A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: A New Florida Man...

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:25 pm

point almost taken, but mad mattie will always be a North Carolinian.
Yeah he'll always have that "former Congressman ..(R-NC)" identifier. At least until he gets enough other "Florida Men" to vote him into office there. :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:29 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Yeah he'll always have that "former Congressman ..(R-NC)" identifier. At least until he gets enough other "Florida Men" to vote him into office there. :lol:
I think he moved into Byron Daniels district, so he'll look to carpetbag.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Re: A Florida Man...

Donalds? The black guy somebody nominated for Speaker?
I would have said Mad Maddie was totally unelectable anymore after his debacle in NC-11, but then along came Santos and pretty much there are no limits on sleaze or un-qualifications.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:46 pm
Donalds? The black guy somebody nominated for Speaker?
I would have said Mad Maddie was totally unelectable anymore after his debacle in NC-11, but then along came Santos and pretty much there are no limits on sleaze or un-qualifications.
Opps, yep. My bad.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Oh no, you're too kind, but we've already forgotten that the New Florida MadCaw ever was a North Carolinian. :P
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Oh no, you're too kind, but we've already forgotten that the New Florida MadCaw ever was a North Carolinian. :P
Like Canada and Bieber. NY and Trump.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:49 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Like Canada and Bieber. NY and Trump.
:thumbup: Mark Meadows? Who is Mark Meadows?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Guilfoyle who?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Another so-called Florida Man...

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/fl ... lid=630310

"Some gun advocates still not happy — Florida, however, will not go as far as other states and authorize the open carry of weapons in public. That drew the ire of conservatives such as former legislator — and now Lake County GOP Chair Anthony Sabatini — who called the bill being pushed by Renner and others as a “fake version of ‘constitutional carry.’” He added it was a “BIG win for Woke Disney-HUGE loss for conservatives."

First clue: like so many labeled as Florida man he doesn't have a Florida name. Could be that hisparents or grandparents moved from NY City before he was born, but he's still all full of NY and Italian values and doesn't give a shit about Florida, it's not home, it's just where he lives.

Here's Tony the ...

Former Member of the Florida House of Representatives

myfloridahouse.gov
Anthony Frank Sabatini is an American attorney and far-right politician who served as a member of the Florida House of Representatives from the 32nd district from 2018 to 2022. Wikipedia
Born: 1988 (age 34 years), Smithtown, NY

Spouse: Francheska Sabatini
Parents: Joseph Sabatini, Filomena Sabatini
Party: Republican Party
Education: University of Florida
Previous office: Member of the Florida House of Representatives (2018–2022)"

I seriously doubt that Francheska and Filomena are Florida Women names.

I lived in Floral City for 3 years, these NY people hate Florida and complain about everything Florida. The 4th grade teacher where I taught, got permission to drop Florida History so she could teach New York History because it was more interesting and relevant.
Their ignorance leads to doing stupid things that become Florida man stories.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:51 pm
... First clue: like so many labeled as Florida man he doesn't have a Florida name. Could be that hisparents or grandparents moved from NY City before he was born, but he's still all full of NY and Italian values and doesn't give a shit about Florida, it's not home, it's just where he lives....
Good call, but what's "a Florida name", pilgrim? Seminole? Spanish?
... Sabatini was born in Smithtown, New York, in 1988 and moved with his family to Florida the following year....
Cut him some slack. He's a Florida "Dreamer". :wave:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:51 pm
... First clue: like so many labeled as Florida man he doesn't have a Florida name. Could be that hisparents or grandparents moved from NY City before he was born, but he's still all full of NY and Italian values and doesn't give a shit about Florida, it's not home, it's just where he lives....
Good call, but what's "a Florida name", pilgrim? Seminole? Spanish?
... Sabatini was born in Smithtown, New York, in 1988 and moved with his family to Florida the following year....
Cut him some slack. He's a Florida "Dreamer". :wave:
You could go there in every state.

True Florida Crackers have more common US names based on English, Irish and Scottish names. Of course there are a few Italian, Polish and others, but if you eliminate the ones where family spent a few generations in NYC, it would be a very few.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fascist Florida Fashionistas...

‘Is This 2023?’ Miami Herald Expresses Disbelief At Florida GOP ‘Fashion Police’
The Republican-led Florida House's new dress code drew ire from the newspaper's editorial board.

Mostly targeting women, of course. :roll: :ateeth:
... “We do applaud the impulse to look more professional in the House. Acting more professional, though, is the real trick,” the board wrote. “One way to do that: Quit wasting time on the transparently cynical ‘woke’ wars pushed by Gov. DeSantis in his quest for the White House and focus on the real needs of the people.”
:thumbup:

Ftr, I briefly searched for 'NC legislature dress code'. Didn't find any, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Filomena is often a Greek name. Maybe she's a local from Tarpon Springs.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 pm
Filomena is often a Greek name. Maybe she's a local from Tarpon Springs.
Only if she traveled to NY to get a husband.

