Outer space thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Outer space thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... -19.23,350

cool, looks like the South Pole has 4 hurricanes
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:28 am

That's cool, you can rotate the earth for different views.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

They don't even bother naming the cyclones - "Roaring Forties", "Furious Fifties" and "Shrieking Sixties".
It sucks, just putting on your pants can be literally dangerous. I prayed for a mere 5 minutes of calm, no go until we reached the ice edge. Then, we rapidly sprung a leak and had to go right back through it. Arrgghh.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:32 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

That's cool, you can rotate the earth for different views.
Ida still looks very organized
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Deja vu.
viewtopic.php?p=32654#p32654
bannination wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:45 pm
Real-Time Wind Map
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wi ... ,24.72,323

I thought it was kinda neat, especially after I realized you could rotate it. Thought I'd share.
viewtopic.php?p=80122#p80122
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm
... Aside: I was in hurricane force winds for weeks in the Southern Ocean. No fancy names, just 'Monday' or 'Thursday'. It really, really sucks.

Darn, I'd forgotten about this way cool real time global wind map that I think banni linked for us a long time ago. Just click and drag to change the view. You can see Ophelia and the typical Southern Ocean.
Staying way cool across the years.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I had no idea, or I would have watched.

http://www.northescambia.com/2021/11/sp ... bia-county

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:31 pm
I had no idea, or I would have watched.

http://www.northescambia.com/2021/11/sp ... bia-county
Bummer.
Here's How to See the Longest Lunar Eclipse of the Century on Nov. 19

... While the average lunar eclipse tends to last for about an hour, give or take, the Nov. 19 lunar eclipse will last for about three hours and 28 minutes....

Aside from being the longest partial lunar eclipse we'll see between 2001 and 2100, the Nov. 19 lunar eclipse is also reportedly the longest partial lunar eclipse that's occurred over the past 580 years, according to Holcomb Observatory. This is because the moon is farther away from Earth, making Earth's shadow larger and requiring more time to pass through it. Just like with any other lunar eclipse, you'll notice the moon turn a rusty shade of red (aka a "blood moon") during the Nov. 19 lunar eclipse and full moon, as Earth blocks the sun's illumination of the moon....

The best time to observe any lunar eclipse is at its peak, or when the moon has shifted as far into Earth's umbra, or shadow, as it'll go. The exact time the Nov. 19 lunar eclipse reaches its peak is, of course, relative to your time zone, but for most people, it'll be a late night or a super-early morning. This lunar eclipse will peak at 9:03 UTC, which translates to 1:03 a.m. PT and 4:03 a.m. ET. That said, you can see the beginnings of the lunar eclipse about three hours before its peak time, and you can watch it fade for another few hours after.
How to Watch the Nov. 19 Lunar Eclipse

The easiest way to see the Nov. 19 lunar eclipse? Look up.
:lol:
NASA reported the lunar event will be visible across all of North America and in some parts of South America, eastern Australia, Polynesia, and northeastern Asia. Sadly, other areas of the world may not be able to view the moon during its eclipse period. If you are in one of the prime viewing areas, assuming your view isn't blocked by buildings or other structures, you should notice the full moon shining brightly on the night of Nov. 18, leading into the entirety of the lunar eclipse in the early morning hours of Nov. 19. Set your alarms, and get ready for the longest (partial) lunar show of the century.
Looks like it will be "Mostly Clear" to "Clear" here. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Here's a story about space wars. They say it's already started. I think I missed it.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-next-war ... 01576.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:26 pm
Here's a story about space wars. They say it's already started. I think I missed it.
It's good to be old. Tech, AGW, extinction and resource depletion are looking to make for an unpleasant planet.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm
Here's How to See the Longest Lunar Eclipse of the Century on Nov. 19

... The best time to observe any lunar eclipse is at its peak, or when the moon has shifted as far into Earth's umbra, or shadow, as it'll go. The exact time the Nov. 19 lunar eclipse reaches its peak is, of course, relative to your time zone, but for most people, it'll be a late night or a super-early morning. This lunar eclipse will peak at 9:03 UTC, which translates to 1:03 a.m. PT and 4:03 a.m. ET. That said, you can see the beginnings of the lunar eclipse about three hours before its peak time, and you can watch it fade for another few hours after....
TONIGHT!

"Mostly Clear" to "Clear" here. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:26 pm
Well, what about the Jewish Space Lasers? No mention of those in the linked article.

Must be some sort of evil plot.

