A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:47 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:57 am
the top 5 states abandoned in 2022 - NJ, Illinois, NY, Michigan, Wyoming

It would be interesting to see the destinations

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/off-beat ... 00055.html
Damn, that's one of the worst-written articles I've seen in what should be a reputable source.
"Similarly to Illinois, 48.75% of residents earning more than $150,000 chose to leave the state, with 36.87% at age 65 or older." Seriously? In a state where the median salary is $75K and the average is $96K almost have of people making more than $150K left? Anyway, Florida was the top state to receive people overall, so there's a fair chance billy.p's gonna get some more neighbors.

Interesting too, that while "retirement" was mostly the top reason listed for leaving, retirement in itself is no reason to leave. Might it be weather? Desire to downsize? Cost of living? Notice also that the article did not address any incoming.

I think they probably gave that article assignment to some 8th grade kid as homework.
I agree about the article, but I think I can explain retirement as a reason based on my wife’s NY family and my various encounters while living in Floral City, Florida (central Florida). Of course I can’t offer statistics and only have my pinhole observations, but there are a lot of people who see Florida as a goal of retirement. Mostly it's that these people would suffer huge pay cuts to move before retirement and some follow their kids who moved there after college or moved there for college.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:22 am

I agree about the article, but I think I can explain retirement as a reason based on my wife’s NY family and my various encounters while living in Floral City, Florida (central Florida). Of course I can’t offer statistics and only have my pinhole observations, but there are a lot of people who see Florida as a goal of retirement. Mostly it's that these people would suffer huge pay cuts to move before retirement and some follow their kids who moved there after college or moved there for college.
Agreed, and it's almost a stereotype of guys wanting to retire and wear their black socks and sandals on the beach, play pickleball (used to be bocce or mah jong) and complain about the government full time. No doubt. But that begs the question of why they couldn't do that in Utica or wherever. And the answer in most all instances is going to be weather and taxes. Florida has long tried to be a retirement haven - even naming St. Petersburg as Heaven's waiting room.

I used to laugh at people I met who moved to Florida to get out of the cold and then spent most of the year bitching about the heat/humidity. Like you didn't know it was hot/humid before you moved there?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:22 am

Agreed, and it's almost a stereotype of guys wanting to retire and wear their black socks and sandals on the beach, play pickleball (used to be bocce or mah jong) and complain about the government full time. No doubt. But that begs the question of why they couldn't do that in Utica or wherever. And the answer in most all instances is going to be weather and taxes. Florida has long tried to be a retirement haven - even naming St. Petersburg as Heaven's waiting room.

I used to laugh at people I met who moved to Florida to get out of the cold and then spent most of the year bitching about the heat/humidity. Like you didn't know it was hot/humid before you moved there?
Bingo
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Your newest Florida resident...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:16 pm
Your newest Florida resident...

https://sadanduseless.b-cdn.net/wp-cont ... dals11.jpg
"sadanduseless"
He moved to Florida? Lucky billy.pilgrim, MadCaw and Useless!
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Not useless.

I'm not sure about the picture on the right, but the one on the left us pretty close.
1) sandals must almost completely encase feet.
2) dark business type socks a must, extra points for over the calf
3) all clothes must be purchased in original state before, or long before retirement. Business pant, especially 60s plaid, may be cut and hemmed for Bermuda shorts
4) shirts may be most anything brought from home state, or purchased at Flea Market or tourist destination - if necessary there are floral shirts at Bealls
5) hats are generally straw fedoras

Overall, as long as no money is spent in Florida, other than at restaurants during the old people 4 p.m. early dinner feedings, and on real estate. There is still a huge market for $50,000 (no property tax on homestead properties under 50K) and under housing; after all, these people (according to them) already paid their share of taxes.

It's different further south, but that was the rule in citrus County and in much of St Pete.

O Really, don't we have some common history in the 5 Towns?

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:35 pm

5 Towns?

BTW, the pic on the right just came along - they're both part of one image. Left side is representative.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:48 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

5 Towns?

BTW, the pic on the right just came along - they're both part of one image. Left side is representative.
Must have been someone else - maybe Boat. It's a huge old people development in St. Pete.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:32 pm

Must have been someone else - maybe Boat. It's a huge old people development in St. Pete.
Nope. Wasn't me. I've spent a good bit of time around West Central, but mostly Clearwater, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs. Limited time in St. Pete - Grand Prix, Dali Museum, baseball game, etc.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Not useless.

I'm not sure about the picture on the right, but the one on the left us pretty close.
3) all clothes must be purchased in original state before, or long before retirement. Business pant, especially 60s plaid, may be cut and hemmed for Bermuda shorts
4) shirts may be most anything brought from home state, or purchased at Flea Market or tourist destination - if necessary there are floral shirts at Bealls

Overall, as long as no money is spent in Florida, other than at restaurants during the old people 4 p.m. early dinner feedings, and on real estate. There is still a huge market for $50,000 (no property tax on homestead properties under 50K) and under housing; after all, these people (according to them) already paid their share of taxes.

