War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Women

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:39 am
Let's see, how much do I make from selling this in Alaska, Iowa, Kansas and Montana? How much would it cost me to defend even a baseless lawsuit that I eventually win? Hmmmm. And then there's the possibility that if I don't sell it and blame the states that the people affected will elect different/better people. And if they don't? Well, there's other markets.
The only way to look at it is how many women will be negatively impacted by the refusal to sell in states where it's legal.

That should be enough, but there's also how much will it cost to lose business from CA and millions of others due to crappy PR?
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:30 am

I use an indy pharmacy, anyhow.
That's good if it works for you. Not so much once you're away from your home area, though.
Very few are vagabonds like you. I and most people can carry sufficient meds on our limited trips. Even if I lost an Rx I'm sure that I could work something out between my pharmacy and MD.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:thumbup:

New phrase to me: gestation-forcers.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:39 am
Let's see, how much do I make from selling this in Alaska, Iowa, Kansas and Montana? How much would it cost me to defend even a baseless lawsuit that I eventually win? Hmmmm. And then there's the possibility that if I don't sell it and blame the states that the people affected will elect different/better people. And if they don't? Well, there's other markets.
The only way to look at it is how many women will be negatively impacted by the refusal to sell in states where it's legal.

That should be enough, but there's also how much will it cost to lose business from CA and millions of others due to crappy PR?
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:30 am

I use an indy pharmacy, anyhow.
That's good if it works for you. Not so much once you're away from your home area, though.
Very few are vagabonds like you. I and most people can carry sufficient meds on our limited trips. Even if I lost an Rx I'm sure that I could work something out between my pharmacy and MD.
They're still selling in all states where it's deemed legal. Not selling in states where they're likely to get sued, even if there's a legal technicality. I like Newsom a lot, but IMNVHO this is not California's fight.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Glad I live close to woke Alabama
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:43 pm
They're still selling in all states where it's deemed legal. Not selling in states where they're likely to get sued, even if there's a legal technicality. I like Newsom a lot, but IMNVHO this is not California's fight.
No "deemed". It IS legal in Alaska, Iowa, Kansas and Montana.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

This is from Britain, but it doth not bode well.
"Women’s rights have gone ‘too far’, say majority of Gen Z and millennials, study shows"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/women-rights ... 00201.html

O Really
Admiral

In a case of local interest, a former female news anchor in a second-tier TV station successfully sued her former employer for treating her badly and eventually not renewing her contract. Although she did not win on her age/gender discrimination or malice claims, she did win on her California Equal Pay claim, awarded $1.5 mill. If the station had hired anybody at all from my former firm, including a first year associate, they would have been better off. It was one of the most own-dick-stepping, tone deaf defences I've ever seen. Anyway, score one for the women on womens' recognition day.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... as-verdict

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Just goes to show that second tier tv stations get first tier fish slapped, stomped, and come out, if at all, third tier tv stations. They might as well sell out to Newsmax or OAN.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:31 pm
:thumbup:

New phrase to me: gestation-forcers.
Unhealthy gestation-forcers:
Idaho Republican abortion bans have Hospital ending Labor and Delivery Services

CBS News reports an Idaho healthcare facility will no longer be offering labor and delivery services, citing a shortage of doctors and a politicized healthcare environment.
An Idaho hospital will stop labor and delivery services, citing doctor shortages and the "political climate," the hospital announced Friday.

"Highly respected, talented physicians are leaving. Recruiting replacements will be extraordinarily difficult," Bonner General Health, located in the city of Sandpoint, said in a news release.

Pregnant women who utilized Bonner General, a 25-bed hospital, will now have to drive to hospitals or birthing centers in Coeur d'Alene or Spokane to give birth.

In 2022, doctors delivered 265 babies at Bonner General and admitted less than 10 pediatric patients, the hospital said....
According to Apple Maps, it would take roughly an hour and a half to drive 76 miles to Spokane, and at least an hour to drive 48 miles to Coeur d’Alene — and that’s when weather is good. There’s an obvious need for local birthing services....
67.16% of Bonner County voted for Dolt .45 in 2020. RepuQs despise women, children and fetuses.
Idaho has one of the most restrictive abortion bans in the country. According to the Associated Press, in a court brief filed in August 2022 in support of a Justice Department lawsuit against the Idaho abortion ban, medical groups argued that Idaho physicians are forced to choose whether to break state or federal law.

