Outer space thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Outer space thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:34 pm
https://www.sciencealert.com/webb-accid ... image-drop

Galaxy side view
Mind blown (again).
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:34 pm
https://www.sciencealert.com/webb-accid ... image-drop

Galaxy side view
Cool! Even more my favorite pic than it was.

Tonight:
NOVA
Ultimate Space Telescope

Season 49, Episode 10 • New
9:00 PM EDT ON PBS • TV-PG • Stereo • CC • DVS

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, from its conception to completion.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mexican orb:

Image Australia sheep farm, 9 feet tall:

This is how cults begin. :shock:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 pm
Also today at Balboa Park, we went back to the Air and Space Museum. There's always a "back", because there's way too much to see in one trip. It's really interesting to see the progression from pre-glider to Mars Rover. Here's part of what they have on display https://sandiegoairandspace.org/collection/aircraft
When they say "replica" or "reproduction," I had expected a maybe life size model, but actually they are exact working replicas that can or could fly. F'rinstance, the only difference in the original Spirit of St. Louis and the one here is the size of the fuel tank. And of course most of the displays are "real."
Meanwhile, outdoors:
A strong geomagnetic storm is heading toward Earth, space forecasters say

... The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center on Wednesday issued a geomagnetic storm watch following recent explosions on the sun that have triggered strong solar flares and multiple “coronal mass ejections” that could reach the planet on Thursday....

“The largest storms that result from these conditions are associated with solar coronal mass ejections (CMEs) where a billion tons or so of plasma from the sun, with its embedded magnetic field, arrives at Earth,” NOAA explains.

While most of this week’s disturbances are expected to have little to no impact, there is a chance that the expected storm could reach a level of 3 out of 5 on the geomagnetic storm severity scale.

... The geomagnetic storm’s arrival also means that the northern lights could be visible as far south as Iowa on Thursday.

According to the official space forecast, the auroras “might be seen over the far Northeast, to the far upper Midwest, across portions of the north-central states, and perhaps over the northwest section of Washington state.”

... In July, the northern lights were “so bright that photographers captured the colorful show even in the heart of Seattle, where light pollution typically mutes visibility,” Fox Weather’s Andrew Wulfeck said....
Find a hill away from the lights, esp tomorrow night.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topst ... &ocid=iehp

So Artemis gets scratched again for a fuel leak. I don't know anything about rockets except that they usually go up, but that sounds like a manufacturing quality control type of thing - or maybe a result of getting parts and assembly from the lowest bidder? :lol:

And yeah, I know it's all complex and all but on a not entirely serious level I can't help wondering "hey, how complicated can this be? Over 50 years ago they sent people to the moon with black ladies and chalkboards calculating lift, thrust, angle, etc. and less computing power than most everybody now carries around on their phones. Since that time, there have been hundreds (thousands?) of satellites fly, telescopes launched and controlled from millions of miles away, flights to Mars with cruises on remote-controlled golf carts, and people living pretty much full-time at the space station. Seems getting an unmanned capsule back to the moon ought not to be so hard.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Outer space WDE to the moon

“‘War Eagle!’ is written somewhere inside that vehicle. I’m not going to say where, or who put it there, but I can assure you, ‘War Eagle’ is there.” – Joseph Pelfrey, deputy director, NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_ar ... rtemis.php
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Outer space WDE to the moon

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:40 am
“‘War Eagle!’ is written somewhere inside that vehicle. I’m not going to say where, or who put it there, but I can assure you, ‘War Eagle’ is there.” – Joseph Pelfrey, deputy director, NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_ar ... rtemis.php
Now we know. :P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Oh. I thought maybe they contracted assembly to Fiat. They seem to be having some "Fix It Again Tony" moments.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:52 am
Oh. I thought maybe they contracted assembly to Fiat. They seem to be having some "Fix It Again Tony" moments.
:D Now planned for Mid November . . . they probably mean 2022 ;) . It's the Blufield curse. Maybe someone should find and erase that "War Eagle". :P

NASA asteroid crash leaves trail of debris more than 6,000 miles long
Astronomers captured images of the comet-like trail using a telescope located in Chile.

Wow.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NASA Confirms DART Mission Impact Changed Asteroid’s Motion in Space

Analysis of data obtained over the past two weeks by NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) investigation team shows the spacecraft's kinetic impact with its target asteroid, Dimorphos, successfully altered the asteroid’s orbit. This marks humanity’s first time purposely changing the motion of a celestial object and the first full-scale demonstration of asteroid deflection technology....
:clap: :-||
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Could the story of the seven sisters constellation have been passed down from our ancestors 100,000 years ago?

https://theconversation.com/the-worlds- ... ars-151568
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:19 am
Could the story of the seven sisters constellation have been passed down from our ancestors 100,000 years ago?

https://theconversation.com/the-worlds- ... ars-151568
Thanks. I always only saw 6, thought it was just me and never looked it up.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Orionid meteor shower peaks Thursday night. Here's how to watch colorful streaks and fireballs lighting up the sky.