It's different further south, but that was the rule in citrus County and in much of St Pete....
MAGA hats or are those mostly natives?
What do they drive?
Where do they go on vacation?
Do different types settle in different parts of FL?
Do different origin-state folks settle in different parts of FL? How about the Canucks?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:47 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Not useless.

It's different further south, but that was the rule in citrus County and in much of St Pete....
What do they drive?
Do different origin-state folks settle in different parts of FL? How about the Canucks?
Maga hats post date my experience, but I'm sure they dominate
Lincolns
New buffet across town
Yes, same as in home state, they feel more comfortable when all are same
Yes, they feel more comfortable when all are same
They're everywhere in winter

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

What do they drive?
Lot of New Yorkers southeast
Lot of Michiganders around Oldsmar (that's an interesting story)
Lot of Canadians around Naples
Lot of Greeks around Tarpon Springs
Lot of people in northeast FL and western NC go back and forth and have vacation places.
Lots of rednecks in their native habitat in Baker County.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:03 pm
Vrede too wrote:
What do they drive?
Lincolns
New buffet across town
:lol: I don't really don't care about FL immigrants, but I love your descriptions of them.

Hey everybody, con fight! Anti-taxxers and the voter majority vs developers and Fascist DerSantis.
Spoiler:

Developers and Fascist DerSantis are winning bigly.
The Villages Vendetta
How a Grassroots Revolt in the Iconic Retirement Community Ended With a 72-Year-Old Political Prisoner
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:03 pm
Vrede too wrote:
What do they drive?
Lincolns
New buffet across town
:lol: I don't really don't care about FL immigrants, but I love your descriptions of them.

Hey everybody, con fight! Anti-taxxers and the voter majority vs developers and Fascist DerSantis.
Spoiler:

Developers and Fascist DerSantis are winning bigly.
The Villages Vendetta
How a Grassroots Revolt in the Iconic Retirement Community Ended With a 72-Year-Old Political Prisoner
Carl Hiaasen may be the best describer of Florida people, especially the Miami types.

His skink character is among the best of the original cracker types and to some slight degree may have been modeled after Lawton Childes

Wiki says - Clinton Tyree, a.k.a. Skink, is a fictional character who has appeared in several novels by Carl Hiaasen, beginning with Double Whammy in 1987. He is a former governor of Florida who suddenly abandoned his office to live in the wilderness, most often the Everglades and, later, the Florida Keys. Tyree is depicted as a skilled outdoorsman, a partaker of roadkill cuisine, and a fierce and slightly unhinged opponent of sprawl and overdevelopment in the state.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:37 am
This may explain a lot:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad ... gn=KARANGA
I may be back.

I had no ideas of the details of this insanity.

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_me ... st-common/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Florida coast...

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:05 pm
O Really wrote:
This may explain a lot:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64831778
I may be back.

'Brain-eating Amoeba' would be a great sports mascot.

Burning eyes, dead fish; red tide flares up on Florida coast

Pffft, Fascist DerSantis and the GQP Leg are busy doing important things like attacking trans kids and protecting Whites from having their widdle feewings hurt by accurate History being taught.
If you stack up enough banned books you can block off the beach.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: A Florida coast...

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:32 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:05 pm
O Really wrote:
This may explain a lot:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64831778
I may be back.

'Brain-eating Amoeba' would be a great sports mascot.

Burning eyes, dead fish; red tide flares up on Florida coast

Yuck is an understatement.

I remember red tide from my days in Sarasota in the mid 70's. Thousands of baby hammerhead and lemon sharks washed up on the beach....and the smell 🤢.

Jaques Cousteau and Calypso even came to study it, I saw Calypso off the beach on Longboat Key.

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/10/23/arch ... =url-share
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:10 pm

Yuck is an understatement.

I remember red tide from my days in Sarasota in the mid 70's. Thousands of baby hammerhead and lemon sharks washed up on the beach....and the smell 🤢.
We left South Florida in the spring of 2019, and there had been particularly bad red tide mostly north of us (Ft Myers and up), but for what seemed like weeks at a time the TV news would show a clip of somebody walking around on a dead-fish filled beach. Long after it was "news", it would be almost like the Covid reports to come later, reporting the kills of the day.

Nasty stuff. Maybe somebody should start a story that red tide causes people to turn gay and become woke and then maybe DeFacist will take care of it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:50 pm
... Nasty stuff. Maybe somebody should start a story that red tide causes people to turn gay and become woke and then maybe DeFacist will take care of it.
:D It's drag queen makeup and boa dye that has washed into the Gulf. Also, dead fish are being found with stomachs full of sequins.
1312. ETTD.