In a report last September, Pew found that Idaho was one of six states in which authorities can prosecute health care providers for performing abortions.

"The Idaho Legislature continues to introduce and pass bills that criminalize physicians for medical care nationally recognized as the standard of care. Consequences for Idaho Physicians providing the standard of care may include civil litigation and criminal prosecution, leading to jail time or fines," Bonner General said in its news statement.
The Republican war on women is part of the GOP war on healthcare in general. Hospitals are closing in rural areas in Red States because they can’t afford to treat people who can’t pay — but they can’t deny them emergency care either. The refusal by Republicans to expand Medicaid in red states is killing people for lack of ready access to health care because of those closings.

Idaho does have Medicaid expansion — but only because voters were able to pass it through a referendum. Republicans being Republicans, they did what they could to keep voters from getting what they voted for ...
RepuQs despise voters.
Republican healthcare fanaticism is likely part of why the U.S. is now leading the developed world in maternal mortality death rates. There used to be a saying — the GOP’s “right to life” ends at birth. For the people of Sand Point, Idaho, it doesn’t even extend to birth now.

... “Party of Life” is just another Big Lie.
:(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

There's a push to provide free menstrual products in public schools. We had a discussion about this in the NFL thread because Tony Dungy threw a fit over boys' bathrooms being included in the MN bill:
viewtopic.php?p=179724#p179724

Even without the inclusion of boys' bathrooms Idaho don't play that:

Idaho Republicans Call Free Tampons In Schools Too ‘Woke’ — And Block Them
Only 15 states and Washington, D.C., have passed legislation to provide students with free access to menstrual products in schools.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know that this is part of the "war" but it did result in some pissed off women:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/m ... 51ff2&ei=9

From the (Canadian) city that rhymes with 'fun'

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:18 pm
I don't know that this is part of the "war" but it did result in some pissed off women:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/m ... r-AA190mdW

From the (Canadian) city that rhymes with 'fun'
:headscratch: Are they not fun? Ah, a culprit:
... While the rebranding of Tourism Regina to Experience Regina received light praise for its evocation of a joke which is 14 years old (during a Regina performance of the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger called it “the city that rhymes with fun”), the organization is now linked at the hip to this disastrous launch. Reid doesn’t know if that controversy will taint Experience Regina forever....
Ironic that his first name also rhymes with 'fun'.

May I put my Mick in your Regina?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:29 pm
:D

Cristofascist asshole traitor of the week:
Austin confronts GOP senator for blocking military nominations over abortion policy

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin warned Tuesday that military readiness could be impaired by the growing list of senior military nominations being blocked by Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville over his opposition to a Pentagon abortion policy.

"Not approving the recommendation for promotions actually creates a ripple effect with the force that makes us far less ready than we need to be," Austin said responding to a question from Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Jack Reed, D-R.I., during a hearing on the Pentagon's defense budget.

Tuberville has been blocking military nominations since last month, over a Pentagon policy that covers the travel costs of service members seeking abortions in states outside of where they are stationed if their base is located in a state that bans the procedure.
:obscene-birdiered:
... After the hearing, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D, N.Y., lambasted Tuberville for blocking the Pentagon promotions.

"GOP Senator Tuberville is inflicting unnecessary damage to our military by blocking the promotion of 160 officers," Schumer said in a tweet.

"For what? So he can push the MAGA hard line on blocking women's choice? Women in the military are more than capable of making their own healthcare decisions," Schumer said.
:---P
... "Almost one in five of our troops are women. And they don't get a chance to choose where their station, so almost 80,000 of our women are stationed in places that where they don't have access to non-covered reproductive health care," Austin said....
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Figures.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:18 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:29 pm
:D

Austin confronts GOP senator for blocking military nominations over abortion policy

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin warned Tuesday that military readiness could be impaired by the growing list of senior military nominations being blocked by Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville over his opposition to a Pentagon abortion policy.

"Not approving the recommendation for promotions actually creates a ripple effect with the force that makes us far less ready than we need to be," Austin said responding to a question from Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Jack Reed, D-R.I., during a hearing on the Pentagon's defense budget.

Tuberville has been blocking military nominations since last month, over a Pentagon policy that covers the travel costs of service members seeking abortions in states outside of where they are stationed if their base is located in a state that bans the procedure.
... After the hearing, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D, N.Y., lambasted Tuberville for blocking the Pentagon promotions.

