Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:41 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:25 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 am
a $250K ... CA home.
:lol: :lol:
Way out where Joshua Trees grow I suspect one could build a mansion or something pretty modest, especially if it's partially DIY like these folks are doing.
Maybe, if you get far enough out, like a couple of miles from the Arizona line and 50 miles north of nowhere. But the article referenced "neighbor" and "lot" so I'm guessing it's not that far out. Lots of Joshua Trees around Palm Springs and Coachella Valley and probably more people who would turn you in for cutting them down.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Report: Appalachian states face billions in mining cleanup
A new report says the cleanup and reclaiming of coal mines in seven Appalachian states will cost billions

Duh.
... “As more coal companies declare bankruptcy, fewer companies remain to take over mines, so the number of companies forfeiting reclamation bonds and deserting their cleanup responsibilities will only increase," the report said.
Double duh.
... The seven states, which also include Alabama, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia, have about 633,000 acres (256,000 hectares) in need of reclamation. Kentucky and West Virginia have about 400,000 of those acres (162,000 hectares), the report said....
NC has other enviro problems, but we are fortunate that we never had coal despite being braced by it.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

2 dead, 30 injured after leak at _______ chemical plant

Guess the state.
Spoiler:
I guessed Texas or LA. Ain't deregulation and lack of enforcement grand?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I knew the answer since I read about it earlier today. I'm waiting to hear how much the corporation gets from insurance and how many nearby residents get nothing and how the local authorities will pronounce it a great thing and how they wish for another leak, spill, or blast.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Yeah, I read about that guy earlier. Hope he gets to stay at his place. I bet he could give Whack9 some pointers about harvesting wild stuff you can eat. Probably an expert on it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:48 am
Yeah, I read about that guy earlier. Hope he gets to stay at his place. I bet he could give Whack9 some pointers about harvesting wild stuff you can eat. Probably an expert on it.
"Lidstone" ;)
Fire destroys cabin of New Hampshire man forced out of woods

... The vast bulk of Lidstone’s personal items had been removed from the cabin before the fire, Giles’ attorney Lisa Snow Wade said Wednesday night. Several outbuildings remained, and no animals were found, either running around or deceased, Canterbury Fire Chief Michael Gamache said....

Lidstone’s decision to live in the woods is “exactly the lifestyle he wants,” said his brother, Vincent Lidstone, 77, of Lafayette, Georgia.

“What they’re doing to him isn’t right for anybody, whether he’s my brother or anybody’s brother,” he said. “He’s 81 years old. Leave him alone.”

... It’s unclear where Lidstone would go. Vincent Lidstone said he doesn’t have the resources to help him. The Associated Press reached two of his three sons, who said they haven’t been in touch with their father recently. His daughter didn’t respond to a message seeking comment....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

After 27 years I would think that he has some sort of claim on the property.

No matter who owns the land, the fire should be investigated as arson (and the asshole should be locked up)
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:09 am
After 27 years I would think that he has some sort of claim on the property....
I wondered, but since the legal fight has been going on since 2016-17, apparently not.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:08 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:09 am
After 27 years I would think that he has some sort of claim on the property....
I wondered, but since the legal fight has been going on since 2016-17, apparently not.
It looks like he would be fine in 49 states

https://www.american-apartment-owners-a ... ights-law/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:25 pm

Idk and sure don't know how that website applies to his situation - hopefully the judges do - but the owner supposedly did not find out about him until 2015 and took immediate steps to evict him. Plus, from the original article:
But even if there were a way to allow Lidstone to stay, it would be an uphill battle. His home was in violation of local and state zoning and environmental regulations, and there was no access to a road.
Someone may be charged for the arson, but my GUESS is that no replacement cabin will ever be built.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Idk and sure don't know how that website applies to his situation - hopefully the judges do - but the owner supposedly did not find out about him until 2015 and took immediate steps to evict him. Plus, from the original article:
But even if there were a way to allow Lidstone to stay, it would be an uphill battle. His home was in violation of local and state zoning and environmental regulations, and there was no access to a road.
Someone may be charged for the arson, but my GUESS is that no replacement cabin will ever be built.
Did you read past the heading?

"What is a squatter?
"A squatter is any individual who decides to inhabit a piece of land or a building in which they have no legal right to occupy. The squatter lives in the building or on the property they select without paying rent and without lawful documentation stating they own the property, are a law-abiding tenant, or that they have permission to use or access the area."

Then it list the 49 states that have any type of squatter laws.
New Hampshire has none. It reads to me that after 27 years he couldn't have been removed from any of the other 49 states.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Then there's this

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... ssion.html

NH law says it was his after 20 years

I hope the publicity inspires a good attorney

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Then there's this

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... ssion.html

NH law says it was his after 20 years

I hope the publicity inspires a good attorney
I would hope that the judges drew on more legal resources than two websites, but idk.

It doesn't sound like he was asserting squatter's rights. Instead:
Lidstone, who doesn’t have an attorney, insisted that his cabin is a hunting and fishing camp, not a home. He also argued that Giles doesn’t own the property but is being pressured by the town.
Regardless, squatting may confer limited property rights, but it doesn't achieve exemption from zoning and environmental regulations. Sounds like he was screwed regardless of any squatting resolution.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I consider wingnut right wing nutjobs much more of a threat than one squatter. I sure would hate to see what those Missouri "lawyers" that were pardoned for brandishing guns in a menacing manner would do if they found this guy in their back yard. I would hope they'd die of shock.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

“I will build a great wall—and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me—and I’ll build them very inexpensively,” Trump said when he announced his run for president in 2015. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

https://gizmodo.com/trumps-border-wall- ... 1847535174

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:42 pm
“I will build a great wall—and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me—and I’ll build them very inexpensively,” Trump said when he announced his run for president in 2015. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

https://gizmodo.com/trumps-border-wall- ... 1847535174
Pulitzer pic!

De nada, mis latinos.
-- Jesus Cristo
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.