War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: War on Women

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah. I never voted for that. WHat the fuck? I thought Mitch had a handle on these wingnuts. He must still be rattled from his stomping or else he's up to his same old treacherous self.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:54 pm
Even his GQP buddies think he's an asshole:

GOP senators grow weary of Tuberville abortion stalemate on defense nominees

It's a messed up system that allows just one Sen from either party to block important work.
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:16 pm
Yeah. I never voted for that. What the fuck? I thought Mitch had a handle on these wingnuts. He must still be rattled from his stomping or else he's up to his same old treacherous self.
I haven't seen mention of Tuberville's traitorous and misogynistic obstructionism for a couple of weeks. Did he relent?

DO be evil:

Google promised to delete sensitive data. It logged my abortion clinic visit.

:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Here's an idea. If you want to go somewhere you don't want to be tracked, turn off the location feature on your phone. But if the abortion gestapo actually took legal action, they could still identify where your phone went by what it pinged. So turn off the phone or get a burner for your clandestine trips. Your privacy, or lack thereof, is your responsibility - not Google's or the owners of the hundreds of cameras that photographed you on the way to the clinic.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:54 pm
Even his GQP buddies think he's an asshole:

GOP senators grow weary of Tuberville abortion stalemate on defense nominees

It's a messed up system that allows just one Sen from either party to block important work.
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:16 pm
Yeah. I never voted for that. What the fuck? I thought Mitch had a handle on these wingnuts. He must still be rattled from his stomping or else he's up to his same old treacherous self.
I haven't seen mention of Tuberville's traitorous and misogynistic obstructionism for a couple of weeks. Did he relent?

DO be evil:

Google promised to delete sensitive data. It logged my abortion clinic visit.

:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
Relent? Are you fucking kidding me? That cracker will never relent....he's relentless. A relentless nutjob. He's nearly as fucking crazy as Marsha, the wicked bitch of the southeast. She made healines today for some stupid shit. I forgot what it even was. But it was stupid.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Bahaha finally someone counter-annoying these pro forced birth people in Greenville

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnewsvideo ... e_cops_on/

More vidz

https://m.facebook.com/UpstateClinicDefenders/

I used to pass this place almost every day. There would sometimes be a protestor or two out there. Guess it's gotten wilder now that roe v Wade was overturned.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:16 pm
Bahaha finally someone counter-annoying these pro forced birth people in Greenville

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnewsvideo ... e_cops_on/

More vidz

https://m.facebook.com/UpstateClinicDefenders/

I used to pass this place almost every day. There would sometimes be a protestor or two out there. Guess it's gotten wilder now that roe v Wade was overturned.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have we settled on a name for a male Karen?
Ken? (most popular)
Richard? ("Dick" is apt)
Chad? (my favorite)
She has an uncontrolled vagina, of course he's terrified.
“I am trying to harass women and this woman keeps harassing me!”
So you dont like being stalked??? Maybe stop STALKING women going to the Doctor.
It's not anti-choice anymore, they're forced birthers.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

For male Karens, I submit "Lindsey" and :Kevin."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:31 am
For male Karens, I submit "Lindsey" and "Kevin."
:lol: :thumbup:

Petty traitor:

Angry Ex-Staffers Speak Out on 'Pro-Choice' Democrat's Stunning Abortion Betrayal
“I wish I could say that she took a giant bag of cash at an IHOP and that’s why she did this—but it’s so much dumber than that,” her former aide told Jezebel.

Gov Cooper veto anticipated today. Tricia Cotham (R-Charlotte) has one last chance to protect tens of thousands of NC and neighboring state women from forced birthing.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

North Carolina Republicans Override Veto, Allowing 12-Week Abortion Ban To Become Law
A GOP supermajority quashed Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto of a 12-week ban that was fast-tracked through the legislature.

... The state has experienced a 37% increase in abortions since Roe fell — the highest percentage increase of any state. Florida, the state with the second highest increase in abortions since Dobbs, is also staring down a six-week abortion ban that is likely to go into effect in July. These restrictions are only expected to create more barriers to care, forcing people who can do so to travel even farther to get abortions, and other people to continue with unwanted pregnancies.