The Orionid meteor shower reaches its most active overnight on Thursday, peaking after midnight with about 15 shooting stars per hour.

Colorful streaks and bursting fireballs make this one of the year's most beautiful meteor showers, according to NASA. The meteors scream through Earth's atmosphere at 148,000 miles per hour — about 41 miles each second — a speed which causes the meteors to burn up and leave behind glowing trails that can linger for several seconds, if not minutes. Some become fireballs that explode with light and color.

The Orionids are visible in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, from midnight to dawn. If your local weather is clear, you could be in for a meteoric spectacle.
Clear skies here all night. Chilly, though, 30s. :clap:
The Orionids happen when Earth's orbit takes it through a lane of space debris left behind by Halley's comet. As sand-grain-sized fragments of the comet — known as meteors — strike our atmosphere almost head-on, they burn up, leaving fiery streaks in the sky.

Earth passes through Halley's wake twice a year, once starting in May and then again in October. Each pass lasts a month or so, which is why the resulting meteor showers — the Eta Aquariids in the spring, and Orionids in the fall — last for weeks.

Each shower's peak, though, occurs when our planet moves through the densest part of Halley's debris trail.

The American Meteor Society predicts the Orionids will last through November 22, so if you miss the peak on Thursday and Friday there's still time to spot them.

... If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, lie on the ground or in a deck chair with your feet facing southeast.... Give yourself as broad a view of the sky as possible — meteors can appear anywhere.

... mark your calendar for mid-November, when the Northern Taurids shower is expected to peak.
Hubble's 1995 image of a star nursery was amazing. Take a look at NASA's new version

Nearly 30 years ago, NASA's Hubble Space Telescope captured the first image of the Pillars of Creation — the iconic star nursery featuring thick pillars of gas and dust. Now, the new James Webb Space Telescope has captured NASA's most detailed image of the landscape that is helping scientists better understand how stars form.

... "Not only are there obvious stars speckled in every nook and cranny of this image, but if you look closely at the tips of the pillars, you can see this fiery redness," Banks said in a Twitter video. "It looks like a volcano spitting lava."

The red spots at the edges of some pillars come from young stars, estimated to be a few hundred thousand years old, that shoot out supersonic jets which excite surrounding hydrogen molecules and create the crimson glow....
:shock: :clap: :-||

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope captured out-of-this-world photos of Neptune and its rings.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Aa the highest among a handful, I've got a good view of all this. It's really something I'm looking forward to.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

It's incredibly difficult to accept that 100 million Americans believe that the earth is less than 10,000 years old.

Weirder still, this high number appears driven by millennials

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace ... -is-round/

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:37 am
It's incredibly difficult to accept that 100 million Americans believe that the earth is less than 10,000 years old.

Weirder still, this high number appears driven by millennials

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace ... -is-round/
"Christian" education. :D

https://today.yougov.com/topics/society ... -religious
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

So explain how if there really was a moon landing, then why no mention of the hind leg walking beavers and the 4 ft. tall moon bats fornicating in public?

https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/how-t ... d=p0d9wxyf

If you watch the video, I'm sure you'll agree that our landing was a hoax as it made no attempt to counter the 1835 hard work journalism of the New York Sun.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:50 pm
So explain how if there really was a moon landing, then why no mention of the hind leg walking beavers and the 4 ft. tall moon bats fornicating in public?

https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/how-t ... d=p0d9wxyf

If you watch the video, I'm sure you'll agree that our landing was a hoax as it made no attempt to counter the 1835 hard work journalism of the New York Sun.
:thumbup: Speaking of lunar hoaxes, I think it's very suspicious that this occurs on election day:
Last total lunar eclipse for three years arrives Tuesday

... The total lunar eclipse will be visible throughout North America in the predawn hours — the farther west, the better — and across Asia, Australia and the rest of the Pacific after sunset. As an extra treat, Uranus will be visible just a finger’s width above the moon, resembling a bright star.

Totality will last nearly 1 1/2 hours — from 5:16 a.m. to 6:41 a.m. EST — as Earth passes directly between the moon and sun....
It's clearly a Deep State/NWO distraction while early ballots are being harvested and stolen. Someone should alert the patriots at LNF.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NASA:
... For North America the action will start in the early hours of the morning on Nov. 8. The partial eclipse will begin at 3:09 a.m. CST, with totality beginning at 4:16 a.m. and ending at 5:42 a.m. Then, the partial phase will resume, lasting until 6:49 a.m. Those in the eastern part of the United States will miss most or all of the last partial phase because the Moon will set during totality or shortly after totality ends....
More info at the link.
1312. ETTD.