"GOP Senator Tuberville is inflicting unnecessary damage to our military by blocking the promotion of 160 officers," Schumer said in a tweet.

"For what? So he can push the MAGA hard line on blocking women's choice? Women in the military are more than capable of making their own healthcare decisions," Schumer said.
:---P
... "Almost one in five of our troops are women. And they don't get a chance to choose where their station, so almost 80,000 of our women are stationed in places that where they don't have access to non-covered reproductive health care," Austin said....
Rather than relying on the merits of their arguments to convince citizens that abortion ought to be outlawed, they instead rely on trickery and underhanded tactics like the above. It's essentially like an abuser threatening the well being of their family to get his or her way. All of these things they've been doing, like that recent ruling by that judge in Texas over the abortion pill, are all death by a thousand cuts.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:21 am
Rather than relying on the merits of their arguments to convince citizens that abortion ought to be outlawed, they instead rely on trickery and underhanded tactics like the above. It's essentially like an abuser threatening the well being of their family to get his or her way. All of these things they've been doing, like that recent ruling by that judge in Texas over the abortion pill, are all death by a thousand cuts.
Spot on metaphor, and they are obsessed and relentless.
Dueling federal rulings plunge future of abortion pill into legal uncertainty

Competing rulings by federal judges in Texas and Washington on Friday plunged the future of mifepristone, a key abortion drug, into uncertainty.

A ruling by U.S. District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk in Texas, a Trump appointee, put a halt on government approval of the drug, potentially decimating access to medication abortion nationwide. But just minutes later, a federal judge in Washington, Obama appointee U.S. District Judge Thomas O. Rice, ordered the Food and Drug Administration not to make any changes that would restrict access to the drug in 17 states and D.C. that sued to expand access to mifepristone.

The consequences of the rulings, at least in the short term, will be that access to mifepristone remains unchanged, because Kacsmaryk gave seven days for the federal government to appeal, which the Justice Department has committed to do.

The legal battle seems destined for argument before the nation's Supreme Court Justices, an upcoming challenge that is worrying abortion rights advocates about access to a drug long hailed as safe by federal regulators....
Kacsmaryk is a living breathing violation of the Establishment Clause. He is a big step towards a christofascist theocracy.

:angry-banghead: :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Tweens

Ohio groomer:

Anti-Abortion Activist on 10-Year-Old Rape Victim: ‘A Woman’s Body Is Designed to Carry Life’

:puke-left: :obscene-birdiered:

The RepuQ Party is dominated by proud authoritarians now.

Laura Strietmann, head of Cincinnati Right to Life is a sick groomer. She wants Big Brother's filthy hands shoved into the wombs of not only women but children, too. Disgusting.
Anti abortion advocates are against States Rights, democracy, privacy, individual autonomy, and the separation of Church and State. They are anti the US Constitution and Law and Order. They are pushing their own version of Sharia Law.
If a woman does not believe in abortion she can choose not to have one. Leave the rest of the women alone.
Ugh. Maybe you can relate to these heroes:

These volunteer pilots fly people to other states to get abortions, gender-affirming care: 'My plane is the great equalizer'

:clap: :-|| 158 years after the end of the Civil War we need our own version of the Underground Railroad.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:14 am
Whack9 wrote:
Spot on metaphor, and they are obsessed and relentless.

Dueling federal rulings plunge future of abortion pill into legal uncertainty

Kacsmaryk is a living breathing violation of the Establishment Clause. He is a big step towards a christofascist theocracy.

:angry-banghead: :(
Just now SCOTUS issued a full stay on implementation of Kacsmaryk's ruling. 7-2 with Thomas and Alito, of course, dissenting. This is not final, it just means that things can play out in lower courts and SCOTUS may take it up later.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: , at the moment.

Everyone is stocking up. Then, there will always be smuggling.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:18 am

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin warned Tuesday that military readiness could be impaired by the growing list of senior military nominations being blocked by Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville over his opposition to a Pentagon abortion policy....

Even more:

GOP Sen. Tuberville blocked 184 military promotions in his ongoing abortion fight with the Pentagon
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Even his GQP buddies think he's an asshole:

GOP senators grow weary of Tuberville abortion stalemate on defense nominees

It's a messed up system that allows just one Sen from either party to block important work.
1312. ETTD.