North Carolina Republicans crafted the abortion ban behind closed doors, unveiling it earlier this month to the surprise of many voters in the state. Instead of introducing a new piece of legislation, Republican lawmakers quietly tucked the 46-page abortion restriction into an unrelated piece of legislation. The move allowed anti-abortion lawmakers to circumvent the committee process, where most public testimony is heard, and go straight to a vote.

“Senate Republicans know that by talking about abortion, it’s bad for them,” state Sen. Sydney Batch (D) told HuffPost on Monday. “They want this done as quickly as possible. They want to hold this override and they want to be done talking about abortion.”

The 12-week abortion ban carries a laundry list of other restrictions, including a 72-hour waiting period, a ban on medication abortion after 10 weeks and a requirement that patients go to a clinic twice before receiving abortion care....

There are only 14 abortion clinics in North Carolina, meaning 91% of counties are without a clinic. And the legislation will impose new licensing requirements on abortion clinics, which could lead to some shutting down.

“The Republican Party has proven that they will not stop until every American loses their reproductive freedom ― and the North Carolina GOP has shown that once again, Republicans cannot be trusted with our rights,” Heather Williams, Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee interim president, said in a statement Tuesday night....
Montana Governor Signs Law Banning Second-Trimester Abortions
The law prohibits Montana residents from electively having a dilation and evacuation abortion after about 15 weeks of pregnancy.

... People who violate the new law can face a fine of up to $50,000, a prison sentence of five to 10 years, or both. Physicians who perform these abortions when it’s not a medical emergency can face a minimum one-year suspension of their state medical license, as well as fines....

The legislation is one of four GOP-backed abortion restrictions that Gianforte signed into law on Tuesday, along with five others he signed earlier this month, the Montana Free Press reported....

The ban on dilation and evacuation abortions after the second trimester arrives days after Montana’s Supreme Court upheld a ruling that allows some nurses to provide abortions, and reaffirmed a right to abortion under the state constitution’s right to privacy.

In the U.S., 14 states have banned most abortions. According to The New York Times, about half the states in the country are expected to try to enact bans or gestational limits on the procedure.
Go MTSC Go.

I'm sorry, America, especially southern and western women. :( :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unscientific WLOS TV Asheville and WNC poll:

Do you support Senate Bill 20 becoming law?
Yes 42 %
No 58 % including me
692 votes

Good, wish it was better.

Open • 2 days remaining
https://wlos.com/news/local/poll-do-you ... coming-law#
Help get us to 60%.
Granddaughter of longtime U.S. senator hopes to reverse legacy of anti-abortion policies

... Ellen Gaddy, the granddaughter of former U.S. Senator Jesse Helms, was raised in a conservative family, in the shadow of a man who championed an agenda that included fierce opposition to Roe v. Wade and any effort to compromise on the issue of abortion.

For Gaddy, given the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of the landmark court decision and the rise of anti-abortion legislation in North Carolina, the time was right to take a public stand....

“I will always fight to reverse his legacy on reproductive freedom,” she told News 13....

“I looked at the reproductive issue as a personal liberty and freedom (issue),” she said. “I cannot believe that more Republican women are not offended that politicians are trying to control their bodies.”

... Helms was elected to the United States Senate in 1972 and took his seat in 1973. He championed the opposition to racial integration, women’s rights, gay rights and abortion rights. Highly popular in North Carolina at the time, he was elected to five terms and became the longest serving U.S. senator in the state’s history. Today, however, support for his anti-abortion position in North Carolina is far more tenuous.

In a recent Meredith College poll of North Carolina voters, 57.1% supported either keeping or expanding abortion access, 34.7% supported further restrictions and 8.1% are undecided....
57-35. That's fucked up that we have a misogynist super majority.