But you're right about old Tarpon Sprrings and as you say, they are part of the long established pool of Florida people.
Still, it's a very small percentage that didn't spread like those shown by Follow Marjorie Rawlings, Marjory Stoneman Douglas and others who wrote about early Florida (especially the guy who wrote about the scattered people in SW Florida who killed birds for plumage in late 19th century and early 20th. It's not so far back to the time before Ft. Myres had any paved roads and cattle heards were drive down the main dirt road through town.)

A downside to downsizing. A year ago I could have gone to the bookcase, but I can’t remember the author or the name of his book. When I read it 40+ years ago, he only had one other book. It was about the Galapagos Islands and it was too scholarly for me. If anyone has read it, please tell me his name.

O Really
Admiral

I'll help you look - I haven't read it but I know what you're referring to. There's a lot of information about the plume issue at the Audubon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary including an area where they used to hunt.
https://corkscrew.audubon.org/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:14 am
I'll help you look - I haven't read it but I know what you're referring to. There's a lot of information about the plume issue at the Audubon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary including an area where they used to hunt.
I think Watson is in the title

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:11 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:14 am
I think Watson is in the title
Some of us old people are slow thinkers

"Killing Mr. Watson" its a wonderful book and extremely accurate.

Whack should read it. In a way he reminds me of Cormick McCarthy

Vrede may know more about him.

Wikipedia
"Peter Matthiessen (May 22, 1927 – April 5, 2014) was an American novelist, naturalist, wilderness writer, zen teacher and CIA Operative.[1] A co-founder of the literary magazine The Paris Review, he was the only writer to have won the National Book Award in both nonfiction (The Snow Leopard, 1979, category Contemporary Thought) and fiction (Shadow Country, 2008).[2] He was also a prominent environmental activist."

"In 2008, at age 81, Matthiessen received the National Book Award for Fiction for Shadow Country, a one-volume, 890-page revision of his three novels set in frontier Florida that had been published in the 1990s.[4][5] According to critic Michael Dirda, "No one writes more lyrically [than Matthiessen] about animals or describes more movingly the spiritual experience of mountaintops, savannas, and the sea."[6]"

Killing Mr Watson makes up the first part of the 3 novels reworked as Shadow Country.

He beat these assholes
"Shortly after the 1983 publication of In the Spirit of Crazy Horse, Matthiessen and his publisher Viking Penguin were sued for libel by David Price, a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent, and William J. Janklow, the former South Dakota governor. The plaintiffs sought over $49 million in damages; Janklow also sued to have all copies of the book withdrawn from bookstores."

This is interesting

"In September of the following year came the field trip to Himalayan Nepal. Matthiessen later became a Buddhist priest of the White Plum Asanga.[19] He gave dharma transmission to three students: Sensei Madeline Ko-I Bastis, Sensei Michel Engu Dobbs, and Sensei Dorothy Dai-En Friedman.[20] Before practicing Zen, Matthiessen was an early pioneer of LSD. He said his Buddhism evolved fairly naturally from his drug experiences.[21] He argued that it was unfortunate that LSD had become outlawed over time, given its potentially beneficial effects as a spiritual and therapeutic tool (when administered with the right care and attention) and was critical of a figure such as Timothy Leary in terms of the long-term reputation of the drug.[22]

In 1980, Matthiessen married Maria Eckhart, born in Tanzania, in a Zen ceremony on Long Island"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:12 pm
... Vrede may know more about him....
:lol: You edited. I stumbled on Shadow Country (2008) earlier when I couldn't find a Wiki page for Killing Mr. Watson (1990), but didn't post about it at the time. I returned to do so, but you beat me to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mat ... e_lawsuits
... After four years of litigation, Federal District Court Judge Diana E. Murphy dismissed Price's lawsuit, upholding Matthiessen's "freedom to develop a thesis, conduct research in an effort to support the thesis, and to publish an entirely one-sided view of people and events." In the Janklow case, a South Dakota court also ruled for Matthiessen. Both cases were appealed. In 1990, the Supreme Court refused to hear Price's arguments, effectively ending his appeal. The South Dakota Supreme Court dismissed Janklow's case the same year. With the lawsuits concluded, the paperback edition of the book was finally published in 1992.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

I read The Snow Leopard (1978) long ago. Matthiessen was popular in hippie culture. I meant to read In the Spirit of Crazy Horse (1983), but never got around to it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

the top 5 states abandoned in 2022 - NJ, Illinois, NY, Michigan, Wyoming

It would be interesting to see the destinations

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/off-beat ... 00055.html

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:57 am
the top 5 states abandoned in 2022 - NJ, Illinois, NY, Michigan, Wyoming

It would be interesting to see the destinations

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/off-beat ... 00055.html
Damn, that's one of the worst-written articles I've seen in what should be a reputable source.
"Similarly to Illinois, 48.75% of residents earning more than $150,000 chose to leave the state, with 36.87% at age 65 or older." Seriously? In a state where the median salary is $75K and the average is $96K almost have of people making more than $150K left? Anyway, Florida was the top state to receive people overall, so there's a fair chance billy.p's gonna get some more neighbors.

Interesting too, that while "retirement" was mostly the top reason listed for leaving, retirement in itself is no reason to leave. Might it be weather? Desire to downsize? Cost of living? Notice also that the article did not address any incoming.

I think they probably gave that article assignment to some 8th grade kid as homework.