/s

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:18 pm
Poor obsessed and insecure Useless, my posting to a thread magically causes him to post to a thread that he'd abandoned months before. Maybe he gets hard being the more recent poster.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Moon to align with 3 planets on Friday evening

Jupiter, Saturn and Venus have lined up in the evening sky and will continue to be prominent features throughout most of December, but this week, the trio will get a visitor.

The easy-to-find planets, paired with the approaching peak of the Geminid meteor shower, make December a great month for evening stargazing. The only caveat is that the weather can be fickle during the long December nights, often offering frosty conditions on nights that are not cloudy.

This week in particular will provide a good opportunity to view the planetary alignment as the crescent moon will join the show, eventually falling in line with Jupiter, Saturn and Venus.

The moon started off the week next to Venus, and as the week progresses, it will continue to move up the chain, passing by Saturn and Jupiter. These close encounters will be great opportunities for photographers and stargazers with a telescope hoping to see a planet and the moon in the same field of view.

By Friday evening, the moon will be at the top of the line, appearing in the southwestern sky shortly after nightfall.

This celestial alignment will be visible around the world and even from cities where light pollution washes out dimmer stars. The only thing that is needed to enjoy the show is cloud-free weather, but using a telescope or pair of binoculars can reveal some of the bigger moons of Jupiter and Saturn....

Folks stepping outside to see the celestial alignment should also keep their eyes peeled for a few shooting stars.

The Geminid meteor shower peaks on the night of Dec. 13 into Dec. 14, but some meteors will streak through the sky in the nights leading up to the shower's culmination. It is also one of the only annual meteor showers that is active all night long with some meteors appearing as early as nightfall.

However, unlike the planetary alignment, the Geminids cannot be easily viewed in an area where there is human-created light pollution, so people are encouraged to take a trip to a darker area to enjoy the astronomical light show.
Tonight here - Partly cloudy :|
Fri - Cloudy :thumbdown:
Sat - Cloudy :thumbdown:
Sun - Partly cloudy :|
Mon - Clear :clap:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

We had a good view of them last night, though not totally in a row and we didn't know what we were looking at. Just nice moon and stars view. Friday should be clear. Thanks!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am
We had a good view of them last night, though not totally in a row and we didn't know what we were looking at. Just nice moon and stars view. Friday should be clear. Thanks!
Hazy here, was only able to see the Moon and I'm guessing Venus. May be Sun night before I get another shot.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

James Webb Space Telescope

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a space telescope jointly developed by NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA), and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA). It is planned to succeed the Hubble Space Telescope as NASA's flagship astrophysics mission. JWST is scheduled to be launched no earlier than 25 December 2021 during Ariane flight VA256. It will provide improved infrared resolution and sensitivity over Hubble, and will enable a broad range of investigations across the fields of astronomy and cosmology, including observing some of the most distant events and objects in the universe, such as the formation of the first galaxies, and detailed atmospheric characterization of potentially habitable exoplanets....

Website https://webbtelescope.org/
Fingers crossed. FU, science haters.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:03 pm
James Webb Space Telescope

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a space telescope jointly developed by NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA), and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA). It is planned to succeed the Hubble Space Telescope as NASA's flagship astrophysics mission. JWST is scheduled to be launched no earlier than 25 December 2021 during Ariane flight VA256. It will provide improved infrared resolution and sensitivity over Hubble, and will enable a broad range of investigations across the fields of astronomy and cosmology, including observing some of the most distant events and objects in the universe, such as the formation of the first galaxies, and detailed atmospheric characterization of potentially habitable exoplanets....

Website https://webbtelescope.org/
Fingers crossed. FU, science haters.
So what's going to happen when it needs repairs? -0-?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:04 pm
So what's going to happen when it needs repairs? -0-?
Launch and mission length
Main article: Ariane flight VA256

As of December 2021, the launch (designated Ariane flight VA256) is scheduled for no earlier than 25 December 2021 on an Ariane 5 launch vehicle from the Guiana Space Centre in French Guiana. The observatory attaches to the Ariane 5 launch vehicle via a launch vehicle adapter ring which could be used by a future spacecraft to grapple the observatory to attempt to fix gross deployment problems. However, the telescope itself is not serviceable, and astronauts would not be able to perform tasks such as swapping instruments, as with the Hubble Telescope.

The telescope's nominal mission time is five years, with a goal of ten years. The planned five-year science mission begins after a 6-month commissioning phase. JWST needs to use propellant to maintain its halo orbit around L2, which provides an upper limit to its designed lifetime, and it is being designed to carry enough for ten years. An L2 orbit is unstable, so it requires orbital station-keeping, or the telescope will drift away from this orbital configuration.
Ut-oh. You just ruined outer space xmas for me, thanks a lot.
1312. ETTD.