GoGaddyGo!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Quickly getting to be North Carorida. If Dems can't hold the guv's job in '24, you're all screwed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:10 pm
Quickly getting to be North Carorida. If Dems can't hold the guv's job in '24, you're all screwed.
If RepuQs retain a super majority in '24, we're still screwed even with a (de facto ceremonial) Dem Gov.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

War on Babies & Families

The short life of Baby Milo

Nobody expected Baby Milo to live for long.

He arrived in the world with no kidneys, underdeveloped lungs and a life expectancy of between 20 minutes and a couple of hours.

He lived for 99 minutes....

Deborah and her husband, Lee, learned in late November that their baby had Potter syndrome, a rare and lethal condition that plunged them into an unsettled legal landscape....

For the next three months, the Dorberts did their best to prepare for their second son's short life. They consulted with palliative care experts and decided against trying to prolong his life with high-tech interventions.

"The most important thing for us was to let him know he was loved," Deborah said.

The day before Milo was born, the Dorberts sat down with their son Kaiden to explain that the baby's body had stopped working and that he would not come home. Instead, some day, they told Kaiden, they would all meet as angels. The 4-year-old burst into tears, telling them that he did not want to be an angel....

"When he came out you could hear him gasping for air. He was really trying to breathe. ... He didn't cry when he was born and he didn't open his eyes at all. But I mean, he struggled." - Deborah Dorbert

... Milo remained blue, swaddled in a blanket hand-knit by his great grandmother.

He never cried or tried to nurse or even opened his eyes, investing every ounce of energy in intermittent gasps for air.

"That was the beginning of the end," (grandfather) Rogell said, recalling the persistent gulps that he thought at first were hiccups but turned out to be his grandson's labored efforts to inhale.

Lee read a book to his dying son - "I'll Love You Forever," a family favorite that the Dorberts had given Kaiden for Valentine's Day - and sang Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds."

For 99 minutes that lasted a lifetime, they cuddled and comforted their newborn....

Two weeks later, about 40 of the Dorberts' friends and family members gathered at Lakeland Funeral Home and Memorial Gardens for a service....

Deborah occasionally stifled sobs or turned to quiet Kaiden, until she could contain her feelings no longer, and Lee reached over to embrace her slender shaking frame.

Rogell lingered at the funeral home after others left, staring at the urn that contained his 16th grandchild's ashes and trying to reconcile his own misgivings about elective abortion with the months of suffering he watched his daughter and her family endure.

Now, he was haunted by the sound of Milo gasping for air and the sight of his body struggling to ward off a death that had been inevitable for three long months.

"To me it's just pure torture," Rogell said. "The law has created torture."

... Deborah says she is wrestling with anxiety and depression. She hasn't returned to her part-time job filling Instacart orders. And she still hasn't figured out how to respond to Kaiden, when he asks whether he can see his baby brother.

"We tell him he's something he feels, like the wind. Or we point up to the stars and say he's an angel with the stars," she said. "We're still kind of navigating that question, for him to understand."

Kaiden brought a card home from preschool for Mother's Day. It showed a family of four purple stick figures with bulging torsos - Mommy, Daddy, Kaiden and Baby Milo.

Deborah said her grief is complicated by ongoing anger that her decision to terminate her pregnancy early was thwarted by politicians she has never met and who are not experts about obstetrics.

The mail brings reminders of the Dorberts' new financial burdens, invoices for all the things they wish had never happened: $12,320 so far in medical costs - not including induction and delivery, $7,000 for Milo's cremation and funeral, and $500 for the keepsakes in memory of their son.

The bills keep coming. Deborah estimates that Lee's health insurance will pick up about half of the medical costs, some of which will be offset by a GoFundMe appeal that one of her sisters set up.

The Dorberts have no idea how their grief will evolve, or if they will ever come to terms with losing control over the most painful decision of their lives....

"If people want to really know how I'm doing, I'm not doing okay." - Deborah Dorbert

- - -

In the midst of that uncertainty, Deborah has endeavored to find some purpose in Milo's short life, sharing the story of her pregnancy as broadly as she can, even as she has watched Florida legislators move to restrict state laws around abortion even further.

