am
Because 3 AM tweetstorms are normal for a candidate that's leading in all the polls.

Ten tweets total, his usual brilliance in wordsmithing.
Hey 45SHOLE, you're supposed to be urging SCOTUS to follow the Constitution and law, not revealing the promises your appointees made to you in private.

Eric Trump says election night party will likely be moved from Trump hotel to White House

Translation: The family knows that PINO is a LOSER that's cowering from the Trump International Hotel Washington and his own misguided supporters like they're Vietnam.
1312. ETTD.