It surprises family members to see Deborah take such a public stance.

"I always thought of her as my shy child," Rogell said.

But Deborah wants other people to know what happened, how politicians intervened in decisions about medical care with a law that made doctors fearful of terminating even hopeless pregnancies.

"If it helps another family or a mom, then good came of it because we're all here to help one another," Deborah said. "It's not something easy to go through alone. You need all the support you can get."
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RepuQs torture babies. :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:47 pm
Here's an idea. If you want to go somewhere you don't want to be tracked, turn off the location feature on your phone. But if the abortion gestapo actually took legal action, they could still identify where your phone went by what it pinged. So turn off the phone or get a burner for your clandestine trips. Your privacy, or lack thereof, is your responsibility - not Google's or the owners of the hundreds of cameras that photographed you on the way to the clinic.
Speaking of abortion gestapo, here's a plot line from The Handmaid's Tale . . . oh wait, it's irl.

Nebraska Teen Pleads Guilty to Charges Related to Self-Managed Abortion
Celeste Burgess, 18, faces up to two years in prison for taking abortion pills and burying a stillborn fetus in 2022. Her mother faces eight years.

:( :angry-banghead: :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sounds like Handmaid's Tale until you look at the details. She was 29 weeks pregnant, and apparently a birth at that time has an 80+ % chance of survival. And then she basically got rid of the fetus' body like it was roadkill. All that would have been suspect even before Roe v. Wade went away. We could discuss whether the specific charges and/or sentence were fair/appropriate, but I think most would agree that was a bad thing to do and not a normal abortion issue.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

SC juat passed a six week abortion ban.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:11 am
Sounds like Handmaid's Tale until you look at the details. She was 29 weeks pregnant, and apparently a birth at that time has an 80+ % chance of survival. And then she basically got rid of the fetus' body like it was roadkill. All that would have been suspect even before Roe v. Wade went away. We could discuss whether the specific charges and/or sentence were fair/appropriate, but I think most would agree that was a bad thing to do and not a normal abortion issue.
Still "very preterm" and that's 80+ % chance of survival with massive intervention and there's still a 10% or greater chance of longterm deficits. How well would you have coped at 17?

Idk about you, but I maybe move roadkill to the shoulder and always leave it for the roads dept to deal with. We don't know what level of respect was brought to this fetus' cremation and burial.

No, it's "not a normal abortion issue" but what is in a state as misogynist as Nebraska?

The issues involved are more complex than either of us presented them.
https://www.courthousenews.com/horrible ... -abortion/
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'm neither judging nor defending Celeste's decision to end her pregnancy even at the late date. And I'm certainly not defending the Nebraska prosecutors. But as the article said, "the facts are bad" and I think it would have been predictable that some kind of charges would get filed. If they hadn't left the email trail and if they'd stuck to their stillborn story and if they'd taken the body to a real crematorium, they'd likely have been fine. But "if a frog..."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:57 am
I'm neither judging nor defending Celeste's decision to end her pregnancy even at the late date. And I'm certainly not defending the Nebraska prosecutors. But as the article said, "the facts are bad" and I think it would have been predictable that some kind of charges would get filed. If they hadn't left the email trail and if they'd stuck to their stillborn story and if they'd taken the body to a real crematorium, they'd likely have been fine. But "if a frog..."
:thumbup: That's why I call it NSAbook. Voice phone calls - remember those? - and no provable "crime". Even the burial might have been tolerated. Why should the state get ownership of an actual miscarriage? Then, STFU. If one has committed a potential crime, DON'T talk about it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:20 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:57 am
:thumbup: That's why I call it NSAbook. Voice phone calls - remember those? - and no provable "crime".
Yeah Facebook, not email. Opps. Takes some kind of stupid to post very private, very personal, possible illegal messages on Facebook. Overall, however, I think I blame the mother the most for not getting Celeste an abortion that would have been safe and legal (outside Nebraska) Madison NE is only 100 miles from Sioux City, where abortions are still legal to 20 weeks.